Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? (729 Views)

Pls Help!!! Should I Pursue A PHD In U.S Or Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria / Dr. Wendy Okolo, First Black Woman To Bag A Phd In Aerospace Engineering / Meet Lanre Udu, Medical Doctor With Two Bachelors, Two Master's Degrees, PHD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by SooCute(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2021
Happy new year Nairalanders!
Here is cheers to another lifecycle.

I am here because i know there are geniuses in the house (as-well-as the others grin grin grin).

Here is my case:

My wife is a graduate of Hospitality and Tourism Management (BSc) from a Nigerian Uni. I am considering furthering her career this year and as immediate as possible.

We are in-between these options:

1. Starting a Medical undergraduate course oversees:
Since she´s 23 this year, pursuing a Medical degree will most likely elapse in about 6 years when she should be around 29.
This option was due to her alleged passion for healthcare (since childhood). Moreover, she didn´t opt for HTM bachelors, rather was a misplacement kinda... I wouldn´t want to deep-dive into. But, her Secondary School education was purely sciences and she cleaned it up with A´s and B´s.

2. Enrolling into a nursing training in Germany:
This would take 3years. I have little worries on racism. Again, the ease to further into nursing Bachelors so-to-say is still a question. Moreover, the language of instruction for this training is Deutsch which tampers her flexibility to switch countries too and be absorbed easily.

3. An MSc/PhD:
The option for MSc will most likely lead to a PhD in the end. An MSc in Entrepreneurship, Management, Business Administration etc would most likely take 2years. Furthering into PhD, another 4year when she would be 29.
She has a background in modeling. Have done stuffs for big brands like globacom, etc, won 3 crowns..(not necessary to mention)
Point is, she doesn´t really like those hype thing. Not active on social media. She just don´t think they are inevitable.

HINT:
From my observations, she likes to meet money target. Aside everything she says, she never misses business appointments. For me, this is what i doctored out of observing her nonverbal/verbal cues.

I have hinted on age here because some decisions might turnout not-so-profiting in the end when we realize we wouldn´t make the most with time left to practice the chosen career.
For me, it is important that she is flexible to relocate, tap into profitable career with growth possibility even though she still want to make money for Us grin grin grin grin

Please the concerned OPs, help me push this to the promised land.. or should i attach a snake photo
Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by RSAV: 12:44am On Jan 02, 2021
Good day. Of your 3 options, 2 are foreign studies. Have you considered the likely effects of the relocation of your wife? Since she's 23, I assume your marriage is still young.
2. A PhD in the courses you listed in your third option do not sound promising. Nigeria presently has thousands of unemployed (and under-employed) PhD holders and I'm sure you don't want your wife to join the stats.
3. Alternatively, why not invest in an area of her passion. If you invest right and grow it carefully, by the time she's 29, the investment would have grown really big. You'll both be proud.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by Emary(f): 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2021
She can practice medicine till she's 90 if she's strong enough so time is not a challenge. Only determination and cost. It will be difficult for her to have kids while studying medicine abroad so if that is one of your immediate goals, you might want to reconsider. However if you can wait till she's about 30 to start then you can go for it. There is racism everywhere but Germany is not too bad because they are very conscious of their Nazi history and are careful about it. A PHD in Nigeria is usually not worthwhile.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by SooCute(m): 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2021
RSAV:
Good day. Of your 3 options, 2 are foreign studies. Have you considered the likely effects of the relocation of your wife? Since she's 23, I assume your marriage is still young.
2. A PhD in the courses you listed in your third option do not sound promising. Nigeria presently has thousands of unemployed (and under-employed) PhD holders and I'm sure you don't want your wife to join the stats.
3. Alternatively, why not invest in an area of her passion. If you invest right and grow it carefully, by the time she's 29, the investment would have grown really big. You'll both be proud.

Thanks alot for your input.
We wouldn´t subscribe to Nigerian education anyway.

I live in Germany. So it´s a way of bringing her closer even though i frequent Nigeria meanwhile. Asides that, i am flexible to relocate anytime/anywhere i like but i am not alone here. Otherwise, i still love Germany auf jedem falls

She tilts more towards your last suggestion (if it meant medicine or medical related). But we are looking for a cost friendly Eu Country/Canada Uni with USA as my last/worst option.

Imeela/Danke

1 Like

Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by SooCute(m): 5:01pm On Jan 02, 2021
Emary:
She can practice medicine till she's 90 if she's strong enough so time is not a challenge. Only determination and cost. It will be difficult for her to have kids while studying medicine abroad so if that is one of your immediate goals, you might want to reconsider. However if you can wait till she's about 30 to start then you can go for it. There is racism everywhere but Germany is not too bad because they are very conscious of their Nazi history and are careful about it. A PHD in Nigeria is usually not worthwhile.

Dear Emary, thanks a lot for your insight. Yes for me, it is family first i.e., any decision we make should put us first.
If i understand the bolded correctly, did you mean wait till she finishes childbearing or wait till she finishes studying?

Imeela/Thanks/Danke
Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by Emary(f): 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2021
SooCute:

Dear Emary, thanks a lot for your insight. Yes for me, it is family first i.e., any decision we make should put us first.
If i understand the bolded correctly, did you mean wait till she finishes childbearing or wait till she finishes studying?

Imeela/Thanks/Danke

I can't tell you to wait till she finishes child-bearing because one cannot predict when one will get pregnant. You have to consider how many children you want, whether you want to be very young parents, your financial situation and the support you will have raising the kids. It won't be easy to combine small children and pregnancies with study abroad because childcare is very expensive. Some people choose to leave infants in Nigeria or bring their parents abroad. Is that something you can afford? If you choose medicine, you'll probably have to wait for her to graduate to start the family but the financial reward is greater. If it's nursing, there is less time involved. It requires more thought and prayers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Phd Or Medicine Bachelors At 30? by SooCute(m): 5:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
Emary:

I can't tell you to wait till she finishes child-bearing because one cannot predict when one will get pregnant. You have to consider how many children you want, whether you want to be very young parents, your financial situation and the support you will have raising the kids. It won't be easy to combine small children and pregnancies with study abroad because childcare is very expensive. Some people choose to leave infants in Nigeria or bring their parents abroad. Is that something you can afford? If you choose medicine, you'll probably have to wait for her to graduate to start the family but the financial reward is greater. If it's nursing, there is less time involved. It requires more thought and prayers.

Hmmmm, now this is a deep-bite embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy---top Flight Hr Manager(urgent) / Advertising Or Lecturing? / Migration To Uk After School And Get A Work As Well.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.