Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,673 members, 7,816,761 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora (28154 Views)

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by SeriouslySense(m): 9:38am On Dec 14, 2020
good one, Development is the key, i don't pay attention to them, just friendly generic talk, my mind is constantly learning what i need to develop, using the facilities to the maximum.

jasibor:
I reside in the US and it’s been an awesome experience, my city happens to be a sanctuary city and shares boarder with Canada so we pretty much have a diverse group of people from around the world. So from my personal experience a lot of people really don’t care where you from, when they hear my accent nobody really cares to ask but some friendly ones go a lil over the board to ask where you from I just reply Africa, cos fr you don’t want to waste your time teaching them Africa is not a country but a continent.

At my work place they had this perception of Africans been less fortunate and when we come over here all we did was work work work and send money back home to build huts and feed our village people who they feel are uneducated.

Cut long story short, at my workplace a staff had told me some of my colleagues don’t like me cos they think I’m too quiet and not smart, but God pass devil only 6 months to joining this company I received a nomination for best staff and eventually won my nomination, this came with a good check ($$$) and my people you really had to see how my name went around, these same people who have been working with this company for over 6-10 years acting like they know too much never even got close to winning a nomination came to me asking how I did it. And I said it was God.

I sha can’t forget this one...so on one special day while the office was quiet and everyone focused on the television someone tuned into the Dr. Phil’s show and this had to be my most embarrassing day at work, on the show came up this episode where some set of American women whom had all been scammed by Nigerian prince came for help cos family members knew they were being scammed and acting delusional....omo come see the way all eyes � come my side... had to tell them yea, we have scammers but it’s our politicians who made things go that bad that people gna have to lie to earn a living, and quickly my close friend supported me saying they have a lot of American scammers which they never talk about so he wouldn’t point no fingers, it’s was a lil bit relieving but I don’t think it changed anything.....

So personally I like to keep it real simple working with them, no long conversation, most friends I make are hi and bye... and I strongly believe my hard work is beginning to change the mindset of my colleagues toward the way they see Nigerians.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Jaqenhghar: 9:39am On Dec 14, 2020
Reference:

Sorry ma'am. But as a Nigerian living in Nigeria, highly exposed to Nigeria (been to all 36 states, lived, schooled and worked in the west, north, middle-belt, south-south and south-east for a minimum of 6 years in each location) there are a few misconceptions you carry and some spot on.

First of all we are financially morally deficient across board. (generations, classes, demographics, all)
Yep, we are loud, boisterous, apt to speak, slow to listen and ruminate. Our cultures are ultra expressive.

But no ma.

Till now we do have animals all over the place. In cities, towns and villages domestication of animal husbandry is still part of the DNA of the average Nigerian. I visited an apartment building in a highbrow part of Abuja and was surprised to see poultry birds hoping up and down the staircases. You must be all too familiar with the farmers/herdsmen crises which is symptomatic of a cultural belief in the rights of animals to civil liberties.

Till now human beings are still sacrificed for mystical powers and spiritual interventions in all parts of Nigeria, north to south, east to west. From grave robbing to kidnapping/murder for rituals, cannibalistic practices, underwear harvesting, and so on which are clear indications that ancient traditional occultic beliefs still hold sway. The human cadaver may not be sold at the high street supermarket or over the internet today but the statistics and incidents clearly point towards a strong underground belief.

Finally and personally, I do agree with your friends that we not only eat too much, but eat very badly. What you described you ate is not just unhealthy but unsustainable and I do sincerely hope you begin to modify your diet before it becomes a habit/lifestyle.

Cheers.

See naija reasoning. She is telling her experience, what she has gone through . You dont know her, you are not in her shoes but you disagree with her. SMH

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

I'm currently answering these types of questions for Facebook business suite and I'm being paid $275 for it.

You guys are lucky here.
Enjoy!
275$?
shocked shocked
Bros, enlighten me please cry cry

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Divoc19(f): 9:40am On Dec 14, 2020
When i use to live in Burundi, they couldn't diferenciate between Niger and Nigeria. Niger was Nigeria and Nigeria was Niger, I had to educate them whenever issues regarding my country comes up. Same with Rwanda.

