Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,814 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . (839 Views)

Nigerians Just Left The Land Of Egypt And Are Heading To The Promise Land / Why Are Nigerians Just So Shamelessly Unpatriotic? / Why Nigerians never learn a lesson from the civil war (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 3:01am On Mar 25, 2011
The more I read about Nigeria the more I realize that it is, really, a hopeless case. The people are too gullible and I believe it is as a result of a lack of education. Not only are most her people illiterate, they are also socially dysfunctional. As my girlfriend said today (after reading a book on the Niger-Delta she's bringing for me later on) "Nigeria is just a 21st century version of the Wild West of old. . . . "; a vast country, unruly in every sense of the word. A country so corrupt that even the devil might achieve saint hood if his sins were compared to that of its politicians. The paragraph below had my mouth agape: it could easily be what is happening in Nigeria right now---:

"At this juncture, it is necessary to affirm that Abacha was no mere replica of Babangida as Soyinka claimed. He was clearly a more insensitive and more brutal dictator. During the confusing era of the transition to democracy, Nigerian officialdom weaved a great deal of elaborate and digressive rhetoric around the more gullible strata of the Nigerian populace and also the international community. In many instances, this corrupting verbiage deluded many Nigerians and derailed quite a number of genuine initiatives on the part of civil society geared towards the consolidation of the processes of democratization. It was sometimes hard to perceive the Abacha regime for precisely what it was; an inhuman authoritarian junta bent on the discredited and anachronistic quest of hanging on to power for its own sake."

http://www.hollerafrica.com/showArticle.php?catId=1&artId=161

Nigerians, the time is NOW!!! Rid your country of the corrupt! This is not the time to vote based on tribal or ethno-religious sentiments. There is only one way to vote in your coming elections: WHICH OF THE 3 CANDIDATES COULD YOU VOUCH FOR TO FIGHT CORRUPTION WITH ALL HIS MIGHT; WITHOUT FEAR OF THE CRIMINALS come POLITICIANS EXTORTING YOUR COUNTRY TODAY?

The choice is yours. Do whats right!
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by pleep(m): 3:08am On Mar 25, 2011
who is that? Buhari? i dont know anything about nigerian politics. So im interested in his platform.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 3:10am On Mar 25, 2011
Well, from everything I've read if I would assume Buhari would be their solution. . . . .
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by pleep(m): 3:15am On Mar 25, 2011
Yea ive heard some things about him but i never heard how exactly he plans fighting corruption.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 3:23am On Mar 25, 2011
Well, I dont think he needs to explain jack; his past speaks for itself. Corrupt officials are bound for jail. . . visa free!
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by pleep(m): 3:45am On Mar 25, 2011
its unfortunate that none of the  presidential canidates seem to have a concrete plan, but if he goes after corruption with no mercy i guess he will be good for Nigeria.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 5:27am On Mar 25, 2011
Well at least one seems to want to fight corruption while the current President seems to wallow in it.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by mensdept: 5:31am On Mar 25, 2011
The problem in Naija is not education. In fact looking at the post on this thread, you can see what the problem really is. Twofold: Complacency and a culture that's been sidelined to fake imitations of the West and more importantly Arab.

pleep:

who is that? Buhari? i dont know anything about nigerian politics. So im interested in his platform.

Are you 13? If so, Sen Yerima can teach you about Naija politics. I mean, try to be more serious
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by pleep(m): 5:37am On Mar 25, 2011
Dude. I live in the u.s I don't know jack about Nigerian politics. Haha there's not much to know anyway. Just ethniciy, region and faith. None of the canidate have a really detailed platform so it's pointless if u ask me.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by jensinmi(m): 6:22am On Mar 25, 2011
mens dept:

The problem in Naija is not education. In fact looking at the post on this thread, you can see what the problem really is. Twofold: Complacency and a culture that's been sidelined to fake imitations of the West and more importantly Arab.

