Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,488 members, 7,826,839 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja (1248 Views)

4 Bedroom Detached House + 1rm Gatehouse In Asaba N20m / 3 Bedroom Bungalow At Efab Estate Lokogoma Abuja With Gatehouse And BQ Space / Submit Your Bid For A Fence Construction In Ibeshe, Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 12:01am On Dec 22, 2020
Earlier this Month we started construction works for a Nairalander in Abuja, to erect a boys quarter, gatehouse and fence his property.

We started by visiting the quarry to buy crushed stones (coarse aggregates for the job).
I had already provided my client with a detailed quotation for the proposed projects.

I will show a sample of the BOQ at the end of this thread, so continue reading and enjoy.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 9:08am On Dec 22, 2020
The next step was setting out and excavation for the boys quarter, gatehouse and fence.

I observed that diggers in Abj aren't very skilled atleast the ones I met. Also, I had problems communicating with them as my Hausa's been on a gradual decline since the end my NYSC service in Sokoto.

After they were done digging, I got one of them that's good to carry out levelling and ramming in the trenches. We cut some high points and filled some low points/regions with chippings just as done in road construction. I prefer doing this even though it costs a little money and takes quiet some time depending on the project size. I've found from experience that it saves a lot of money for my client reducing the volume of concrete that would have been used in the strip(blinding in the local parlance) foundation. Second, it makes the work of the bricklayers (masons) easier when the block work starts which also translates to cost savings for my clients.

I had the iron fitter cut short rods which I used as pegs in the trenches to establish a plumb level for a uniform concrete thickness and finish.
Re: Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 9:21am On Dec 22, 2020
The block work was a day's work. We had a very sharp sand supplied from somewhere along Abj-Kaduna called Jere. My guy found it difficult to work with as it has absolutely no plasticity about it. The local guy worked industriously as he's used to working with it. At the end I observed my guy got a lesser number of blocks laid per bag of cement and the local guy laid even far lesser blocks per bag of cement used. This was due to a significant portion of the mortar being lost as waste while trying to establish plumb, straight and true. The sand was really good for concrete works.

Another good thing about the Jere sand is that it sets and hardens really fast thanks to the hot and dry Abj weather. I think this makes the north suitable for sun-drying as a preservation method unlike the south that's hot and humid.

Second, the sandcrete hollow blocks in Abj are superb. I found they use crushed rock dust (Dust 2) to mold them. I think they will have impressive crushing strength if put under the universal testing machine. However, they are quite rough externally and we had to get machete to cut the I's, O's and C's where needed.

1 Share

Re: Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 9:51am On Dec 22, 2020
The carpenter shuttered (boarded) the stud columns the next day; we had concrete placed inside and started backfilling and earth filling.

After the fill was water and compacted, about half of 40kg waterproof material was laid over the fill and the blocks before the hardcore came in.

The carpenter boarded the sides and concreting begun.

The fence wall was being worked on concurrently with the boys quarter.

1 Share

Re: Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 10:03am On Dec 22, 2020
The boys quarter has two bedrooms, a living room, kitchen and a bar: a pool will be constructed beside the BQ. Each of the rooms is en-suite.

We had the layout formed, ensuring the blocks are plumb, straight & true, and the masons took it up from there.

1 Share

Re: Cost Of Boys Quarter, Gatehouse & Fence Construction In Abuja by Analyst01(m): 10:20am On Dec 22, 2020
Finally, on the cost I will share a template of what is content of the boys quarter quotation.

The contents are
1. Setting Out,
2. Substructure/foundation
3. Blockwall/columns/Lintels
4. Roof beam & Parapet
5. Roof timber & Roofing sheets
etc

Disclaimer: The sample below is not for the project whose pictures I've described above.

Do you need a cost estimate for your project, complete Building, foundation, blockwall, fencing, concrete works, roofing, culvert, retaining wall etc; reach me on

frankitangltd@gmail.com

Cheers! grin grin grin

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Spacious 4 Bedroom Semi Detached Duplex At Abijo Lekki Lagos, / Best Area With Stable Electricity In Ibadan / Lush Gardens Estate Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.