Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting (13687 Views)

Former UK Prime Minister, David Cameron Becomes UK Foreign Secretary / South African Man Enjoys Cake While Looting A Supermarket On Free Zuma Protest / Zuma Protest: South Africans Are Taking Looting To Next Level (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 6:52am On Dec 26, 2020
By Emma Elekwa, Onitsha
The United Kingdom has distanced itself from the alleged financial looting levelled against a former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, by a member of its parliament, Tom Tugendhat.

The action followed a petition to the British Parliament by a group, Igbo for a Progressive Nigeria (IPAN), demanding details about the allegation.

Tugendhat had during the Westminster Hall debate on November 23, accused Gowon of looting half of the Central Bank of Nigeria while he (Gowon) held sway.

According to Tugendhat, “Some people will remember when General Gowon left Nigeria with half of the Central Bank, so it is said, and moved to London.”

Replying IPAN’s petition in a letter dated December 21 and signed by a member of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Nigeria Unit, one Angela disclosed that Tom Tugendhat made the statement in his own personal capacity, and not for the British Parliament or United Kingdom.

Angela said: “Thank you for your email of 29 November to the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office about the debate on Nigeria.

I am replying as a member of the FCDO Nigeria Unit. I recognise there is concern about the comments made by Tom Tugendhat MP about former Nigerian Head of State, General Gowon, during the Westminster Hall debate on 23 November.

“I would like to clarify that Mr Tugendhat was speaking in a personal capacity and not on behalf of the UK Government.

“The High Commissioner has written to the Nigerian Foreign Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, as well as to General Gowon, to reiterate this point. Yours Sincerely, Angela.”

But the National President of IPAN, Lawrence Onuzulike, in the petition made available to our correspondent, demanded the proof of the allegation against the former Head of State, threatening to drag them to court over character defamation.

Onuzulike’s petition partly reads: ” I am writing on behalf of millions of patriotic Nigerians to voice our concerns on a pronouncement made by the British parliament.

“We are made to believe, from information on your website, that we should get a response to this letter within 20 days.

“Recently, at the UK parliament committee debate on a petition on the Nigeria’s #EndSARS crisis, Tom Tugendhat, a member of the United Kingdom Parliament, had accused Yakubu Gowon – a former Nigerian military head of state who ruled Nigeria from 1966 to 1975 – of looting half of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

“Back home, millions of Nigerians are taking this allegation very seriously, and for that, we’re calling for a proof. We, Nigerians, are seeking a proof of the allegation that Mr Gowon looted half of the Nigeria’s Central Bank because we want to hold him accountable.

“In a case where there’s no proof, then we ask that Mr Tom Tugendhat immediately offer unreserved apology to both Nigeria and Nigerians.

“We, Nigerians, have passed through a lot in the past few months and the least we need at the moment are inciting statements and words that cause division.

“I hope to get a response soon which I’ll diligently pass back to Nigerians who knew of this my letter of complaint to the British Parliament.”
https://thenationonlineng.net/uk-dissociates-self-from-gowons-alleged-lootin/

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by saheedbadmus(m): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2020
Hmmm
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by angelEmade: 7:08am On Dec 26, 2020
the poster above me...wetin dey sup na

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Upton: 7:19am On Dec 26, 2020
Wahala. Some people will just form a group, sit down in a beer parlour and claim to be writing on behalf of millions of Nigerians.

CSTRR:

But they did the right thing.
Corruption is serious.

If true, Gowon should be held accountable, and if untrue, UK should tender an apology.

If your parents had done that in their time, NIgeria would not be a corruption hive it is today.
Why didn't your own parents do it in their time? Or they loved the corruption?

Besides I deliberately didn't comment on the topic of the thread. I only chose to talk about the group claiming to write "on behalf of millions of Nigerians" when it is actually just few people that decided among themselves to write. This isn't the first time we are seeing such a thing, even unions that are politically motivated claim they do whatever they do "on behalf of millions of Nigerians". That's how a group of less than 30 people claimed to be protesting on behalf of the indigenous people of Abuja during the end SARS protest

22 Likes

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Neddstark: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2020
The Overzealous Tugendhat should come and tell us how a head of state who was just deposed will transfer half of his country's central bank money to a bank in the UK. Even Idi Amin was fed and catered by the Saudi government after he was deposed.
However I don't blame Tom Tugendhat. It is the silly Nigerians who are inclined to believe that the source of their problems is everyone that has ever led the country. If una like, make una no hustle.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by oz4real83(m): 7:24am On Dec 26, 2020
Whether UK associate or dissociate themselves from the allegation or not, what we know is that all past and present Nigerian leaders are thieves irrespective of party, religion or ethnic group.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2020
Meow meow.

