Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. (3088 Views)

To The Muslim Members On Niaraland!! What Did Kukah Said Wrongly. / Boko Haram Lived In My Home For 8 Months When PDP Was In Power -buba Marwa / Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 2:26pm On Dec 29, 2020
This is why one has to be consistent and avoid shifting position on the issue of patriotism.

Muric definitely has a point that Reverend Kukah is not sincere and is acting to be unstable in his convictions.
I think he should get this point that this position he took in 2014 when Ex President GEJ and his beloved party, PDP , was in power is now in sharp contrast to how he is allegedly now calling for a coup now.
This was published on the same platform of Catholic bishops now defending Rev. Kukah.

There is obviously something immoral in how Rev. Kukah is acting.

The internet never forgets.

NIGERIANS URGED TO PERCEIVE THE COUNTRY IN POSITIVE CONCEPT

2014, Aug 05

Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah of Sokoto Diocese has called on Nigerians to eschew pessimism about the Nigerian nation and have a positive concept about the country and her people. The bishop made this call in a paper presentation at a lecture organized by the members of the Pyrates Confraternity to mark the 80th Birthday anniversary of Nigeria’s Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

His words: “Nigerians love to criticize their country perhaps far more than any nation I know of in the world. Yes, we have all earned the right to be cynical and even contemptible about the way we have been governed, and about how the resources of our nation have been frittered away mindlessly. I am even more amused by the criticisms of some of our brethren in the Diaspora especially those who think that simply being abroad has set them apart from their fellow countrymen and women, those who believe that those of us who are here are so because we are not good enough to be abroad.”
Calling for a more positive orientation and thinking about the Nigerian nation, Bishop Kukah added: “
It is about time we took off the gloves and speak honestly to ourselves about our future as a country, our mistakes, our fears, anxieties and deep hope. We are not the worst people on earth nor is our country the worst piece of God’s real estate. We have to seize this narrative and re-define ourselves.”

According to Bishop Kukah: “The measure of the greatness of a people or even individuals is based on how or where they stand in moments of trials and tribulations. Nigeria is going through such a phase now. Since the outbreak of the tragedy that is Boko Haram, one has seen another side of our citizens that is quite tragic. Rather than trying to stand together to rise beyond this in hope together, I find some of my fellow citizens creating more confusion and using the insurgency as weapons of politics
He added: “The President and the security agencies have become the objects of attacks and vilification and yet, there is very little that is being done to point at the way forward. I know that as day follows night, we shall pull out of this tragedy that we face as a nation. But the least we can do is to stand in the comforts of highways and homes that someone else constructed and thrown stones at ourselves and our people simply because we are living off someone else’s sweat.”

The local ordinary of Sokoto Diocese pointed out that in spite of the criticisms of the country, she has produced globally acclaimed men and women geniuses who have distinguished themselves in different areas of social, academic and professional development. He added that what the country needs are new visionaries to set higher standards and “new dreamers with the necessary imagination to summon our people to greater tomorrow.”

While eulogizing the celebrant and appreciating his commendable achievements in making the society a better place through the work of arts and literature, Bishop Kukah challenged the new generation of writers to address the questions of the relationship between life and art.
His words: “What we now need is new generations of Nigerian artists who will make Life imitate Art. By doing this, they can hold before us a world that is not here, but is possible. They can offer us a vision of a society that is not here yet but one to which we can align our politics, religion and culture as a people. They can summon to bear our burden with joy, to conquer our darkness with courage. That is the only spirit that can summon us to say, Yes, we can and Yes, we Must. It is the only spirit that can bend the arc of justice in our direction.”

https://www.cbcn-ng.org/newsdetail.php?tab=372

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Fvckhypocrite(f): 2:32pm On Dec 29, 2020
M
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by IamD18: 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2020
If you like dig out his grandfather's corpse, the truth remain that what he said about Buhari is true.

If a Non-Northern President practice the nepotism and Tribalism Buhari has been practicing, there'll be a coup against the President

26 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Greshlady: 2:35pm On Dec 29, 2020
his point of view
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Anago55: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2020
Imagine the effort a yoruba man is putting just to defend a Fulani man from another one. You always claim to be a yoruba man, now I have my doubts

Yorubas I know don't give a damn if the fulanis screw themselves to smithereens but here you are trying to sway the truth as usual and people will think this is a yoruba man and will lay curses on yorubas

nawaoo

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 29, 2020
Only people who are ignorant of history will see Kuka's speech as Patriotic, it's partisan, inflammatory and sentimental. Only bigot at his age will speak the way he angrily did.
Never in history a Northerner plotted coup against a Southerner. Saying if it's a Southerner handling this govt PMB is doing there would've been a coup is totally wrong and unacceptable because it never happened.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 2:41pm On Dec 29, 2020
IamD18:
If you like dig out his grandfather's corpse, the truth remain that what he said about Buhari is true.

If a Non-Northern President practice the nepotism and Tribalism Buhari has been practicing, there'll be a coup against the President

As at May 2020, the appointment is in favour of Southerners but Rev. Kukah could have just asked but he chose to call for coup, according to MURIC.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2020
INSINCERE, UNSTABLE BEECHOP COOKER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by blowjob: 2:48pm On Dec 29, 2020
CLOWNS
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 29, 2020
Well, the problem with most critics of this government is that at some time in the past, they were praise singers of the previous administrations.