Are you 13? If so, Sen Yerima can teach you about Naija politics. I mean, try to be more serious

Bros. Don't you know some people's internet connections are just for downloading and watching Nigerian movies and large amounts of pr0n.

In Nigeria as well, some people's Blackberries are just for chatting on BB Messenger. Not hard to find people who will tell you they don't know about this person or that person when a simple search on their phones can yield so many results.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by mensdept: 6:48am On Mar 25, 2011
jensinmi:

Bros. Don't you know some people's internet connections are just for downloading and watching Nigerian movies and large amounts of pr0n.

In Nigeria as well, some people's Blackberries are just for chatting on BB Messenger. Not hard to find people who will tell you they don't know about this person or that person when a simple search on their phones can yield so many results.

LOL, watching 9ja movies and por.n lol.

As for the post, Cant argue. Its 100% true.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 8:11pm On Mar 25, 2011
Nigeria is such a sad case. If GEJ wins, and in a year Nigerians come on here to complain about one thing or the other, sorry, but I'll be rubbing the suffering in yalls faces like its no man's biz. . . . . just giving yall a heads up!
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by sbeezy8: 8:15pm On Mar 25, 2011
BUHARI HAD A CORRUPT PAST THO.- i wont lie so has Jonathan RIbadu is clueless.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2011
sbeezy8:

BUHARI HAD A CORRUPT PAST THO.- i wont lie so has Jonathan RIbadu is clueless.

Not enriching yourself when you had the opportunity to is corrupt?

C'mmon, son. Sbeezy, what u smoking?
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by sbeezy8: 8:20pm On Mar 25, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Not enriching yourself when you had the opportunity to is corrupt?

C'mmon, son. Sbeezy, what u smoking?

YEA YOU RIGHT HE WASNT ENRICHING HIMSELF DUDE WAS ENRICHING THE NORTH WEST LMFAO HAHAHA
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by EnuguUkwu: 8:57pm On Mar 25, 2011
From the same man who said Abacha didnt steal Nigeria money? No to Buhari.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by Dede1(m): 9:36pm On Mar 25, 2011
bk.babe97y:

The more I read about Nigeria the more I realize that it is, really, a hopeless case. The people are too gullible and I believe it is as a result of a lack of education. Not only are most her people illiterate, they are also socially dysfunctional. As my girlfriend said today (after reading a book on the Niger-Delta she's bringing for me later on) "Nigeria is just a 21st century version of the Wild West of old. . . . "; a vast country, unruly in every sense of the word. A country so corrupt that even the devil might achieve saint hood if his sins were compared to that of its politicians. The paragraph below had my mouth agape: it could easily be what is happening in Nigeria right now---:

"At this juncture, it is necessary to affirm that Abacha was no mere replica of Babangida as Soyinka claimed. He was clearly a more insensitive and more brutal dictator. During the confusing era of the transition to democracy, Nigerian officialdom weaved a great deal of elaborate and digressive rhetoric around the more gullible strata of the Nigerian populace and also the international community. In many instances, this corrupting verbiage deluded many Nigerians and derailed quite a number of genuine initiatives on the part of civil society geared towards the consolidation of the processes of democratization. It was sometimes hard to perceive the Abacha regime for precisely what it was; an inhuman authoritarian junta bent on the discredited and anachronistic quest of hanging on to power for its own sake."

http://www.hollerafrica.com/showArticle.php?catId=1&artId=161

Nigerians, the time is NOW!!! Rid your country of the corrupt! This is not the time to vote based on tribal or ethno-religious sentiments. There is only one way to vote in your coming elections: WHICH OF THE 3 CANDIDATES COULD YOU VOUCH FOR TO FIGHT CORRUPTION WITH ALL HIS MIGHT; WITHOUT FEAR OF THE CRIMINALS come POLITICIANS EXTORTING YOUR COUNTRY TODAY?

The choice is yours. Do whats right!

