Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,147 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months (297 Views)

Boko Haram Kills Army Lieutenant, Six Others On Borno-Yobe Road / Atiku Wins 18 Lgas, Garners 366, 592 Votes In Oyo / Atiku Reacts To Hauwa Liman's Death As Boko Haram Kills Aid Worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by agwom(m): 8:26am On Dec 05, 2020
No fewer than 657 civilians have been killed by the Boko Haram in the last 11 months, a tally by Daily Trust and an international agency has shown.

The terrorists have also killed 592 state actors including security operatives, government officials, humanitarian workers, civilian task force, and others.

This brings the number of people killed to 1,249.

Thousands of people have been killed by the Boko Haram terrorists in the last 11 years, and like some of those that occurred this year, many killings are hardly reported by the media because of some obvious reasons.

As the year 2021 is inching closer, many families, especially in Borno and Yobe states would live to remember 2020 as an ugly one that deprived them of their loved ones.

The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) in its Nigeria Security Tracker shows that 657 civilians have been killed by Boko Haram between January and November 2020.

The CFR’s Nigeria Security Tracker is an effort to catalogue and map political violence based on a weekly survey of the Nigerian and international press.

CFR is a nonpartisan membership organisation, founded in 1921, that works on providing a resource for its members; government officials, journalists and other interested citizens to help them better understand the world.

The council, which relied on press reports of violence in its report, noted that there is a dearth of accurate reporting across certain regions, death tolls are imprecise, and accounts of incidents vary.

The tracker showed that 179 civilians were killed in June – the highest in 2020, followed by November with 130, while 81 and 52 civilian deaths were recorded in January and August respectively. March had the least with 13 deaths followed by April with 24.

However, newspaper reports compiled by Daily Trust Saturday showed that 396 people were killed by Boko Haram under the period in review.

“There is the potential for political manipulation of the media. Given these limitations, the NST makes every effort to collect information from multiple sources. Nevertheless, NST statistics should be viewed as indicative rather than definitive,” the council said on its website, adding that the Nigeria Security Tracker was edited by Ralph Bunche Senior Fellow for Africa Studies, John Campbell.

As the council reported, this number, however, could rise as several cases were either unreported or exact number of causalities unknown as was the case with the farmers killed in Zabarmari, Jere Local Government Area of Borno State which fuelled calls for President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the service chiefs.

There have also been calls in some quarters for the resignation of the president due to the growing insecurity in the country. The presidency described such calls as irresponsible.

Nightmares of Borno residents

Victims and survivors of insurgency in Borno State live with shattered dreams and sleepless nights from gory images of how their loved ones were killed.

A lecturer with the University of Maiduguri, Musa Aji, said his pregnant wife and father-in-law were shot dead by the insurgents in separate incidences.

“I always remember the memories of my late wife,” he said.

He lives with the memory that his wife and unborn child died because of his profession as he was the prime target.

According to him, “The insurgents killed my wife because they suspected she aided my escape.

“I have two wives living in separate areas in Maiduguri. I was not in the house of the deceased wife when they came and asked for me. She told them I was not around but when she discovered their identity and mission, she warned me to stay away otherwise they would lay in wait and kill me and I heeded her advice,” he said.

The lecturer sought refuge at the university where the authorities offered him accommodation at a guest house and a few days later, the killers returned to the house and requested to know his whereabouts from his pregnant wife.

“She called and said the same individuals returned and asked for me and she told them I was not around and they left,” he said.

However, when the insurgents discovered that the woman had revealed their identity to her husband, they resolved to kill her.

“They were at my house two weeks after their first visit but my wife told them I was not in. They probably assumed she shielded me from an attack after discovering who they were and they opened fire on her.

“It was hard for me; she was pregnant when she was killed and left behind six children. It took time to unite the kids with my second wife,” he said.

The father of the deceased woman, according to the university don, who was an assistant comptroller with the Nigeria Correctional Service, was shot dead in front of his house where he was sleeping on a mat.

“He was killed six months before his daughter,” he said.

According to him, there was no end in sight to the insurgency despite the concerted efforts of the authorities and there was the need to involve the community members in counterinsurgency.

Another survivor of Boko Haram attack in Baga, Ibrahim Modu, said he has not seen his 11-year-old son since a major attack was launched on the town on January 3, 2014.

“My son who had just completed basic education disappeared in that attack and I have not heard anything about him since then. Many drowned in the lake while dozens were killed,” he said.

https://dailytrust.com/b-haram-kills-657-civilians-592-officials-in-11-months
Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by Yenefer(f): 8:28am On Dec 05, 2020
A nation that can't provide security to its citizens can't control its future.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by yanabasee(m): 8:32am On Dec 05, 2020
Buratai said this is the begining of their killings that they will be technically defeated in the next 20yrs.....

He's now sensing that there could be a plot for coup...... If not for a total clueless and inept leadership of the current president, who will be planning a coup?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by Marine54(m): 8:40am On Dec 05, 2020
North keep dragging the country backwards, since time Immemorial.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by helinues: 8:43am On Dec 05, 2020
Counting the scores as if na cultism palava
Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by 116sixteen: 8:48am On Dec 05, 2020
[s]
helinues:
Counting the scores as if na cultism palava
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by Ottyn01(m): 8:54am On Dec 05, 2020
Point of correction:

Buhari and Buratai killed 657 civilians, 592 officials lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by ULOPVQ: 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
Yenefer:
A nation that can't provide security to its citizens can't control its future.

Well said, Yenefer, and when it reaches that level the nation is gearing up to become a failed state.
Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2020
More like 5000
Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by Myhusband(m): 5:27pm On Dec 05, 2020
they tried, equivalent to 700 in 12 months, Lai Mohammed concern is social media regulation, Buhari concern is endsars prosecution, CBN concern is freezing of endsars, police concern is challenging endsars panel committee, min of agric concern is locking everyone in Nigeria, the northerners concerns is who emerged in 2023 and hisbah arresting and prosecuting drinks and indecent dressing

in all this jokes, people are praying for Allah and God to end BHT and other insecurities when their priority is set on wrong channel
Re: Boko Haram Kills 657 Civilians, 592 Officials In 11 Months by Racoon(m): 5:32pm On Dec 05, 2020
See as a self inflicted insurgency have claimed the lives of precious Nigerians while the government on seat is granting their killers executive freedom & special privileges thereby rewarding terrorism.Nigeria is a failed state.

(1) (Reply)

Service Chiefs Should Recommend Their Successors –fayemi / Gov Sani Bello And Other Dignitaries Pay Last Respect To Alhaji Aliyu Datti / Buhari Orders Immediate Opening Of Four Land Borders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.