Though Kukah was not necessarily a fan of GEJ...he did have some harsh stuff to say back then about the PDP if i recall

But as I was saying, the problem with most critics of past admins of Nigeria...once Bubu took over, many of them turned to praise singers, while some praise singers of GEJ and others in the past are now fierce critics of Buhari

Many of them are on this site. One guy on this site was one of the best critics of GEJ, and really wrote good points about the bad times in Nigeria...then Bubu took over, and he turned praise singer. Another guy was a praise-singer of GEJ, then became a Buhari critic once he took over.

It all boils down to one thing...Nigerian politcial games. Make the other side look bad so that you look good by comparison, reap the fruits during election time...and continue the looting from where the other side left off.

That's why some of us cannot vote for or even stand PDP or APC . To me, they are just the Christian and Muslim branches of the Grand Old Nigerian Corruption Party. Neither side is interested in developing Nigeria. Them just want to chop money.

2 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:01pm On Dec 29, 2020
Anago55:
Imagine the effort a yoruba man is putting just to defend a Fulani man from another one. You always claim to be a yoruba man, now I have my doubts

Yorubas I know don't give a damn if the fulanis screw themselves to smithereens but here you are trying to sway the truth as usual and people will think this is a yoruba man and will lay curses on yorubas

nawaoo

This is a question the so called yorubas on NL can't answer,

1 Like

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Cajal(m): 3:05pm On Dec 29, 2020
Coronabirus:
Only people who are ignorant of history will see Kuka's speech as Patriotic, it's partisan, inflammatory and sentimental. Only bigot at his age will speak the way he angrily did.
Never in history a Northerner plotted coup against a Southerner. Saying if it's a Southerner handling this govt PMB is doing there would've been a coup is totally wrong and unacceptable because it never happened.
..the guy left sokoto to ota pleading on behalf of PDP Atiku

3 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Afolabimills(m): 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:
This is why one has to be consistent and avoid shifting position on the issue of patriotism.

Muric definitely has a point that Reverend Kukah is not sincere and is acting to be unstable in his convictions.
I think he should get this point that this position he took in 2014 when Ex President GEJ and his beloved party, PDP , was in power is now in sharp contrast to how he is allegedly now calling for a coup now.
This was published on the same platform of Catholic bishops now defending Rev. Kukah.

There is obviously something immoral in how Rev. Kukah is acting.

The internet never forgets.

NIGERIANS URGED TO PERCEIVE THE COUNTRY IN POSITIVE CONCEPT

2014, Aug 05

Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah of Sokoto Diocese has called on Nigerians to eschew pessimism about the Nigerian nation and have a positive concept about the country and her people. The bishop made this call in a paper presentation at a lecture organized by the members of the Pyrates Confraternity to mark the 80th Birthday anniversary of Nigeria’s Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

His words: “Nigerians love to criticize their country perhaps far more than any nation I know of in the world. Yes, we have all earned the right to be cynical and even contemptible about the way we have been governed, and about how the resources of our nation have been frittered away mindlessly. I am even more amused by the criticisms of some of our brethren in the Diaspora especially those who think that simply being abroad has set them apart from their fellow countrymen and women, those who believe that those of us who are here are so because we are not good enough to be abroad.”
Calling for a more positive orientation and thinking about the Nigerian nation, Bishop Kukah added: “
It is about time we took off the gloves and speak honestly to ourselves about our future as a country, our mistakes, our fears, anxieties and deep hope. We are not the worst people on earth nor is our country the worst piece of God’s real estate. We have to seize this narrative and re-define ourselves.”

According to Bishop Kukah: “The measure of the greatness of a people or even individuals is based on how or where they stand in moments of trials and tribulations. Nigeria is going through such a phase now. Since the outbreak of the tragedy that is Boko Haram, one has seen another side of our citizens that is quite tragic. Rather than trying to stand together to rise beyond this in hope together, I find some of my fellow citizens creating more confusion and using the insurgency as weapons of politics
He added: “The President and the security agencies have become the objects of attacks and vilification and yet, there is very little that is being done to point at the way forward. I know that as day follows night, we shall pull out of this tragedy that we face as a nation. But the least we can do is to stand in the comforts of highways and homes that someone else constructed and thrown stones at ourselves and our people simply because we are living off someone else’s sweat.”

The local ordinary of Sokoto Diocese pointed out that in spite of the criticisms of the country, she has produced globally acclaimed men and women geniuses who have distinguished themselves in different areas of social, academic and professional development. He added that what the country needs are new visionaries to set higher standards and “new dreamers with the necessary imagination to summon our people to greater tomorrow.”

While eulogizing the celebrant and appreciating his commendable achievements in making the society a better place through the work of arts and literature, Bishop Kukah challenged the new generation of writers to address the questions of the relationship between life and art.
His words: “What we now need is new generations of Nigerian artists who will make Life imitate Art. By doing this, they can hold before us a world that is not here, but is possible. They can offer us a vision of a society that is not here yet but one to which we can align our politics, religion and culture as a people. They can summon to bear our burden with joy, to conquer our darkness with courage. That is the only spirit that can summon us to say, Yes, we can and Yes, we Must. It is the only spirit that can bend the arc of justice in our direction.”

https://www.cbcn-ng.org/newsdetail.php?tab=372
your lies can't work Nigeria was far better than as it is now today under ur tin god bullhari

2 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Rebelutionary: 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2020
There's only one Priest who's position I respect when it comes to consistency of thought and who doesn't go as far as fanning the embers of hate - ArchBishop Onayekan.

He will say the same thing to a Buhari with the same tone as he would to a GEJ...#fact!!
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2020
He added: “The President(Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan) and the security agencies have become the objects of attacks and vilification and yet, there is very little that is being done to point at the way forward. I know that as day follows night, we shall pull out of this tragedy that we face as a nation. But the least we can do is to stand in the comforts of highways and homes that someone else constructed and thrown stones at ourselves and our people simply because we are living off someone else’s sweat."

