Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike (20323 Views)

ASUU Holds Emergency NEC Meeting On Monday Over Half Salary / ASUU To Hold Emergency Meeting On Thursday. Strike To Be Likely Called Off / ASUU Cancel All Meeting With Federal Government Say No Date For Resumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by SirWarlock: 12:53pm On Dec 15, 2020
Ramsey19:
CONUA just need to resume academic activities by January since ASUU are not showing any sign of seriousness.
how many lecturers are part of conua? If they were very significant, I doubt ASUU would be this dogged sad.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Ibegtodiffer: 1:19pm On Dec 15, 2020
kutchs:

Be careful what you wish for before it's used against you.
If the govt doesn't want workers to go on strike then attend to their demands genuinely and promptly. You don't sign agreement with a union in 2009 and 11 years most of the resolutions haven't been implemented. Is that fair?

When Buhari's govt came in in 2015, they changed the oft used Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to Memorandum of Action (MOA) to signal a departure from the past and continue in its deception of the Nigerian masses. Five years after the first MOA was signed, what has changed?
ASUU isn't happy being on strike but the minimum requirements of its demands have to be met. You've agreed to settle their outstanding salary arrears, what's stopping you from doing so?
You think ASUU is stupid enough to continue to believe and trust the words of a deceptive and cunning govt? No way.

Well said sir.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Ibegtodiffer: 1:26pm On Dec 15, 2020
Gabbriell:

There is no consultation going on.

The consultation ended on 9th. After which they made their decision known via a letter from the union clarifying false allegations from FG (which claimed they agree to call of the strike) and further stating that the strike continues untill demands are met.

No meeting was arranged since then..as the supposed last week Wednesday meeting didn't hold.

Nice explanation. The only unfortunate thing is that the "Prophetm0hammed" dude is a sponsored team lead, media arm in charge of ASUU matters.

Notice he uses "we" when he's talking.

What I'm sure is that ASUU's struggle is just and they will triumph.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Hamzaaaaaaaa(m): 1:34pm On Dec 15, 2020
When they were busy rigging election for this bloody fools
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Gabbriell: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2020
Ibegtodiffer:

Nice explanation. The only unfortunate thing is that the "Prophetm0hammed" dude is a sponsored team lead, media arm in charge of ASUU matters.

It's just a matter of time, ASUU will come out victorious. Their cases against the federal government are very solid. Even if taken to Court the fedral government will lose.

FG is just trying to punish them and send message to other unions who might be thinking of going to strike in the nearby future.

The only sad thing is that federal government punishment of ASUU is also affecting the students which is bad.

2 Likes

Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by bahaushe1: 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

What offers?
Biodun said they are still consulting na.
I know it will take ASUU 5 months to finish consultations, infact they are yet to reach out to their members in Uranus and Saturn, due to distance barrier, that's why it's taking more time.

We can't do anything for ASUU until we hear the outcome of their consultations.

I had problem with that press release by the President too. The union had opportunity to officially inform government the main reason for not suspending strike but failed to do so. They had opportunity during the November 27th meeting and in that press release.

The leadership of the union should be more open and direct.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Tjiaz(m): 2:35pm On Dec 15, 2020
What a shame
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by SirWarlock: 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2020
bahaushe1:

I had problem with that press release by the President too. The union had opportunity to officially inform government the main reason for not suspending strike but failed to do so. They had opportunity during the November 27th meeting and in that press release.

The leadership of the union should be more open and direct.
Nah what is needed is a third party. Cause at this point you wonder what they even discuss for hours in that conference room for them to always counteract each other when they're done shocked angry
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by okezman(m): 3:07pm On Dec 15, 2020
National minimum wage was signed by Buhari in 2018. Lo and behold this is December 2020 and we are yet to be paid our NMWA among other allowances. Strike continues
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by bahaushe1: 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
SirWarlock:
Nah what is needed is a third party. Cause at this point you wonder what they even discuss for hours in that conference room for them to always counteract each other when they're done shocked angry

Ngige supposed to be the third party, a conciliator, but he chose to be on the side of the government.

2 Likes

Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by bassekay(m): 5:03pm On Dec 15, 2020
ASUU and FG had reached an agreement. Minister of Labour & Employment, Chris Ngige has not fulfilled his promise as he said. The lecturers have not received their salaries and that is why the strike has not been suspended. But Chris ngige is busy using the media to deceive people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by King44(m): 10:08pm On Dec 15, 2020
Judolisco:
Students neva ready resume... When u guys r ready to resume u will come out to protest....... If una kuku finish d sch sef no b say job dey o
Until students of various universities come out and embark on nationwide protest without giving regards to student union leaders etc we might not reason till February or March and if we are unlucky probably till April.

Those student union leaders, ASUU, SUG all together are bunch of idiots

4 Likes

Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Le2money(m): 3:34am On Dec 16, 2020
You are only saying this because you didn't find yourself in their situation....A senator would be receiving 28M monthly for doing nothing but what belongs to this Lecturers were being deprived from them since 2009....can u imagine.. before taking sides, we need to check the two sides. Lastly, after this fight to finish, trust me, u will never hear a single strike from ASUU for the next 20 years.

