Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? (312 Views)

I Want Land But I Don't Have Money To Pay For Development, Legal, And Other Fees / Please I Want To Buy A Half Plot Of Land But I Don't Know The Size / Do You Want To Buy A Land But Don't Know Where To Start? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 12:03am On Dec 13, 2020
Hello everyone.
I am about to buy a land, its the first time ever I would be doing this.
The property is in Atan area, around winners.

The price of the land is fair, as properties in that area are relatively cheap, but its cheaper than most other options(but not cheap enough to be too good to be true, its reasonably lesser).

I am quite tech savvy, so I have done some online "background check" , on the person selling, the person seems clean.

But I know this is not enough reason to trust the person fully.

I worked hard and saved for this, but as I said its my first time.

I need you advice please.

I wish I can afford a lawyer now, but I am practically using all I have saved to buy this land.

The person said the available documents are just receipt and survey plan , he has already shown me the survey plan.

What else do I need to do to ensure I am safe, what advice can you give me.
The person seems honest and from the background check, the person has nothing to hide, quite plain and nothing fishy.
But I am still scared, I don't want to lose my savings, and I really need this land .

Do you have any advice for me ??
Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by PapaMama9ja: 12:29am On Dec 13, 2020
Your best bet is to ask land owners in that same area what kind of document is applicable based on waivers from Government. However, i can say C of O, R of O and governor consent are all valid title document. Just go extra mile to find out and for a lawyer, a valid brief should not break your pocket. Be sure when to jump

1 Like

Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by osato45: 1:12am On Dec 13, 2020
In addition to the above, a deed of transfer document could also help, take the survey plan to the ministry of lands and survey to make inquiries about the said plot, this would help too
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by mattsvibes: 1:47am On Dec 13, 2020
Request for the copy of the survey plan and get a lawyer to do due diligence

1 Like

Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2020
PapaMama9ja:
Your best bet is to ask land owners in that same area what kind of document is applicable based on waivers from Government. However, i can say C of O, R of O and governor consent are all valid title document. Just go extra mile to find out and for a lawyer, a valid brief should not break your pocket. Be sure when to jump
Ok thank you
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 3:49pm On Dec 13, 2020
osato45:
In addition to the above, a deed of transfer document could also help, take the survey plan to the ministry of lands and survey to make inquiries about the said plot, this would help too
I taught the deed of transfer is only given after the land as been paid for ?
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
mattsvibes:
Request for the copy of the survey plan and get a lawyer to do due diligence

Ok, thanks. Do you have any idea what a lawyer would charge for this .

Permit my naivety, I have never had to hire a lawyer for any reason.
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by mattsvibes: 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2020
fefob19066:

Ok, thanks. Do you have any idea what a lawyer would charge for this .

Permit my naivety, I have never had to hire a lawyer for any reason.

It depends
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by osato45: 6:57pm On Dec 13, 2020
fefob19066:

I taught the deed of transfer is only given after the land as been paid for ?
the previous owner may have gotten one or may not have, you can ask him why he doesn't have or didn't do one
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 3:09pm On Dec 14, 2020
mattsvibes:

It depends
Thanks.
Can you kindly give me a range ?
Re: I Am About To Buy A Land But I Don't Want To Get Scammed. Are These Docs. Ok ? by fefob19066: 3:10pm On Dec 14, 2020
osato45:
the previous owner may have gotten one or may not have, you can ask him why he doesn't have or didn't do one
Ok thanks I really appreciate .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Clean 2 Bedroom Flat On Ugo Nnabuife Street Ajao Estate Isolo For Rent At 900k / Beautiful 3 Bedroom Flat On Ayodele Street Mafoluku Oshodi For Rent / 4 Bed Room Duplex For Rent At Off Agric Road New Oko Oba Abule Egba Agege Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.