Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,327 members, 7,819,119 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? (936 Views)

Alamieyeseigha's Wife Ill, Son Killed In Dubai / Prisoners Protest VIP Treatment Of Lebanese Terror Suspects / Chidi Lloyd Sues Police For N50billion Over Ill-treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Bankole01(m): 6:04pm On Jun 30, 2007
Many Nigerians are being treated or have been on the receiving end of harsh treatment ion foreign lands. Can it be said that Nigerians earned the bad names we are tagged with? or is it just pure racism?
Many Nigerians have been hanged, shot, decapitated or jailed for one offence or another. Are unusually harsh punishments reserved for Nigerian citizens only? or is it deserved owning to our penchant for get rich quick schemes and illegality of our people?
Also owning to the fact that we want to the leave the shores of Nigeria at all costs, Nigeria constitute the greatest number of immigrants all over the world. most times, they are illegal aliens who task the the law enforcement, social and economies agencies of host nations.

The rate at which some Nigerians have become nuisance in developed (and sometimes undeveloped) countries is alarming. Unfortunately, people with legitimate businesses in such places are made to suffer for the sins of their crooked compatriots.

From drug dealing, check kiting, credit card fraud, identity stealing, prostitution, ect, our boys and gals are at the top of these nefarious activities.
These bad eggs amonst us make our doctors, lawyers, teachers, law enforcement officers and other success stories look bad. Should we then as concerned compadres, feel any compassion for these people when they get caught?
Should we not say good for you and leave them to face their plight?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by hannydarl(f): 9:36pm On Jun 30, 2007
My brother the thing tire me o.Last year I travelled out and at the airport in the transit countyr come see how them dey sarch us nigerians now you will be ashamed to be one if you were there. But on my return they dint even care to search us since the plane was not comming from nigeria we just disembarked and went straight to the desk without any qualms.
I guess we have our corrupt brothers to blame not that nigeria is the only corrupt country in the world its just that our own get more degree pass others just as iraq is not the only country that has violence in the world but them own get degree pas others. I dont want to sound unpatriotic o but I am looking forward to get a new citizenship so that I will jump and pass all the nigerian stigma I face when leaving the country and when trying to get deals done with foriegners .
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by doncaster(m): 10:57pm On Jun 30, 2007
which kinda deal u are doing with forigners, hope not the type that will make us more bad to them. Pls o
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by hannydarl(f): 1:53am On Jul 01, 2007
If na the type wey go spoil naija name you for no see my comment here.Business does not have to be only between nigerians and the bad rep of our people dey make people no trust us again when it comes to money mater.
No worry I am a good nigerian not the banza type.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 2:23am On Jul 01, 2007
This kind of treatment is well deserved. When you leave your father's house to go and be sleeping in another person's house without their consent, do you expect to be treated nicely?

Then it's not as if Nigerians stop there. They steal, rape, dupe and pollute these already unwilling hosts and you expect them to treat you nicely.

I will even support a system in which these countries will just randomly select any Nigerian in their country for punishment because Naija own don too much.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Bankole01(m): 2:21pm On Jul 01, 2007
denex:

I will even support a system in which these countries will just randomly select any Nigerian in their country for punishment because Naija own don too much.

A criminal should never go unpunished. Randomly pick up people for punishment?
How would you like to be the person randomly picked up to atone for the sins of others??
That person could be a teacher, pharmacist or other self respecting and hard working person.
How does that justify anything?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 2:57pm On Jul 01, 2007
Well, to prevent all that, that's why I stayed in my father's land. I didn't become an unwanted guest in another man's country.

Whether a doctor, a robber, a teacher or a footballer, they are not happy that foreigners are coming to take a share of their national cake.

By the way, the whole random picking thing was just an overexegeration! Don't take me too seriously or you'll have a heart attack.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 3:00pm On Jul 01, 2007
Bankole01:

Nigeria constitute the greatest number of immigrants all over the world.

This is a most untrue statement. The chinese and Indians are. Also, Nigerians are not the most fraudulent people either, At least in the Uk. That is not to say that i am excusing the unbecoming behaviour but lets try and put things in perspective and not let sentiments becloud our reasoning.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Bankole01(m): 3:13pm On Jul 01, 2007
@angel 101: how many percentile  of Nigerians are refugees or immigrants in a foreign land?
In number, Nigerians may not outnumber Chinese or Indians as immigrants, but in shear percentage, I am sure a greater percentile of immigrants are Nigerians.
These ofcourse include you and I.

No sentiments here, honey (pls excuse me for using the term of endearment) no pun intended!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 10:33pm On Jul 01, 2007
lol!!!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 10:34pm On Jul 01, 2007
can we have the stats please?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Tornadoz(m): 11:44pm On Jul 01, 2007
If you don't like the way you're treated in USA, come back home. People built America and Europe, stop bleating about racism, come and build your "Europe" in Nigeria.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by adconline(m): 5:33am On Jul 02, 2007
if everything about Nigeria is bad change your nationality
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by MP007(m): 5:37am On Jul 02, 2007
stil wondering why everybody wanna get their blue passport, u should see the way i was threated when i visited nigeria with a blue passport, omo , i almost cried cos they threated us like criminals in amsterdam when i first traveled with the useless green passport

they only checked nigerian paasports , others were not even checked, ma word .it was terrible, thank God sha!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 8:12am On Jul 02, 2007
Make una stay one place! Stay one place O!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 02, 2007
I am an advocate of building Nigeria by Nigerians. Its only Natural to treat foreigners with prejudice after their fore fathers struggled to build their country others want to come and enjoy the fruits of their labor (Literally speaking.).
I have always toled my friends who are crazy about leaving Nigeria that if we put the same kind of commitment and hard work we put in their we will move a step forward. Imagine someone keeping 4 jobs as a student in US, yet how many Nigerian students keep any part time job to supplement their income.
Anyway, different strokes for different folks, Me i would like to work very hard in Nigeria and contribute my small part to building Nigeria.
We can all start by throwing litter in trash cans not on the streets.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 8:30am On Jul 02, 2007
For God sake, it was African strength, perseverance and labour that was used to build Europe and America. Why can African efforts not be used to build Africa itself. Must we be chained and flogged before we function?

