Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? (10958 Views)

Monopoly Products In The Nigerian Food Market / Nigerian Food (Pictures Only) / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by MP007(m): 4:44am On Jul 02, 2007
Just wanna know if folks in yankee here stil eat nigerian food cos most nigerians that i know kinda hate nigerian food stuff, i stil dey chop ma eba and garri for tx , iya won
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by GNature(m): 4:46am On Jul 02, 2007
absolutely.

MP007:

most nigerians that i know kind of hate nigerian food stuff

Really ? That's really weird. All the Nigerians I know here can't get enough of Nigerian food.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by MP007(m): 4:48am On Jul 02, 2007
see wahala oo, no mind dem jare, they are now used to burgers and the rest,
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by ikamefa(f): 4:54am On Jul 02, 2007
used to pig- out on buggers ,fries, pizzas

now i cant even stand the taste of such junk food

cant remember the last time i ate a burger or drank soda

na correct eba or iyan with ogbono or egusi soup with correct fruit juice cheesy

or jollof rice ,plantain and smoked turkey oh " grin "
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by rikkyjen(m): 4:57am On Jul 02, 2007
or jollof rice ,plantain and smoked turkey oh "

Shoot! I even think say na only me like smoked Turkey! Thats the only thing someone can use to kidnap me grin grin. Try it with efo riro. shoot and ur story shall never be thesame again. hehehe grin
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by nguage(m): 5:01am On Jul 02, 2007
errday.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by ikamefa(f): 5:02am On Jul 02, 2007
rikkyjen:

Shoot! I even think say na only me like smoked Turkey! Thats the only thing someone can use to kidnap me grin grin. Try it with efo riro. shoot and your story shall never be thesame again. hehehe grin

shocked shocked u be winch? cheesy

LMAO every Wednesday like clock work that is what i cook, i cook [b]it [/b]with efo riro oh

trust my peeps grin before i wake up the next day

dem don chop am finish cheesy cheesy
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by MP007(m): 5:05am On Jul 02, 2007
FOR REAL, i get this african resurant for dallas (iya seun), dey bracnh that joint every friday, iya won!
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by omogenaija(f): 5:44am On Jul 02, 2007
i eat it sometimes , but i prefer chinese food lipsrsealed

even though i dont eat it i can still throw down in the kitchen
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by PTBNaija(f): 8:04pm On Jul 02, 2007
Eat it daily, and cook as well!
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by Spice4luv(f): 12:57am On Mar 26, 2008
I could not eat naija food since I came cos I don't know where to buy them, pls can anyone tell me where to buy naija food like Egusi, garri,Fufu e.t.c. I am in Miami Florida. Thanks
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by Nobody: 4:23am On Mar 26, 2008
Yes, everyday. I can't eat American food, most looks more like snacks.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:20pm On Mar 26, 2008
I sure do, and I would not have it any other way. cool
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by naijadiva2(f): 11:09pm On Mar 29, 2008
stillwater:

Yes, everyday. I can't eat American food, most looks more like snacks.

so true.

I eat nigerian food only because i have to eat whatever my parents cook but i don't have a problem with it though. American foods are very simple so sometimes they tend to lack flavor.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by 4Play(m): 11:16pm On Mar 29, 2008
ikamefa:

used to pig- out on buggers ,fries, pizzas

now i can't even stand the taste of such junk food

can't remember the last time i ate a burger or drank soda

na correct eba or iyan with ogbono or[b] egusi[/b] soup with correct fruit juice cheesy

or jollof rice ,plantain and smoked turkey oh " grin "

I suppose get T-shirt with "I love Egusi" written on it. My egusi recipe na the best! . I dey cook correct egusi,better than yours. grin
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 2:01pm On Mar 30, 2008
Spice4luv:

I could not eat naija food since I came because I don't know where to buy them, please can anyone tell me where to buy naija food like Egusi, garri,Fufu e.t.c. I am in Miami Florida. Thanks

According to my google, I researched myself finding any Nigerian food stores anywhere in the USA. None of them are found in the USA, ONLY ORDER ONLINE FROM UK to import Nigerian food ingredients entering to the USA that make me pondering why can't American-Nigerian establish their own Nigerian food stores at the most Nigerian population states in the USA that will be target toward Nigerian customers.

