Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? (2333 Views)

Real Computer Wizards Didnt Study Computer Science / [advice] Do I Need To Study Computer Science To Be A Web Developer? / Top Universities To Study Computer Engineering In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by Deicide: 7:42pm On Jan 06, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
You are to loop through this string below with headers and rows to create a valid Json string. You can use any language you prefer.

"Country\tState\tTown\r\nNigeria\tLagos State\tLagos\r\nUSA\tTexas\tDallas\r\n";

Which should produce the Json result below:

[{
"Country": "Nigeria",
"State": "Lagos State",
"Town": "Lagos"
}, {
"Country": "Nigeria",
"State": "Edo State",
"Town": "Benin City"
}]

You can validate your Json result here: http://jsonlint.com
Na JavaScript work be this one o
Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by EvilSec: 7:55pm On Jan 06, 2021
GiftedTitty:

hmmm i intend to switch to software engineering. dont you think the theoretical aspect as as the practical aspect is important. Plus you made mention of "toy project" in your post does it mean software engineering isn't worth studying.
Let me explain why what we "learn" about software engineering in undergrad is ALMOST, useless.

Even when professors try to make Software Engineering classes more practical by applying active approaches, e.g. simulating a software development team with the students, it is still doomed to fail. This is basically because the environment is so artificial that the incentives are almost the opposite of what happens in a real scenario.

A soft. team of students in a Software Engineering class aiming to develop a project is a mix of:
1. distributed team
2. low allocation members
3. lack of experienced leaders
4. lack of someone that puts money wanting ROI
5. artificial timeframes
6. lack of money compensation to the team members

1. distributed team
Needless to say that distributed teams are very hard to coordinate even in real soft. projects. when we mix it with item 2 and 3 (low allocation members and lack of experienced leaders), we have the recipe of failure.

2. low allocation members
students have to reconcile the SE class project with activities of many other disciplines. they are far from full time, or even part time dedicated to the project.

3. lack of experienced leaders
in a real soft. project (at least the ones who have chance of achieve their goals) the teams are NOT composed by interns only. there are members with diverse levels of experience, with very experienced leaders guiding the project.

4. lack of someone that puts money wanting ROI
in a real project, a client or an investor put money to pay for the project and for sure will put pressure to have a return on the investment. if a SE class project fail, nobody suffers too much due to this. so, who cares?

5. artificial timeframes
projects' sprints and scope have to be artificially short to accommodate in the semester. needless to say that no good thing can emerge with such kind of artificial restrictions.

6. lack of money compensation to the team members
if the students don't deliver the soft., they will not lose their jobs, have a salary cut, lose a promotion, or suffer any damage to their reputation as professionals. again, who cares?

After all that, one could argue that the goal with a Software Engineering class is NOT necessarily deliver a working software, but instead just to learn the concepts of Software Engineering that once applied will support devs on developing a successful software project.

In the end, the usefulness of SE classes seems to hold only when students, once becoming pros, face a problem in a real project and hopefully remember some keywords related to that problem, so that helps guiding them in studying techniques to finally make that knowledge alive.

Cheers xD.

1 Like

Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 06, 2021
Deicide:
Na JavaScript work be this one o

Any programming language can do the job. This is what is taught in Computer Science Algorithms i.e. how to analyse a problem and come up with the best solution.
Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by Deicide: 1:12am On Jan 07, 2021
ThePlainTruth:

Any programming language can do the job. This is what is taught in Computer Science Algorithms i.e. how to analyse a problem and come up with the best solution.
You misunderstood me. What I meant was it'll be easier to do it in JavaScript
Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 07, 2021
Deicide:
You misunderstood me. What I meant was it'll be easier to do it in JavaScript
No problem
Re: Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? by Hotspotbro(m): 9:20am On Mar 24, 2021
am even working on a small tool of mine written in python. i want to name it Xworker
but am still writing CLIs for it

(1) (2) (Reply)

My MERN Stack Ecommerce Web Application / The Tech Bro Pandemic ! They Are So Annoying ! / My Experience On A Software Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.