Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Game Developers Corner - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Developers Corner (1336 Views)

A Call To Game Developers! / How To Make Circular Imageview And Rounded Corner Imageview In Android / Microcontroller Programming Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Game Developers Corner by worldbest(m): 10:29pm On Jun 30, 2007
Naija gurus.I think its time we step up our game in IT.I have so much interest in game development thats while i opened this thread for those who are also in the perspective as mine.Let us creat an industry for game.I urge u guys to use this method to share ideas on everything bout gaming.
Re: Game Developers Corner by geebengs(m): 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2007
hello worldbest. I totally agree with you. I'm into game programming. It'll be nice if game programmers on niraland can come together to share ideas. Are u a game programmer? Holla.
Re: Game Developers Corner by javalord: 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2007
I'm with you guys, i write java programs. i also love game programming
Re: Game Developers Corner by bankykenn: 6:56pm On Jul 15, 2007
Yo Son nice idea. Good innovation as well. I am interested as well. I just finished a Banking System as my project for last Semester. It's games programming this semester. Wouldn't mind hooking up a little programs with you all. I'm presently in South Africa studying but I don't see that as a biggy. I have a broad mind of VB.Net, C++. Can anyone help with PHP? Holla.
Re: Game Developers Corner by princetaab: 10:06am On Jul 17, 2007
Re: Game Developers Corner by DCorleone: 9:24pm On Aug 05, 2007
I've been interested in game programming and design for a long time but don't know how to start learning or the tools to use for that. Any ideas?
Re: Game Developers Corner by Seun(m): 5:42am On Aug 06, 2007
All young programmers are interested in game development. As a hobby, it's fine, but as a business, it's not!
Re: Game Developers Corner by rock2(m): 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2007
You are right seun.

What currently sells in Nigeria is them database applications

I'll advise anyone who want to make money from games in Nigeria to focus on Flash/Online games.
Re: Game Developers Corner by worldbest(m): 12:29am On Aug 08, 2007
Quite alright.I Nigeria its not gamin that is the main.But doesnt mean u cant earn from gaming while in Nigeria,u can make u great game and make deals with publishers if your game is worth been seen.So,i urge u guys to stop discouraging those interested.Instead you guys can encourage them.
Re: Game Developers Corner by worldbest(m): 12:45am On Aug 08, 2007
Yes!For those interested in gaming,i advice u learn a language cus without that you wont go far.So of the favorite lang are c#,vb,perl,python,java,c++.If you have learnt one of this lang.What you need is a game engine to make coding easier and faster for you.I hav been studing a particular engine for sometime and i find it really productive.It is called TRUEVISION3D SDK.The sdk can be downloaded from www.Truevision3d.Com.You should try d community and veiw screenshots,u wil b amazed.Have fun
Re: Game Developers Corner by gacheezo(m): 11:13am On Sep 12, 2007
game programing is time consuming and require a pc with exceptional features if you are in naija there is an added requirement power supply is it wise to invest in
Re: Game Developers Corner by hexgear(m): 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2007
If you want to go into game development fulltime (as in make enough money to sustain yourself and your family) then you have to play on the same level as the big boys, (i.e. Valve, Rare, Epic, Rockstar etc) which means a big and capable team, lots of capital, a great game and getting that game into at least the top 3 gaming markets; America, Europe and Asia via a multinational publisher. Nigeria on the other hand has a virtually non-existent market which has no hope of building up until more homes can afford decent computers.

On the other hand, if you want to make games as a hobby, or make a little something on the sideline as an Independent developer while you still keep your day job then there's hope through online distribution. Online distribution encompasses both online games and downloadable games, both are typically small in size and don't necessarily require powerful computers to create. All you have to do is create an addictive, fun and innovative game, hook up with a reliable online publisher/distributor and setup some kind of channel like pay pal to reap the returns. The good thing about this model is you have exclusive access to a much bigger market; all you have to do is get your game known.

$0.02
Re: Game Developers Corner by chrono: 1:14am On Sep 13, 2007
I'm also interested in game programming just like everyone else, but the thing is not everyone can be a game programmer because as I read some of the articles from the game website that to be a game programmer you have to take extra miles. You must have alot of potential such as creative, adaptable, and smart especially in programming. As you can see not everyone has that kind of qualifications. So now I'm asking all the expert out there who is already in the field, is that true? Also what does it take to be a game programmer? Do you have to take all of math and programming courses, and practice coding every day? if that's the case then it's scary smiley
Re: Game Developers Corner by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 13, 2007
Game developing is not easy. Alot goes into making really marketable games, except you just want to do it for fun. Getting a job in game developing companies isn't even these days.
As you already know, you need a team. These days you need to come up with original ideas. your team should have a good artist (graphics matters), good sound, u need an AI programmer, a good engine etc,
Or else you'll have to come up with an innovative puzzle type game.
I am into game programming. But only for fun(with my spare time).

(1) (Reply)

Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship / The Best Software To Develop Multiple Choice EXAM Question / Assistance Plssssss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.