Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,417 members, 7,853,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 04:53 AM

Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin (4273 Views)

See All Photos And Some Names That Attended Gov. Udom Father's Burial In Akwa Ib / Degi-Eremienyo: The Conflicting Names That Disqualified APC Deputy Governor / Gov. Ortoms U-turn On Nltp, Evident His Administration Is Always Confused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by nengibo: 1:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
What of Tamara, Americans bear it too
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by mekysmart123: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
what do you say about Rivers bearing Rotimi
Only one man bears Rotimi, and he is the former governor of Rivers State, a name he took as a nick name because of his love for Rotimi Williams...
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by JustCruise(m): 1:51pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=nengibo post=97495946]What of Tamara, Americans bear it too

Don't know about Tamara but Amara is Igbo for Grace.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by nengibo: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=JustCruise post=97496514][/quote]
Ok, I'm talking about Tamara an Ijaw name for God, and also answered by non Nigerians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by nettpen: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
Name like Omawunmi
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by iaamxavier(m): 5:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
nettpen:
Name like Omawunmi

LOL I use to think it was a yoruba name but knowing it is a warri name
Well they share the same ancestry btw

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by iaamxavier(m): 5:59pm On Dec 28, 2020
I used to think Kenneth is an igbo name grin
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Kinematics: 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=JustCruise post=97496514][/quote]

He is referring to Tamara a common Ijaw name.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Sammy07: 6:24pm On Dec 28, 2020
iaamxavier:

LOL I use to think it was a yoruba name but knowing it is a warri name Well they share the same ancestry btw
Itshekiri people. the Yoruba version is Omowumi

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Nickshrapnel: 6:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
What is the origin of names like Boniface?
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Sammy07: 6:29pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nickshrapnel:

Boniface should have Greek or Latin origin.

Its not Nigeria sha
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Afamed: 6:35pm On Dec 28, 2020
tobechi74:
Is JIDE YORUBA
It both comes from Yoruba and Igbo.

The Yoruba is Babajide
While the Igbo is Jideofor
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Emyzoloye5(m): 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2020
Yemisi

has both Igbo and Yoruba meaning
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by temblor1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
1.Essien: why do ghanaians bear this name and also people from Akwa Ibom state of Nigeria also bear it? Do they any cultural relation? Or is it an English name.?

2.Rotimi: Americans bear this name, also yorubas too, but mostly Rivers people. I read somewhere that it is of yoruba origin meaning "be with me". Does it have a different meaning in rivers state. If not why do they adopt that name so much?

3.Ortega: remember that urhobo song? Ortega, oghene Ortega...... Yeah that song.. Americans also bear this name, Ortega amancio the billionaire comes to mind.. From what I can find on the internet this name is of Spanish origin, I can't fathom what it means in urhobo (my urhobo is very limited) or why urhobo people like bearing this name..
There are alot of other names like this, can't remember all
Abeg.... Rotimi na Igbo or Yoruba name.
Slave trade no be beans grin
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ejanla077: 8:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
1.Essien: why do ghanaians bear this name and also people from Akwa Ibom state of Nigeria also bear it? Do they any cultural relation? Or is it an English name.?

2.Rotimi: Americans bear this name, also yorubas too, but mostly Rivers people. I read somewhere that it is of yoruba origin meaning "be with me". Does it have a different meaning in rivers state. If not why do they adopt that name so much?

3.Ortega: remember that urhobo song? Ortega, oghene Ortega...... Yeah that song.. Americans also bear this name, Ortega amancio the billionaire comes to mind.. From what I can find on the internet this name is of Spanish origin, I can't fathom what it means in urhobo (my urhobo is very limited) or why urhobo people like bearing this name..
There are alot of other names like this, can't remember all

From the write up it shows u re unenlightened
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Kinematics: 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nickshrapnel:

Anglo-Saxon.

Very common name in Riverine areas of Rivers and Bayelsa.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by rtdCivilservant: 8:57pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nickshrapnel:
Boniface has its origin from a man that has a bonny face(that is a funny face), so in order to simplify the name they chose to call him 'Boniface'.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by udomma1005(m): 2:09am On Dec 29, 2020
ahnie:
POC....the urhobos doesn't bear Ortega...it's tega short form of oghenetega...not oghene Ortega.

As for Rotimi it's of yoruba origin and it's a name bore only by the yoruba peeps.i wonder what you meant by Americans bearing same name...or perhaps those Americans bearing the names has roots from yoruba by births from either dia mum or dad.
How about Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State?
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Praxis758: 2:44am On Dec 29, 2020
Yemisi has both Igbo and Yoruba meaning

Good to know that Yemisi has both Igbo and Yoruba meaning.

Pls what is the Igbo meaning of Yemisi?

Thanks.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Praxis758: 2:45am On Dec 29, 2020
Nickshrapnel:

Boniface is latin name that means 'does/worker of good'
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by 217seventeen: 6:37am On Dec 29, 2020
[s]
Afamed:

It both comes from Yoruba and Igbo.

The Yoruba is Babajide
While the Igbo is Jideofor
[/s]
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by urbobo20(m): 6:51am On Dec 29, 2020
the nane rotimi = oluwaduromtimi GOD stand with me (yoruba) the other for are emomoti and ebikatimi this two are ijaw in urhobo we have tega and not ortega or otega

(1) (2) (Reply)

People In Rivers, What’s The State Of Affairs With Wike And Tinubu Romance? / Emiefele Relocates Family To US , Plans To Run Away May 29 / Rapper Reportedly Declines Request To Perform At Tinubu’s Inaugurat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.