Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,661 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Brainstorm With Me - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Brainstorm With Me (6008 Views)

Agroscientists Let Us Brainstorm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2021
abouzaid:
good day, please,I am a beginner farmer trying cassava production this year on two plots,if everything goes well, I intend to go up to fourteen plots next year, my major problem is getting a reliable labourer, please, can you help me with information concerning handheld tractors and power tillers? I'm hoping of getting a power tiller next year that creates ridges as it tills the ground instead of a full fledged hand held tractor since that is the only operation required in cassava cultivation.
To use hand held, you must first remove all stumps. It must be clean without stumps. Hand held are not that strong except two brands I know and they arent Chinese's. One is American and the other is Italian. Still, you cannot just use hand held where you have stumps. If I was to used hand held, I would first pay normal tractor to do first plough. Then use my hand held for finishing......making beds, sowing.....laying mulch....bla bla bla. Otherwise, you will over work your small machine. Of course, having it is invaluable. It will make life so easy. And it is better you learn to use it yourself instead of asking workers use it. They will destroy it in a short time. This is from my experience.

Until farming is lucrative and the salary is well paid we get to start seeing responsible workers on farm. So, for now, if you cant use it yourself as a small scale farmer, forget it.

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by Chioma99(f): 12:25am On Apr 05, 2021
ekerensima:

Local man is confused!! how can I help cus Iyam not understanding you
lol, never mind sir
we are still in the period of Easter and i ate alot today
i just don't know if i can even sleep this night
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Chioma99(f): 12:33am On Apr 05, 2021
Attit:

To use hand held, you must first remove all stumps. It must be clean without stumps. Hand held are not that strong except two brands I know and they arent Chinese's. One is American and the other is Italian. Still, you cannot just use hand held where you have stumps. If I was to used hand held, I would first pay normal tractor to do first plough. Then use my hand held for finishing......making beds, sowing.....laying mulch....bla bla bla. Otherwise, you will over work your small machine. Of course, having it is invaluable. It will make life so easy. And it is better you learn to use it yourself instead of asking workers use it. They will destroy it in a short time. This is from my experience.

Until farming is lucrative and the salary is well paid we get to start seeing responsible workers on farm. So, for now, if you cant use it yourself as a small scale farmer, forget it.

attit please can i help pour out the knowledge i have in good agricultural practises

i can help teach your students how to recuperate and run a good infrastructure on agric related business whereby they can recoup more on profits

so many people lack agric knowledge but i can show them easy ways to get results from farming even though they can only employ farm managers

Mr attit you need to know you are my mentor and i hope we work together soon in the future

i don't just know why i cant even sleep this night even after several hours of chatting on Facebook

maybe i will even drink hot tea this midnight to relax my brains because it seems i need good rest and a lovely night sleep
Re: Brainstorm With Me by abouzaid: 6:39am On Apr 05, 2021
Attit:

thanks for the invaluable insights, I'll try to stick to them as much as possible, my trial farm this year would be manually and organically done, I'll quote you once i open the thread.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by abouzaid: 6:42am On Apr 05, 2021
Chioma99:

attit please can i help pour out the knowledge i have in good agricultural practises

i can help teach your students how to recuperate and run a good infrastructure on agric related business whereby they can recoup more on profits

so many people lack agric knowledge but i can show them easy ways to get results from farming even though they can only employ farm managers

Mr attit you need to know you are my mentor and i hope we work together soon in the future

i don't just know why i cant even sleep this night even after several hours of chatting on Facebook

maybe i will even drink hot tea this midnight to relax my brains because it seems i need good rest and a lovely night sleep
lol, you need me to sleep well tonight.

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by Chioma99(f): 7:21am On Apr 05, 2021
abouzaid:
lol, you need me to sleep well tonight.

lolz
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 05, 2021
Attit:

Glyphosate works without rain. Spray in the evening and wait for 1 week and everything turns brown gradually. It should not be sprayed in rain. So you are lucky there is no rain. Good luck bro!
thanks bro, the grasses already look dead, that's my fear
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 9:02am On Apr 06, 2021
ekerensima:

thanks bro, the grasses already look dead, that's my fear
Are the grasses your desired crop? What exactly are you trying to do?
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 07, 2021
Attit:

Are the grasses your desired crop? What exactly are you trying to do?

the boss nor mind me oooo I dey over think osmosis. I don spray Sha, final lap na tomorrow
Re: Brainstorm With Me by abouzaid: 7:32am On Apr 11, 2021
Attit:

please, can we go into joint venture whereby,I rent land and you manage any crop of your choice on it for a percentage of the profit ?
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 11:50am On Apr 11, 2021
abouzaid:
good day, please,I am a beginner farmer trying cassava production this year on two plots,if everything goes well, I intend to go up to fourteen plots next year, my major problem is getting a reliable labourer, please, can you help me with information concerning handheld tractors and power tillers? I'm hoping of getting a power tiller next year that creates ridges as it tills the ground instead of a full fledged hand held tractor since that is the only operation required in cassava cultivation.

abouzaid:
please, can we go into joint venture whereby,I rent land and you manage any crop of your choice on it for a percentage of the profit ?
Hmmm!

