Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Think Like A Computer Scientist - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Think Like A Computer Scientist (1468 Views)

If You Were Imprisoned In A Room For 3 Months, Had A Computer With Internet..... / How To Get Featured On The App Store - You Have To Think Like Apple / Don't Just Learn To Code, Learn How To Think Like A Comp Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Think Like A Computer Scientist by eazyd(m): 3:12pm On Mar 13, 2012
I found this very useful programming book for starters like me.. its quite easy to read and understand compared to other books for beginners. It focuses on Python but i hear there is a Java edition out there. The book is called-

"Thinking Like a Computer Scientist for Python".

You can easily download it from the internet or i can send a copy to you via email.

I'm into this race to finish, what about you?
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by kodewrita(m): 6:48am On Mar 14, 2012
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by eazyd(m): 1:27pm On Mar 14, 2012
kodewrita: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/thinkCSpy.pdf click that to get the book.

Thanks for the link...a copy was sent to my email by a friend so now i can easily share this link with ppl who r interested.
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by Fayimora(m): 1:33am On Mar 15, 2012
Note that the name of the book is a wild joke
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by g1da: 10:40am On Mar 15, 2012
pls can u send it to my mail... i cant get to download it atm :: mike_folz87@yahoo.com
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by kodewrita(m): 12:42pm On Mar 15, 2012
Fayimora: Note that the name of the book is a wild joke

Its not a joke. It teaches basic computer science concepts like data structures, recursion, oop etc. its a gentle introduction.
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by eazyd(m): 2:54pm On Mar 15, 2012
how can you call it a wild joke-- rome wasn't built in a day but im sure on the first day it was called rome.
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by Nobody: 3:55am On Mar 16, 2012
I agree with Fayimora to some extent that it doesn't really make you think like a 'Computer Scientist' in a nutshell as the title of the book suggested.In other words, there haven't be enough ideas on computer science in a broader perspective but on programming(which the author exaggerated with the title) to qualify that piece of writing into what seems to be a portrayal of Python programming at a glance. Yes, I first saw that writing about 2 to 3 years ago(if I can still recall).However, the author approach is recommendable for a start in the right direction, in Python programming, but lacks detailed explanations. Perhaps, he wanted his readers to be practically involved which is always the right approach, although, as rudimentary as it may look.

There are actually better pieces of written works on Computer sciences out there. Then, there is nothing wrong reading this one for a start. It doesn't in the closest sense make one thinks like a computer scientist yet as an analytic programming individual, therefore giving you room to how different programs are related in many ways.
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by Fayimora(m): 5:18am On Mar 16, 2012
Thanks for clarifying that @all4naija. I can't remember which version but the author also says something like that. The topic IS a wild joke. Anyone who has done a fair amount of programming should see that from scanning a few chapters
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by eazyd(m): 1:44pm On Mar 16, 2012
well i quite understand what you mean now but as a starter i've got 2 books on programming which is based on python but this book n particular is more guided and self explanatory to a point. After python,java next!
Re: Think Like A Computer Scientist by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 16, 2012
If you are looking for a more practical book, try Exploring python...

(1) (Reply)

Which Course Would You Pick? / Update Statement Problem In Vb.net / My OST Data Showing Inaccessible Errors, What To Do With This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.