Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / . (2475 Views)

Imo, Anambra And Delta leads in students studying Engineering, Medicine and Law / Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering? / Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by atom080: 1:32pm On Dec 27, 2020
Re: . by atom080: 1:33pm On Dec 27, 2020
lalasticlacla
Re: . by atom080: 1:42pm On Dec 27, 2020
richiez , fynestboi
Re: . by NwaAmaikpe: 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
shocked

I've read your timeline of academic misfortune and it is apparent that the forces are working against you.

Right now, I'd advice you not to run after a Medicine or an Engineering degree...run after wisdom because you truly need it.

If you had just a little of it in 2018 when you had the prerequisites to be admitted into a Nigerian University; you'd have been preparing for your industrial training today.

But you have boxed your options; it must be UI for you.
I had a relative in the late 80s who suffered the same U.I (Ultimate Ignorance) syndrome...many years later he graduated from Anambra State University after wasting over 6years on his UI quest.

As for UI, you and I know you won't get into UI.
Better settle for another university or learn a vocation.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Shelumiel: 1:57pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hi. I read through your writeup and from what is summarized, I can see you lack a focus on what you really want to study.

Please, I am not criticizing you, but I feel you should pursue you dreams.

If you want to become an engineer, that is good and fine (heck, I am a chemical engineer who is looking to become a medical doctor soon grin) .

Or, if you want to become a doctor, then stay with it and forget the time factor. After all, we all have one life to live so why not live it to the fullest doing what you love...?

Peace

1 Like

Re: . by atom080: 2:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Shelumiel:
Hi. I read through your writeup and from what is summarized, I can see you lack a focus on what you really want to study.

Please, I am not criticizing you, but I feel you should pursue you dreams.

If you want to become an engineer, that is good and fine (heck, I am a chemical engineer who is looking to become a medical doctor soon grin) .

Or, if you want to become a doctor, then stay with it and forget the time factor. After all, we all have one life to live so why not live it to the fullest doing what you love...?

Peace
i don't lose any focus! only the problem i had is that i'm kind of multitalented person, permit me to say that. the only issue i have have is choosing the best(of course mbbs). but when my efforts were to no avail, i got no option than to fall back to my back up plan which i don't know how the future will be if i go for it.
Re: . by Shelumiel: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

i don't lose any focus! only the problem i had is that i'm kind of multitalented person, permit me to say that. the only issue i have have is choosing the best(of course mbbs). but when my efforts were to no avail, i got no option than to fall back to my back up plan which i don't know how the future will be if i go for it.
Look, why not go for the MBBS and secure your future. Think about it : you becoming a doctor gives you serious job security over here and abroad. Plus, the title is even more prestigious than any engineering title you will ever see in life
Re: . by Hannania(m): 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
Engineering is not what you study for a career option, but based on passion. If you're made up for engineering, here is my advice.

1. Graduate with 4.50 CGPA(You have the capabilities) you can get multiple scholarships.
I have 3 scholarships presently, and its helping me do No. 4 below
2. Join IEEE(Institute of electrical and electronics Engineers while on campus)
3. Master C/C++ with evidential projects.
4.Prepare for GRE while in Final year and score 320-340/340.

When you do these, you can leave the country immediately after you graduate with fully funded scholarships. With your MSC and C/C++ proficiency, you'd earn $100, 000 in US or €60000 in Europe for a start.

PS: There are opportunities out there for the engineering field practitioners

Do the above, and your Generation will thank you smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by atom080: 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I've read your timeline of academic misfortune and it is apparent that the forces are working against you.

Right now, I'd advice you not to run after a Medicine or an Engineering degree...run after wisdom because you truly need it.

If you had just a little of it in 2018 when you had the prerequisites to be admitted into a Nigerian University; you'd have been preparing for your industrial training today.

thank you. i understand you even beyond d threshold of your intention. i said it, back then i was ignorance of realities of life, yes of course i lack wisdom. that was examples of mistakes i talked about.
but what is the essence of beating the dead horse or fixing the broken egg?
u are bringing up my past to judge me which wouldn't solve d issue.
i've made mistake right? what is now d best way out? that is all i need.

2 Likes

Re: . by ecolime(m): 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2020
How old are you now and have you gained admission to study Elect/elect already?