So, you want me to solve labour, land clearing, install everything, manage it, and you come to take % of the profit. You arent even the owner of the land. What stops me from renting one myself?

Well, a farmland is not a residential housing land. Farm land isn't as valuable as you think. If it is valuable, all the families having farmlands will be extremely rich. They hold the land hoping development will reach the area and they can start selling at extreme high price. Unfortunately, most of them grow old in poverty. And their children pick up the useless hope too. What they need is just some bottles of gin and chicken change in evelope to share round other hungry family members. As long as I do not buy the land, I can lease it for 20 years. All I keep doing is paying token yearly. That's all. You just see it is unwise to buy small land area. Most of the land here on NL for N450k per acre are over priced. Trust me, when I say so. If you know how to penetrate into the families, you will get the land at extremely cheap price when you want yo buy. Those guys here are just hustlers. And I think I prefer even buying at N500k or more per acre than someone else rent it and I work on it. The person who give strategic plan is the real owner of the farm/business. Trust me when I say so. You may try it. And I do not argue with owners of land. They always eventually abandon it. Many are here. They rush to buy land and at the end, the land is there wasting. Lol. Some even will be making heavy demands and commanding like gods because they have just acquired a farmland. Lol. Talk to the person 5 years after and you will just laugh. Lol.

I'm not mocking you, just telling you the truth.

Here is a proposal:

1. Rent or buy a farmland of around 10 ha. I may consider 1 ha if it is close to Lagos, and with very good road network.
2. Clear it and remove all stumps. Better to clear it with earth moving machines. And make sure top soil is not damaged.
3. Fix borehole there or use 2 ha near river side. Most of the time, not more than 2 ha can benefit from nearby river. For the rest of the land, be willing to install boreholes at strategic locations. You may need to use a special scientific procedure to know where to drill.
4. Get pumps and pipes with drip irrigation and sprinklers and fix irrigation round the farm.

When you do the above, I know you are serious. Then, leave the rest, and we can both fix people there to farm excellently. But note: I don't go to all farms I manage. I work remotely online. Then, you will can talk.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by abouzaid: 1:46pm On Apr 11, 2021
Attit:

Hmmm!

So, you want me to solve labour, land clearing, install everything, manage it, and you come to take % of the profit. You arent even the owner of the land. What stops me from renting one myself?

Well, a farmland is not a residential housing land. Farm land isn't as valuable as you think. If it is valuable, all the families having farmlands will be extremely rich. They hold the land hoping development will reach the area and they can start selling at extreme high price. Unfortunately, most of them grow old in poverty. And their children pick up the useless hope too. What they need is just some bottles of gin and chicken change in evelope to share round other hungry family members. As long as I do not buy the land, I can lease it for 20 years. All I keep doing is paying token yearly. That's all. You just see it is unwise to buy small land area. Most of the land here on NL for N450k per acre are over priced. Trust me, when I say so. If you know how to penetrate into the families, you will get the land at extremely cheap price when you want yo buy. Those guys here are just hustlers. And I think I prefer even buying at N500k or more per acre than someone else rent it and I work on it. The person who give strategic plan is the real owner of the farm/business. Trust me when I say so. You may try it. And I do not argue with owners of land. They always eventually abandon it. Many are here. They rush to buy land and at the end, the land is there wasting. Lol. Some even will be making heavy demands and commanding like gods because they have just acquired a farmland. Lol. Talk to the person 5 years after and you will just laugh. Lol.

I'm not mocking you, just telling you the truth.

Here is a proposal:

1. Rent or buy a farmland of around 10 ha. I may consider 1 ha if it is close to Lagos, and with very good road network.
2. Clear it and remove all stumps. Better to clear it with earth moving machines. And make sure top soil is not damaged.
3. Fix borehole there or use 2 ha near river side. Most of the time, not more than 2 ha can benefit from nearby river. For the rest of the land, be willing to install boreholes at strategic locations. You may need to use a special scientific procedure to know where to drill.
4. Get pumps and pipes with drip irrigation and sprinklers and fix irrigation round the farm.

When you do the above, I know you are serious. Then, leave the rest, and we can both fix people there to farm excellently. But note: I don't go to all farms I manage. I work remotely online. Then, you will can talk.