21cents:
Honestly a law need to passed such that any body that went on strike for more than 4 months should forfeit their salaries post 4 month. Because the way I'm seeing it, this is nothing but holding the FG to ransom. You'd still be gingered to continue strike knowing fully well you'd still receive salaries.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by HeroicMeastro: 7:08am On Dec 16, 2020
madecity:
IPPIS >revitalization>alllowances>withheld salaries

its quite simple,you go for strike,you forfeit your salary.

they are talking about withheld salaries,what about the lecture time they wasted for students.sack ASUU members,sack the concernd ministers too

buh who will do the sacking...smh.
wahala ooo.
Are you ok at all?
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by SRichard1: 7:22am On Dec 16, 2020
It's really appalling�
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by ProphetM0hammad: 7:43am On Dec 16, 2020
Ibegtodiffer:

The only thing I'll tell you is that, the students won't be the only one to lose something this time around. That has already been decided.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by prof209(f): 7:52am On Dec 16, 2020
...It's TIME to celebrate your BIRTHDAY since FG and ASUU are still "celebrating theirs"....

SEE something in my signature for you
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Ibegtodiffer: 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

The only thing I'll tell you is that, the students won't be the only one to lose something this time around. That has already been decided.

Hahaha...you ehn. Well ASUU already lose a lot. But we pray it ends in favour of the country. At times there is no wisdom in burning down a house to kill the Rat, cos at the end, the same house must be rebuilt. But who dey ground, no dey fear to fall. Cheers.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by ProphetM0hammad: 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ibegtodiffer:

Hahaha...you ehn. Well ASUU already lose a lot. But we pray it ends in favour of the country. At times there is no wisdom in burning down a house to kill the Rat, cos at the end, the same house must be rebuilt. But who dey ground, no dey fear to fall. Cheers.
Students have been the only casualties from time immemorial.
What has ASUU lost?
They go on incessant strikes which allow them to focus on other businesses knowing fully well that they will be paid their salaries once they get back.
I have said it several times that Strikes won't improve anything. Let ASUU call a congress and ask their members to endorse Buhari for third term, you'll be surprised a significant portion of them will oblige. Then after carelessly getting a dedicated cow parent in power, they start demanding this and that knowing fully well that he doesn't care about education.

The 70B will be released, but the issue of salaries will be settled in court next month.
In this struggle against the evil Government, the students will lose their time, which sadly can't be gotten back while the lecturers will lose some salaries which is still considerable, one can always make money anytime.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by Ibegtodiffer: 7:17pm On Dec 16, 2020
ProphetM0hammad:

Students have been the only casualties from time immemorial.
What has ASUU lost?
They go on incessant strikes which allow them to focus on other businesses knowing fully well that they will be paid their salaries once they get back.
I have said it several times that Strikes won't improve anything. Let ASUU call a congress and ask their members to endorse Buhari for third term, you'll be surprised a significant portion of them will oblige. Then after carelessly getting a dedicated cow parent in power, they start demanding this and that knowing fully well that he doesn't care about education.

The 70B will be released, but the issue of salaries will be settled in court next month.
In this struggle against the evil Government, the students will lose their time, which sadly can't be gotten back while the lecturers will lose some salaries which is still considerable, one can always make money anytime.

Choi! you have become an oracle in this matter o, Lol! Most things you say seems to happen! I hope this doesn't go in favour of your prediction this time. because there would always be consequences. Remember court verdict does not change the will of a people. Several members are leaving the country, a lot more are plotting same. At the end you'll be left, largely with those who do the work just to earn salaries. And I don't know a country that gets better by mortgaging it's intellectuals. Academia is a universal venture. As long as you're good, infact, above average (60%), opportunities will always present themselves. I pray the FG does not wreck more havoc on the future of education, just to prove their might.
Re: FG, ASUU Cancel Meeting On Strike by ProphetM0hammad: 7:40pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ibegtodiffer:

Choi! you have become an oracle in this matter o, Lol! Most things you say seems to happen! I hope this doesn't go in favour of your prediction this time. because there would always be consequences. Remember court verdict does not change the will of a people. Several members are leaving the country, a lot more are plotting same. At the end you'll be left, largely with those who do the work just to earn salaries. And I don't know a country that gets better by mortgaging it's intellectuals. Academia is a universal venture. As long as you're good, infact, above average (60%), opportunities will always present themselves. I pray the FG does not wreck more havoc on the future of education, just to prove their might.
I'm not making any prediction. It was Ngige that didn't deliver the right messages. No one agreed to pay ASUU any outstanding salaries before they call off the strike.
We'll see when the case is taken to industrial court. One lecturer here was arguing with me that even though they are on strike they have been working as their works doesn't start and end in the classroom, that some of them have been doing their Publishing and some kangaroo researches.
He may be right.
But the Circular sent to the Government in March reads:
Total and comprehensive strike, with items such as: Stoppage of project supervisions and all research works among others succinctly put.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Upgrades Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Ogun To University / ABSUTH Provost Joins Students In Protest (photos) / Federal University Of Agriculture Makurdi Renamed Joseph Tarka University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.