Revd Kukah,2014.

Making excuses for the PDP government and the same service chiefs who are facing serious cases of theft in courts!

Fast forward,December, 2020, he is now calling for a sack of the Service Chiefs and the president their principal shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Afolabimills(m): 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

As at May 2020, the appointment is in favour of Southerners but Rev. Kukah could have just asked but he chose to call for coup, according to MURIC.
pls stop spreading your lies and propaganda we are talking about the unity progress and peace of this great country security is rubbish under buhari pls give us the breakdown of Nigeria security network?yet nothing to show for it

4 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by NeoWanZaeed(m): 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2020
ONLY A MADMAN WOULD SAY THIS GOV IS BETA OR SAME WIT JONA ERA. AWON APC YI TI YA WAYRAY

2 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by NeoWanZaeed(m): 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2020
MURIC IS NOT REPRESENTING ISLAM OR MUSLIM. MURIC REPRESENTS MURIC RELIGION
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:37pm On Dec 29, 2020
Afolabimills:
pls stop spreading your lies and propaganda we are talking about the unity progress and peace of this great country security is rubbish under buhari pls give us the breakdown of Nigeria security network?yet nothing to show for it

I think it is Reverend Kukah that has explanations to make.

These are the Service Chiefs Reverend Kukah was pleading with Nigerians to support and not criticise shocked

There's something obscenely immoral in the character displayed by the holier than thou posturing of Rev. Kukah.

It is fraudulent.

The service chiefs and the president when he should have condemned turned out to be monumentally incompetent and alleged thieves.

These are his friends?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Saao(m): 3:44pm On Dec 29, 2020
Can you compare what we have today with then?
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Prawatre: 3:44pm On Dec 29, 2020
He also said this:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/buharis-honeymoon-may-not-last-kukah/

It is important to balance your history.
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by DeadWrong: 3:47pm On Dec 29, 2020
Claudiusdeux:
Well, the problem with most critics of this government is that at some time in the past, they were praise singers of the previous administrations.

Though Kukah was not necessarily a fan of GEJ...he did have some harsh stuff to say back then about the PDP if i recall

But as I was saying, the problem with most critics of past admins of Nigeria...once Bubu took over, many of them turned to praise singers, while some praise singers of GEJ and others in the past are now fierce critics of Buhari

Many of them are on this site. One guy on this site was one of the best critics of GEJ, and really wrote good points about the bad times in Nigeria...then Bubu took over, and he turned praise singer. Another guy was a praise-singer of GEJ, then became a Buhari critic once he took over.

It all boils down to one thing...Nigerian politcial games. Make the other side look bad so that you look good by comparison, reap the fruits during election time...and continue the looting from where the other side left off.

That's why some of us cannot vote for PDP or APC .
The most brilliant comment I have read on NL in a long while. The late Prof Pius Adesanmi wrote an article that expressed the same view as yours. He tagged both PDP and APC apologists as hypocrites and further described APC and PDP as Siamese twins of failure. What you mentioned up there is the reason why nothing progressives can work in Nigeria unless something revolutionary happens which is very unlikely. There is no light at the end of tunnel until we start to do things for the greater good.

1 Like

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:50pm On Dec 29, 2020
Saao:
Can you compare what we have today with then?

Sir,no. It is like comparing light(this government) and dark( the government of Rev Kukah's friends).
That time, some part of Nigeria was under the administration of Boko Haram and they even hoisted their flags.

That time, federal government and most states could not even pay salaries.

Then, by this time, we sleep at petrol stations and we had a President who did not even believe the Chibok girls were kidnapped.

Those years were the years of locust.

We are not there yet but we have left the worst place Rev Kukah and his friends left the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Saao(m): 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Sir,no. It is like comparing light(this government) and dark( the government of Rev Kukah's friends).
That time, some part of Nigeria was under the administration of Boko Haram and they even hoisted their flags.

Then, by this time, we sleep at petrol stations and we had a President who did not even believe the Chibok girls were kidnapped.

That was the years of locust.

We are not there yet but we have left the worst place Rev Kukah and his friends left the country.
lol bro, so you believe no more flags hoisted in any local government? Kukah is from the north and I'm from the north but currently resides in the southwest. The insecurities then was in one particular location but today is all over. Many of us can't travel home cuz of insecurities. A friend of mine travel by air to kaduna last week, he was kidnapped between the airport and the town and later killed after ransom was paid. Many states in the north, farmers paid taxes to bokoharam called bandit to farm, to harvest BTW 200k and millions. Bokoharam operates from most of the local governments secretariats in borno states, collect taxes and levies from the people freely. Don't be deceived by the fact that the federal suppresses the media from that part of the country from telling the truth. The lives of people in the north are in the hands of God. People die everyday in the north in numbers.

2 Likes

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Vaughanlanrewaj: 4:15pm On Dec 29, 2020
Saao:
lol bro, so you believe no more flags hoisted in any local government? Kukah is from the north and I'm from the north but currently resides in the southwest. The insecurities then was in one particular location but today is all over. Many of us can't travel home cuz of insecurities. A friend of mine travel by air to kaduna last week, he was kidnapped between the airport and the town and later killed after ransom was paid. Many states in the north, farmers paid taxes to bokoharam called bandit to farm, to harvest BTW 200k and millions. Bokoharam operates from most of the local governments secretariats in borno states, collect taxes and levies from the people freely. Don't be deceived by the fact that the federal suppresses the media from that part of the country from telling the truth. The lives of people in the north are in the hands of God. People die everyday in the north in numbers.

