Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Cake School - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cake School (874 Views)

See How I Made My Super Delicious Banana Cake. (Pictures) / A Lady Ordered For A Superhero Cake And Got This (Photos) / The Cake Design A Man Ordered Vs What He Received (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 9:51am On Dec 24, 2020
Good morning everyone am Miss Ajoke I'll be sharing some caking baking recipes and tips on this Channel. If you're online and interested in the class use this symbol grin grin grin grin. Class will start once I start seeing response from people.

1 Like

Re: Cake School by kinah(f): 10:25am On Dec 24, 2020
grin grin grin grin
Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 10:28am On Dec 24, 2020
You're welcome to the class @miss kinah
Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 10:40am On Dec 24, 2020
NECESSARY BAKING INGREDIENTS & FUNCTION

A Breakdown do you know the difference between Baking Powder and Baking Soda? Or what an egg white can do that an egg yolk can't in your recipes? It's good to know what the ingredients you're using in your everyday life do to make your baked goods sweet and delicious!

BAKING POWDER
Made from Cream of tartar and starch, baking powder is a leavening agent, which causes your batter to rise. It has a built-in acidic ingredient, so you don’t need to add anything else (unlike with baking soda). Too much baking powder results in a bitter tasting product, while too little results in a tough cake with little volume.

BAKING SODA
Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate, and needs to be paired with an acidic ingredient like honey, chocolate, or yogurt. Like baking powder, it's a leavening agent. Use too much, and you'll have a soapy, coarse cake.

BUTTER
As a solid fat, butter is better suited for baking than any other fat product. Butter in particular adds flavour, with a melting point just below body temperature, which is why some cookies and baked goods tend to melt in your mouth. It also helps in leavening and adds moisture.

CORNSTARCH
This ingredient has multiple purposes depending on the type of dish it's being used in. Cornstarch is usually either a thickener or a binder, but can also be an anti-caking agent. It's great to use in gluten-free cooking instead of flour to thicken sauces, custards, or cake fillings.

EGGS
Eggs do a lot in baking, but most importantly they're a leavening agent (adding volume), and are a binder, meaning they keep the finished product together. You can use the whole egg, for flavour, binding, thickening, or glazing, or you can use egg whites and egg yolks for separate things. Egg whites are a drying agent, and add moisture and stability. Egg yolks contribute to texture and flavour.

FLOUR
Flour holds ingredients together in baking. When flour protein is combined with moisture and heat, it develops into gluten. Different types of flours have different levels of protein, which are suitable for various baked goods.

MILK
The protein in milk softens, contributes moisture, and adds colour and flavour to baked goods. It's a double-whammy in terms of function, as it gives the dough or batter strength and structure, as well as adds tenderness, flavour and moisture.

SALT
Salt does a couple different things in baking. For one, it helps preserve the colour and flavour of flour. In bread, it controls of the fermentation rate of yeast, and strengthens the gluten protein in dough. Though it seems salt is out of place in sweet recipes, if you skip it, your product will taste very bland, as it also enhances flavour.

SHORTENING
Shortening is just 100%, solid fat made from vegetable oils, almost exclusively used in baking. When you use shortening instead of butter in baking, you'll get a softer and more tender, though taller and less flavourful, product.

SUGAR
In any given recipe, sugar is performing a number of functions you're probably not aware of. For one, it adds texture, like keeping your baked foods soft and moist. It is also yet
another leavener, though working in conjunction with fat, eggs, and liquid ingredients. Sugar sweetens by the sugar caramelizing in the recipe, and adds that crunch to the crusts of cakes and cookies.

MISSYAJOKE

Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 10:49am On Dec 24, 2020
I'll proceed to the types of flour and how to make them.

Types of Flour.

1. All purpose flour is one of the most commonly used types of flour and its the most easily available and affordable in our Nigerian market.
2. Bread Flour: is made entirely from hard wheat,the larger amount of gluten generated by his higher protein flour helps bread to rise higher, Bread flour is the best choice for yeasted baking products, such as bread.
3. Cake flour: It’s made from soft wheat and is much finer than all-purpose flour. The main difference between the two is the protein content, cake flour usually has about 7-9% and all-purpose flour can have anywhere from 10-12%.
The lower protein content means that it forms less gluten as you’re mixing everything together, which results in a softer and lighter texture. This makes it perfect for recipes where you want a lighter texture, like with cakes and cupcakes.
4. Pastry flour: Is made from soft wheat,which make it finer than all purpose flour, but it t is not readily available in Nigerian market.
5. Whole wheat flour: Is higher than white flour in nutrients and dietary fibre, it is also more absorbent than dietary fibre.
6. White whole wheat flour: It tastes slightly sweeter than traditional whole wheat thanks to its lower tannin content.
Despite the difference in look and taste, whole wheat and white whole wheat flours have the same nutritional value.
7. Oat Flour: It is made from ground oats,it is gluten free and therefore perfect for people on a gluten free diet.
8. Self rising Flour: Is a combination of all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.

1 Like

Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 10:49am On Dec 24, 2020
Merry Christmas everyone and May the Death of Christ not be in vain over our lives Amen.

1 Like

Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 7:09am On Dec 25, 2020
Piping Tips and their respective nozzles

2 Likes

Re: Cake School by Missyajoke(f): 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2020
Piping Techniques

Re: Cake School by janes13: 10:31pm On Feb 08, 2021
Definitely interested, I loooove cakes! grin grin grin I'd be great if you'd do videos or tutorials. You'll have more people interested, I can guarantee you. These days I've been craving cheesecake like crazy! I'd suggest you provide us a good recipe for it because all of my favorites sweatshops are closed due to the pandemic! And again, given the pandemic, I can't risk buying food from there... you never know how clean they are, if they wear masks, gloves, and so on. I'm a little bit scared not to get infected so I chose to make it myself cheesy I've already seen some cheesecake recipes on the internet, but I'm interested in your tips&tricks cheesy I love the classic recipe anyway, with raspberries, mmm, yummy! I can't wait to make a big cheesecake and then to complain I'm fat, hahaha!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Different Types Of People In The Kitchen / Affordable Charcoal Stoves for Cooking - Alternative To Gas.. / Beautify Your Kitchen With These Lovely Stickers And Wall Quote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.