Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder (2982 Views)

Dstv HD Decoder Vs Regular Dstv Decoder.. What's The Difference? / Please How Do I Connect A Secondary TV To My DSTV HD Decoder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2020
please I would like to know if the HD picture quality of the both decoders are the same.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by meobizy(f): 6:19pm On Dec 10, 2020
GOtv has HD decoders? I am impressed. The quality is likely the same since both companies are owned by Multichoice South Africa.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 7:38pm On Dec 10, 2020
meobizy:
GOtv has HD decoders? I am impressed. The quality is likely the same since both companies are owned by Multichoice South Africa.
thanks bro.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2020
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by ekidandy(m): 5:18pm On Jan 04, 2021
Didn't know Gotv has an HD Decoder. Way to go Multichoice! With love from Kemi's Blog.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by AshipaEk0: 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2021
where did you see Gotv HD decoder @ op?

Cos i can't find any references to HD the website gotvafrica.com

The only references to HD is their streaming platforms
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by aieromon(m): 4:15pm On Jan 12, 2021
AshipaEk0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlPaaGvDVZk
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by AshipaEk0: 9:14pm On Jan 12, 2021
aieromon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlPaaGvDVZk

That decoder is not HD o.

I have it gathering dust
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2021
AshipaEk0:

they've been in existence for a while.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 4:09pm On Jan 18, 2021
I just completed my research, both the gotv and DSTV HD decoder are the same in HD quality. I'm using the GOTV decoder currently. it's WOW!!!!
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 4:09pm On Jan 18, 2021
AshipaEk0:

That decoder is not HD o.
I have it gathering dust
if it has a HDMI port, then it's HD.

1 Like

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by AshipaEk0: 4:47pm On Jan 18, 2021
harmargedon:
if it has a HDMI port, then it's HD.

grin indeed

1 Like

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 8:17pm On Jan 18, 2021
AshipaEk0:

grin indeed

why don't you clear your doubts and try it out. see the difference then you can conclude not out of wishful thinking.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by YoungLord1st: 4:49pm On Nov 29, 2021
If it Has HDMI Port then it's HD
P.S The HD in HDMI Stands for High Definition grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by oyomadO2: 9:09am On Jan 22, 2022
Please despite this being an old thread, I know someone's still gonna bump into it later...

If you're in for HD or anything close, STAY AWAY FROM GOTV!
and if you ever think the crap GOtv displays is anything HD, you have absolutely no clue on what HD or display resolution is. To think and claim that merely because the decoder has an HDMI port/output and therefore must be HD, is ridiculous!
Even on DSTV not all channels are HD, and regardless of what your TV or connection is, you get no HD for such channels.
Was seriously disappointed at the quality GOtv has in contrast to what people claim it is. GOtv is hardly 240p at best (somewhere around 140-240p - my assumption from experience).
There's 360p, 480p, then 720p (HD) and 1080p (FHD), and so forth.
And for anyone who has a 4k, 2k (UHD) TV, while DStv channels would look (very) good on your tv, 1080p (FHD) is what DStv offers at best. You may need those FTA decoders and big dishes to get anything higher.

PS: The GOtv decoder I got is the very latest from Multichoice, from their official office and of course has (only) an HDMI output.
I opened a NL account just to put this clarity right here so we could end the misleading trash circulated around.

Edit/Correction: DStv please is HD (720p) and not FHD (1080p) - thanks to daddy001.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by daddy001: 9:20am On Jan 22, 2022
oyomadO2:
Please despite this being an old thread, I know someone's still gonna bump into it later...

and if you ever think the crap GOtv displays is anything HD, you have absolutely no clue on what HD or display resolution is. To think and claim that merely because the decoder has an HDMI port/output and therefore must be HD, is ridiculous!
Even on DSTV not all channels are HD, and regardless of what your TV or connection is, you get no HD for such channels.
Was seriously disappointed by the quality GOtv has in contrast to what people claim it is. GOtv is hardly 240p at best (somewhere around 140-240p - my assumption from experience).
There's 340p, 480p, then 720p (HD) and 1080p (FHD), and so forth.
And for anyone who has a 4k, 2k (UHD) TV, while DStv channels would look (very) good on your tv, 1080p (FHD) is what DStv offers at best. You may need those FTA decoders and big dishes to get anything higher.

PS: The GOtv decoder I got is the very latest from Multichoice, from their official office and of course has (only) an HDMI output.
I opened a NL account just to put this clarity right here so we could end the misleading trash circulated around.
DSTv has no 1080p (FHD) channel...there best is 720p

4 Likes

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 9:47am On Jan 22, 2022
oyomadO2:

Was seriously disappointed by the quality GOtv has in contrast to what people claim it is. GOtv is hardly 240p at best (somewhere around 140-240p - my assumption from experience).
There's 340p, 480p, then 720p (HD) and 1080p (FHD), and so forth.

you're right, I confirmed myself. I'll only be switching to DSTV when they bring out a 4K decoder. For now it's Netflix.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by oyomadO2: 11:06am On Jan 22, 2022
daddy001:
DSTv has no 1080p (FHD) channel...there best is 720p

You're very right, thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by daddy001: 2:14pm On Jan 22, 2022
harmargedon:
you're right, I confirmed myself. I'll only be switching to DSTV when they bring out a 4K decoder. For now it's Netflix.
no picture quality difference between watching DStv on FHd and on 4k TV.if you don't have a 4k content or source, the 4k TV is useless.

1 Like

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 6:14am On Jan 23, 2022
daddy001:
no picture quality difference between watching HD video and 4k video on DStv.if you don't have a 4k content or source, the 4k TV is useless.
I have a 4k tv.
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by daddy001: 6:31am On Jan 23, 2022
harmargedon:
I have a 4k tv.
haven't you noticed no picture difference watching DStv channels on both 4k and FHD tv
Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by harmargedon: 7:21am On Jan 23, 2022
daddy001:
haven't you noticed no picture difference watching DStv channels on both 4k and FHD tv
yeah, and it's boring too, that's why I'm only interested in viewing YouTube,. Netflix and the rest in 4k display.

2 Likes

Re: Dstv Hd Decoder Vs Gotv Hd Decoder by LeoFish92(m): 11:56am On Jun 11, 2023
oyomadO2:

Was seriously disappointed at the quality GOtv has in contrast to what people claim it is. GOtv is hardly 240p at best (somewhere around 140-240p - my assumption from experience).
There's 360p, 480p, then 720p (HD) and 1080p (FHD), and so forth.

Edit/Correction: DStv please is HD (720p) and not FHD (1080p) - thanks to daddy001.

Thank you for this. I wanted to upgrade from GOTV to DSTV. Came on Nairaland, to see if there's noticeable difference in picture quality. With what I read earlier on this thread, I come dey wonder. Same GOTV I have is HD? as as how na?

Thanks for the clarification.

(1) (Reply)

Freeview,digital Tv Thread!! / Dish For Lease / Satellite Dish Installation Made Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.