Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? (963 Views)

Does It Mean Our Juju Is Not Working? (Pictures) / Atiku Shuns PDP Youths Hires Foreigner As Social Media Consultant / PDP Will Win Next Year Presidential Election - Saraki Boasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2020
With the new NIN-sim registration that the communication ministry came up with recently, what becomes the fate of foreigners living, working or visiting Nigeria. Since they can't register for national ID card and no NIN number, what will become of them as regards the new policy.

I tire for who no tire for policies our leaders are coming up with.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by DonCortino: 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ncc boss thinks with his Anus.

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
Well, a foreigner can use a

1.Phone that a Nigerian has pre-registered for him. Remember the laws don't limit the no of SIMS YOIU CAN BUY...

So a foreign visitor can use a SIM that has been registered for him by a Nigerian pal.

2.It's long term visitors that have an issue...although I suspect that they would use their registration details with the Nigeria Immigration Service...or they can get a Nigerian pal to register a phone on their behalf.
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:
Well, a foreigner can use a

1.Phone that a Nigerian has pre-registered for him. Remember the laws don't limit the no of SIMS YOIU CAN BUY...

So a foreign visitor can use a SIM that has been registered for him by a Nigerian pal.

2.It's long term visitors that have an issue...although I suspect that they would use their registration details with the Nigeria Immigration Service...or they can get a Nigerian pal to register a phone on their behalf.

How many Nigerians can register a sim and hand it out to someone else to use - foreigner or not?
What if an intending tourist or business person does not have pal or pals in Nigeria??
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2020
OOzz:

How many Nigerians can register a sim and hand it out to someone else to use - foreigner or not?
What if an intending tourist or business person does not have pal or pals in Nigeria??

Then he uses a phone with an international SIM card, or checks in his home country to see if he can use his network abroad (ie international roaming).

Hey, MTN and Glo offer international roaming for Nigerians traveling out...so I guess many companies do the same.

2 Likes

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by mbaise1000: 3:00pm On Dec 16, 2020
this is nigeria, all things are possible, I shouldn't loose sleep over it

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 16, 2020
Claudiusdeux:

Then he uses a phone with an international SIM card, or checks in his home country to see if he can use his network abroad (ie international roaming).

Hey, MTN and Glo offer international roaming for Nigerians traveling out...so I guess many companies do the same.

I get ur point, but let's look at it this way.

I am a lebanese and I am coming to Nigeria to establish a bizness. I can't get a NIN coz I am not a citizen and won't be one until after 10years or so (with lots of rigorous processes).

Does this mean the business I will establish in Nigeria will use my lebanese (foreign) number to operate those years I will be staying in Nigeria. I am yet to see any business running in a given country, but using contact number from another country (I maybe wrong though).

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by jagaban002(m): 3:11pm On Dec 16, 2020
When student where asked to provide NIN I remember how some student will be at the local Govt as early as 4 to 5am and still not be attended to unless to pay 5k to 10k.
Now that it’s the whole Nigeria that needs it
1)how will the poor pay 5k to 10k for NIN
2) this people will attend to 10 people and say they are tired for the day
3)giving 2 weeks or 2 months for something like this is too short for country that has more than 200m population
4) Whoever bring this idea thinks with is leg not is head because even 70% of the country don’t have NIN and u know 90% have SIM cards , so how are we going to meet up with the time given in this fail country

LASTLY - MAY GOD HELP US ALL

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2020
DonCortino:
Ncc boss thinks with his Anus.

The policy was from the Ministry of Communication and Digital economy, headed by Isa Pantami
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Karlovich: 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2020
grin grin grin, That's what it means except for immigrants from Chad and Niger Republic. Useless and stupid leaders
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2020
OOzz:

I get ur point, but let's look at it this way.

I am a lebanese and I am coming to Nigeria to establish a bizness. I can't get a NIN coz I am not a citizen and won't be one until after 10years or so (with lots of rigorous processes).

Does this mean the business I will establish in Nigeria will use my lebanese (foreign) number to operate those years I will be staying in Nigeria. I am yet to see any business running in a given country, but using contact number from another country (I maybe wrong though).

Every foreigner working in Nigeria has to register with the NIS...so I think for them, the Government might consider using their NIS(Nigeria Immigration Service ) registration number for for3eigners working in Nigeria.

(Just speculating here)
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by WoundedLamb: 3:37pm On Dec 16, 2020
Nice question. I think the government is taking the first step in a direction we all know already (or maybe I'm just being optimistic). Short term visitors don't need Nigerian numbers generally and longterm visa holders (permanent residents, students or those with work permits) would be given a means of identification that has a number they can use to register thier SIM cards. Something like the NIS number. This will enrich our database if effectively implemented.

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Eryyy92: 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2020
make Nigerians no stress their selves this shit won't work in Nigeria
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Flytime: 5:39pm On Dec 16, 2020
They'll probably require their passport to register like it's done in developed nations

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 17, 2020
Flytime:
They'll probably require their passport to register like it's done in developed nations
Ok...
Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Whois(m): 2:42am On Dec 17, 2020
That's why we have international roaming

1 Like

Re: Does It Mean That From Next Year, A Foreigner Cannot Own A Nigerian Sim? by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 17, 2020
Whois:
That's why we have international roaming

Oga, we are not talking about roaming here

(1) (Reply)

16 Years Old Female Bandit Arrested In Niger State With Fire Arms / If You Could Block Nairaland Users, Who Would It Be? / Buhari To Face The International Criminal Court For Killing SouthEasterners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.