Funny you, I meant that I would provide money for you to rent farm land in acres (we can start small with 5-10 acres),I would provide the funds for you to sponsor all farming operations as the manager and you take a percentage the profits. In summary, I provide the funds, you provide the expertise and we both smile to the bank. NB: I'm based in the east but would work with you any where that you chose.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 3:33pm On Apr 11, 2021
abouzaid:

Funny you, I meant that I would provide money for you to rent farm land in acres (we can start small with 5-10 acres),I would provide the funds for you to sponsor all farming operations as the manager and you take a percentage the profits. In summary, I provide the funds, you provide the expertise and we both smile to the bank. NB: I'm based in the east but would work with you any where that you chose.
I have told you what I do. I don't manage farms for people. I provide strategic plans for success of farms...and I don't go near farms. I can get any farm I want. I actually deal with people who can be their own managers. All I do is guide.

If you have your money, you must have the time to supervise your farm, or you get a reliable manager. All I do is guide. If your manager messes it up, na so a go dey look, and if he does it well...good for you. Well, I prefer to farm in my place if I choose to farm because I know many cannot afford my service. I really think you don't know me well. if you do you will not even propose I come and be your manager at all. I'm sorry, I decline. If you can manage your farm, and you can get workers, or get a manager of yours, you may reach out to me.

God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 6:52am On Apr 25, 2021
I am looking for about 100 - 200 ha in Kaduna where enough water is available with good road network for vegetable farming (personal but a global program). Will expand to 5 times the land area within a short period of time.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 3:08pm On Oct 26, 2021
Can you talk about a sprinkler system for me, I dont like drip as i still subscibe to manual weeding........... I have tried rain gun and I find it hard to cover two plots in a sweep............
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2021
betabread:
Can you talk about a sprinkler system for me, I dont like drip as i still subscibe to manual weeding........... I have tried rain gun and I find it hard to cover two plots in a sweep............

I have actually worked with sprinkler, and it's ok, but you must be very good. Using sprinkler is like rainy season farming. You will have high bacterial, fungi, and viral infection. If you knkw how to tackle diseases, you are good to go.

Another reason you should not consider it is that you will waste water during dry season except you habe massive water around. If not, dont go there. If you are pumping water from underground, it will result in a loss. Better close your eyes and buy drip because the cost of running sprinker if you are pumping from underground with submersible pump is high. There are systems where the water level is close to the ground level and you can use mini mud surface pump.

Rain gun is very good if you buy quality. The ones around I see are bad cos they run with low pressure. To irrigate with sprinkler, the water water spread well. And it doesn't spread with low pressure sprinkler. They tend to concentrate on a particular radius line along the circle. The water is not well diffused. Its is a big problem. The one China makes which spreads well are powered with around 12kva. And do you know what that means? Though, it may cover 1 ha or more. Even there are ones that up to 30kva powers. Is it worth it for a small farm? For me to use that, I include central pivot system and mount the run gun at the end so that it can cover even more area. I'm talking of irrigating 50 to 200 ha at once. It may take 12 hours to cover the whole place. So, if looks like the it actually rain..

If the system is not sophisticated, sprinker does not irrigate deep. So, the micro sprinkler where by you set up like 10 units to cover 1 plot may not irrigate deep. So, they are basically for shallow roots system. However, you can still manage them for tomato and cucumbers. Yield will be low, but it will still work. At least if one is doing dry rain season, it will work. As rain will take over later, and then, whenever there is non, sprinker can come up.

Generally speaking, for small farmers, drip is still ok in my opinion; though, if you are good, you can still use sprinker. If you buy a quality Fri which can last 10 years, you are good to go. You dont even need too much problem managing drip. Very easy and direct.

But if you are doing greens, you have no option than to go for sprinkler (lettuce, local green (local spinach, yoruba and Igbo greens except ugu).

Rain gun can cover even 4 plots. It depends on the size you buy. But it causes erosion like I mentioned above.

I think you should mention the crops you want to use it for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 9:21am On Oct 27, 2021
Attit:

I have actually worked with sprinkler, and it's ok, but you must be very good. Using sprinkler is like rainy season farming. You will have high bacterial, fungi, and viral infection. If you knkw how to tackle diseases, you are good to go.

Another reason you should not consider it is that you will waste water during dry season except you habe massive water around. If not, dont go there. If you are pumping water from underground, it will result in a loss. Better close your eyes and buy drip because the cost of running sprinker if you are pumping from underground with submersible pump is high. There are systems where the water level is close to the ground level and you can use mini mud surface pump.