If you haven't and you are over 22, just go for computing and put more effort into your personal development. It's an area of science that doesn't really focus on your age but skills.
Re: . by atom080: 2:28pm On Dec 27, 2020
Shelumiel:
Look, why not go for the MBBS and secure your future. Think about it : you becoming a doctor gives you serious job security over here and abroad. Plus, the title is even more prestigious than any engineering title you will ever see in life
wow, thank you for this. i only think about the time factor and nothing else.

1 Like

Re: . by Regex: 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

thank you. i understand you even beyond d threshold of your intention. i said it, back then i was ignorance of realities of life, yes of course i lack wisdom. that was examples of mistakes i talked about.
but what is the essence of beating the dead horse or fixing the broken egg?
u are bringing up my past to judge me which wouldn't solve d issue.
i've made mistake right? what is now d best way out? that is all i need.

NwaAmaikpe already gave you the solution. Start considering other universities.

I had a relative in the late 80s who suffered the same U.I (Ultimate Ignorance) syndrome...many years later he graduated from Anambra State University after wasting over 6years on his UI quest.

As for UI, you and I know you won't get into UI.
Better settle for another university or learn a vocation.
Re: . by atom080: 2:36pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hannania:
Engineering is not what you study for a career option, but based on passion. If you're made up for engineering, here is my advice.

1. Graduate with 4.50 CGPA(You have the capabilities) you can get multiple scholarships.
I have 3 scholarships presently, and its helping me do No. 4 below
2. Join IEEE(Institute of electrical and electronics Engineers while on campus)
3. Master C/C++ with evidential projects.
4.Prepare for GRE while in Final year and score 320-340/340.

When you do these, you can leave the country immediately after you graduate with fully funded scholarships. With your MSC and C/C++ proficiency, you'd earn $100, 000 in US or €60000 in Europe for a start.

PS: There are opportunities out there with engineeri
wow, i know how lucrative and secured engineering is over there. but i am of the mentality that it is impossible to get engineering job offshore(abroad).
that has been my dream. thanks for this enligthenment. permit me to mail you.
Re: . by Hannania(m): 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

wow, i know how lucrative and secured engineering is over there. but i am of the mentality that it is impossible to get engineering job offshore(abroad).
that has been my dream. thanks for this enligthenment. permit me to mail you.
Lets discuss here, so everyone can benefit. Follow the student route, and it gets easy
Re: . by atom080: 2:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
Regex:

NwaAmaikpe already gave you the solution. Start considering other universities.

of course you are both right. all medical school are thesame. you talk about oau, unilag, uniben,unn and the likes. they r all competitive. only if u were a medical student will understand what it takes. i chose u.i only for d admission transparency.
for the less competitive schools(private and state uni), their fee is way too exorbitant.
go check what most state uni bill for their mbbs. only the rich can afford it.
on and on it goes. bla bla bla...
so this is d reason u observe that most mbbs aspirant prefer federal uni..
Re: . by Shelumiel: 2:54pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

wow, thank you for this. i only think about the time factor and nothing else.
Forget about the time factor thing and pursue your dream jare.

Just of recent, I came across an article on this forum. The article was on a 78 year old man that graduated from law school and was planning to further his education with a masters degree!

https://becksblog.com.ng/id-be-going-for-masters-after-law-school-says-78-year-old-fresh-law-graduate/

Now I know you are not even up to 30, and you still have youth in you. So if this 78 year old could accomplish this, then so can you!

Peace smiley
Re: . by atom080: 2:55pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hannania:
Lets discuss here, so everyone can benefit. Follow the student route, and it gets easy
alright then.
but i couldn't just get you. if i were to get scholarship for msc offshore. i will have to apply for student visa which is of course for the duration of the programme, of which i will b expected to go home afterward. then how will it be possible to get job at this instance as a mere student?
or what other "student route" are u talking about?
Re: . by Ajibade123(m): 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
omo you ssbi BOOK O...let leave that aside first

for this country wey we dy so Medicine is far better that engineering but to gain admission to study medicine or engineering in some schools like UI na war

I am sure Uniben will admit you for engineering with that your score but if you love medicine more or you are thinking of your future job prospect then you can accept this engineering first if you don't want to stay at home again and rewrite jamb again in your year 1 and choose medicine in a less competitive school like AAU and co
Re: . by atom080: 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
Shelumiel:
Forget about the time factor thing and pursue your dream jare.

