Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? (2737 Views)

Which Nigerian Food Would You Confidently Offer A Foreigner? (pics) / What Is The Best Seasoning For Nigerian Fried Rice Color / Which Nigerian Local Rice Brand Is The Best ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Naijabitexx(m): 10:24am On Dec 09, 2020
The Nigerian seasoning market is growing rapidly with new products making their way into the market.
Food seasoning has formed a very important aspect of cooking in Nigeria. Before the colonial era, local seasonings such as IRU, OGIRI, AYIAH and DAWADAWA, were used for seasoning and is still featured in most Nigerian cooking.

Seasoning is a very important aspect of cooking because it determines the taste of the food. With the right cooking experience and right choice of seasoning brand, the meal becomes something of which the family and community relishes.

On this edition of NaijaBite Kitchen Review, we have compiled the most popular food seasoning brands in Nigeria which storm the market, storms the kitchen and most importantly appeases the stomach.
The most popular Nigerian Food Seasoning brands that are leading the peak in customer satisfaction and awareness are, Maggi Star, from the phylum of Nestle Foods, Knorr and Royco both produced by Unilever.
We would be looking at the top two seasoning cubes in Nigeria which are, Maggi Star and Knorr, it's history in Nigeria, data health benefits and it's variations.

MAGGI STAR:
Maggi star is an internationally owned brand, produced by Nestle, it was founded in 1872, by a Swiss entrepreneur, called Julius Maggi.
It first showed face in the Nigerian market and kitchen in the year 1918, that is two years after the 1914 amalgamation of the southern and northern Protectorate of Nigeria. Proudly enough Maggi seasoning cubes took its name after Julius Maggi.
It was first distributed within the major cities and major markets before it became a household name for seasonings in Nigeria.

INGREDIENTS OF MAGGI STAR SEASONING CUBE.
The Maggi Star seasoning cube is made with:
Iodized Salt,
Sugar,
Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate),
Maize Starch,
Vegetable Fat (Palm),
Hydrolysed Soya Beans,
Water,
Colour (Ammonia Caramel),
Onion,
Ferric Pyrophosphate,
Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin),
Spice Extracts (White Pepper, Chilli, Clove),
Flavouring,
Yeast Extract.

The Maggi Star has many variations unlike knor which is just two.
The variations are: Chicken, Crayfish, Onion Epice, Naija Pot, Star, Mutton, Kari, Safsafal, Nokoss, and Golden Beef.
In 2019, Maggi Star company said it sells about 100 million cubes everyday.
A packet of Maggi Star contains 100 cubes, and it weighs 400g. It costs about $1.5 which is equivalent, 750naira if converted with the current dollar exchange to naira.
Maggi Star is used in cooking all Nigerian foods that requires seasoning, and we are not surprised at the daily amount of Maggi Star cubes sold.

KNORR CUBE:
Just like Maggi Star, Knorr seasoning cubes also is an international owned brand, produced by Unilever. It was founded by Carl Heinrich Knorr, in the year 1912.
The first Knorr Bouillon cube was introduced and sold to many countries, it's one of worlds seasoning cube brand, as it is sold in over 80 countries. This cube was introduced in Nigeria, and after being bought from Cadbury by Unilever, it has remained in the choice list of Nigerians.

INGREDIENTS OF KNORR CUBE:
Iodized salt,
Flavour enhancers(E621, E627, E631),
Sugar,
Corn starch,
Vegetable fat,
Onion powder,
Spices,
Flavouring (contains egg),
Garlic powder,
Chicken powder,
Ferric pyrophosphate,
Herb,
Water,
Citric acid,
Sodium pyrophosphate.

Knorr seasoning cubes has lesser variation compared to Maggi Star.
It's mostly in its bouillon cube, and chicken cube.
A packet of knor Seasoning cube contains about, 55 dupli-cubes.
The dupli-cube is one peculiar thing about knorr cubes, and a packet costs about $2 and it's 1000naira if converted using the current dollar to naira exchange rate.

OTHER SEASONING CUBE BRANDS IN NIGERIA:
It won't make enough sense if other seasoning cubes in Nigeria markets are not mentioned.
Cubes such as:
Mr Chef,
Royco,
Mamador,
PZ Wilmar,
Devon cubes,
Doyin,
Prime seasoning etc.

These are other popular cubes in Nigeria.

KNOR VS MAGGI STAR:
The battle between these top Nigerian seasonings brands, is so wholesome that even with the introduction of other brands, knorr and Maggi Star cubes has always been placed on top.
Knorr and Maggi Star cubes are the most popular seasoning cubes in Nigeria and virtually Africa and is being ranked as best by many people.
Knorr cubes is the costliest seasoning cube in Nigeria yet its popularity is wholesome even in the poverty capital of the world. This shows that Nigerians really go for quality.
These brands are the leaders in their various market segments and none can be disregarded because they appreciate, brand equity, consumer loyalty, sales, quality, and brand awareness.

During an opinion polls by NAIRAMETRICS, about what seasoning brand is most preferred in Nigeria, it was found that 33.2% votes were for Maggi Star, 57.9% for Knor Cubes, 4.5% for Royco and 4.3% for other brands.
This poll was done by 1,210 voters and it represents about 89.7% of people below 40 years of age.
This Large percentage for youths where because it was conducted on Twitter.

See Opinion polls results Below
http://www.naijabite.com.ng/2020/12/knor-cube-vs-maggi-star-which-is-most.html
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Tenshades(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2020
Blended crayfish is BETTER than these chemicals.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by BBBmall25: 10:32am On Dec 09, 2020
Knor cube any day then follow star maggi and lastly royco

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by donbachi(m): 10:34am On Dec 09, 2020
Ajinomoto

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by fanzine(f): 12:06pm On Dec 10, 2020
Gino cube for now
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Amhappy(f): 3:31pm On Dec 11, 2020
I have been using Knorr like forever but heard recently that maggi has less of flour enhancers MSG and co. Such maggi is a healthier option but knorr is sweeter lol
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Exodora: 11:14pm On Dec 12, 2020
Maggi star is too salty .
Knorr gives me running stomach but with continuous use am fine , If I stopped using it it bounced
For me Royco anytime any day.
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Naijabitexx(m): 8:10pm On Dec 13, 2020
donbachi:
Ajinomoto

;Dat one na die be that
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Naijabitexx(m): 8:11pm On Dec 13, 2020
Exodora:
Maggi star is too salty .
Knorr gives me running stomach but with continuous use am fine , If I stopped using it it bounced
For me Royco anytime any day.

Yes Royco is good , but I prefer knorr chicken
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Naijabitexx(m): 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2020
Amhappy:
I have been using Knorr like forever but heard recently that maggi has less of flour enhancers MSG and co. Such maggi is a healthier option but knorr is sweeter lol

Yes ooh, knorr is sweeter, Maggi is too salty
Re: Have You Ever Wondered Which Nigerian Seasoning Cube Brand Is Best? by Naijabitexx(m): 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2020
Can you imagine someone prepares semo with salt and oil. Lol the thing off me, I swear. http://www.naijabite.com.ng/2020/12/how-to-prepare-nigerian-swallow-eba.html

(1) (Reply)

Please Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Moi-moi With Beans Flour / Which Nigerian Tribe Eat Meat Pass? / Do you have Garri at home, make this Kokoro (Nigerian Snacks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.