Rain gun is very good if you buy quality. The ones around I see are bad cos they run with low pressure. To irrigate with sprinkler, the water water spread well. And it doesn't spread with low pressure sprinkler. They tend to concentrate on a particular radius line along the circle. The water is not well diffused. Its is a big problem. The one China makes which spreads well are powered with around 12kva. And do you know what that means? Though, it may cover 1 ha or more. Even there are ones that up to 30kva powers. Is it worth it for a small farm? For me to use that, I include central pivot system and mount the run gun at the end so that it can cover even more area. I'm talking of irrigating 50 to 200 ha at once. It may take 12 hours to cover the whole place. So, if looks like the it actually rain..

If the system is not sophisticated, sprinker does not irrigate deep. So, the micro sprinkler where by you set up like 10 units to cover 1 plot may not irrigate deep. So, they are basically for shallow roots system. However, you can still manage them for tomato and cucumbers. Yield will be low, but it will still work. At least if one is doing dry rain season, it will work. As rain will take over later, and then, whenever there is non, sprinker can come up.

Generally speaking, for small farmers, drip is still ok in my opinion; though, if you are good, you can still use sprinker. If you buy a quality Fri which can last 10 years, you are good to go. You dont even need too much problem managing drip. Very easy and direct.

But if you are doing greens, you have no option than to go for sprinkler (lettuce, local green (local spinach, yoruba and Igbo greens except ugu).

Rain gun can cover even 4 plots. It depends on the size you buy. But it causes erosion like I mentioned above.

I think you should mention the crops you want to use it for.

The cost of pumping water from underground is equivalent to opening a pure water factory.............. I have moved closed to a river and I intend farming corn and pepper................. corn on the clay close to the river and pepper on the sand about 80m from the river

Strictly speaking............. I really want to ask if you have met or seen any rain gun at work that covers more than 1acre
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 10:25am On Oct 27, 2021
betabread:

The cost of pumping water from underground is equivalent to opening a pure water factory.............. I have moved closed to a river and I intend farming corn and pepper................. corn on the clay close to the river and pepper on the sand about 80m from the river

Strictly speaking............. I really want to ask if you have met or seen any rain gun at work that covers more than 1acre

Normal rain gun sold is around 20 to 30 radius water travel distance depending on the force of the pump. You can cover half an acre or more at once. You can divide your farm, and irrigate two times. Since you are doing corn and pepper which don't require much water, you may not irrigate same segment daily. Go and check your pump very well. If you have a good or new pump, carry it there and test. Increase the power of the pump to maximum and reduce it gradually to your satisfaction. You may end up leaving it at max. But I have told you that it will result to erosion. It is not good. But I have told you....I wouldn't use rain gun. It will destroy your pepper seedlings after transplanting, and can remove young corn seedling too.

For super rain gun which covers 45 to 65 or even at time 80 m radius with well dispatched water (actually a mini mist or fog), it can cover above 1 ha at a time.

In summary, normal rain gun can cover 1 acre if you irrigate twice. First, you cover half an acre. Irrigate for 30 mins. Switch to the other half and get the job done.

Even, you have a smaller sprinker which can cover 1/8 or an acre at a time. Split your farm into segments. And irrigate an area today, and tomorrow go to the section you didnt irrigate the previous day. Even it is cucumber which needs water you are doing, skipping a day at times will not kill your plants if you do it well. Feel free to irrigate each segment every other day, but irrigate very well so the whole part you work on will be fully irrigated. When you get there the following morning, the irrigated part the previous day will have enough moisture.

Be strategic with your pepper. I suggest you avoid irrigating late in the evening for pepper if you don't want wahala. Do it in the morning so it can dry. I prefer in the afternoon so it can dry in the evening. Do not irrigate pepper in the evening if you dont want infection to take over your farm. This is the advantage of drip which you can use anytime.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 9:09am On Nov 30, 2021
i got 2 bags per plot of land........Im looking to push it to 12 bags...................The land used has been farmed for years and depleted of nutrients........... I only used poultry manure(albeit wet--- so i cant fully say its 10tonne per acre) at 2-3 weeks and controlled for army worms..... Im yet to get a planter but achieved good population by hand,.........Im about to start 1.5 acre of corn and only plan to sell fresh and in this bags.......... Small if u ask but I want to hit it by feb ending

Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 9:27am On Nov 30, 2021
Most maize seeds are marketed by grain yield.........Im not after grain yield, I'm after Cob-size from extremely high population to fill that sac in an instant......... Secondly, What can i do to start making the second cob on corn Plant big and marketable and also ripen at the same time.....................................Finally, Suggest a good cost effective hybrid that you have tried......

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 9:31am On Nov 30, 2021
how fast does the effect of atrazine wash off from d land...............I noticed that broad leaf weeds become noticable after 2 months, a good thing to me as it signals tomato can be rotated on the land
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 10:43am On Nov 30, 2021
betabread:
how fast does the effect of atrazine wash off from d land...............I noticed that broad leaf weeds become
noticable after 2 months, a good thing to me as it signals tomato can be rotated on the land

Atrazine does not bind well to soil. It stays active for 60-75 days.