Nigerians stay one place. If you want to be Nigerian, stay in Nigeria and be dedicated to making it work. If you want to go out, stay out, quit complaining about what happens in Nigeria and accept the treatment you get.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by naijaway(m): 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2007
Is not about travelling out from my own point of view; is about travelling out and everything they do to u is acceptable but when u come back, if the police says hold on then u go hear insults and heavy boasting. Same for naija, any refraf from anywhere even lebanon wey be say if u give those ones ur dog cage anywhere outside west African them go thank u even wan invoke muhammed comot from the koran but when they come to naija they are treated like the heavenly angels, and even treated like white people considering how naija and our other brothas around us treat white people.
It goes back to what the europeans, americans, asians, and arabs have been saying generation after generation that "black people are inferior people" where naija is just a part of this continental trouble excluding the arab countries in Africa. I don't believe their views but the fact that these different people can see these kind of traits is very troubling.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by tng(f): 11:32am On Jul 04, 2007
Denex, abeg no kill me with laugh.
@topic,
Denex,aisha2 and naijaway have said everything in my opinion.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 11:53am On Jul 04, 2007
Ill treatment of anyone anywhere is not deserved! u guys who are saying come back home do u think that if people had it better at home they would have left in the first place?
I can honestly tell u that on several occasions i have been treated far worse at home than abroad! and thats a fact.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 11:54am On Jul 04, 2007
@denex
are u not the same one who told us how u were harrassed at a bank for being orderly? where else in the world can that happen?
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2007
@angel101

Em, a Brazilian was shot only 7 times in his head by the UK police just for being a Brazilian on suspicion of having and expired visa.

And you haven't even heard the sad part yet. Turns out his documents were still intact.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4713753.stm
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2007
and ur point is? do u want me to tell u half of what is happening under ur nose? of which even u are a victim? oh Nigerian police dont shoot people for nothing.

I have said my bit I am treated far worse in nigeria than in the uk. u can say yours.

And just so u know, it was on suspicion of being a terrorist not for having an expired visa ok. enough of ur usual intrigues!
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by denex: 1:19pm On Jul 04, 2007
@angel101

I don't know why you're trying so hard to catch my attention. If its some kind of courtship thing, it won't get you anywhere.

You have been all up in my grill following all my posts, checking up on my profile, attacking my opinions, showing logical prowess at dissecting my posts. So I really have to ask, what do you want with me?

Take it easy and I hope you find what you seek, just as I hope it isn't me. Take care.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 1:49pm On Jul 04, 2007
U ke? only in ur dreams! u make me laugh. grin
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by ToToChoper: 1:38am On Jul 05, 2007
Abeg, make una comot for road, this place no be Koro.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by adconline(m): 5:48am On Jul 05, 2007
If you are tired of being a Nigerian, try being a muslim and tell me the difference
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by nguage(m): 6:19am On Jul 05, 2007
I actually plan to come home when i'm 25. If everybody comes home like me, another problem comes up. OVERPOPLATION
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by Bankole01(m): 6:18pm On Jul 05, 2007
Some of our people realy deserve being treated like animals.
On one of my travels to Nigeria, there was this guy at Armsterdam who wants to carry a bag big enough to put a cow in as hand luggage. The airline told him the bad is too big for hand luggage and they would check it for free. This bush boy refused to check the bag, saying he would put it on his lap!. They begged and begged for him to listen to reason but he refused. In the end some us listening to the drama yelled at him to check the bag and to stop delaying us!

Another on the plane wanted brandy from the flight attendant, so he started gusturing and pointing to his mouth, "I want hot, hot, hot, han, han," all the while pointing to his mouth. The perplexed attendant looked at him, not understanding what he wanted. In the end she turned to me and asked what he wanted. I then told the attendant that he wanted brandy.

You will see are people trying to drag luggage which could break a carmels back through the airport. they will be knocking down things and people, all the while speaking at the top of their voices in their language.

Having an American passport helps out in transit and you can go to any country without a visa. they will give you one at the airport, allmost effortlessly.

Our people lost respect for them selves. In Nigeria, you will see Nigerians almost kissing the butts of white people shamelessly. Even koras and called oyinbos.
Re: Ill Treatment Of Nigerians: Deserved Or Not? by angel101(f): 11:59am On Jul 09, 2007
U are sooo funny. i cant stop laughing!
most of what u have said is true but still does not mean we should be treated any less than other nationals. take flights to and from nigeria for instance. a flight is delayed and no compensation or incentive is offered to the passengers no explanations even in some cases. on the same flight, if there are other nationals they are treated better.
I'll give u an example. once i was travelling from lagos to london and the flight was delayed till the next morning and that was all the airline (virgin Atlantic) was saying. they just said 'we are sorry the flight has been delayed till tomorrow' and that was it. i had to go to the officials to ask what they advised me to do as i had become stranded thanks to them. after a lenghthy discussion, they put me in the meridian to stay till the next day. but tat was just myself and a handful of others. every other person was left to sort themselves out. Now tell me would that happen in another country? afterall i have been at the airport in london when the same airline has had their flight delayed and the same arrangement was made for every passenger.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Nigeria, A Haven For Hard Drugs - George Bush / Nigeria: Ministry Designs Software For Science Education. / Edo Election Tribunal Update..- Oshiomole in Osunbor out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.