Sir, I sympathise with the North and that's why we need sincere leaders to speak truth to power in all parts of Nigeria.

We will be enabling Rev. Kukah to be unstable and inconsistent if we don't expose his partisanship.

Do we still sleep at fuel stations on Christmas days and are government workers across states, federal and LGs being owed for several months and even sent on Christmas break without their salaries?

These atrocities were happening under the government Rev Kukah supported yet he never called for a coup. In fact, he was even advising Nigerians not to criticise that failed government

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by dat9jaguy(m): 4:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
Saao:

Some B. H' s activities in 2013

Below is a chronology of known or suspected BH attacks over the past several years.

9 December 2013: The Nigerian Human Rights Commission summons security chiefs over the 19 September killings of eight squatters in a raid on an incomplete building in the Apo area of Abuja. President Goodluck Jonathan lends support to the creation of an African rapid reaction force, which could help tackle the BH insurgency.

6 December 2013: An Abuja Federal High Court orders Nigeria’s inspector general of police to produce three policemen being detained over alleged BH membership.

5 December 2013: Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, makes a financial donation to the families of 20 fishermen killed by BH in Kukawa District, on the border with Chad.

4 December 2013: The Nigerian army admits holding 1,400 suspected BH members for months without trial. It recommends trial for 500 of the suspects, release of 167 and reviews of the cases of 614. Nigeria warns the US against using its terror designation for BH and splinter rebel group Ansaru against Nigerians traveling to the US for legitimate purposes.

3 December 2013: A round-the-clock curfew in Maiduguri is relaxed by 13 hours, and phone services are restored in the metropolis. A Lagos Federal High Court orders the trial of 17 suspected BH members charged with terrorism to be held in private following an application by the prosecution.

2 December 2013: Around 200 BH gunmen dressed as soldiers launch coordinated attacks on an air force base, a military barracks and a nearby checkpoint in Maiduguri. They burn buildings and five aircraft, and kill dozens of soldiers and civilians. The attacks prompt a round-the-clock curfew in the city and the suspension of flights.

30 November 2013: The Nigerian military pledges to secure communities near the country’s northern and eastern borders with Chad, Niger and Cameroon over Christmas and New Year due to fears of BH strikes. BH gunmen kill seven fishermen in an ambush the town of Baga - reprisals over the arrests of sect members the previous day. Local boats and fishing nets are burned in the attack. Troops kill BH members and arrest five others in an ambush at Gidan Maiwa Village in Ningi, a local government area of Bauchi State. Eleven Kalashnikovs, rocket launchers, grenades and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition are recovered from the insurgents.

29 November 2013: Human Rights Watch calls for BH to stop targeting ordinary Nigerians, claiming the group has abducted scores of women and girls and used children as young as 12 in fighting.

28 November 2013: BH insurgents kill 17 residents of Sabon Gari Village, in Damboa District, 90km from Maiduguri, during a raid in which over 100 shops and several vehicles are burned.

25 November 2013: The Nigerian military says it will continue to dislodge BH elements who fled from the country’s northeast to the southwest following a sweeping military offensive.

23 November 2013: BH gunmen kill 12 residents, burn several homes and steal vehicles in an attack on Sandiya Village, 85km outside Maiduguri. It is a response to the villagers’ alleged collaboration with troops.

21 November 2013: Suspected BH gunmen kill three vigilantes in the Kasuwar Gwari area of Yola for their collaboration with troops. Gunmen kill four policemen in an ambush on a police patrol vehicle in the Bauchi State capital, Bauchi. Wahabi Islamic group Izala calls for the release of Mohammed Nazeef Yunus, a lecturer of Islamic studies arrested for being an alleged BH spiritual leader in central Kogi State. Izala insists he was framed.

20 November 2013: The Nigerian lower parliament approves a six-month extension of the state of emergency in three northeastern states. Nigeria’s secret police arrest an alleged BH spiritual leader for Kogi State, Mohammed Nazeef Yusuf, along with four accomplices. Yusuf denies the allegation and accuses the police of setting him up. The Borno State government urges the federal government to tighten security along the country’s northern borders to curb the BH insurgency.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by dat9jaguy(m): 4:26pm On Dec 29, 2020
dat9jaguy:

Some B. H' s activities in 2013

Below is a chronology of known or suspected BH attacks over the past several years.

9 December 2013: The Nigerian Human Rights Commission summons security chiefs over the 19 September killings of eight squatters in a raid on an incomplete building in the Apo area of Abuja. President Goodluck Jonathan lends support to the creation of an African rapid reaction force, which could help tackle the BH insurgency.

6 December 2013: An Abuja Federal High Court orders Nigeria’s inspector general of police to produce three policemen being detained over alleged BH membership.

5 December 2013: Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, makes a financial donation to the families of 20 fishermen killed by BH in Kukawa District, on the border with Chad.

4 December 2013: The Nigerian army admits holding 1,400 suspected BH members for months without trial. It recommends trial for 500 of the suspects, release of 167 and reviews of the cases of 614. Nigeria warns the US against using its terror designation for BH and splinter rebel group Ansaru against Nigerians traveling to the US for legitimate purposes.

3 December 2013: A round-the-clock curfew in Maiduguri is relaxed by 13 hours, and phone services are restored in the metropolis. A Lagos Federal High Court orders the trial of 17 suspected BH members charged with terrorism to be held in private following an application by the prosecution.