If you need more time, cos you need to transplant earlier, or you used another kind of herbicides which last longer, you can dilute with manure. Also, there are special other ways to amend soil. These are all part of soil preparation. But you need manure in all cases to be effective.

betabread:
i got 2 bags per plot of land........Im looking to push it to 12 bags...................The land used has been farmed for years and depleted of nutrients........... I only used poultry manure(albeit wet--- so i cant fully say its 10tonne per acre) at 2-3 weeks and controlled for army worms..... Im yet to get a planter but achieved good population by hand,.........Im about to start 1.5 acre of corn and only plan to sell fresh and in this bags.......... Small if u ask but I want to hit it by feb ending
Nitrogen is what gives you high yield in corn. Learn how to use urea with your manure. Your yield will blow up exponentially.

betabread:
Most maize seeds are marketed by grain yield.........Im not after grain yield, I'm after Cob-size from extremely high population to fill that sac in an instant......... Secondly, What can i do to start making the second cob on corn Plant big and marketable and also ripen at the same time.....................................Finally, Suggest a good cost effective hybrid that you have tried......
If you feed well, and you irrigate well during the time grains are formed, you will get good 2 corns yield. But it also depends on the genetics of the variety. Many corn varieties are GMOs, but there are other ways which have been used which I discussed in my other threads which are better than gene modification directly.

From my experience, late harvest corns give huge cobs. So the question is tha can you wait for 120 days or more before you harvest fresh? And most huge Cobs dont always produce more than one big cob per plant.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 12:07pm On Nov 30, 2021
based on that type of bagging above what is the record yield that you have seen, I still prefer selling my corn this way to waiting oit out to dry for grain
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2021
betabread:
based on that type of bagging above what is the record yield that you have seen, I still prefer selling my corn this way to waiting oit out to dry for grain
If you are using irrigation, I can give you estimation, but not based on your bag. I dont know about it. But if you happen to give me the bag while I am on farm, I can make a good guess, but not here. Sorry.

Make your estimation based of total survival percentage. Your survival rate in a farm without irrigation cannot be predicted accurately, so, I will rather avoid that scenario. I know it is a no go method for me. Since I will NEVER use it, I will rather not talk about it.

I am sure you depended on rain. That I see grown corn plants doesn't mean there are healthy and matured cobs there. So, I cannot make any estimation. It is just way too unprofessional. Please, follow my thread on gambling on farm.

Let's say you use drip, and you can afford 4,500m drip of 30cm emitters, you are sure of having 14,000 stands with good cobs. The quality of cobs you get when you irrigate and fertilize well is better than when you rely on rain. I cannot quantity it at all like this. So the safest way is to use direct cobs sales. Get the amount of the average size of your cob. So, you know that if you habe around 13,500 cobs if you manage your farm well, fertilize well, and prevent against pests and birds. I want to believe that an average fresh corn can go for N30 - N60 wholesale price anywhere. So, you can calculate your sales. This is the best way I can do the estimation here. You too know it depends on the variety also. If minimum of N420,000 is enough sales for 4.5 to 5plots of land, you should go for drip irrigation.
Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 3:49pm On Nov 30, 2021
Attit:

If you are using irrigation, I can give you estimation, but not based on your bag. I dont know about it. But if you happen to give me the bag while I am on farm, I can make a good guess, but not here. Sorry.

Make your estimation based of total survival percentage. Your survival rate in a farm without irrigation cannot be predicted accurately, so, I will rather avoid that scenario. I know it is a no go method for me. Since I will NEVER use it, I will rather not talk about it.

I am sure you depended on rain. That I see grown corn plants doesn't mean there are healthy and matured cobs there. So, I cannot make any estimation. It is just way too unprofessional. Please, follow my thread on gambling on farm.

Let's say you use drip, and you can afford 4,500m drip of 30cm emitters, you are sure of having 14,000 stands with good cobs. The quality of cobs you get when you irrigate and fertilize well is better than when you rely on rain. I cannot quantity it at all like this. So the safest way is to use direct cobs sales. Get the amount of the average size of your cob. So, you know that if you habe around 13,500 cobs if you manage your farm well, fertilize well, and prevent against pests and birds. I want to believe that an average fresh corn can go for N30 - N60 wholesale price anywhere. So, you can calculate your sales. This is the best way I can do the estimation here. You too know it depends on the variety also. If minimum of N420,000 is enough sales for 4.5 to 5plots of land, you should go for drip irrigation.