Just of recent, I came across an article on this forum. The article was on a 78 year old man that graduated from law school and was planning to further his education with a masters degree!

https://becksblog.com.ng/id-be-going-for-masters-after-law-school-says-78-year-old-fresh-law-graduate/

Now I know you are not even up to 30, and you still have youth in you. So if this 78 year old could accomplish this, then so can you!

Peace smiley
wow, thank you much!
Re: . by atom080: 3:06pm On Dec 27, 2020
Ajibade123:
omo you ssbi BOOK O...let leave that aside first

for this country wey we dy so Medicine is far better that engineering but to gain admission to study medicine or engineering in some schools like UI na war

I am sure Uniben will admit you for engineering with that your score but if you love medicine more or you are thinking of your future job prospect then you can accept this engineering first if you don't want to stay at home again and rewrite jamb again in
wow! thank you. i consider this too. u r right wen u said dat mbbs is to competive.
but these less competitive state uni's are plagued with the problem of nepotism and "long leg", and more so their exorbitant fee. dat is why i dn't dance to d tune of d state uni's.
thank you
Re: . by Hannania(m): 3:28pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

alright then.
but i couldn't just get you. if i were to get scholarship for msc offshore. i will have to apply for student visa which is of course for the duration of the programme, of which i will b expected to go home afterward. then how will it be possible to get job at this instance as a mere student?
or what other "student route" are u talking about?
Most counties have "grace periods" in form of temporal visa to look for jobs. As i state below:

USA: OTP(one year or two year for STEM field)
After you get job, the company can sponsor you for H1B Visa (valid for 3yrs and extendable to 6 which would lead to PR)

Germany: 18 months to look for jobs

UK: 2yrs
Holland: 2yrs
Canada:2yrs
Switzerland: 6months
Etc
Note: After you obtain jobs in that time frame, you can get a visa for work, which would lead to permanent Resident visa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Luckydonalds(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hannania:

With your MSC and C/C++ proficiency, you'd earn $100, 000 in US or €60000 in Europe for a start.
$100,000 and €60,000
Is it monthly or yearly?
Re: . by Hannania(m): 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2020
Luckydonalds:

$100,000 and €60,000
Is it monthly or yearly?

haba lol, its yearly grin
Re: . by atom080: 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hannania:
Most counties have "grace periods" in form of temporal visa to look for jobs. As i state below:

USA: OTP(one year or two year for STEM field)
After you get job, the company can sponsor you for H1B Visa (valid for 3yrs and extendable to 6 which would lead to PR)

Germany: 18 months to look for jobs

UK: 2yrs
Holland: 2yrs
Canada:2yrs
Switzerland: 6months
Etc
wow! i wasn't aware of this.
most local scholarship sponsors in nigeria restrict candidates to apply for only one scholarship. how come you jail break it to 3?
and can u share some foreign scholarship you know that are very linient.
Re: . by atom080: 4:13pm On Dec 27, 2020
bigglenn12
Re: . by atom080: 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2020
Cc: seun, mynd44, dominique, munika2 . pls help me move it to the FP. i really need advice.
Re: . by DontBullshitMe: 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2020
Engineering over medicine any day any time.

1 Like

Re: . by Regex: 9:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
atom080:

of course you are both right. all medical school are thesame. you talk about oau, unilag, uniben,unn and the likes. they r all competitive. only if u were a medical student will understand what it takes. i chose u.i only for d admission transparency.
for the less competitive schools(private and state uni), their fee is way too exorbitant.
go check what most state uni bill for their mbbs. only the rich can afford it.
on and on it goes. bla bla bla...
so this is d reason u observe that most mbbs aspirant prefer federal uni..

Still gonna put it to you back but this time pointing the obvious.... Check other federal universities.
Re: . by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2020
Go back to the drawing board, follow your heart, start again. This time you are not starting from ground zero, but on the lessons you have learnt from your mistakes.

N.B When your time come, everything go jus dey fall in place without stress.
Re: . by Uyi168: 11:55pm On Dec 27, 2020
People talking about job security and medicine being the best thing after sliced bread and akara, the thing go shock una ooo..

Medicine is not what it used to be..

And please, forget about age and do your thing.

2 Likes

Re: . by ElRapido: 1:27am On Dec 28, 2020
Ain't got time to read your damn long epistle. But from your topic, yes you can make with anything. Just have the attitude. Seriously, attitude is everything. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Polytechnic 2011/2012 Admission Update / Where Can I Learn Sign Language? / How To Acquire/improve Your Grammar Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.