Go getting FREE CONSULTANT of Small Business Administration (US government) to help you how to get start your own business FOR FREE!!! (usually those consultants are volunteered experienced small food store owners who is willing to help potential new food store owner as mentor helping step by step how to start small business)

Just like many Chinese/Japanese, Spanish, Jewish, Ethiopian, Italian, German, Jamaica/Caribbean business owners running their own speciality food store themselves (family-business generation to pass to next generation to keep stores running smoothly).

@Spice4Luv

According to the google, i found somewhere to recommend you going to CARRIBEAN/JAMAICA food stores that you will find many similar ingredients for NIGERIAN foods. Because Caribbean/Jamaica is the AFRICAN DESCENT, most of those Caribbean/Jamaica people have speaking mixed Yoruba pidgin and Patois/Patwa pidgin at their motherland (Jamaica/Caribbean).

I believe for New York, Maryland and Washington DC has Ethiopia food stores you should have no problem finding the similar ingredients for Nigerian foods, am I right? Because Ethiopia can import their own Ethiopia foods entering to the USA while Nigeria were forbidden. Don't ask me WHY? WHY?

I myself am not a NIGERIAN, but US citizen-born!!! The main reason I am doing this is because i was planned to learn how to cook Nigerian food after printing out 3 pages of REAL NIGERIA FOOD RECEIPES I found from google in order to host my first time Nigerian who planned to come to the USA with granted 3 months US visa last year. It was advise me going Caribbean/Jamaica food store to find the similiar ingredients for Naija foods.

Unfortunately the plan does not work well! I keep my NIGERIA FOOD RECEIPES in a storage as my future reference.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 2:24pm On Mar 30, 2008
I am sure you plan to ask me why choosing Ethiopia food stores to get similar ingredients for Nigerian foods.

Because last year in Washington DC, my New York-born male friend who resides in DC took me out for exotic dining I liked to try out myself. He was the one introduced me entering Ethiopian restaurant that find me interesting to eat.

It was so delicious with Authentic Ethiopian food! Wow! I also fancied with all waitress/waiters---all American-Ethiopian physical looks I never seen HOW BEAUTIFUL they are.

It was located in Adam Morgan area in Washington DC---very popular international diversely suburban nearby few popular universities---easily accessible to just like Greenwich in NY.

I wish for my rural hometown, it need more African residents to live there to break their misconceptions about Africa. I am tired of seeing too many Mexican everywhere in my rural town, WHERE ARE AFRICAN ones?

My rural hometown has only 11,000 population with approxiate 800 business---35 miles southwest driving distance from major big city. (Famous Slavery/Civil War battlefield historial tourism) It is also 3 hours driving to Washington DC. It has no public transportation---bus, taxi, subway/rail/train between rural town and major city----most of us rural residents are commuting their own cars to major city for jobs round trip 70 miles in 5 days a week, not bad for them.

Low crime rates but heavy on domestic violence arise because of isolated rural town that make lot of youth/teenagers feel boring to death to hurry up graduating high school to get out of there. Majority residents are elderly and retired professionals---relaxed quiet environment.

1 Like

Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by iice(f): 2:39pm On Mar 30, 2008
uspry. . .can i ask a favor?
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 4:41pm On Mar 30, 2008
@iice

Mail: remove
YIM:remove
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by iice(f): 4:44pm On Mar 30, 2008
Thanks uspry. . .u'll get a buzz now. . .
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by Stanozcom(m): 1:00am On Mar 31, 2008
Nigerians never stop talking about Nigerian food! grin

Y'all make me SO proud! cheesy
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 3:01am On Mar 31, 2008
Stanoz.com:

Sorry to barge in like this. . .

But I want to ask usupry1 a question.

Why is there no contact information on you anywhere on Nairaland?

I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. . .
But there just seems to be no means of reaching you . . . save, er, this.

Sorry, but I just had to do it.

I guess I'm going to modify this post after you contact me via email.

Not to worry; you'll find me, programmer.

@Stanoz.com

The reason why is there no contact information on me anywhere on Nairaland is because of disrespectful new NL members, who has 1 post, popped-up me via my YIM that was displayed on my NL profile almost everyday. I removed it on Jan. 2008 as new year began.

If you have couple of questions to ask me, then why don't you post here or at Uspry1's Chat Line on Nairaland under Offtopic section.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 2:35am On Apr 24, 2008
Anyone has succeeded finding any Nigerian food to buy in the USA as I suggest above mentioned.