I understand maize fairly and I'm getting to understand its just a fairly profitable crop , its not a super crop.................Its very hard to make #1m from an acre of maize you have to be a super farmer...... #30 is about the best price for fresh maize in the dry season, I would be extremely happy to get #40...........Really looking forward to a strategy to get #1m from an acre of maize...........(farm gate price)
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 5:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
betabread:

I understand maize fairly and I'm getting to understand its just a fairly profitable crop , its not a super crop.................Its very hard to make #1m from an acre of maize you have to be a super farmer...... #30 is about the best price for fresh maize in the dry season, I would be extremely happy to get #40...........Really looking forward to a strategy to get #1m from an acre of maize...........(farm gate price)
If you use the same specification above I gave you which gives N420,000 sales on 4.5 to 5 plots (less than an acre), you will have 15,000 plants. If you use 20cm emitters, you will have 22,500 plants on the same piece of land. I believe you can have 14,000 plants at the end of the day. From what I know, about 4 cobs of sweet corn make 1kg which you can easily sell at N400. However you have to send it to farm. You must pay for logistics. It's even better. I dont know why you want to do farm Gates price. I think you can easily hit N1.3million to N1.5million sales easily. But you may not be able to sell them all at the same time, so you have to strategize staggered production.

If you want to try this, send me message and I will hook you up with one or two people who can sell your sweet corn. If I tell the person tk reserve you a spot, be assured he will. But make sure you dont fail.

So, go and get drip irrigation and get in touch with me.

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Attit:

If you use the same specification above I gave you which gives N420,000 sales on 4.5 to 5 plots (less than an acre), you will have 15,000 plants. If you use 20cm emitters, you will have 22,500 plants on the same piece of land. I believe you can have 14,000 plants at the end of the day. From what I know, about 4 cobs of sweet corn make 1kg which you can easily sell at N400. However you have to send it to farm. You must pay for logistics. It's even better. I dont know why you want to do farm Gates price. I think you can easily hit N1.3million to N1.5million sales easily. But you may not be able to sell them all at the same time, so you have to strategize staggered production.

If you want to try this, send me message and I will hook you up with one or two people who can sell your sweet corn. If I tell the person tk reserve you a spot, be assured he will. But make sure you dont fail.

So, go and get drip irrigation and get in touch with me.

I have heard so much about this sweet corn but I dont like the market, I want to be able to get 5 or 6 buyers compare prices and go for the one that pays me.................................. I still prefer farm gate prices, the wahala created by various cabals have made me prefer farm gate prices, more over the nature of agricultural goods (very perishable) have made me realise that I have to pass the burden of preservation to someone else.................... Good luck to the buyer, the bulk of those maize is going to be sweetened and sold fresh

To tell you the truth
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 6:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
betabread:

I have heard so much about this sweet corn but I dont like the market, I want to be able to get 5 or 6 buyers compare prices and go for the one that pays me.................................. I still prefer farm gate prices, the wahala created by various cabals have made me prefer farm gate prices, more over the nature of agricultural goods (very perishable) have made me realise that I have to pass the burden of preservation to someone else.................... Good luck to the buyer, the bulk of those maize is going to be sweetened and sold fresh

To tell you the truth
Toy asked me what you can do to achieve 1m on one acre, and I gave you waht can give you 1.5m on 3/4 or an acre, and you are still saying you dont like the market and will compare. Alright oooo. Let there be cabals in market, is it not better than the corn you are doing?

Most markets in Lagos are dictated by demand and supply. There is no cabal there. All you do is pay agent commission and pay for logistics to market. If you are contended with your corn and N300k to N450k per acre, it's ok.

No wahala.

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 8:14pm On Nov 30, 2021
Attit:

Toy asked me what you can do to achieve 1m on one acre, and I gave you waht can give you 1.5m on 3/4 or an acre, and you are still saying you dont like the market and will compare. Alright oooo. Let there be cabals in market, is it not better than the corn you are doing?

Most markets in Lagos are dictated by demand and supply. There is no cabal there. All you do is pay agent commission and pay for logistics to market. If you are contended with your corn and N300k to N450k per acre, it's ok.

No wahala.

Lol
Don’t get me wrong, in this place there s a tradition of doing things that if one goes against, u might find difficult the next farming season such as bypassing already established off takers............ Dats what I meant.......These guys know their onions well........

If I would farm for an established canning facility, I would prefer something like a futures contract that would be binding on both me and the buyer(preferably written) cos I know in the long run most companies don’t like to be tied to farmers themselves, they use the off takers to the farmers disadvantage....

Anyway I talk from the point of view of a small acreage farmer

Pls pardon my indulgence
Re: Brainstorm With Me by Attit: 12:23am On Dec 01, 2021
betabread:

Lol
Don’t get me wrong, in this place there s a tradition of doing things that if one goes against, u might find difficult the next farming season such as bypassing already established off takers............ Dats what I meant.......These guys know their onions well........

