Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? (1204 Views)

Even Soudi Arabia Can Summon All Africa Nations For Sommit / FG Must Summon The Finnish Ambassador, Simon The Rat Ekpa Must Be Repriatriated / Salihu Yakasai: No Government Can Condone Sanusi’s Criticisms – Ganduje’s Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 2:51am On Dec 10, 2020
I have been reading comments from various lawyers and SANs across the country, and the truth is none of them can point to any section of the constitution that says the national assembly can summon the President at will. There is simply no such provision in our constitution. The framers of the constitution made the President the single most powerful entity on the planet.

Those comparing nigeria to america are only delusional. American constitution is even worse. The congress can't even summon cabinet officers let alone the President.

All our media-obssessed political lawyers especially Ozhekome have laid out so far seems to be gibberish with nothing concrete. They should simply show us the constitution provision that mandates the president to appear at the national assembly whenever they call. And if he doesn't can they sue him to Court

I stand to be corrected though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by techmo(m): 3:02am On Dec 10, 2020
National Assembly can subpoena anybody including the President

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 3:08am On Dec 10, 2020
techmo:
National Assembly can subpoena anybody including the President

Read that section very well. Which case are they investigating
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Freestainworld(m): 3:12am On Dec 10, 2020
He can't be summoned because the north's are comfortable with the killings there

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by techmo(m): 3:13am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

Death of 43 Nigerians killed by Boko Haram is the cause of the investigation and enquiry

Section 88 of the 1999 constitution states that the National Assembly “shall have power by resolution to direct or cause to be directed investigation into any matter or thing with respect to which it has power to make laws and the conduct of affairs of any person, authority, ministry or government department charged or intended to be charged with the duty of or responsibility for executing or administering laws enacted by the National Assembly.”

What the President has immuinity from is an Arrest or prosecution not summons

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 3:17am On Dec 10, 2020
techmo:

Death of 43 Nigerians killed by Boko Haram is the cause of the investigation and enquiry

Section 88 of the 1999 constitution states that the National Assembly “shall have power by resolution to direct or cause to be directed investigation into any matter or thing with respect to which it has power to make laws and the conduct of affairs of any person, authority, ministry or government department charged or intended to be charged with the duty of or responsibility for executing or administering laws enacted by the National Assembly.”

What the President has immuinity from is an Arrest or prosecution not summons

That section u quoted now, show me where it said national assembly can SUMMON the President. Read well before u copy and paste. To "direct investigation" is not the same thing as "SUMMON president".
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by techmo(m): 3:27am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

That section u quoted now, show me where it said national assembly can SUMMON the President. Read well before u copy and paste. To "direct investigation" is not the same thing as "SUMMON president".

Section 89 (2) that “a summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or any person authorized in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives.”

The Assembly can summon anybody in Nigeria..

If Buhari Foolishly want to balkanise the law for selfish gain that would end in 2023, he should understand he wants to set a very bad precedence

This isn't copy and paste I got my own hard copy of the constitution and can read clearly

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 3:34am On Dec 10, 2020
techmo:

Section 89 (2) that “a summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or any person authorized in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives.”

The Assembly can summon anybody in Nigeria..

If Buhari Foolishly want to balkanise the law for selfish gan that would end in 2023, he should understand he wants to set a very bad president precedence

This isn't copy and paste I got my own hard copy of the constitution and can read clearly

Well the President remain the commander in chief of the armed forces including Nigerian Police. So goodluck with your summons

But more importantly, u conveniently pretended not to see the proviso to section 88.

88(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to ¬
(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and
(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

So I ask again, how does summoning a President at will fall under the section u quoted Which law is house of rep making Is there any bill before the house for deliberation in relation to this summons

Pls let's say the law as it is, not as we wish it to be.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by ivandragon: 3:41am On Dec 10, 2020
89(1)c...

The law, however, is an ass & cannot provide for nor envisage every single situation.

There are also the issues of political expediency, moral obligation & character.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 3:49am On Dec 10, 2020
ivandragon:
89(1)c...

The law, however, is an ass & cannot provide for nor envisage every single situation.

There are also the issues of political expediency, moral obligation & character.

Also don't read into the law what doesn't exist. The fact remains national assembly has no power to summon Mr President. It simply isn't part of the constitution.

And also if I was buhari I won't adhere to the summons. Not because I don't respect the Nigerian people (of which those greedy hooligans don't actually represent) but because this is nothing more than political trap to turn the whole thing into circus. There house of rep are scammers and not honest at all
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by techmo(m): 3:55am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

Well the President remain the commander in chief of the armed forces including Nigerian Police. So goodluck with your summons

But more importantly, u conveniently pretended not to see the proviso to section 88.

88(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to ¬
(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and
(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

So I ask again, how does summoning a President at will fall under the section u quoted Which law is house of rep making Is there any bill before the house for deliberation in relation to this summons

88 (2) b

expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence

*Service chief have exceeded 37 years in service, a violation of civil service and armed forces rule and act

*43 dead farmers proving inefficiency and waste of the Defense budget under 2020 budget bill

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 4:23am On Dec 10, 2020
techmo:

88 (2) b

expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence

*Service chief have exceeded 37 years in service, a violation of civil service and armed forces rule and act

*43 dead farmers proving inefficiency and waste of the Defense budget under 2020 budget bill

And is buhari the service chief or minister of defence
So any public servant that exceeds the year of service, u will now summon Mr President

More importantly, public service rules is not an enactment of national assembly sir!
Any more excuses?
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by ULOPVQ: 4:42am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

He is correct though, in the case of El-Rufai vs NASS in the early 2000s, when Nasir El-Rufai was the then Minister of FCT. The court made it known in its ruling that the NASS has the power to summon anybody on Nigerian soil including the President or a visiting President.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Dedetwo(m): 5:13am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:
I have been reading comments from various lawyers and SANs across the country, and the truth is none of them can point to any section of the constitution that says the national assembly can summon the President at will. There is simply no such provision in our constitution. The framers of the constitution made the President the single most powerful entity on the planet.