The paragraph in bold is an arrant nonsense. I can resourcefully deduce the writer did not comprehend the meaning of words such “Education and Illiterate”.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bashr4: 10:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
its obvious GEJ is going to win , am not a fan though neither do i want buhari to win, would prefer either Utomi or ribadu
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 12:49am On Mar 27, 2011
Dede1:

The paragraph in bold is an arrant nonsense. I can resourcefully deduce the writer did not comprehend the meaning of words such “Education and Illiterate”.

Lmao! Dude, can u just write in simpler terms instead of just making a f>ool of yourself all the time trying to use "big" words?
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 12:51am On Mar 27, 2011
sbeezy8:

YEA YOU RIGHT HE WASNT ENRICHING HIMSELF DUDE WAS ENRICHING THE NORTH WEST LMFAO HAHAHA

Well, I didnt even know there was a North/West Nigeria (so many regions for such a small country). . . .

Anyways, all Ive read is that he was not corrupt!
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 27, 2011
@Poster. Are you a Nigerian?
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by Adelaide2: 1:17am On Mar 27, 2011
Buhari=serial loser and as with all serial losers, he will lose again. Say no to a shariarist. Say no to a high-wired bigot. Say no to secret corruption and pretense.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by ektbear: 1:56am On Mar 27, 2011
I'm not really sold on any of the candidates. They are all pretty flawed.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by bkbabe97y(m): 10:09am On Mar 28, 2011
J12:

@Poster. Are you a Nigerian?

No.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by jensinmi(m): 11:33am On Mar 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not really sold on any of the candidates. They are all pretty flawed.

Don't worry sir. A perfect one is coming soon to ascend to the position of Nigeria's president. His name is JESUS CHRIST.  grin grin grin grin

For all those looking for  a candidate with minimal or no flaws, I suggest you pick the lesser of all evils and let sleeping dogs lies.

@ Original Poster aka bk.babe97y

Like someone said in a previous thread, Nigerians have 2 problems:

1. Poverty of Mind - As suggested by Prof. Pat Utomi.
2. We lack the ability to think critically. (CRITICAL THINKING) - Our system of education may be partly to blame for that.

Now,  if we look at it critically, we can honestly say that anyone who says Goodluck Jonathan will improve Nigeria is deluded.
If GEJ wins this election, he essentially has the following years in office - 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. Note that 2015 will see elections in April and so no action from his government.

If we choose to ignore the party he is in and the immense influence that Obasanjo, IBB and co have over his presidency, we still have an easy indicator of whether things will change or continue the way they were under PDP. That indicator is the 2011 budget. It is there for all to see.

Approx $30 billion for the budget with just 1/3 dedicated to Capital Expenditure. That leaves us with approx $10 billion. PDP budget implementation has never exceeded 30%. Note that 30% was the figure given by the then Minister of Finance about 2009 budget. That means that if we are all lucky, $3 billion will be spent in 2011 on getting actual work done in Nigeria. That work includes:

1. New Roads
2. New Hospitals
3. New Schools
4. New Power stations
5. 25 or so New Airports that Jonathan is promising.

Although some will say that all these things don't have to come out of 2011 budget, we can say that at least some of it should.

It is very easy to see now that almost none of these things will be provided by the measly amount that Jonathan has budgeted in 2011. With $3 - $5 billion, how many roads, hospitals, schools, railways, or power stations can we really build??

All in all, the average Nigerian is gullible and unwilling to face reality. Nigerians deserves whatever kind of president we get.

Imagine someone (a university graduate) saying that she will not vote because God will decide.   shocked shocked shocked  grin grin grin grin

These are the kind of people we have in Nigeria. People who expect God to come down from heaven to choose the candidates and thumbprint the ballot papers for them.

WE ARE A PEOPLE WHO DO THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS.
Re: Seems Nigerians Just Never Learn. . . . by pleep(m): 2:20am On Mar 29, 2011
^^ Ronald Raegan once said, " you ge the governemnt you deserve" nigerians are aperfect example

(1) (Reply)

Tension In Kano / Shocking! US Policemen Exchanging Blows / Unn Develops Automated Dental Chair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.