Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,341 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? (981 Views)

2023: Someone Who Claimed He Lost His Wealth Under Abacha Now Owns Planes – Obi / James Ibori Releases Document Of How He Helped British Airways Under Abacha / US Gives Nigeria Government Evidence On How Bagudu Stole Billions Under Abacha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by potent5(m): 2:24pm On Dec 29, 2020
Chief Olusegun Obasanjo may have given insight into the events that led to his arrest by General Abacha over a failed coup d'etat.
While speaking recently on his latest book, Obasanjo said
Before he was arrested by Abacha, "two senior retired Yoruba officers, a Navy and Army officers called on me at my farm to lead the West out of Nigeria, I did not take it kindly with their request.”

“I said, “God’s judgment in me if I ever do what will be swift and decisive; He would ask those who died as a result of my fighting for the unification of Nigeria to line up and hold one hand and those that will die fighting for the West to secede from Nigeria to line up and hold the other hand and pull me until I will be cut into two.”

Could this have been the actual reason for OBJ's arrest, his larger than life personality being viewed by the erstwhile government as a threat? Could the then government have justified his arrest and eventual incarceration by the false claims that he had been a part of a coup plot?
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by dawnomike(m): 3:05pm On Dec 29, 2020
OBJ, TY Danjuma, IBB, Ndume etc are still not telling the truth about some things in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by DMerciful(m): 3:42pm On Dec 29, 2020
I want Obj, Danjuma to tell us why they insist on one Nigeria? Telling me that the spirit of those that died fighting for one Nigeria will not be happy with you is foolishness because you cannot sacrifice the living for the dead!
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by Runaway: 4:55pm On Dec 29, 2020
OBJ, TY Danjuma and their likes. Most one day tell us what they did to Nigeria.
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by Bkayyy: 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2020
Obj made a wise decision.

I will like the west to remain with Nigeria for eternity.

They fought to keep it one and one shall it remain till the world ends
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by Jubal01: 5:11pm On Dec 29, 2020
Whatever!
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by Jubal01: 5:15pm On Dec 29, 2020
dawnomike:
OBJ, TY Danjuma, IBB, Ndume etc are still not telling the truth about some things in Nigeria

Some things are better left unknown!

1 Like

Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by illicit(m): 7:22pm On Dec 29, 2020
He should mention the officers in question....
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by ehinmowo: 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2020
Bkayyy:
Obj made a wise decision.

I will like the west to remain with Nigeria for eternity.

They fought to keep it one and one shall it remain till the world ends

Perhaps you need to read your history well. Between OBJ, Zik and Ironsi, who frustrated efforts to ensure peaceful breaking of NIgeria?
Re: Obj's Coup Involvement Under Abacha Explained? by potent5(m): 9:16pm On Dec 29, 2020
Meaning?
ehinmowo:

Perhaps you need to read your history well. Between OBJ, Zik and Ironsi, who frustrated efforts to ensure peaceful breaking of NIgeria?

(1) (Reply)

Amotekun Short The First Shoot And Hit The Target. / - / Nigerians react as EKSU Varsity VC revalidates his APC membership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.