Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. (493 Views)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Ooni Of Ife To Indigenes: Return Home To Develop Your Town / Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Opexzy: 9:37am On Dec 12, 2020
There is at least one misconception about where you came from or the ethnic group you belong to. Some of these misconceptions can even go as deep as family backgrounds or even names we bear.

They might seem innocuous at first untill you move out to a different place entirely and these heresays starts haunting you for no reason.

As an indegene of Ekiti state... I am getting sick of people telling me that; I must be a very stubborn person even when we have not even spent upto 5 minutes together. Why? Because people believe that everybody from Ekiti is very stubborn (Àwọn ọmọ Ekiti ní agídí gan).

And there is this wrong misconceptions about my home town which has been haunting some of our single ladies, I have heard people from other places say that women from Ado-Ekiti don't stay long in their husband's house.

Some of these things are untrue and it's an unfair generalization. Relationships have been destroyed, jobs that one merits have been denied because of all these unfair generalization.

So Nairalanders! what's that unfair generalization and misconceptions about where you come from, the ethnic group you belong to or even something as simple as the names you answer.
Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Karlovich: 9:39am On Dec 12, 2020
As a proud Daura man most people have this misconception that we love eating gworo and drinking strong gin, they also say that we are very wicked and always like to blame people for so many things.
Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by osamz007: 9:45am On Dec 12, 2020
THE LIES HAVEN'T STARTED YET

Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Ofemmanu1: 10:09am On Dec 12, 2020
As a proud Ijebu-man; people one or two biased idea about IjebuLand.
1. Ijebu the most stingy in the world.
Yet people like Adenuga, Adebutu, Otedola, Osinbajo, Obasanjo, ME and millions more wouldn't stop giving.
Yet, no any known ethnicity beat IjebuLand in owambe party.

So, it's disgusting pple including the poor folks looking at me like a stingy basterrd on hearing I'm from IjebuLand.
Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Aboks(m): 10:35am On Dec 12, 2020
Keep up with the lies
Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Opexzy: 1:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
Aboks:
Keep up with the lies

Don't you think you can say the truth to discredit their lies since you know it..

wink
Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 12, 2020
Opexzy:

As an indegene of a Ekiti state... I am getting sick of people telling me that; I must be a very stubborn person even when we have not even spent upto 5 minutes together. Why? Because people believe that everybody from Ekiti is very stubborn (Àwọn ọmọ Ekiti ní agídí gan).

And there is this wrong misconceptions about my home town which has been haunting some of our single ladies, I have heard people from other places say that women from Ado-Ekiti don't stay long in their husband's house
I find this misconception actually embarrassing especially that "awon Ekiti alagidi" naturally I'm an easy-going person... If you step on me I will be the one to tell you sorry...where people are now getting the thesis that Ekiti and ondo are stubborn is what I don't get... My third name is Endurance... People will be like that's a bad name ooo...people that bear Endurance suffer alot in life and I've checked my life so far... I don't think I'm suffering.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About Your Town, State Or Ethnic Group. by Opexzy: 9:00pm On Dec 12, 2020
Doradorwa:
I find this misconception actually embarrassing especially that "awon Ekiti alagidi" naturally I'm an easy-going person... If you step on me I will be the one to tell you sorry...where people are now getting the thesis that Ekiti and ondo are stubborn is what I don't get... My third name is Endurance... People will be like that's a bad name ooo...people that bear Endurance suffer alot in life and I've checked my life so far... I don't think I'm suffering.

Exactly... Generalizing things like this is just unfair.. I am also an easy going person and I don't pick fight nor even engage in one with anyone.

Where I served in Abeokuta, I had to stop adding my state of origin to my informal introduction because I know the next thing you are gonna say.

Sometimes it might be all fun but some other times people tends to use these baseless misconceptions against you and its hurts.

I have once been told by an interviewer, though jokingly that; we don't want stubborn people in our company ooo (A ó fé alágídí ni ile ise wá ooo).

(1) (Reply)

Ọshare - Man { Learn Urhobo Language} @ Ukoko Uyono Urhobo Online Classes / Akam Ke Iko Ibibio Ami Andi Wed Nkere Edet Edem Akpan / The Psychology Of Cross Culture On Productivity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.