2 December 2013: Around 200 BH gunmen dressed as soldiers launch coordinated attacks on an air force base, a military barracks and a nearby checkpoint in Maiduguri. They burn buildings and five aircraft, and kill dozens of soldiers and civilians. The attacks prompt a round-the-clock curfew in the city and the suspension of flights.

30 November 2013: The Nigerian military pledges to secure communities near the country’s northern and eastern borders with Chad, Niger and Cameroon over Christmas and New Year due to fears of BH strikes. BH gunmen kill seven fishermen in an ambush the town of Baga - reprisals over the arrests of sect members the previous day. Local boats and fishing nets are burned in the attack. Troops kill BH members and arrest five others in an ambush at Gidan Maiwa Village in Ningi, a local government area of Bauchi State. Eleven Kalashnikovs, rocket launchers, grenades and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition are recovered from the insurgents.

29 November 2013: Human Rights Watch calls for BH to stop targeting ordinary Nigerians, claiming the group has abducted scores of women and girls and used children as young as 12 in fighting.

28 November 2013: BH insurgents kill 17 residents of Sabon Gari Village, in Damboa District, 90km from Maiduguri, during a raid in which over 100 shops and several vehicles are burned.

25 November 2013: The Nigerian military says it will continue to dislodge BH elements who fled from the country’s northeast to the southwest following a sweeping military offensive.

23 November 2013: BH gunmen kill 12 residents, burn several homes and steal vehicles in an attack on Sandiya Village, 85km outside Maiduguri. It is a response to the villagers’ alleged collaboration with troops.

21 November 2013: Suspected BH gunmen kill three vigilantes in the Kasuwar Gwari area of Yola for their collaboration with troops. Gunmen kill four policemen in an ambush on a police patrol vehicle in the Bauchi State capital, Bauchi. Wahabi Islamic group Izala calls for the release of Mohammed Nazeef Yunus, a lecturer of Islamic studies arrested for being an alleged BH spiritual leader in central Kogi State. Izala insists he was framed.

20 November 2013: The Nigerian lower parliament approves a six-month extension of the state of emergency in three northeastern states. Nigeria’s secret police arrest an alleged BH spiritual leader for Kogi State, Mohammed Nazeef Yusuf, along with four accomplices. Yusuf denies the allegation and accuses the police of setting him up. The Borno State government urges the federal government to tighten security along the country’s northern borders to curb the BH insurgency.

Continuation :
Menu
Search
Browse by theme
Browse by region
Browse by type
About us
Advanced Search
Become a member
Contact
Investigations
Newsletter
Podcast
Syndication
What's happened to IRIN
What's new
Close Menu
Aid and Policy

Conflict

Environment and Disasters

Migration

About us
Home
Africa
West Africa
Nigeria
Migration Feature 12 December 2013
Updated timeline of Boko Haram attacks and related violence
Church in Maiduguri, northern Nigeria, attacked in inter-faith violence
Church in Maiduguri, Nigeria, attacked in inter-faith violence (Jan 2012) (Obinna Anyadike/IRIN)
In-depth
Boko Haram This article is part of our in-depth coverage. Read more like this...
DAKAR
Despite a fierce crackdown on insurgent group Boko Haram by Nigerian security forces, violence in northeastern Nigeria has not abated. Over 100 people have been killed in attacks in recent weeks, and some fear the violence will only worsen as the 2015 elections approach. Thousands of troops have been fighting Boko Haram in the north since President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in May 2013. Rights groups have accused all involved - Boko Haram, the government’s Joint Task Force and civilian vigilante groups - of carrying out human rights abuses, putting civilians at risk of violence from all sides.

19 November 2013: Troops kill two BH gunmen and recover arms during a raid on a hideout in the Gayawa area of Kano. The raid follows the earlier arrest of two armed BH members at a checkpoint in neighbouring Katsina State. Maiduguri residents nab a teenager spying for BH in the city. The Nigeria Defence Acadamy says it is modifying its training in response to Nigeria’s security challenges, especially BH militancy. Gunmen kill a police officer and injure another in an attack on a police station in Kwami District of Gombe State.

18 November 2013: French hostage Francis Collomp arrives in Paris after escaping his Ansaru captors.

16 November 2013: Collomp escapes from his Ansaru captors in the northern Nigerian city of Zaria. Collomp, a 63-year-old wind-energy engineer, was kidnapped on 19 December 2012 in northern Nigeria’s Katsina State. The Nigerian military says it has killed 20 BH gunmen in a raid on a BH camp in Bita Village, Borno State, which the insurgents were using to launch deadly attacks on nearby villages. Scores of BH vehicles and motorcycles were destroyed in the raid. Nigeria's military says it is ready for air strikes against BH Islamists as several thousand troops move to the remote northeast to retake territory seized by the insurgents.

15 November 2013: Nigerian troops kill nine BH members in a gunfight in the Damboa area of Borno State, near the border with Cameroon; a soldier is injured in the incident. Soldiers destroy two BH vans and recover ammunitions in the attack. A BH source confirms the group is behind the kidnap of a French priest in Cameroon, near the border with Nigeria. A Nigerian federal high court sentences BH member Umaru Mustapha to life for the bombing of a complex housing several newspaper offices in Kaduna, killing four people.

13 November 2013: The US designates BH and Ansaru as terror groups. The UN releases a report saying 37,000 people, including 29,000 Niger nationals, have fled northeast Nigeria into neighbouring Niger since the military began its sweeping offensive against BH on 15 May. Gunmen riding on motorcycles kidnap a French Catholic priest from his parish in the Cameroonian village of Nguetchewe, 10km from the Nigerian border. The 15 gunmen cross into Nigeria, and Cameroon authorities blame BH.

