Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,061 members, 7,859,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:47 PM

The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know (367 Views)

I Won’t Refund Cost Of Flyovers To Rivers – Tinubu Tells Wike / Amaechi Built Five Flyovers, Rivers APC Replies Wike / Stop Celebrating Ordinary Flyovers In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know by Newsline09(m): 10:09am On Dec 16, 2020
https://statesman.ng/the-awka-flyovers-what-the-vitriolic-oppositions-dont-know/

I was supposed to continue with my series titled "Governor Willie Obiano, portrait of an uncommon Transformation Agent" the part 2 of it, were I had planned to showcase the transformation of Awka Capital Territory and Willie Obiano being the only Governor who gave Awka sixty five percent development out of a possible Hundred.

I know this State too well and level of Awka during the era of his predecessors, we all remember, how a certain ex- Governor contemplated on moving the State's capital to Onitsha and abandon Awka stating that Awka is not suitable to be the capital of Anambra State, due to frivolous reasons he cited.

In 2013, when Willie Obiano was elected and inaugurated in March 2014, his first point of call was to quash the notion of Awka not being enough to contain the State Capital, he immediately embarked on massive remodeling of the City. In his plan to revitalize Awka, Willie Obiano started with planning of Awka City, with the establishment of Awka Capital Territory Development Authority (ACTDA), the blueprint of Awka development was hatched and her development commenced from there.

Today, the people of Awka who were once ashamed of their town turned Oliver Twist within a fortnight, they began to ask for more having seen that Transformation of Awka can be possible.

Awka is not just a State Capital as at today, but a Smart city described by residents as the Millionaires City, all thanks to Governor Willie Obiano ingenuity.

Road constructions in Awka were jettisoned and other critical developments, like housing and hospitality amongst many others abandoned, but today, the story has changed with the people still asking for more.

My kind of person doesn't pay attention to feedbacks on my articles, but yesterday, I sat down to identity the real problem of the oppositions in the State and why they still play sick and petty politics, I was able to garner that ignorance is holding them hostage.

Some readers asked, why Heavy duty vehicles are not allowed to play the Three (3) flyovers in Awka.

Many others from the opposition responded with their usual hate and vitriol that the flyovers are not solid and how Obiano heaped sands on the expressway in guise of flyovers.

Ignorance has really dealt with my people, hence the reason I suspended the part 2 of my article to assist the unsuspecting members of the public with information before bitter oppositions eats them deep with their incorrectness.

Infrastructures, such as Flyovers and other building projects are built with strict adherence to the planning of the City and possible environmental hazards are equally considered.

The Governor did not design the flyovers himself, this was done by team of professional Engineers, seasoned Architects, experts in Road construction and Town planning, hence, the planning of Awka City. Again, considering the positioning of these flyovers, the smart city planning won't allow Heavy duty otherwise know as trucks to ply on it.

The design of the Awka flyovers isn't for heavy-duty vehicles, as truck poses more danger to lives and properties. Such flyover built in a busy lane can't possibly allow heavy duty vehicles fly over it to avoid incessant and avoidable accidents knowing that trucks have higher tendencies of mishaps; it’s either a truck hitting a support post or its containers falling off the tracks and descend on pedestrians doing business or going about their daily activities in the heart of the capital city; accidents are one of the leading reasons many flyovers are not open to Trucks.

The Awka flyovers were designed to last for a duration of forty - fifty (40 - 50) years, if properly managed and maintained, parts of its maintenance and management cost for durability were to avoid constant weights on the flyovers since its domiciled in an urban area, going by the busy nature of the Awka city, it will be wrong to disregard the counsel of seasoned experts.

Every bridge and flyovers are built with purpose, that of Awka flyovers were erected with strict adherence to Awka City planning and to solve the many infrastructural deficit in the capital city not otherwise.

Around the world, different flyovers are open to different purpose and interest not just in Awka and Anambra State.

Numerous flyovers in China, America and other developed countries of the world have many flyovers open to non heavy-duty vehicles, I wonder the insensitivity in our very own clime.

It will be unwise and not too healthy for the capital city if trucks always ply the flyovers, it will reduce the quality, duration and pose threat of constant traffic on the flyovers that may cause accidents. The duty of every Government is to take stiff action and decision in protecting the lives and properties of her citizens.

Though the oppositions must critic the decision and policies of every Government in power, one must at all times be sensible and ethical when doing such.

Ụlọka Chukwubụikem
Ulokachuks@yahoo.com
Media Strategist
Re: The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know by Nobody: 10:15am On Dec 16, 2020
akwa is really underated sha "e be tins oo!
Re: The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know by Mutemenot(m): 10:27am On Dec 16, 2020
Tell your Governor to embark on road construction ..majority of the roads in the state 're death trap.. He should also call his Taskforce that has littered the entire state, robbing innocent citizens ....

I don't want to mention the flyover, we know it didn't solve the purpose of having a flyover... we still record series of traffic jam within the flyovers as a result of poor architecture...
Re: The Awka Flyovers: What The Vitriolic Oppositions Don't Know by Carlyscales: 10:53am On Dec 16, 2020
How much were you paid for this?
mtcheew!!

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best Personality Of The Year? / Nigerian Edo State Man Beat Up Mother In-law And Wife (video) / NEWS Csos Reveal Individuals Behind Insecurity In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.