I don talk am before, nobody wanna TRULY get associated with this geographical contraption.

Na to day observe Nigeria from afar sure pass.

1 Like

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2020
UK dey fear Yakubu?
grin
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2020
Tugendhat had during the Westminster Hall debate on November 23, accused Gowon of looting half of the Central Bank of Nigeria while he (Gowon) held sway.

According to Tugendhat, “Some people will remember when General Gowon left Nigeria with half of the Central Bank, so it is said, and moved to London.”

Like seriously?! shocked

“I would like to clarify that Mr Tugendhat was speaking in a personal capacity and not on behalf of the UK Government.

Oh it's now clarified.
Okay!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by naijadrivablog: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2020
Seeing a crime and not talking is being an accomplice to it.

NwaAmaikpe 1920.
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by MrTee28(m): 8:04am On Dec 26, 2020
This allegation might be true or it might be false.
I think this should be thoroughly investigated.

NB: This scammer called me, that his dad, an old man mistakenly sent airtime worth #4000 to me and that I should forward the recharge card PIN back to him. I asked him if the message was not saved on his phone.He couldn't give a satisfactory reply. I called him a scammer - because I knew this format. He began insulting me and then ended the call.

Please Nairalander's let's show him some love before some one else falls for his trick; I heard they are usually diabolic.

Here is the number: 08160126703

7 Likes

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Emaxwell(m): 8:05am On Dec 26, 2020
The truth is that Gowon looted but the guy will have to source for the right info since the UK govt has distanced it self from the allegations undecided
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Dsourcee(m): 8:05am On Dec 26, 2020
Useless people
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by lexy2014: 8:06am On Dec 26, 2020
Neddstark:
The Overzealous Tugendhat should come and tell us how a head of state who was just deposed will transfer half of his country's central bank money to a bank in the UK. Even Idi Amin was fed and catered by the Saudi government after he was deposed.
However I don't blame Tom Tugendhat. It is the silly Nigerians who are inclined to believe that the source of their problems is everyone that has ever led the country. If una like, make una no hustle.

So u mean Nigerians aren't hustling and that u are part of those not hustling?

3 Likes

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by slawormiir: 8:06am On Dec 26, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Even the uk na criminals

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 26, 2020
IF these people started looting from INFANCY, that means NIGERIA must have been a wealthy Nation
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by od501: 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
Neddstark:

And have they proven us otherwise?

1 Like

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by MrBONE2(m): 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
grin
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by optimusprime2(m): 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
EVILFOREST:
IF these people started looting from INFANCY, that means NIGERIA must have been a wealthy Nation
Correction, is still a very wealthy nation...

For instance, only a very wealthy nation can comfortably sustain the salary budget of the legislature applicable in Nigeria for over 20yrs and not be in perpetual recession especially during Pandemics...
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Eriokanmi: 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
They'd always use southerners against themselves. By tempting them with money. Money, whyyyy! Who didn't know the role played by gowon in biafra war? It's funny to note that the Best person to be in this so called petition picture would he an igboman. All na politics.

Why was a northern group or an individual not channeling this petition instead? We should all know that, the oyinbo who made that statement had nothing evil whatsoever against Nigeria. They always have facts before speaking without any ulterior motive or personal interest. They're not sycophants.

3 Likes

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by CoolAndGreat: 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by YourBest56: 8:08am On Dec 26, 2020
Nawa
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by careytommy37(m): 8:08am On Dec 26, 2020
undecided
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Emaxwell(m): 8:08am On Dec 26, 2020
Neddstark:

You are part of the people enjoying national cake grin
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by CocoaOla: 8:08am On Dec 26, 2020
Which uk foreign offices liers trying hard to cover up their greed you can't cover up your death that sure 90 year maximum do good
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 26, 2020
a big part of Nigeria problem, the country that see Nigeria as a business center. For them, foolish people loot the money and bring to Uk let's use it to develop our country.

1 Like

Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by BarrElChapo(m): 8:09am On Dec 26, 2020
It's the truth na
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 26, 2020
grin
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Obagreatdatoye(m): 8:11am On Dec 26, 2020
Why must day....the truth has been revealed....
get nice logo, banner and flyer design for your business get my contact from my signature
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 26, 2020
Neddstark:

If Idi Amin hid his money in Saudi, he would have enjoyed it. But in Uk or America who wanted him. It's not possible.
Re: UK Foreign Office Dissociates UK From Gowon’s Alleged Looting by Franchise21(m): 8:11am On Dec 26, 2020
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

British Cargo Vessel Attacked In Red Sea / Photos From 2017 General Elections In Kenya / Picture Of The Day! Arab Muslim refugee hypocrisy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.