If I would farm for an established canning facility, I would prefer something like a futures contract that would be binding on both me and the buyer(preferably written) cos I know in the long run most companies don’t like to be tied to farmers themselves, they use the off takers to the farmers disadvantage....

Anyway I talk from the point of view of a small acreage farmer

Pls pardon my indulgence
Then why ask me about questions you have a stand on? I dont get it.

Well, to the readers, dont be deceived with this post, if you are a small farmer, you will always go for the best price. He mentioned retailing per cob, having the biggest cob instead of grains, and now he is talking about offtakers and future contracts. Is there any correlation? This is why I don't answer some questions here. It's like they try to find faults. You know you have a stand, yet, you keep posting here, asking questions as if you want my opinion. I don't really understand this kind of character. If one slaps him out of this thread, it's going be a war. Just say, you are here to create wahala. And I will avoid you by all means.

Well oga, goodluck. I have nothing much to say, and I will stop responding to your disturbances on my threads. You have an idea of what you want to do. And I know you will never use irrigation because the people doing it there know their coins like you boasted. Yet, you will return again and again to ask how to increase yield, and many things. I'm stopping you here. Stop asking me questions again. Why do you always want to force your opinion on others? If you are bent on not using irrigation, then, let it be. See, I dont want wahala....you have your ideology, and obviously different from mine. I will rather wish you stop posting here again. And if you do, I will ignore you.

You want a future contract but you want to sell in bags. You want a future contract but you dont want to quantify yield in grains but per cob. You want to sell fresh corn by contract. You want them to pay for your cobs instead of grains, and you boldly wrote you want a contract. You are just an internet farmer. That is it. An internet farmer who doesnt know when a farmer is progressive or not. It means you have zero knowledge on it. You even showed that you arent the farmer doing it, yet asking me questions like you are the one. You need to stop your internet farming. Stop questioning me on what you arent practising. I can detect a farmer and a confuser easily. You are a small farmer, yet you want a contract. Contract on an acre. grin Ok oooo. You asked for a solution, and I said there is a market but you dismissed it. You didnt even check the market, and you are here still saying rubbish that there is an agent bla bla.bla. have you checked first to know the procedure of the sales I was about giving you? This is how people lose their opportunities. Anyway, you arent a farmer, so you quickly bailed yourself out. Cos you have no corn to sell. I deliberately offered you that option cos I have seen it earlier that you are just a trouble maker looking for faults. Stop posting further to deceive those who want to farm. No small farmer in his right sense will ever leave sweet corn for normal corn. All farmers are always looking for market to sell sweet corn. So, you only declined cos you dont farm. Keep on looking for faults in my posts. Your farmers know their coin, yet, you are here asking me how to increase yield. You want me to teach people who know their coin already. Please, dont return here.

This is the last time I will reply you.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Brainstorm With Me by willybaby(m): 7:29am On Dec 01, 2021
Attit:

Well, to the readers, dont be deceived with this post, if you are a small farmer, you will always go for the best price. He mentioned retailing per cob, having the biggest cob instead of grains, and now he is talking about offtakers and future contracts. Is there any correlation? This is why I dont answer some questions here. It's like they try to find faults. You know you have a stand, yet, you keep posting here, asking questions as if you want my opinion. I dont really understand this kind of character. If one slaps him out of this thread, it's going be a war. Just say, you are here to create wahala. And I will avoid you by all means.

Well oga, goodluck. I have nothing much to say, and I will stop responding to your disturbances on my thread. You have an idea of what you want to do. And I know you will never use irrigation because the people doing it there know their coins like you boasted. Yet, you will return again and again to ask how to increase yield, and many things. I'm stopping you here. Stio asking me questions again. Why do you always want to force your opinion on others? If you are bent on not using irrigation, then, let it be. See, I dont want wahala....you have your ideology, and obviously different from mine. I will rather wish you stop posting here again. And if you do, I will ignore you.