9 November 2013: Five BH insurgents and two soldiers are killed in shootouts during raids on two BH hideouts in Kano, following Intel reports that gunmen were planning suicide attacks in Kano and Nigeria’s capital, Abuja.

7 November 2013: The Nigerian senate approves the president’s request for a six-month extension of emergency rule in three northeastern states.

6 November 2013: The president seeks lawmakers’ approval of a six-month extension of the state of emergency in three northeastern states.

5 November 2013: The Nigerian army says it killed seven BH insurgents and injured several others in raids on BH camps in Bama District, Borno State. Nigeria’s presidential dialogue and reconciliation committee on BH submits its report, with the committee’s head saying BH wants dialogue. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Cécile Pouilly says BH could be guilty of crimes against humanity.

4 November 2013: Dozens of BH gunmen on motorcycles and in pickups kill 27 people and burn down 300 homes in a raid on Bama, a town in northeast Borno State. Twelve people are injured in the raid, according to a local official.

3 November 2013: A BH attack on a wedding convoy kills more than 30 people, including the groom, along Bama-Banki highway, while the convoy is returning from Michika in neighbouring Adamawa State. In a video, BH leader Abubakar Shekau claims responsibility for the 24 October attack on a military base and police facilities in Damaturu.

31 October 2013: BH gunmen kill 13 passengers in an ambush on a commercial bus in Bama District.

29 October 2013: The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) urges Cameroonian authorities not to expel Nigerians who fled to Cameroon to escape fighting between BH and Nigerian soldiers.

26 October 2013: The Nigerian military says it killed 95 BH insurgents in two days of air-and-ground raids on BH camps in northern Borno State.

24 October 2013: BH gunmen in military uniform launch coordinated attacks on a military barracks and four police facilities in Yobe State capital Damaturu. Scores are killed, including 35 men in army uniform. It is not clear if the 35 are BH gunmen or Nigerian soldiers.

22 October 2013: Nigeria's military says it killed 37 suspected BH fighters during an air-and-ground assault on an insurgent camp in the northern Borno State.

21 October 2013: The Nigerian military says it has commenced a massive recruitment to tackle the country’s security challenges.

15 October 2013: Nigeria's military says it repelled three coordinated attacks by BH gunmen in the towns of Bama, Gwoza and Pulka on 12 October, killing 40 insurgents. Amnesty International issues a report saying 950 people suspected of having links to BH have died in custody in the past six months, claiming prisoners have been suffocated, starved and subjected to extra-judicial killings in the army-led operation in the country's northeast.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by seborrhic: 4:32pm On Dec 29, 2020
Was there bigotry and nepotism at the highest level of governance in 2014 as it is now?No.
Was there widespread insecurity,not just confined to the BH insurgency,in Northwest,SS,Middle Belt and SE in 2014,as it is now?No.
Was there unparalled hardship,deprivation in 2014,as it is now?No.
If the op even read well,there is a portion in that release where the bishop asked Nigerians to be honest about the the way the country was being run.
I am honestly still amazed that anyone would see Buhari anything more than the first class bigot,devil and incompetent man that he has ever been since 1984.
How can one ruler during his times in rule take a nation from an ok economy to recession?The man defies all adjectives to describe his own level of incompetence,talkless of the stone aged nepotism.
The agenda of Buhari is simple and people are unfortunately not seeing it,even as it stares them in the face:populate all major establishments,ministries with northerners so much that even 50 years of uninterrupted southern presidency cannot undo.
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by dat9jaguy(m): 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2020
Continuation :

Search
Browse by theme
Browse by region
Browse by type
About us
Advanced Search
Become a member
Contact
Investigations
Newsletter
Podcast
Syndication
What's happened to IRIN
What's new
Close Menu
Aid and Policy

Conflict

Environment and Disasters

Migration

About us
Home
Africa
West Africa
Nigeria
Migration Feature 12 December 2013
Updated timeline of Boko Haram attacks and related violence
Church in Maiduguri, northern Nigeria, attacked in inter-faith violence
Church in Maiduguri, Nigeria, attacked in inter-faith violence (Jan 2012) (Obinna Anyadike/IRIN)
In-depth
Boko Haram This article is part of our in-depth coverage. Read more like this...
DAKAR
Despite a fierce crackdown on insurgent group Boko Haram by Nigerian security forces, violence in northeastern Nigeria has not abated. Over 100 people have been killed in attacks in recent weeks, and some fear the violence will only worsen as the 2015 elections approach. Thousands of troops have been fighting Boko Haram in the north since President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in May 2013. Rights groups have accused all involved - Boko Haram, the government’s Joint Task Force and civilian vigilante groups - of carrying out human rights abuses, putting civilians at risk of violence from all sides.

19 November 2013: Troops kill two BH gunmen and recover arms during a raid on a hideout in the Gayawa area of Kano. The raid follows the earlier arrest of two armed BH members at a checkpoint in neighbouring Katsina State. Maiduguri residents nab a teenager spying for BH in the city. The Nigeria Defence Acadamy says it is modifying its training in response to Nigeria’s security challenges, especially BH militancy. Gunmen kill a police officer and injure another in an attack on a police station in Kwami District of Gombe State.