But Kenyan's have better knowledge of Nigeria because of (in my opinion) musical artist collaborations.
A good number of Kenyan's know some of our artist

6 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by maursatt: 9:43am On Dec 14, 2020
I am based in España ��, the people here know of Nigeria because of the influx of migrants from Africa and the atrocities from our brother on drugs. Above all they don't give a Bleep to where you are from but it becomes relevant when our boys are in the news for the wrong reasons. Here Nigerians are too loud, but they don't give a Bleep every man on his own.

3 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by hakeem4(m): 9:43am On Dec 14, 2020
I do not live abroad currently, but I have visited England quite a number of time, and I noticed few things.

first, they could not pronounce my surname.
secondly, I was given the nickname "brown man"
thirdly, most don't really know much about Nigeria, they just call it "Africa"

4 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Mide3367: 9:43am On Dec 14, 2020
Well my experience is diverse across the 8 countries I have visited from uae to Egypt to liberia etc...
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Didibabe: 9:46am On Dec 14, 2020
Well,here in Angola they see Nigerians as criminals,the hatred they have for Nigerians I can't explain it,you will find only few good ones.
I don't know why some African countries have hatred for each other.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Dayoebe(m): 9:47am On Dec 14, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

Vision 2027

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Depressed101: 9:49am On Dec 14, 2020
etrange:
To start with, the city where I live is considered to be the most diverse city in the world. Virtually everyone is from somewhere. In such a place, people are addressed based on their content and not based on where they are from or their accent. The truth is, we all have read or heard many things about one another's country (both good and bad) and we have also met both good and terrible people from the same country. So we know better than to stereotype people. To be honest, most of my experience has been in the corporate environment but I strongly believe the city is way too diverse for Nigerians to be singled out nevertheless.

To answer the OP more directly, everyone knows I'm Nigerian at my place of work cause we normally spend a lot of time talking about our home countries and no one has ever reacted in an unruly manner towards me on learning I'm from Nigeria (even as I'm the only African in the organisation).
must be new york or london
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by pocohantas(f): 9:49am On Dec 14, 2020
jasibor:

At my work place they had this perception of Africans been less fortunate and when we come over here all we did was work work work and send money back home to build huts and feed our village people who they feel are uneducated.

Cut long story short, at my workplace a staff had told me some of my colleagues don’t like me cos they think I’m too quiet and not smart, but God pass devil only 6 months to joining this company I received a nomination for best staff and eventually won my nomination, this came with a good check ($$$) and my people you really had to see how my name went around, these same people who have been working with this company for over 6-10 years acting like they know too much never even got close to winning a nomination came to me asking how I did it. And I said it was God.

The part in red, I would have known you are a Nigerian at that point. grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Ogbuu101: 9:51am On Dec 14, 2020
Kennyswag:
Thanks to inyamuris angry angry
The first fuul on the thread.
Congratulations

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by 4words: 9:53am On Dec 14, 2020
Reference:

Sorry ma'am. But as a Nigerian living in Nigeria, highly exposed to Nigeria (been to all 36 states, lived, schooled and worked in the west, north, middle-belt, south-south and south-east for a minimum of 6 years in each location) there are a few misconceptions you carry and some spot on.

First of all we are financially morally deficient across board. (generations, classes, demographics, all)
Yep, we are loud, boisterous, apt to speak, slow to listen and ruminate. Our cultures are ultra expressive.

But no ma.

Till now we do have animals all over the place. In cities, towns and villages domestication of animal husbandry is still part of the DNA of the average Nigerian. I visited an apartment building in a highbrow part of Abuja and was surprised to see poultry birds hoping up and down the staircases. You must be all too familiar with the farmers/herdsmen crises which is symptomatic of a cultural belief in the rights of animals to civil liberties.

Till now human beings are still sacrificed for mystical powers and spiritual interventions in all parts of Nigeria, north to south, east to west. From grave robbing to kidnapping/murder for rituals, cannibalistic practices, underwear harvesting, and so on which are clear indications that ancient traditional occultic beliefs still hold sway. The human cadaver may not be sold at the high street supermarket or over the internet today but the statistics and incidents clearly point towards a strong underground belief.

Finally and personally, I do agree with your friends that we not only eat too much, but eat very badly. What you described you ate is not just unhealthy but unsustainable and I do sincerely hope you begin to modify your diet before it becomes a habit/lifestyle.

Cheers.

