Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (497 Views)

Wizkid Reacts As Fans Call Him By His Birth Name ‘ayo’ / Wizkid Reacts As Fans Call Him By His Birth Name ‘ayo’ / 'Something Isn’t Right With Toke Makinwa’s Hips' - (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by RandomAfrican1: 10:09am On Jan 02, 2021

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie made an appearance on the Blackbox interview hosted by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, and it was a full one.

The globally renowned Nigerian novelist mad it known that she was born as Ngozi Grace Adichie, which she later on changed to Amada Ngozi Adichie, because growing up as a Catholic, one was required at a point their lives of adopted the name of a Catholic saint – She adds that even though Amanda isn’t the name of a saint, the Priests in her church back then gave her a pass because she was insistent bearing the name since she had come across it in a novel she was then reading.

Chimamanda went by the name Amanda for all of her basic to high school level education, even through to University in the United States. She reveals that it was whiles she was schooling the the US that it dawned on her that she did not want the name Amanda as she would much rather prefer an African name, precisely an Igbo name.

She went on to toy with different versions of her name until a few months to the release of her first novel in the United Kingdom when she had a sort of “Pentecostal moment.”

“I did not want Ngozi because it appeared to be too common, ven though it has a great meaning. I much rather preferred a name I coined myself so that it becomes unique,” she said

Ebuka who was clearly flabbergasted made his shock at the revelation known. ” I always wondered which cool Igbo parent in the 70’s would name their child Chimamanda, because it was practically non-existent,” he said.

“Even in recent times, I have come across not less than six girls who bear the name Chimamanda, this is remarkable,” Ebuka remarked.

Watch the part 1 of Chimamanda’s interview here; https://africaatrandom.com/chimamanda-isnt-my-birth-name-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/
Re: Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Burstscam: 10:12am On Jan 02, 2021
So much importance to ordinary name. My name is feminine but I don't give a flying fvck about it; about what you address me with. The essence of name is just for identity. Just call me my name.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by meobizy(f): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2021
Who cares?
Re: Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Cholls(m): 11:16am On Jan 02, 2021
RandomAfrican1:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie made an appearance on the Blackbox interview hosted by Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, and it was a full one.

The globally sad shocked renowned Nigerian novelist mad it known that she was born as Ngozi Grace Adichie, which she later on changed to Amada Ngozi Adichie, because growing up as a Catholic, one was required at a point their lives of adopted the name of a Catholic saint – She adds that even though Amanda isn’t the name of a saint, the Priests in her church back then gave her a pass because she was insistent bearing the name since she had come across it in a novel she was then reading.

Chimamanda went by the name Amanda for all of her basic to high school level education, even through to University in the United States. She reveals that it was whiles she was schooling the the US that it dawned on her that she did not want the name Amanda as she would much rather prefer an African name, precisely an Igbo name.

She went on to toy with different versions of her name until a few months to the release of her first novel in the United Kingdom when she had a sort of “Pentecostal moment.”

“I did not want Ngozi because it appeared to be too common, ven though it has a great meaning. I much rather preferred a name I coined myself so that it becomes unique,” she said

Ebuka who was clearly flabbergasted made his shock at the revelation known. ” I always wondered which cool Igbo parent in the 70’s would name their child Chimamanda, because it was practically non-existent,” he said.

“Even in recent times, I have come across not less than six girls who bear the name Chimamanda, this is remarkable,” Ebuka remarked.

Watch the part 1 of Chimamanda’s interview here; https://africaatrandom.com/chimamanda-isnt-my-birth-name-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/
my brother afi mad it know noni
Re: Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by illicit(m): 1:09pm On Jan 02, 2021
If u like call urself Chihuahua....

shocked

did I just say that
Re: Chimamanda Isn’t My Birth Name – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by RuddyFusion(m): 1:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
Product of a great mind

(1) (Reply)

Burnaboy And Davido Fights Again Mr Nollywood Reacts / Regina Daniels Gifts Her Mother A N15million Prado Jeep For Her Birthday (video) / Stingy Men Association Of Nigeria, See Some Members And Their Stinginess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.