18 November 2013: French hostage Francis Collomp arrives in Paris after escaping his Ansaru captors.

16 November 2013: Collomp escapes from his Ansaru captors in the northern Nigerian city of Zaria. Collomp, a 63-year-old wind-energy engineer, was kidnapped on 19 December 2012 in northern Nigeria’s Katsina State. The Nigerian military says it has killed 20 BH gunmen in a raid on a BH camp in Bita Village, Borno State, which the insurgents were using to launch deadly attacks on nearby villages. Scores of BH vehicles and motorcycles were destroyed in the raid. Nigeria's military says it is ready for air strikes against BH Islamists as several thousand troops move to the remote northeast to retake territory seized by the insurgents.

15 November 2013: Nigerian troops kill nine BH members in a gunfight in the Damboa area of Borno State, near the border with Cameroon; a soldier is injured in the incident. Soldiers destroy two BH vans and recover ammunitions in the attack. A BH source confirms the group is behind the kidnap of a French priest in Cameroon, near the border with Nigeria. A Nigerian federal high court sentences BH member Umaru Mustapha to life for the bombing of a complex housing several newspaper offices in Kaduna, killing four people.

13 November 2013: The US designates BH and Ansaru as terror groups. The UN releases a report saying 37,000 people, including 29,000 Niger nationals, have fled northeast Nigeria into neighbouring Niger since the military began its sweeping offensive against BH on 15 May. Gunmen riding on motorcycles kidnap a French Catholic priest from his parish in the Cameroonian village of Nguetchewe, 10km from the Nigerian border. The 15 gunmen cross into Nigeria, and Cameroon authorities blame BH.

9 November 2013: Five BH insurgents and two soldiers are killed in shootouts during raids on two BH hideouts in Kano, following Intel reports that gunmen were planning suicide attacks in Kano and Nigeria’s capital, Abuja.

7 November 2013: The Nigerian senate approves the president’s request for a six-month extension of emergency rule in three northeastern states.

6 November 2013: The president seeks lawmakers’ approval of a six-month extension of the state of emergency in three northeastern states.

5 November 2013: The Nigerian army says it killed seven BH insurgents and injured several others in raids on BH camps in Bama District, Borno State. Nigeria’s presidential dialogue and reconciliation committee on BH submits its report, with the committee’s head saying BH wants dialogue. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Cécile Pouilly says BH could be guilty of crimes against humanity.

4 November 2013: Dozens of BH gunmen on motorcycles and in pickups kill 27 people and burn down 300 homes in a raid on Bama, a town in northeast Borno State. Twelve people are injured in the raid, according to a local official.

3 November 2013: A BH attack on a wedding convoy kills more than 30 people, including the groom, along Bama-Banki highway, while the convoy is returning from Michika in neighbouring Adamawa State. In a video, BH leader Abubakar Shekau claims responsibility for the 24 October attack on a military base and police facilities in Damaturu.

31 October 2013: BH gunmen kill 13 passengers in an ambush on a commercial bus in Bama District.

29 October 2013: The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) urges Cameroonian authorities not to expel Nigerians who fled to Cameroon to escape fighting between BH and Nigerian soldiers.

26 October 2013: The Nigerian military says it killed 95 BH insurgents in two days of air-and-ground raids on BH camps in northern Borno State.

24 October 2013: BH gunmen in military uniform launch coordinated attacks on a military barracks and four police facilities in Yobe State capital Damaturu. Scores are killed, including 35 men in army uniform. It is not clear if the 35 are BH gunmen or Nigerian soldiers.

22 October 2013: Nigeria's military says it killed 37 suspected BH fighters during an air-and-ground assault on an insurgent camp in the northern Borno State.

21 October 2013: The Nigerian military says it has commenced a massive recruitment to tackle the country’s security challenges.

15 October 2013: Nigeria's military says it repelled three coordinated attacks by BH gunmen in the towns of Bama, Gwoza and Pulka on 12 October, killing 40 insurgents. Amnesty International issues a report saying 950 people suspected of having links to BH have died in custody in the past six months, claiming prisoners have been suffocated, starved and subjected to extra-judicial killings in the army-led operation in the country's northeast.

9 October 2013: Troops destroy a BH hideout used for making improvised explosives. They recover explosives, including a suicide pack intended for attacks in the northern city of Kano during the Muslim Eid celebration. One suspected BH member is killed in the raid.

7 October 2013: The military says it has killed 30 BH insurgents and recovers a huge arms cache in air-and-ground raids on BH camps in Damboa District, Borno State.

4 October 2013: Amnesty International says in a report that school attacks in northeast Nigeria have forced thousands to abandon their educations. The lives of at least 70 teachers and scores of pupils have been claimed in these attacks.

3 October 2013: Military sources in Niger say "armed bandits" killed a Niger soldier and seriously wounded three others in northeast Nigeria on 2 October. The soldiers were part of a three-nation West African force combating trans-border crime, including BH violence.

28 September 2013: BH gunmen open fire in a dormitory at the College of Agriculture, in the town of Gujba in Yobe State, while students are asleep. Forty students are killed.

27 September 2013: BH splinter group Ansaru releases an online video of a French national kidnapped on 19 December 2012 in northern Nigeria’s Katsina State. The video shows 63-year-old engineer Francis Collomp calling for negotiations for his safe release.

25 September 2013: Gunmen kill a priest and two children in an attack on a church in Dorawa Village, in northeastern Yobe State, burning the church and two nearby houses. BH's leader, Abubakar Shekau, appears in new video claiming responsibility for several attacks and mocking the 19 August 2013 military claim that he may have been killed. The Nigerian army says it is trying to verify the authenticity of the video.