Hope you find one by now!!!
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by iyamide: 3:31pm On May 04, 2008
i think nigeian food is d best thing dat can eva happen 2 a person.y not try it and see.although,i've not travelled out of d country,i'm still tryin 2.i know i will neva wnt 2 miss d nigerian food over there.chaooooo
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by motunrayo4(f): 3:34pm On May 04, 2008
I LOVE Nigerian food and I eat it everyday. If I dont have my iyan, or amala, or eba I dont know what will happen. i'm going to Naija soon and everynight i dream about all the food that Im going to stuff my face with. . . . I cant wait mmmmmmmmm
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by minto(m): 3:35pm On May 04, 2008
4 Play:

I suppose get T-shirt with "I love Egusi" written on it. My egusi recipe na the best! . I dey cook correct egusi,better than yours. grin

As much as I love eating what we call pounded yam here with egusi soup, I cant prepare the egusi soup myself.
Can someone please come up with detailed process of making delicious egusi mixed with vegetables.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by aloib(f): 3:41pm On May 04, 2008
for minto
250g 8oz fresh beef chucks
500g / llb bushmeat
500g / lib stockfish (pre-soaked)
500g / lib smoked dry fish
250g / 8oz oxtail
250g / 8oz cleaned tripe
2pt stock or water
300g /100z ground egusi
500g lib fresh tomatoes
250g / 8oz fresh peppers
2 large onion
teaspoons iru
4 tablespoon ground crayfish
500g.llb fresh bitter leaf (washed to remove excessive bitterness)
salt to taste

Wash thoroughly the beef oxtail bushmeat and tripe. Place a large pot with sliced onions season with salt add a drop of water or stock and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.

Add the washed dry fish and stockfish and cook for another 10 minutes. When cooked mm into a large clean bowl. Wipe out the pot and place back on heat. Pour the oil into the pot when hot add the ground tomatoes onions and peppers and fry for 10 minutes. Add the ground egusi and iru stirring thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes. Finally add cooked meats washed bitter leaf Crayfish and the stock. Allow to boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot with any of the stiff puddings.

VARIATIONS
Others green leaf vegetables such as fresh waterleaf Soko Tete. Igbo ugwu and Uzouza leaves can also be used on their own or as a combination m the above recipe using the same methods.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by minto(m): 4:36am On May 06, 2008
Thanks so very much aloib. Now I know why 'the man' won't stop loving you; at least one of the reasons is no longer hidden.  grin  I'll definitely try it out this weekend even if I can't get all that you have on that list, I'll make do with what I can lay my hands on. You wunnna come over for lunch? wink
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by minto(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2008
Helloooo, who's in the house. i've just finished cooking my 'egusi' soup, couldn't get some of the stuffs on the list, I just made do with what I got but believe me, egusi soup couldn't taste better. I just called a friend over now for 'iyan' lunch; you too can join us if you don't mind cool grin.Thanks once again aloib. kiss
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by SeanT21(f): 3:45pm On May 12, 2008
i dont know about nigeria food stores but Liberian food stores are everywhere in america. While in america, i have never come across a nigerian that actually eats nigerian food. A nigerina friend of mine said he was never going back to nigeria fro some reason.

uspry1:

I am sure you plan to ask me why choosing Ethiopia food stores to get similar ingredients for Nigerian foods.

Because last year in Washington DC, my New York-born male friend who resides in DC took me out for exotic dining I liked to try out myself. He was the one introduced me entering Ethiopian restaurant that find me interesting to eat.

It was so delicious with Authentic Ethiopian food! Wow! I also fancied with all waitress/waiters---all American-Ethiopian physical looks I never seen HOW BEAUTIFUL they are.

It was located in Adam Morgan area in Washington DC---very popular international diversely suburban nearby few popular universities---easily accessible to just like Greenwich in NY.

I wish for my rural hometown, it need more African residents to live there to break their misconceptions about Africa. I am tired of seeing too many Mexican everywhere in my rural town, WHERE ARE AFRICAN ones?

My rural hometown has only 11,000 population with approxiate 800 business---35 miles southwest driving distance from major big city. (Famous Slavery/Civil War battlefield historial tourism) It is also 3 hours driving to Washington DC. It has no public transportation---bus, taxi, subway/rail/train between rural town and major city----most of us rural residents are commuting their own cars to major city for jobs round trip 70 miles in 5 days a week, not bad for them.

