Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,889 members, 7,956,351 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence (3001 Views)

Corruption: Buhari Expresses Frustration Over Slow Justice System / Osinbajo, Rolac Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-based Violence / Rabiu Musa: Malami As Champion Of Nigeria’s Justice System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Jollylolly(f): 9:53am On Dec 11, 2020
The National Programme Manager, Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption (RoLAC) Programme of the British Council, Mr. Danladi Plang, has called for an effective justice system to help in curbing the menace of rape and sexual assault which is on the increase.

Plang made this call at the 6th National Conference of the Sexual Assaults Referral Centers (SARCs) and International Human Rights Day held in Abuja on December 9-10, 2020, organised by ROLAC Programme of the British Council and funded by the European Union.

He said rape victims most times do not want to report rape cases to security personnel, as they sometimes are made jest of resulting to underreporting of sexual assault cases.

He cited that the cases limiting the number of victims who seek help for sexual assault include fear of persecution, lack of prosecution of offenders, underreporting of cases and the culture of stigma on victims.

According to him, there many gaps but noted that one of the key solutions is to ensure reporting of cases while expressing concerns that sexual assault is still underreported. He insisted that “there are many cases out there that are not being reported and the question is why, this is because when they report they do not get the support and services they need. The type of response they get do not encourage them to go back to make report.

And the other factor is prosecution, he said, because if people are not prosecuted for wrong doing it breeds impunity. This is because when one person does something and no measure is taken another will also partake as nothing will be done.

“So we need to improve in investigation and prosecution and with their name on the register to name and shame, it will reduce the refusal of people to report,” Plang added.

He explained that “the culture of stigma is also one major factor as people think that it is the fault of the woman that is being raped, that if she has not placed herself in that position she will not have been raped but we know that even toddlers and grandmothers have been raped, so which position do you want them to put themselves so that they will not be raped”.

Speaking further, the programme manager stated the Issue of rape could be a psychological problem adding that in other climes one of the thing practiced is to carry out an evaluation of the psychological position of the person to understand why he has carried such an act. He said the findings also focused on why they do what they do, the pedophiles, as well as those that rape people with mental illness, as they believe that it will give them some powers.

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on his part, appraised the SARC for the essential service they render as people have started to trust and believe in the referral centers and as such more people are tending their experience.

Osinbajo said that as long as people have access to justice they can report, while clarifying that increase in reporting does not necessarily mean increase in crime. According to him, it could mean an increase in trust and believe and that appropriate investigative actions will be taken.

“We must all save time to create safe spaces. Support services need to be available not only in crisis, the SARC centers will go along way in curbing the menace rape as we can try to avoid the assault from happening in the first place by creating safe spaces were it will be difficult for abuse to happen and when abuse does happen we must coordinate an effective response, “he said.

Also speaking, the First Lady of Ondo State, Mrs. Betty Akeredolu, stressed the need to work in support of those violated.

According to Akeredolu, we cannot afford to fold our hands and watch our children being defiled and murdered in some cases, adding that we have to make sure we galvanize action in our respective state so that we can end the violence against women.

“In our community gender based violence is treated with levity due to our patriarchal system no one takes a woman serious, we need to sensitise our women in the community and the education of the girl child cannot be overemphasized,” she said.

https://www.thecable.ng/osinbajo-rolac-call-for-effective-justice-system-to-end-gender-based-violence/amp

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by slawormiir: 9:56am On Dec 11, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by GetItDoneWell(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Joelroksanka(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2020
ok
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by AFvckingAlpha(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2020
The fvck

Niggarr!!

More has to be done by the judiciary to instil fear into the minds of rapists/potential rapists. I mean we must ensure that the female gender is protected. Cos how I go hear say person go touch my kid sis anyhow and I nor go empty a 9mm in close range.

If not Nigeria go just turn India where them dey rape a female on the minute.

But who does pussy Osinbajo answer to first?

Tinubu or Buhari?

God-father or boss??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 11, 2020
alright....
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 11, 2020
My people cast your mind back to this musical contractions... grin
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by ignis: 9:59am On Dec 11, 2020
Osibanjo should please STFU
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Obijulius: 9:59am On Dec 11, 2020
Example:

Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Omezif(m): 10:00am On Dec 11, 2020
Fantastic Decision, some rapists are like mad that would never control. I do not support inflicting any injury on them, especially to those that did it for mere pleasure without causing much injury, but life or from ten years to up inprisonment. If i stay one year without doing anything to get my own means as a man that has done from school i better not to be in the world. That's why crime is not good.
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by yeyeboi(m): 10:01am On Dec 11, 2020
Buhari house boy
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Drella(m): 10:02am On Dec 11, 2020
Good development.But take note that we also have other problems waiting for solution.
Just don't forget to check my siggy please
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Thunder1010: 10:03am On Dec 11, 2020
Capital punishment must be accrued to every person guilty of rape, this will send a strong signal to others.
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by revived: 10:04am On Dec 11, 2020
We move
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by bash8936: 10:04am On Dec 11, 2020
yeyeboi:
Buhari house boy

But Peter Obi is still looking for the house boy position to no avail. grin
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Bfarm: 10:07am On Dec 11, 2020
To me violence is violence. And it is bad .
This one na the normal talk by this gov just to show and eat more money.
Let them stop

Bokoharam
Bad politician
Bad police
Poverty
NEPA and no light
Unemployment
E.t.c.

All these are violence .

I just dey vex here but how I go do na. God bless the people of Nigeria and may bad people die
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Maxikenna: 10:08am On Dec 11, 2020
Ok
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by alienvirus: 10:09am On Dec 11, 2020
Effective justice system, effective governance, effective electricity, effective public and private hospitals, effective staff, effective local government, effective dams, effective refinery, effective airports, effective police, effective house of assembly.

Effective Nigerians. Effective Nairaland MODs. Effective everything.

And you say government is the problem of everything. No. Nigerians are problems of Nigeria. The day we realize this is the day things will get better.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians are empty talkatives that take pride of complaints and comment on every subject either they understand or not.
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Mummymahdi(f): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2020
Capital punishment must b involved
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Neddstark: 10:13am On Dec 11, 2020
Gender based violence can never end. We just need a strong justice system that embarrasses and deals with its perpetrators.
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by nettpen: 10:15am On Dec 11, 2020
Mumu vice president...
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by sanemind5(m): 10:20am On Dec 11, 2020
Ok
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by lomprico(m): 10:21am On Dec 11, 2020
talk talk man, no action.

if the VP is calling for effective justice system, what should the ordinary Nigerians do? abi is he a common citizen too?
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by ILoveDemMANNA: 10:24am On Dec 11, 2020
Nice one Osinbajo our next Presido

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 11, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Bro
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Farki: 10:30am On Dec 11, 2020
They should call out elected officials who condone domestic violence.
Re: Osinbajo, RoLAC Call For Effective Justice System To End Gender-Based Violence by Adakintroy: 10:31am On Dec 11, 2020
Women liberation is crap for Africa. Not many people with original thoughts.

Just large school of conformist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

So Biafra Has Been In Existence Over 17 Century, See Book That Was Written In 17 / Grand Plan To Return Most Of The Oil Wells From SS Back To SE But With Condition / Biafra:is Nigeria Stronger Than The Ussr(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.