Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

COVID-19 Vaccine Is Ready For Next School Year - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 Vaccine Is Ready For Next School Year (110 Views)

Nurse Who Fainted On Live TV After Receiving Pfizer Vaccine Is Dead / Moderna's Coronavirus Vaccine Is 94.5% Effective, According To Company Data / Pfizer: COVID-19 Vaccine Is 90% Effective - Early Look Shows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Vaccine Is Ready For Next School Year by Valentina1987: 2:33am On Dec 19, 2020
As front-line workers across the country receive their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, clinical studies are underway involving kids.
Earlier this month, Moderna announced the first adolescent participants were given a dose. Their study includes adolescents ages 12 to 17.
“We are pleased to begin this Phase 2/3 study of mRNA-1273 in healthy adolescents in the U.S. Our goal is to generate data in the spring of 2021 that will support the use of mRNA-1273 in adolescents in advance of the 2021 school year,” said Stéphane Bancel, Chief Executive Officer of Moderna.
The company intends to enroll 3,000 adolescent participants.
In October, Pfizer shared the Food and Drug Administration reviewed an amendment to their Phase 3 clinical study to include adolescents from the ages of 12-15. Several sites are now enrolling participants between the ages of 12-15.
“We cannot comment or speculate when our pediatric trial plan will be finalized as it is dependent on the immunogenicity, efficacy, and safety data accumulated by the 12-15 year old groups,” said a spokesperson for Pfizer.
This is subject on the minds of parents already, including Stefanie Grieve. Her daughter is a 10-year-old IPS student.
“I like to stay hopeful and optimistic the trials for the children go well too,” she said.
Amanda Price, another IPS parent, does not feel comfortable with a vaccine right now. Her son is eight years old.
“I can’t ask my child and expect my child to do something that I am not going to do myself,” Price said. “There is a big question mark in my mind with the vaccine just because it was pushed through clinical trials so quickly.”
Pediatrician Dr. Tony GiaQuinta received his first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine earlier this week. He’s already getting questions about a vaccine for kids from families.
“If we can show that this vaccine can be given delivered safely and effectively to children to prevent coronavirus then they will have my full backing,” said Dr. GiaQuinta.
He said he’s hopeful a safe and effective vaccine will be available for kids by next school year.
According to data from the Marion County Public Health Department, people ages 19 and younger make up less than 2 percent of COVID-19 hospital visits as of Thursday. Even though kids are not getting as sick as older adults, Dr. GiaQuinta still stressed the importance of prevention.
“I am just as interested in a child’s mental health and emotional health when we are taking kids out of their activities,” he said.

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Begins Christmas Carnival, With Eyes On COVID-19 / One World Rental's / Nigerian Govt 'yet To Decide' On Flights Restrictions Amidst Threat Of Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.