Just look at this overzealous Oyinbo wannabe ... you successfully rubbish all that is your culture just because you feel we should emulate the white. Though I agree with some of what you pointed out but you see the aspect of animal husbandry and food is totally rubbish and uncalled for.

To remind you, those are the food our forefathers ate and they live many years. So tell me, what's health and what's unhealthy. You said its unsustainable lol you funny, what has been on way before you were born. Your statement on our food is just funny.

What is wrong with animal husbandry? You cant ask me to life my life the way the eroupian or Americans live theirs. Heck, they take wild animals as pet dog, snake, lion, spider, rat, cat, just think of any animal and practically exchange intimacy with them... kissing, eating from same plate, bathing together and all what not. I am sure this appeal to you because it is the way of the white. Yet you come here to criticise our way. To me, I am yet to see what's wrong with animal husbandry.

Again, when has been loud become a crime or bad thing? Maybe they should be loud as well that way their suicide rate might reduce owing to depression and isolation. They lack social life, just too isolated for my liking. (You see what I tried to do there?) In essence, they are quiet, I am loud no good or bad.

Just change your mindset a bit maybe you will see clearly.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by MyGeneration(m): 9:54am On Dec 14, 2020
Dayoebe:
Ottawa, Canada

Vision 20230
Even with the bible quote for ur bio u no still get faith
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by FuckThaMod: 9:56am On Dec 14, 2020
etrange:

I'm in Canada. Some parts of Canada are far my diverse than others so it might be over generalizing to assume it's the same thing everywhere. Besides, I only shared my personal experience.

The truth is, Nigeria isn't even as well known as people in Nigeria like to think. Questions like where is Nigeria, is it anglophone or francophone, etc. are not uncommon.
Canada and yet you're supporting the evil gov't of Nigeria. you must be very wicked angry

3 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Ogalanyaidi(m): 9:57am On Dec 14, 2020
Many white women who date blacks are always scared of Nigerians. They fear that they are gonna be dumped one day. Moreso, the hatred and envy that we experience comes from fellow Nigerians and other Africans. Oyibo no send you.

Melbourne, Australia

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ablemachine(m): 9:59am On Dec 14, 2020
etrange:

I'm in Canada. Some parts of Canada are far my diverse than others so it might be over generalizing to assume it's the same thing everywhere. Besides, I only shared my personal experience.

The truth is, Nigeria isn't even as well known as people in Nigeria like to think. Questions like where is Nigeria, is it anglophone or francophone, etc. are not uncommon.

The Bolded. Stop wasting internet ink. Why not just say Are not Common

13 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Lucas4903: 10:01am On Dec 14, 2020
The Truth from my experience of living in the US and now Canada is that majority dont even know where Nigeria is unless u educate them. First you will never see news on Africa on any of their local stations except if it is war or famine or some sort of devastation. So they have a skewed knowledge of Africa nonetheless they dont give a Bleep about where u come from.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Lucas4903: 10:04am On Dec 14, 2020
etrange:
To start with, the city where I live is considered to be the most diverse city in the world. Virtually everyone is from somewhere. In such a place, people are addressed based on their content and not based on where they are from or their accent. The truth is, we all have read or heard many things about one another's country (both good and bad) and we have also met both good and terrible people from the same country. So we know better than to stereotype people. To be honest, most of my experience has been in the corporate environment but I strongly believe the city is way too diverse for Nigerians to be singled out nevertheless.

To answer the OP more directly, everyone knows I'm Nigerian at my place of work cause we normally spend a lot of time talking about our home countries and no one has ever reacted in an unruly manner towards me on learning I'm from Nigeria (even as I'm the only African in the organisation).

As diverse as Canada is and YET you are the only African in the Organization (some sort of bragging right I presume).....except if is not the Canada I know anymore. Wehdone sir.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by sharpwriter(m): 10:05am On Dec 14, 2020
11Anonymous:
A friend of mine regretted visiting Lagos for a holiday.

What happened to him?
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Depressed101: 10:06am On Dec 14, 2020
4words:

Just look at this overzealous Oyinbo wannabe ... you successfully all that is your culture just because you feel we should emulate the white. Though I agree with some of what you pointed out but you see the aspect of animal husbandry and food is totally rubbish and uncalled for.