You want a future contract but you want to sell in bags. You wa t a future contract but you dont want to quantify yield in grains but per cob. You want to sell fresh corn by contract. You want them to pay for your cobs instead of grains, and you boldly write you want a contract. You are just an internet farmer. That is it. An internet farmer who doesnt know if a farmer is progressive. It means you have zero knowledge on it. You even showed that you arent the farmer doing it, yet asking me questions like you are the one. You need to stop your internet farming. Stop questioning me on what you arent practicing. I can detect a farmer and a confuser easily. You are a small farmer, yet you want contract. Contract on an acre. Ok oooo. You asked for a solution, and I said there is a market but you dismissed it. You didnt even check the market, and you are here still saying rubbish that there is an agent bla bla.bla. have you checked first to know the procedure of the sales I was about giving you? This is how people lose their opportunities. Anyway, you arent a farmer, so you quickly bailed yourself out. Cos you have no corn to sell. I deliberately offered you that option cos I have seen it earlier that you are just a trouble maker looking for faults. Stop posting further to deceive those who want to farm. No small farmer in his right sense will ever leave sweet corn for normal corn. All farmers are always looking for market to sell sweet corn. So, you only declined cos you dont farm. Keep on looking for faults in my posts. Your farmers know their coin, yet, you are here asking for how to increase yield. You want me to teach people who know their coin. Please, dont retun here.

Goodluck!
totally correct, Sometimes people hate persons who push them to bring out there best especially when they are used to "naso we d do am" @Attit thank you for the free wisdom
Re: Brainstorm With Me by betabread: 9:32am On Dec 01, 2021
Attit:

Well, to the readers, dont be deceived with this post, if you are a small farmer, you will always go for the best price. He mentioned retailing per cob, having the biggest cob instead of grains, and now he is talking about offtakers and future contracts. Is there any correlation? This is why I don't answer some questions here. It's like they try to find faults. You know you have a stand, yet, you keep posting here, asking questions as if you want my opinion. I don't really understand this kind of character. If one slaps him out of this thread, it's going be a war. Just say, you are here to create wahala. And I will avoid you by all means.

Well oga, goodluck. I have nothing much to say, and I will stop responding to your disturbances on my threads. You have an idea of what you want to do. And I know you will never use irrigation because the people doing it there know their coins like you boasted. Yet, you will return again and again to ask how to increase yield, and many things. I'm stopping you here. Stop asking me questions again. Why do you always want to force your opinion on others? If you are bent on not using irrigation, then, let it be. See, I dont want wahala....you have your ideology, and obviously different from mine. I will rather wish you stop posting here again. And if you do, I will ignore you.

You want a future contract but you want to sell in bags. You want a future contract but you dont want to quantify yield in grains but per cob. You want to sell fresh corn by contract. You want them to pay for your cobs instead of grains, and you boldly wrote you want a contract. You are just an internet farmer. That is it. An internet farmer who doesnt know when a farmer is progressive or not. It means you have zero knowledge on it. You even showed that you arent the farmer doing it, yet asking me questions like you are the one. You need to stop your internet farming. Stop questioning me on what you arent practising. I can detect a farmer and a confuser easily. You are a small farmer, yet you want a contract. Contract on an acre. grin Ok oooo. You asked for a solution, and I said there is a market but you dismissed it. You didnt even check the market, and you are here still saying rubbish that there is an agent bla bla.bla. have you checked first to know the procedure of the sales I was about giving you? This is how people lose their opportunities. Anyway, you arent a farmer, so you quickly bailed yourself out. Cos you have no corn to sell. I deliberately offered you that option cos I have seen it earlier that you are just a trouble maker looking for faults. Stop posting further to deceive those who want to farm. No small farmer in his right sense will ever leave sweet corn for normal corn. All farmers are always looking for market to sell sweet corn. So, you only declined cos you dont farm. Keep on looking for faults in my posts. Your farmers know their coin, yet, you are here asking me how to increase yield. You want me to teach people who know their coin already. Please, dont return here.

Goodluck!

Sir I believe you are getting me totally wrong....... I'm truly looking for ways to improve my farming and profit and that has made me seek you out.........Im not out to fight anyone but brainstorm to fine tune my own conditions down here.........I can never come to nairaland to quash somebody else........................ Im only looking for easy ways to break even

Sir please indulge me and keep answering my questions................... I once sold a pickup load of ewedu to some-one from another local government, the people that buys in our place became angry and fustrated the buyers effort in getting to market, the ewedu got to market 2 days late........ The woman swore never to return to my local govt...................This is what i meant by tradition............ I have tried fighting various traditions before and I lost the bulk of those fights

I also think I used the wrong word "contracts"........... Please dont get me wrong, You see we are about to enter a time when the price of those bags you see I posted move to their highest possible price( down here its 17K-20k)...........No buyer in my side would see that and allow a foreigner to take it.............. In the rainy season its a different ball game no body cares,all buyers are engaged but dry season is war here.......... I use the word Contract so that as I till the land for soil preparation I already start letting the whole world know Im growing for a company and would not sell locally...............

Please don't stop answering my questions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cargo Containers and Reefer Containers,40ft And 20ft For Sale / How Do I Plant Ewedu ? / Good Condition 15, 20 &!30 Tons Box Body Trucks Needed (PAYMENT IS IMMEDIATELY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.