Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:35 PM

Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? (268 Views)

I Found This Rare Insect In My Compound And It Costs 10k Dollars (pics) / After Watching This Video You Will Never Use Skineal Or Funbact A Again / How To Correct The Darkening Tv Screen While Watching With A Gotv Decoder. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? by Tonymario58: 7:08pm On Dec 21, 2020
As Earth’s Northern Hemisphere hunkers down for winter and its longest night of the year, it seems Jupiter and Saturn have decided to put on quite an unusual show for the world to see!

The two largest planets in our solar system will nearly overlap to form a “double planet,” an event that hasn’t been easily visible since the Middle Ages—almost 800 years ago. Today’s animated Doodle celebrates the Northern Hemisphere’s first day of winter as well as this rare double planet sighting–or “Great Conjunction”–which can be viewed from anywhere around the globe!

So what exactly is creating this celestial phenomenon?
Based on their orbits, from our vantage point on Earth, Jupiter and Saturn will cross within .1 degrees of each other (a fraction of the width of the full moon), a once-in-a-lifetime rendezvous recreated in the Doodle artwork. But looks can be deceiving, as the two gas giants will actually remain a vast distance of approximately 450 million miles apart!

Make sure you look out low above the horizon tonight and take in this momentous meet-and-greet between Jupiter and Saturn–it’s sure to be out of this world!

Interested in watching the “Great Conjunction” on the longest night of the year?

• Find a spot with an unobstructed view of the sky, such as a field or park.

• An hour after sunset, Jupiter will look like a bright star and be easily visible in the southwestern sky. Saturn will be slightly fainter and will appear slightly above and to the left of Jupiter until December 21, when Jupiter will overtake it and they will reverse positions in the sky.

• Feel free to use binoculars, but the planets can still be seen with the unaided eye.

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-winter-2020-and-the-great-conjunction-northern-hemisphere

I'm observing the event now.

Re: Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2020
I remember this event so I rushed outside. I have not seen anything yet. What time should we expect this occurrence; midnight?
Re: Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? by duro4chang(m): 7:41pm On Dec 21, 2020
Nothing
Re: Who Else Is Watching This Rare Celestial Event? by illicit(m): 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2020
Na only sky I see for here....

(1) (Reply)

Myobrace Appliance Taking An Edge Over Conventional Orthodontics / Nigerian Newspapers: Top 10 Headlines Thurs, Dec 24th, 2020 / 4 Countries Already In The New Year 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.