Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

My Experience As A NECO Checker - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience As A NECO Checker (2958 Views)

What's The Limitation Of A NECO Certificate / My Teaching Experience As A Corper/pyschologist In A Public And Private School. / Waec/neco Checker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2020
I was informed by one of the seasoned markers in my neighborhood that NECO marking exercise has commenced. I left with him to the venue, a popular secondary school in my area. Upon getting there, I entered a Biology 1 class which I later learned was a big mistake.

I entered my name in the list of the gate crashers and we treated dummy for 2 days. On the second day, I was marking the dummy pretty well.
Actually, there isn't much to the dummy and the overall marking or checking exercise, dummies were only provided for the seasoned checkers not gate crashers like myself. But I was able to mark one because a good man gave one to me.

I was the youngest in the class though. cheesy
The biology 1 coordinator was older than my Dad and two of the markers were retired.

Before now, I already had a plan to either be a marker or a checker and this plan is courtesy of the fellow that brought me to the center.
On the second day which was the last day, the same day we were to finish treating the dummies and collect our parcels, I had with me my checker application letter with the necessary documents required. In my own case it was my BSc.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 3:04pm On Dec 19, 2020
I applied for the post of a checker.

But before then...

After treating the dummies we were asked to go to the collection center for parcel collection.
Among the seasoned checkers, myself and two other ladies were also gate crashers.

A dummy is an script given to markers to mark by NECO before any making exercise.

The markers have to go through it and mark it because a times, there are changes to the marking schemes.

A pack is a combination of scripts in one envelope.

A parcel is a combination of packs.

We got to the collection center and the two ladies who were gate crashers like myself were given parcel but when it got to my turn our coordinator said I couldn't collect a parcel. He said other seasoned checkers who were not around has not gotten, so I couldn't get one. He actually pleaded with me. Well I let it go and applied as a checker.

Among the markers who were present, only I and a particular man didn't get a parcel.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2020
After the application, I met some people I knew at the center.

I actually got to know that it's easier mark WAEC than NECO.

A lot of students apply for WAEC than NECO and besides, this year NECO started after WAEC was released. So fewer students than normal sat for NECO.

I studied biochemistry. I could mark both biology and chemistry and this is not just by the virtue of the course I studied though. It's what I can do.

I was told Chemistry had I, II, III in the center and I have a higher chance of marking chemistry scripts.

Chemistry is harder than Biology and this is why.

In fact to be a marker just go for the harder subjects such as Further Mathematics, Physics, Mathematics etc.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 3:22pm On Dec 19, 2020
Now to the real experience.

I was texted to come for the checkers interview.

It was on a Sunday by 12. I got there and the venue coordinator addressed us.

We were upto 30 and the man told us not everyone will be selected. We were given packs to check to measure our competency, this was after we were educated on how to go about it.

We were told the selected candidates would be contacted via text message the following day.

I didn't get a message though. On the third day of the checking exercise I was called on phone to come for checking.
Apparently, I was selected but the message didn't deliver on my phone until my last day of checking.

When I reported at the center, I noticed others started work 2 days earlier and my name was on the list.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 3:33pm On Dec 19, 2020
I started work and I got a shocker.

While others were on their 3 parcels, I was still on my first. I was even told by one of the officials that I was slowing down. But that's not the shocker, the shocker is we were not checking properly.

The only way to be fast was to check improperly.

Check if the total on the script matches the total on the mark sheet and move to the next one.

Very fast and very inaccurate.

What if there is an addition, transfer, subtraction or rubric error in the script? We just checked the total and moved to the next one.

Our superior were very pleased with this. In fact, one of them was with us there and he didn't even seem to care about how you're checking. Just mark the score sheet and go fast and you're his friend.

Another thing was how this man tells us 1 or 2 mark difference is inconsequential.
You tell him there is a difference of less than 4 marks and he'll just wave it off.

This people were payed to do things proper but they ended up doing a great disservice to the students.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by osamz007: 3:44pm On Dec 19, 2020
SUCH A PITY NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OUT OF NIGERIA
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by dat9jaguy(m): 4:06pm On Dec 19, 2020
It's very hard changing the system but on your own, make sure you do the right thing.

