Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,205 members, 7,815,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch (17544 Views)

Jeff Bezos' Space Rocket Is Set To Begin Selling Tickets For Rides Into Space / SpaceX Flew Over Nigeria On Way To Space Station – Hadi Sirika (Video) / SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by okoIYAyin(m): 12:17pm On Dec 10, 2020
SpaceX’s Starship rocket prototype exploded in flames as it made a vertical landing on Wednesday, minutes after what seemed to be an uneventful test launch from the company’s testing site on the coast of Texas.

The Starship rocket destroyed was the prototype for a heavy-lift launch vehicle that Elon Musk’s private space company hopes will carry people – and cargo – on future missions to the Moon and Mars.

The self-guided rocket blew up as it touched down on a landing pad following a controlled descent. The test flight had been intended to reach an altitude of 41,000 feet (12,500 metres), propelled by three of SpaceX’s newly developed Raptor engines for the first time.

Musk said in a tweet immediately following the accident that the rocket’s “fuel header tank pressure was low” during descent, which caused “touchdown velocity to be high.”

The test launch took off and ascended in a seemingly straight line, before one and then another of its engines stopped. After four minutes and 45 seconds of flight, its third engine extinguished and the rocket began its descent in its expected position.

The engines were restarted just seconds before landing in an effort to slow the ship, but it crashed hard into the Earth.

SpaceX has successfully blasted smaller prototypes several hundred metres into the air for less than a minute.

The latest flight was livestreamed on the @SpaceX Twitter account and aimed to check the metal body of SN8 (Starship number 8 ) and its three engines for their aerodynamism, including during the ship’s return to Earth – which takes place vertically, in the same vein as SpaceX’s pioneering Falcon 9 rocket.

“With a test such as this, success is not measured by completion of specific objectives but rather how much we can learn, which will inform and improve the probability of success in the future as SpaceX rapidly advances development of Starship,” a statement on the company’s website said, implying even before the launch that an explosion or crash would not mean a failed mission.

Construction of the SN9, the next prototype, is already almost finished.

The experimental flights are taking place in Boca Chica on the Gulf of Mexico near the border with Mexico. Musk recently announced he plans to move to Texas from California.

Musk hopes to be able to one day launch several of space ships to Mars, although they could prove useful even in the short term as NASA eyes re-establishing an ongoing presence on the Moon in 2024.

Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa is currently scheduled to pay an undisclosed sum to take Starship around the Moon possibly as early as 2023.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/12/10/spacex-prototype-rocket-destroyed-in-explosive-test-launch

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by okoIYAyin(m): 12:18pm On Dec 10, 2020
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Enceladus(m): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2020
Watching the launch yesterday was surreal. Can't believe we got the suicide dive right on the first attempt cheesy cheesy Exciting times ahead

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Nobody: 4:01am On Dec 11, 2020
Wetin dem talk again? I no pay attention of cos �

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by 4tomandchi: 4:01am On Dec 11, 2020
grin
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by slawormiir: 4:02am On Dec 11, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

driand:
Let them just say it simple and clear....

SN8 is another experiment gone wrong...
Nor mind them

5 Likes

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Nobody: 4:03am On Dec 11, 2020
Elon Musk

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by chibike69: 4:04am On Dec 11, 2020
grin
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Hferryman(m): 4:04am On Dec 11, 2020
Na wa o.

Year 2020 just get different package inside .

E come Dey give us gbam gbam

If you’re alive, you don try.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by driand(m): 4:04am On Dec 11, 2020
Let them just say it simple and clear....

SN8 is another experiment gone wrong...

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by dadebayo1(m): 4:05am On Dec 11, 2020
Room for improvement... Very soon we will be able to travel to space on excursion grin

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by WoundedLamb: 4:06am On Dec 11, 2020
What a loss!
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by IMAliyu(m): 4:07am On Dec 11, 2020
Not the first time they've had a rocket explode during a test.

At least let the things that can go wrong, go wrong during testing, than actual crewed flights.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Nobody: 4:07am On Dec 11, 2020
CR7 : Kneel young one and let me spray my divine cum all over thee

Messi: Yes chosen one , spray me, bukake me, wash me with that cum

7 Likes

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by PotatoSalad(m): 4:11am On Dec 11, 2020
The flight looked like something out of a sci-fi movie.
It's difficult to comprehend the actual size of SN8 via our phone screens and even imagining it being able to fly and do all that vertical and horizontal balancing in the air.
This thing is bigggg
So real that you'd think it's fake

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by RichDad1(m): 4:14am On Dec 11, 2020
And Elon Musk was tweeting “Mars here we come”‘yesterday. undecided

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by achierosion(m): 4:24am On Dec 11, 2020
More pics
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by demmie1: 4:24am On Dec 11, 2020
Anytime there's test of this dimension, there's high probability things will go wrong, looking at the video one will notice that spectators were clapping even after the rocket exploded. Meaning they surpassed what they expected and musk was unfazed in his statement.

This is a good step in human advancement.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by tit(f): 4:25am On Dec 11, 2020
You see why you need prayers.
Mask SpaceX can hire prayer worrior from us.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 11, 2020
Cherish each moment
That job you think is crappy , a time will come you will look back and wish

That boyfriend or girlfriend you think is too local and doesn't know what's up ? A time will come you will wish to just hug them

Money isn't everything... Only a poor mind places money above all

Don't miss out on those key moments and relationships because your eyes where else where thinking you are too good for this very moment.

Appreciate each and every second

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by demmie1: 4:27am On Dec 11, 2020
RichDad1:
And Elon Musk was tweeting “Mars here we come”‘yesterday. undecided

Yes, he's achieved what he expected and had learned more on the next steps, that's how science develops.

37 Likes

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by demmie1: 4:28am On Dec 11, 2020
tit:
grin grin grin
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by cardoctor(m): 4:28am On Dec 11, 2020
And the plan is to load it with humans going to visit the moon.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by seanwilliam(m): 4:28am On Dec 11, 2020
Driedfish:
Wetin dem talk again? I no pay attention of cos �
one point like this I no understand �
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by demmie1: 4:30am On Dec 11, 2020
Pls don't come and spill religious jargons here o, for them that know themselves.
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by chrisxxx(m): 4:32am On Dec 11, 2020
In Nigeria and Africa we are still struggling for basic needs like food, others world's are pushing for super luxury.
They are about leaving us here.

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Glorylynn: 4:34am On Dec 11, 2020
tit:

Kuku kill me grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Mcbayo(m): 4:36am On Dec 11, 2020
Nightstalker:
CR7 : Kneel young one and let me spray my divine cum all over thee nonsense

Messi: Yes chosen one , spray me, bukake me, wash me with that cum
Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by dalass(f): 4:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Celebration of crashed spaceship?

grin

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Prototype Rocket Destroyed In Explosive Test Launch by Kingspin(m): 4:38am On Dec 11, 2020
According to the information, the test launch was a success.
Elon Musk is making progress with his space ambition.

Unfortunately for us down here, our leaders never thinking of development but think about food.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Four Lions Test Positive For Covid-19 At Barcelona Zoo / Weird Things Humans Do Daily, And Why / MTN Wants To Plant A MAST Our Land For The Sum Of 3.5million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.