Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Please Help Me Decide - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Help Me Decide (376 Views)

Top 10 Facts To Know About Django To Decide If You Need It / Please Help Decide Which One Is Ok For Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Decide by Unclesmart12: 9:13pm On Dec 16, 2020
I'm a student about to enter 400lv once the strike is called off, I'm studying statistics/computer science (bsc.edu). We've been thought numerous programming languages in school like pascal,c++,c# and java but most times its just a scratch on the surface, our lecturer would always say our school fees is too poor to teach us the money making part of programming.

As it stands I can't even beat my chest and boast of one thing I've learnt in the university especially computer sci,stat and edu courses are a little bit better though its still mostly LA cram LA pour. I want to improve myself now and gain necessary skills because I might miss out on service due to my age.

Please advice me on which part of programming I can venture into, I have tried python and I love it, stumbled on data science and still liked it because its a combination of my courses in school though its kinda difficult shaa. I still tried out web development and have completed courses on HTML and CSS, I'm just confused.

I want to focus on one fully now, with no end in sight for the strike and no meaningful job available I want to devout all my time to coding so as not to lose on both ends since time is going really fast.

Your comments is needed pls
Re: Please Help Me Decide by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:17pm On Dec 16, 2020
Bros I would advise web development but find a specific niche. When I started this web development, immediately I completed the frontend track I started applying to jobs on Upwork. Omo would you believe the skills I spent 6 months acquiring were looking like they weren't in demand. I had to start learning things like PHP and WordPress because thats what sells out there. WordPress, Shopify, Magento, Drupal et al. I would advise you to learn the basic languages. For frontend pick a framework like React or Vue. For backend instead of picking a specific language find a platform and learn the language that powers the platform. Most of these platforms also have certifications which employers always request for. Look towards stuff like SAP, Magento, Drupal, Salesforce et al immediately you are done with your frontend journey. Don't follow the MERN stack people o before you join tech twitter to start looking for a place to work for free to gain experience grin grin.

These platforms are used by big companies and they always have issues getting developers because everyone is learning the shiny stuff. All the big companies in Nigeria and Abroad use SAP as ERP software and Salesforce for CRM. Big E-commerce businesses use Magento. You can check the Magento website there are just around 10 certified Magento developers in Africa. I tracked all of them to their Linkedin and they are all working with very big companies. Just find a niche and specialize in it o.

Another thing to note is that most of this platforms have their own JavaScript Framework. Salesforce has lightning which is very similar to React. Sap has sapui5 as its own framework. Magento can work with frameworks like React and Vue. Just get to react then pick a platform and master.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Decide by Unclesmart12: 6:39am On Dec 17, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Bros I would advise web development but find a specific niche. When I started this web development, immediately I completed the frontend track I started applying to jobs on Upwork. Omo would you believe the skills I spent 6 months acquiring were looking like they weren't in demand. I had to start learning things like PHP and WordPress because thats what sells out there. WordPress, Shopify, Magento, Drupal et al. I would advise you to learn the basic languages. For frontend pick a framework like React or Vue. For backend instead of picking a specific language find a platform and learn the language that powers the platform. Most of these platforms also have certifications which employers always request for. Look towards stuff like SAP, Magento, Drupal, Salesforce et al immediately you are done with your frontend journey. Don't follow the MERN stack people o before you join tech twitter to start looking for a place to work for free to gain experience grin grin.

These platforms are used by big companies and they always have issues getting developers because everyone is learning the shiny stuff. All the big companies in Nigeria and Abroad use SAP as ERP software and Salesforce for CRM. Big E-commerce businesses use Magento. You can check the Magento website there are just around 10 certified Magento developers in Africa. I tracked all of them to their Linkedin and they are all working with very big companies. Just find a niche and specialize in it o.

Another thing to note is that most of this platforms have their own JavaScript Framework. Salesforce has lightning which is very similar to React. Sap has sapui5 as its own framework. Magento can work with frameworks like React and Vue. Just get to react then pick a platform and master.
Thanks man, I really appreciate a lot
Re: Please Help Me Decide by BigDawsNet: 5:08pm On Dec 17, 2020
You should stoping jumping from a field to other field...

Pick one and develop yourself
Later you can switch

As a fresh computer scientist

You wanna work with an IT company when you graduate... You gonna need a great digital programming skills..

You can start with web development

Or I will suggest software development...

Start a basic course online
When you through dedicate a year to run a full program with a great programing school in your area

Goodluck
Re: Please Help Me Decide by Anonime1105(m): 1:53am On Dec 18, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I saw something like this recently on nland

(1) (Reply)

Drupal 9.2.0 Is Available: What’s New In The Latest Update? / I Need A Python Programmer/developer / I Need A Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.