No matter how small you think your contribution is, just do the right thing. Gradually we would build a country of our dreams.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by femi4: 4:30pm On Dec 19, 2020
As a checker, a marker once recoded 06 as 60 for a student and vice versa
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 4:41pm On Dec 19, 2020
femi4:
As a checker, a marker once recoded 06 as 60 for a student and vice versa

Errors like these are things a checker might not detect if he's checking upto 3,600 scripts in a day.

People checked upto 4,000 scripts in a day in my center.

That's not checking, it's something else.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by TimmyA: 4:49pm On Dec 19, 2020
Checking in WAEC is a bit thorough
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Uyi168: 7:10pm On Dec 19, 2020
Smh..
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by legendEMT(m): 7:16pm On Dec 19, 2020
Bro, kudos for not been lazy but up and doing. I have been a marker before and as a biochemist, you are more fit to mark chemistry infact you are a biological chemist. The bio there is just a qualifier to show you where you belong in chemistry.
Nigeria is totally a mess, I mean mess. Scripts from the North were sent to south west and one could not even read any sensible thing on those scripts and we were asked to pass them.
As a matter of fact, you will notice that they write the same thing all through and yet you can't label it as malpractice.
I doubt if corruption would ever be wiped out completely from Nigeria because it is in all sectors

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by hellohgy(m): 8:45pm On Dec 19, 2020
How much were u paid per day for the Checking
Here I tink it is 1000 naira per day or so?
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Karleb(m): 8:52pm On Dec 19, 2020
hellohgy:
How much were u paid per day for the Checking

Here I tink it is 1000 naira per day or so?

1,100 per day.

I heard WAEC pays 900.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by pek(m): 8:58pm On Dec 19, 2020
Reminds me of my first checking experience in Kaduna in 1995. I was an undergraduate then and had gone to Kaduna for holiday. Checking then was thorough. I was lucky to check some scripts which related to my course. I saw some discrepancies in the marking and pointed it out to the supervisor. He was impressed with me and he engaged me in chitchat whenever we were on break. Two days to the end of the exercise, he called me and handed a parcel to me to go and mark. That the original marker was slow. I did a good job and earned extra for the marking too. A good experience for me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Digitalwitch: 9:01pm On Dec 19, 2020
TimmyA:
Checking in WAEC is a bit thorough
It depend on your center and the person in charge
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by dunsin125: 10:39pm On Dec 19, 2020
Karleb:
Now to the real experience.

I was texted to come for the checkers interview.

It was on a Sunday by 12. I got there and the venue coordinator addressed us.

We were upto 30 and the man told us not everyone will be selected. We were given packs to check to measure our competency, this was after we were educated on how to go about it.

We were told the selected candidates would be contacted via text message the following day.

I didn't get a message though. On the third day of the checking exercise I was called on phone to come for checking.
Apparently, I was selected but the message didn't deliver on my phone until my last day of checking.

When I reported at the center, I noticed others started work 2 days earlier and my name was on the list.

When likely will the result be released
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Mrshape: 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2020
Is maths still #20 per script?

The pay is not encouraging.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by NobleSeed(m): 2:58am On Dec 20, 2020
This pathetic men!!! Exam way person use money and time Write for this hot period
Chail!!! Anyway success to all the neco candidate.... Neco itself na bleep up exam, could you imagine them never still write chemistry and econs.. And they are marking scripts.
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Lamasta(m): 3:14am On Dec 20, 2020
OP am not surprised at your experience it has become a norm not to do things in the right way in this country and if you make concrete effort to do things right, you will be labelled an opposition...
Re: My Experience As A NECO Checker by Dayoebe(m): 12:16am On Dec 21, 2020
Mrshape:
Is maths still #20 per script?

The pay is not encouraging.
This is not good at all.

Education ministry is one of the worst in this country. Am not sure the minister of education is aware ASUU has been on strike since March 9

(1) (Reply)

Hnd Admission @osun State Polytechnic,iree. / Closed / Iuma University Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.