Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 (4918 Views)

Lexus Rx 350 2010 Or Toyota Venza 2010 / Honda Civic 2004 or 05 Manual Transmission Needed Serious Buyer / Honda Pilot 2004 Or Volvo Xc90 2006, Which Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by TheVictim01(m): 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2020
kingreign:

First, pardon my error. I wouldn't have known if OP is a he or a she.

Second, that W203 series production was amongst the most unreliable Daimler Chrysler merger production. It was made from cheap plastics that broke, roofliner that sags, mbtex that later gets coarse. It's electrical are pesky and starting doom front SAM which will caus major components to deactivate. The rear SAM and driver's SAM too are not spared. Water ingress into the fuse box from the front gutter down to the SAM too. Failure of MFD and cluster, failure of Climate control compressor and also the milkshake of death which is caused by mixing of coolant and oil. Let's not also forget the legendary MAF and tbrottle pedal and throttle body malfunction. Move over to the 230Kompressor, the engine is fragile with its magnetic cam shaft sensors and weak single chain and weak tensioner that breaks to grenade the engine. We move to the C230 and c280 and c350 sports and luxury trims, the Intake manifold runner malfunction, the VGS malfunction that grenades the transmission. The engine that burns oil and pops a notification, 'add 1 qrt of oil'

The list is almost endless, but let's leave it as it is Biko.
Well, if you ain't a mechanic, you're definitely a savvy on automobiles. Plus as to the matter at hand, it's a C240, and it's a 2.5 liter V6, naturally aspirated not a C240 kompressor with a supercharger kit on it, plus it's a 1.8 and definitely not a good to my taste. The torque curve is usually non linear in power distribution along the Rev range and tend to zoom out ( no torque on higher rev) on the dyno. Ps: all you listed above holds true, but I don't think Op is gonna ride a corolla or C240 for eternity. grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by alphabbey1(m): 10:48am On Dec 26, 2020
TheVictim01:

In all honesty, take this from me. The C240 is the best choice you'll ever make b/w those two. C240 is more powerful, faster and bulletproof (Never put down a German for a japanese engineering). But surely, the corolla is more cheap to maintain than the C240, choosing the corolla you're at the expense of the German plush interior, safety and tech features, plus no camry in all years can boast you of performance (speed and handling), well except a v6 version.
You just gave OP the worst advice of the century. My dad uses Benz and I know the problem he faces. Problem of Benz no dey finish, jf that AC got damaged, infact, u'll be discouraged not to repair it again... And Benz and electrical issues are 5&6....

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:02am On Dec 26, 2020
kingreign:

Second, that W203 series production was amongst the most unreliable Daimler Chrysler merger production. It was made from cheap plastics that broke, roofliner that sags, mbtex that later gets coarse. It's electrical are pesky and starting doom front SAM which will caus major components to deactivate. The rear SAM and driver's SAM too are not spared. Water ingress into the fuse box from the front gutter down to the SAM too. Failure of MFD and cluster, failure of Climate control compressor and also the milkshake of death which is caused by mixing of coolant and oil. Let's not also forget the legendary MAF and tbrottle pedal and throttle body malfunction. Move over to the 230Kompressor, the engine is fragile with its magnetic cam shaft sensors and weak single chain and weak tensioner that breaks to grenade the engine. We move to the C230 and c280 and c350 sports and luxury trims, the Intake manifold runner malfunction, the VGS malfunction that grenades the transmission. The engine that burns oil and pops a notification, 'add 1 qrt of oil'

Impossible. Mercedes-Benz makes the most rugged and reliable cars in the world.

The Best or Nothing.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by conductor266: 12:51pm On Dec 26, 2020
Venoms001:
Please car experts help me to decide between these two, Mercedes Benz C240 2004 or Toyota Corolla 2005. Both are affordable. I need honest review without any sentiment. ( Both are Tokunbo)
At OP. The truth is that the Mercedes you want is a problematic shitbox. In fact nearly all the Mercedes produced around that year na wahala.

Your best bet is a Corolla. A Corolla is the most reliable thing you can buy in the world. Asides that, its a very discreet car. If you have a neatly washed Corolla, and you're a civil servant or dress nicely, nobody will know whether you're a politician or military personnel. The respect that comes with the car is something else.

The only problem is that you have to be guiding it like a jewel because of thieves. BTW if the Corolla is too bland for you, buy a Nigerian-used Toyota Camry 2008 for the same amount.
Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by TheVictim01(m): 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2020
alphabbey1:
You just gave OP the worst advice of the century. My dad uses Benz and I know the problem he faces. Problem of Benz no dey finish, jf that AC got damaged, infact, u'll be discouraged not to repair it again... And Benz and electrical issues are 5&6....
We both know that proper skills of maintainance vary individually. I'll resist the urge to shalaye!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by Commonsense101(m): 7:43pm On Dec 26, 2020
Sorry . . . A what and a Whaat ? ? cheesy.

If you're an inexperienced car owner . You're probbaly better off with the Corolla.
If you have a "Good" Mech and can afford a "Good" maintenance routine the C240 is a better buy by a long shot.
Nothing good comes cheap.

But most importantly buy a "Good Car" . the state of both options is of paramount importance.
A clean Corolla is better than an abused C240.
Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by lildush(m): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2020
Go for Corolla.. I currently use a Benz. And am getting pissed off on a daily basis. D AC is killing me. I fixed it to many times.. more dan I can remember. Its still not working. It has electrical issues. Sensors are mad. Mechanics are Chopin me weekly on sensor problem. Benz is strong duh. Am currently looking for a 2010 model corolla to buy.. so u OP u know what to do.. if u don't... Go for Corolla.. its for beginners..
Re: Mercedes Benz C240 2004 Or Toyota Corolla 2005 by Kokomo: 9:27pm On May 16, 2021
kingreign:

hmmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Good Mechanic Of Honda At Oyigbo. Any Known Please??? / Trading In My 2005 Lexus ES330 For A 2011 Honda Accord / How Much Does Lexus Gx470 ECU (brain Box) Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.