24 September 2013: Nigeria's human rights commission says it is investigating allegations that security agents shot dead eight unarmed squatters in the capital Abuja under the guise of fighting BH insurgents.

20 September 2013: BH gunmen attack Bulabulin Ngaura Village, outside Maiduguri, killing 14 residents.

19 September 2013: Security operatives shoot dead eight squatters in an incomplete building during a raid to apprehend suspected BH members, near a residence for lawmakers in Abuja. The security agents claim they came under gunfire from the squatters, a claim the squatters - who are mostly artisans and labourers - refute. Gunmen kill eight people, including three police escorts, and rob a bullion van filled with cash near the town of Damboa.

18 September 2013: Some 150 BH insurgents are killed in coordinated raids on BH camps in Kafiya Forest in Borno State. The dead include Abba Goroma, a wanted BH commander with a 10 million naira bounty on his head. Sixteen soldiers are killed in the fight, with nine others missing.

17 September 2013: BH gunmen kill 142 people and burn dozens of homes in coordinated attacks on the town of Benisheikh in Borno State. BH gunmen dressed in military uniform use assault rifles, rocket launchers and anti-aircraft weapons in the attacks.

15 September 2013: Suspected BH gunmen attack a meeting of a local vigilante group in the town of Gamboru Ngala, in Borno State, on the border with Cameroon. They kill 17 people, including the vigilante leader and a local chief supporting them.

14 September 2013: Vigilantes from the town of Biu in Borno State kill four BH members who fled to Michika in neighbouring Adamawa State during a raid. Seven other sect members are arrested in the raid. A policeman shoots dead a vigilante following an argument over a traffic infraction, leading to street protest by vigilantes.

11 September 2013: Gunmen with explosives and rocket-propelled grenades attack a police station in Ga’anda Village in northeast Adamawa State, killing two officers and injuring another. The police station is burned in the attack.

10 September 2013: Nigerian troops kill 10 BH gunmen after launching an air strike in the Konduga area of Borno State in which two BH camps are destroyed.

8 September 2013: Seventeen vigilantes, dubbed “Civilian JTF”, are killed and 18 injured in a fight with BH gunmen attacking Benisheik town, 72km from Maiduguri. Five BH gunmen are also killed in the fight.

7 September 2013: BH gunmen kill five residents on their way to mosque in Bulabulin Ngaura Village, 35km from Maiduguri.

6 September 2013: Nigeria's military says it had killed 50 BH insurgents in northeastern Borno State in an air-and-ground assault launched in response to the BH attack on a local market.

5 September 2013: BH gunmen dressed as traders open fire on a market in the town of Gajiran, 85km from Maiduguri, killing 15 people.

31 August 2013: BH gunmen kill 12 nomads who storm Boko Harma’s hideout to avenge the killing of two herders killed by the insurgents following a previous attack on Yaguwa Village in Damboa District of Borno State. BH gunmen disguised as soldiers shoot dead 24 vigilantes, who were combing Monguno Forest in Borno State in search of the insurgents.

28 August 2013: A Nigerian court orders a man accused of being a member of the Al-Qaeda affiliate in Yemen, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), to be extradited to the US. He was allegedly sent to Nigeria to find English-speaking recruits. The suspect, identified as Lawal Olaniyi Babafemi, also known as "Abdullah" or "Ayatollah Mustapha”, has been indicted on four charges in the US, including the charge of supporting a foreign terrorist group.

23 August 2013: Nigeria says it has deported some 22,000 improperly documented or undocumented immigrants from neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon over two months as part of a crackdown linked to its fight against the BH insurgency.

21 August 2013: Seven BH insurgents and two policemen are killed in shootout following an attack on a police station in the town of Gwoza, Borno State. BH gunmen kill four residents and injure eight others in an attack on Gamboru Ngala town on the border with Cameroon.

19 August 2013: The Nigerian military says in a statement that BH leader Abubakar Shekau may have died from a gunshot wound after a clash with soldiers on 30 June. According to the military, Shekau may have died between 25 July and 3 August 2013, after being taken over the border into Amitchide, Cameroon. The Nigerian military establishes a 7 Division in Maiduguri, which replaces the Joint Task Force that has been fighting BH since 2010.

16 August 2013: BH gunmen open fire on civilians and a police station in Konduga, killing 11 people.

15 August 2013: Before bilateral security talks in Abuja, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman says BH's brutal insurgency has stalled Nigeria's development, inflamed ethnic tensions and raised concern among its neighbours. She says the US is ready to help Nigeria develop a multi-faceted strategy to contain the violence, but warns that a military crackdown alone is not enough. The military says Shekau’s deputy, Momodu Bama, and his father are among the 32 insurgents killed during a 4 August insurgent attack in the northeast.

12 August 2013: BH leader Abubakar Shekau appears in video taunting world leaders and vowing to defeat Nigerian authorities.

11 August 2013: BH gunmen storm a mosque and open fire on worshippers just before morning prayers, killing 44 people. It accuses the community of cooperating with soldiers in the arrest of sect members, prompting an exodus of residents from the town.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by Okoroawusa: 4:40pm On Dec 29, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Those years were the years of locust.

Thank you for reminding children where we are coming from.
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by humilitypays(m): 4:50pm On Dec 29, 2020
it does not matter
Re: What Reverend Kukah Said When PDP And A Christian Was In Power. by aminusodiq(m): 5:38pm On Dec 29, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

mumu drop the names grin forget the stats.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News!! New Poll Put Obi In Commanding Lead In The NC, SS, SE / Alleged True Account Of What Happened During Okuoma Killings (video/pictures) / Ait On Babangida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.