Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone (24289 Views)

Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On 20+ Million Phones / Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Their Manufacture Phone / Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On More Than 20 Million Un (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by AdaugoChisom(f): 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2020
Drshobz:

Nne am also having the same issue
Too many ads
How do you stop the installer and file manager access to internet
TerrorSquad147:
please how did you do it?

shidof:
how did you do that?

Locate the app then goto app information, select Restrict data usage. Uncheck the Sims and if their is WiFi option uncheck it too. This also apply to other apps you don't want to access internet.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by civilserva: 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2020
meobizy:
Nairalanders will never believe this. A user mentioned this since 2013, he got ridiculed off this platform.

True
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by PaulucheBusines: 3:26pm On Dec 08, 2020
Is Tecno brand not cleared from this?
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by fineboynl(m): 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2020
there is little or no profit from low end Chinese phones. those trajon and malware is where they get this profit from. iPhone and samsong makes their money from exorbitant price sales while cheap phone makes from ads trajon malware.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by OdaNobunaga(m): 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ikillbrokehoes:
This is why I don't use Chinese phones, those guys can spy on someone's privacy like mad, stupid people, I will advise guys here of you have money buy a Samsung phone or Google pixel,they are the best

What of HTC phones?
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Worksunlimited: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2020
Mutemenot:

Fear Chinese bro, not just their phone... Those guys 're trickish like we Nigerians

Buh na una travel go there go dey teach them the bad things in the first place na....

So una teach them make dem no for practice am abi?
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2020
Mutemenot:
Chinko phone users never see sumtin, if it's not Samsung or Iphone, bro keep it for yaself

You deserve one chilled bottle of pepsi cool cool cool

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by fennels007(m): 3:40pm On Dec 08, 2020
No be lie!!!!

My Gionee GN5005 always pop up advert whenever I'm installing app.

Please I need help on how to root this GN5005.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Emperor4tune(m): 3:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
oyibo understand this,that is why they send down those trash to africa & we buy it under fancy names like,transion,uk used,belgium,tecno,itel,infinix, total rubbish set of plastic toys

1 Like

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by exynos(m): 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
That's how my gionee s10 lite keeps deducting me anytime I recharge my phone till it's exhausted.

The story locker is an advertisement strategy.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by ddjay: 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
YangaBabe:
This is really bad for their business,but why is op mentioning TECNO? Cos I have never experienced such on my TECNO device
The source; gsmarena.com mentioned tecno and infinix

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by ddjay: 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2020
Breastfeed:
I wonder what is bringing TECNO into this o, they have been cleared of this allegations long ago na
Referring to them as an example
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by ddjay: 3:58pm On Dec 08, 2020
Sunkanmiwise:
TECNO has cleared their issues since now, why bringing them into an issue that doesn't concern them. Too much unnecessary hatred in this space.
As in"for example" besides, it was gsmarena.com that mentioned them
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by ubyways(m): 4:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
This is so true, some ilicit apps installed automatically with out my authorization. Same with ilicit ads, although still using my s11 of 2 years.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
domack99:
The Chinese court has published a verdict on a case involving the Chinese smartphone maker Gionee. It seems that Gionee planted a Trojan Horse on more than 20 million devices to get money from unsolicited ads and other malicious activities without the user's knowledge.

The Shenzhen Zhipu Technology Co. Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Gionee, has implanted a Trojan Horse through a software update using the so-called "Story Lock Screen" app. The first devices infected with the "Dark Horse Program" were in December 2018. The job was carried out until October 2019 and for that period, the company is said to have earned around $4.2 million, affecting 21.75 million smartphones. The expenses for that period are just a little below $1.3 million.

Xu Li, Zhu Ying, Jia Zhengqiang and Pan Qi were found guilty in the process of illegally controlling mobile devices and are sentenced from 3 to 3.5 years in prison along with a CNY 200,000 (~$30,000) fine each.

Although shocking, this seems to be a common practice with cheap Chinese smartphones and other companies were also found guilty of the same
malicious activity and Tecno is one of them.

https://www.gsmarena.com/chinese_finds_gionee_guilty_of_planting_malware_on_more_than_20_million_units-news-46613.php
Use good phones, you no go ear, abi shey me self dey use good phone ni
Time to sue xender too
They need to explain why the require your GPS to connect, (2) why they download the updated version of thier app without you knowing, only for them to ask you to install it, (3) Why they send unknown apps to someone phone along with other files you're sending.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Hassanmaye(m): 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
TinubuGoQuench:
I have known that there's something fishy about Gionee. Na dis thing make me dash my gionee phone to one faithful olosho wey dey service me steady for my area
Wicked boy grin