Low crime rates but heavy on domestic violence arise because of isolated rural town that make lot of youth/teenagers feel boring to death to hurry up graduating high school to get out of there. Majority residents are elderly and retired professionals---relaxed quiet environment.

what state do you live in Maryland or Virginia. I use to live in maryland and i have never seen a nigeria food store, only ghanian and liberian.

American food are not all snacks. Have you eaten turkey, fried chicken with Mac and Cheese, Collard Greens, Salad with dressing, Soul food,Tacos and Burritos, you must live on the wrong side of america.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by uspry1(f): 4:09pm On May 12, 2008
SeanT21:

i don't know about nigeria food stores but Liberian food stores are everywhere in america. While in america, i have never come across a nigerian that actually eats nigerian food. A nigerina friend of mine said he was never going back to nigeria fro some reason.

what state do you live in Maryland or Virginia. I use to live in maryland and i have never seen a nigeria food store, only ghanian and liberian.

American food are not all snacks. Have you eaten turkey, fried chicken with Mac and Cheese, Collard Greens, Salad with dressing, Soul food,Tacos and Burritos, you must live on the wrong side of america.

Yeah, Ghanaian, Liberian, and many other African food stores are everywhere in both state Virginia and Maryland! Only Nigerian food stores are not found anywhere.

According to the author of Carribean cookbook where I found from google, she created all recipes marked "bold content" of book page stated that those recipes are come from Nigeria, you can buy all Nigerian ingredients at any Carribean food store in the USA. It does not say it found in Virginia or Maryland.

I will not answer which state I live in. By the way in my university alma mater in Washington DC, there were largest number of deaf black students are from Africa- - -most West Africa, East Africa, and South Africa. They all were clingy together all through their undergraduates/graduates studies earning either Bachelor/Master/PhD degrees to return their motherland in order to establish their own business or deaf advocate helping other deaf Africans.

They (deaf Africans) were the ones has STRONG VOICES about fighting against the human rights of deaf African at their motherland on our university blog/newsletter/e-letter VERY POWERFULLY.

I am myself neither Nigerian/African nor live in Nigeria/Africa, but I am black American. I eat American food, Italian food, Chinese food, Ethiopia food, and German Food I love any exotic foods. I will someday to visit Africa.

All Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC are the largest multi-cultural diversity everywhere I bump into different people with different races, ethnic, and nationality.
Re: Do U Stil Eat Nigerian Food In Yankee? by SeanT21(f): 4:25pm On May 12, 2008
uspry1:

Yeah, Ghanaian, Liberian, and many other African food stores are everywhere in both state Virginia and Maryland! Only Nigerian food stores are not found anywhere.

According to the author of Carribean cookbook where I found from google, she created all recipes marked "bold content" of book page stated that those recipes are come from Nigeria, you can buy all Nigerian ingredients at any Carribean food store in the USA. It does not say it found in Virginia or Maryland.

I will not answer which state I live in. By the way in my university alma mater in Washington DC, there were largest number of deaf black students are from Africa- - -most West Africa, East Africa, and South Africa. They all were clingy together all through their undergraduates/graduates studies earning either Bachelor/Master/PhD degrees to return their motherland in order to establish their own business or deaf advocate helping other deaf Africans.

They (deaf Africans) were the ones has STRONG VOICES about fighting against the human rights of deaf African at their motherland on our university blog/newsletter/e-letter VERY POWERFULLY.

I am myself neither Nigerian/African nor live in Nigeria/Africa, but I am black American. I eat American food, Italian food, Chinese food, Ethiopia food, and German Food I love any exotic foods. I will someday to visit Africa.

All Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC are the largest multi-cultural diversity everywhere I bump into different people with different races, ethnic, and nationality.

i feel you. when i use to live in MD, my school had nigerians, liberians, seirra leons and alsmost every african people. That school was the best. AMERICA IS DIVERSE, especially if you live in DC, MD or VA.

Why wont tell me what state you live ini promise i wont stalk you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Boyfriend Has Turned Me To A Cook: Could This Be Love? / Recipes I have tried / Three Crowns Milk Unveils ‘Treasure Your Heart’ Campaign For Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.