To remind you, those are the food our forefathers ate and they live many years. So tell me, what's health and what's unhealthy. You said its unsustainable lol you funny, what has been on way before you were born. Your statement on our food is just funny.

What is wrong with animal husbandry? You cant ask me to life my life the way the eroupian or Americans live theirs. Heck, they take wild animals as pet dog, snake, lion, spider, rat, cat, just think of any animal and practically exchange intimacy with them... kissing, eating from same plate, bathing together and all what not. I am sure this appeal to you because it is the way of the white. Yet you come here to criticise our way. To me, I am yet to see what's wrong with animal husbandry.
Abeg don't mind that one, he is a product of miseducation. Fowls that oyibo keep as pet, or train for meat, is what he's reading unnecessary meanings to...

I think he thinks the white man is better than him

12 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by RedPanthar: 10:07am On Dec 14, 2020
Lucas4903:

As diverse as Canada is and YET you are the only African in the Organization (some sort of bragging right I presume).....except if is not the Canada I know anymore. Wehdone sir.

Bitter soul. Must you guys see evil and darkness in everything. Dark soul

To the pure all things are pure. To the impure all things are impure. Shioooooooor

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Depressed101: 10:07am On Dec 14, 2020
ablemachine:

The Bolded. Stop wasting internet ink. Why not just say Are Common
chei are they not the same? Ahh Nigerians get brain problems sha..

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Depressed101: 10:11am On Dec 14, 2020
Lucas4903:

Nigerians are hasty generalization, do you know there are more orgs without people of color than there are with people of color.... Talk your own and stop looking errors. Nigerians who do una this thing chei... Unua busi kwa Madi, were Uche?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by TinubuGoQuench(f): 10:13am On Dec 14, 2020
There is nothing good to talk about Nigeria
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 14, 2020
Here to read and learn am still in Nigeria. Nice comment...

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by yungchop: 10:16am On Dec 14, 2020
golddust6000:
you lied big time. No one I mean no one think that way in Germany pls don’t lie. I lived almost 14 years from Dortmund to Stuttgart

Boss can you help me aaquire a work permit over there? Money is not my problem and I don't want to go through the student route

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by yungchop: 10:17am On Dec 14, 2020
Lucas4903:
The Truth from my experience of living in the US and now Canada is that majority dont even know where Nigeria is unless u educate them. First you will never see news on Africa on any of their local stations except if it is war or famine or some sort of devastation. So they have a skewed knowledge of Africa nonetheless they dont give a Bleep about where u come from.

Bros, US or Canada, how do I get in apart from student route? I'm ready to leave by January bro
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 14, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

See naija reasoning. She is telling her experience, what she has gone through . You dont know her, you are not in her shoes but you disagree with her. SMH

It's the one's that have never traveled that have the loudest opinions. Ain't that funny grin

9 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Angelacruz: 10:23am On Dec 14, 2020
Wow!
Caracta:
Well for me, I think it depends on the scenario. By the way, I live in California.

At school (college), the people around me find it exciting especially my professors. They want to learn more about my culture. Working with patients at a clinic, my accent gives me away as a Nigerian and only one 'salty' person asked about the "Nigerian Prince". Apparently, he was scammed badly by a Nigerian and he took it out on me. He was literally screaming the place down. Long and short, we became friends.

When I worked as an elementary school teacher, I realized many of the students have different orientation about Africa. They didn't even know Nigeria per se so I was always carrying a map around to show them. I was sick of explaining that Africa was not a country with animals on the streets. A little boy even told me he heard they eat humans in Africa and he asked if I was going to eat him too.

As for my friends (non-African), oh those ones are the sweetest. They say Nigerians talk so loud you would think they were fighting. One day, I had my two small wraps of fufu and vegetable soup with assorted meat, and my friends were legit scared for me. They were like, "do you want to die? How can you eat all of that?" They think we do things at the extreme...eating, talking, dancing, playing, etc. Even our names are so long. Lol.

Overall, I've had a good time. I am a proud Nigerian...a proud African. My daughter wears ankara fabric dress to school once a week or two. I wear my culture like a hat and I am not sorry I am black!
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ModestGal(f): 10:24am On Dec 14, 2020
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Visit To Laguna Beach In Lagos / A Hiking Experience In Snake Island / JSS3 Student Crushed To Death By Tanker In Enugu (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.