1 Like

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by officialfestus(m): 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
gionee phones can hot,them be like pressing iron.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 08, 2020
saxby:
As they found them guilty have they now banned them from producing phones
They wouldn't, they would only fine them
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Babaalajo(m): 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2020
SpeedyHitman:
Akeem!
from where cool
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by petitejolie(f): 4:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ikillbrokehoes:
This is why I don't use Chinese phones, those guys can spy on someone's privacy like mad, stupid people, I will advise guys here of you have money buy a Samsung phone or Google pixel,they are the best
those ones too could have their spy ware in d phones
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by dicksonohm(m): 4:36pm On Dec 08, 2020
.... And those two phone you mentioned are made in Iraq, abi?

Mutemenot:
Chinko phone users never see sumtin, if it's not Samsung or Iphone, bro keep it for yaself
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by kunkelhanspeter(m): 4:48pm On Dec 08, 2020
If no be iPhone imported directly from USA direct I no they use
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by elantraceey(f): 4:52pm On Dec 08, 2020
AdaugoChisom:
Even my Redmi 8 shows ads each time I'm installing apps and through file manager. I have to denied the installer and file manager access to internet.

It is not unknown that redmi comes with ads but you can stop it by turning of recommendation in settings.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by CastroTbb(m): 4:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
Sunmoluvic:

Use good phones, you no go ear, abi shey me self dey use good phone ni
Time to sue xender too
They need to explain why the require your GPS to connect, (2) why they download the updated version of thier app without you knowing, only for them to ask you to install it, (3) Why they send unknown apps to someone phone along with other files you're sending.

I thought I was the only one that noticed these.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by seanwilliam(m): 5:21pm On Dec 08, 2020
austinvsb:
I hope the ignorant kids up here shouting Chinese phones are aware that all their iPhones and Samsungs and most popular phone brands in the world are produced in china? If not for the massive industrial scaling in china, your newest iPhone will cost you upward of 3 million naira. And you can clearly see the government is against this, judging by the prosecution and indictment in the article.

Use your heads before typing stupid

iPhones are produced in China just because of cheap labors. All the materials used in it production are sourced from USA.. so talk of data security , iPhone is safe compared to Chinese brand

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by Benemond(m): 5:23pm On Dec 08, 2020
domack99:
The Chinese court has published a verdict on a case involving the Chinese smartphone maker Gionee. It seems that Gionee planted a Trojan Horse on more than 20 million devices to get money from unsolicited ads and other malicious activities without the user's knowledge.

The Shenzhen Zhipu Technology Co. Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Gionee, has implanted a Trojan Horse through a software update using the so-called "Story Lock Screen" app. The first devices infected with the "Dark Horse Program" were in December 2018. The job was carried out until October 2019 and for that period, the company is said to have earned around $4.2 million, affecting 21.75 million smartphones. The expenses for that period are just a little below $1.3 million.

Xu Li, Zhu Ying, Jia Zhengqiang and Pan Qi were found guilty in the process of illegally controlling mobile devices and are sentenced from 3 to 3.5 years in prison along with a CNY 200,000 (~$30,000) fine each.

Although shocking, this seems to be a common practice with cheap Chinese smartphones and other companies were also found guilty of the same
malicious activity and Tecno is one of them.

https://www.gsmarena.com/chinese_finds_gionee_guilty_of_planting_malware_on_more_than_20_million_units-news-46613.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gl1Hkd_Ec
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by seanwilliam(m): 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2020
kunkelhanspeter:
If no be IPhone importantly from USA direct I no they use
u meant imported directly from USA
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by ibietela2(m): 5:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
AdaugoChisom:
Even my Redmi 8 shows ads each time I'm installing apps and through file manager. I have to denied the installer and file manager access to internet.

Tecno and Infinix
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by iammolise(m): 5:47pm On Dec 08, 2020
Sweet bannicles!!! shocked
I currently use a Gionee smartphone... Could this be true, could some company have ungranted assess to my phone

This is worrisome news angry
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by maclawrence02(m): 6:03pm On Dec 08, 2020
AdaugoChisom:
Go to the settings of each of the system app that shows ads and disable recommendations. Better still visit the Xiaomi thread you will see more details.
Re: Chinese Court Finds Gionee Guilty Of Planting Malware On Mobile Phone by DisLifeSha: 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
You think the creators of these phones can't stylishly have a malware in their phones too. You don't know more than those who created these phones

Mutemenot:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Musk: Say What You Want About Me, I Bought Twitter For $44b / Oppo Reno 2 Unboxing And Review After 1 Month Of Use / Etisalat 1GB For Just #500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.