Those comparing nigeria to america are only delusional. American constitution is even worse. The congress can't even summon cabinet officers let alone the President.

All our media-obssessed political lawyers especially Ozhekome have laid out so far seems to be gibberish with nothing concrete. They should simply show us the constitution provision that mandates the president to appear at the national assembly whenever they call. And if he doesn't can they sue him to Court

I stand to be corrected though

Arrant nonsense!!! Nobody is above the law. The NASS within its investigative powers has the right to summon anybody however not everybody can appear in person.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 5:22am On Dec 10, 2020
Dedetwo:

Arrant nonsense!!! Nobody is above the law. The NASS within its investigative powers has the right to summon anybody however not everybody can appear in person.

No such constitutional provision
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by helinues: 7:03am On Dec 10, 2020
The Senate and reps are unserious...

Have they summoned the service chiefs that are in charge ?

Let them continue chasing shadow
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Lovelive: 7:19am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

English language is causing you aches here.

Let me put it this way for you: << National Assembly “shall have power by resolution to direct ...>>
What meaning can we give "direct" here?
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Lovelive: 7:24am On Dec 10, 2020
Read (b) very well with clear mind and unbiased view
blackpanda:

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Lovelive: 7:27am On Dec 10, 2020
techmo:

88 (2) b

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Lovelive: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2020
ULOPVQ:

He is correct though, in the case of El-Rufai vs NASS in the early 2000s, when Nasir El-Rufai was the then Minister of FCT. The court made it known in its ruling that the NASS has the power to summon anybody on Nigerian soil including the President or a visiting President.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by ivandragon: 7:34am On Dec 10, 2020
blackpanda:

Also don't read into the law what doesn't exist. The fact remains national assembly has no power to summon Mr President. It simply isn't part of the constitution.

And also if I was buhari I won't adhere to the summons. Not because I don't respect the Nigerian people (of which those greedy hooligans don't actually represent) but because this is nothing more than political trap to turn the whole thing into circus. There house of rep are scammers and not honest at all

The questions you should ask yourself is, are there laws for everything? Does the constitution envisage every conceivable scenario?

The fact is that a literal interpretation of that section does not exclude anyone, except you are saying that they president is above the constitution.

PMB is the real hooligan & he is clutching at straws to not honour the summons because he knows that he lacks the intellectual capacity to withstand a question & answer session where there are no written scripts for him to read verbatim from.

That said, PMB likes to project false humility, something a lot of his supporters sing about, so why is he too proud to honour a summon from the NAss?

Fashola & Keyamo in the past said there was nothing wrong in the president being summoned

https://m.thenigerianvoice.com/sports/93312/reps-can-summon-jonathan-fashola.html

Pmb is also a coward if it is true that he was scared of being embarrassed by PDP members in the house. If that was the case, why not send minister of defence along with other security chiefs to at least use the opportunity to explain what the issues & challenges are.
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by fergie001: 8:07am On Dec 10, 2020
The National Assembly can summon anybody, provided the matter is under its legislative purview.

The caveat, is that, the President isn't compelled to attend.

He can or cannot.

On a moral ground, appearing is the right thing to do but

ALTERNATIVELY,

in the event that he decides not to, nothing will happen courtesy of Section 308.

"invite" should have been the right word...

1 Like

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 10, 2020
the funniest thing about this thread is that it's still an APC supporter that's schooling a fool that calls himself op ..

techmo keep up the good work of schooling that imp

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by Dayoebe(m): 10:46am On Dec 10, 2020
National Assembly doesn't have right to summon their benefactor.
No matter what he does.

God forgive me, I don't know Techmo get sense like this o

1 Like

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by SweetJoystick(m): 11:12am On Dec 10, 2020
helinues:
The Senate and reps are unserious...

Have they summoned the service chiefs that are in charge ?

Let them continue chasing shadow
Olodo, who is the CIC? was the COAS not summoned last year, did he honor the invitation?
Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 8:04pm On Dec 10, 2020
ivandragon:

The questions you should ask yourself is, are there laws for everything? Does the constitution envisage every conceivable scenario?

The fact is that a literal interpretation of that section does not exclude anyone, except you are saying that they president is above the constitution.

PMB is the real hooligan & he is clutching at straws to not honour the summons because he knows that he lacks the intellectual capacity to withstand a question & answer session where there are no written scripts for him to read verbatim from.

That said, PMB likes to project false humility, something a lot of his supporters sing about, so why is he too proud to honour a summon from the NAss?

Fashola & Keyamo in the past said there was nothing wrong in the president being summoned

https://m.thenigerianvoice.com/sports/93312/reps-can-summon-jonathan-fashola.html

Pmb is also a coward if it is true that he was scared of being embarrassed by PDP members in the house. If that was the case, why not send minister of defence along with other security chiefs to at least use the opportunity to explain what the issues & challenges are.

Bla bla bla. He's not going. Cry me a river and swim in it grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Or Arm Of Government Can Summon The President? by blackpanda: 8:07pm On Dec 10, 2020
Lovelive:

English language is causing you aches here.

Let me put it this way for you: << National Assembly “shall have power by resolution to direct ...>>
What meaning can we give "direct" here?

Direct my ass grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drama As Governor Abdulrazaq Of Kwara Appoints "Indicted Thief" As Patigi TIC / I'm Not In Support Of The New Monday Lock Down By Ipob / Northern Causus Of House Of Representatives Visit Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.