Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

What Oneplus Co-founder Carl Pei Is Doing Next - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Oneplus Co-founder Carl Pei Is Doing Next (230 Views)

See What 14-year-old Benue Boy Is Doing With Empty Plastic Cans / New Species Of Green Pit Viper Discovered In India, Named After Hogwarts Founder / Meet Temitope Ogunsemo, Founder Of Krystal Digital, A $3 Million Edtech Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Oneplus Co-founder Carl Pei Is Doing Next by andyttr: 1:33pm On Jan 02, 2021
Not many people in tech are famous. Famous in the sense that at least some of the general public have at least some idea who they are. Tim Cook, yes. Bezos, of course. Elon, unavoidably. OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei is well on his way. He has been since 2013 when, aged 23, he became the public face of OnePlus rather than his considerably more experienced co-founder Pete Lau.

Then, in October, Pei quit. Finally he’s ready to reveal what comes next. It’s audio-related and products are coming next year. And he’s signed up none other than Tony Fadell, principal at advisory firm Future Shape and inventor of the iPod, as a seed investor on his post-smartphone career move.

OnePlus arrived with a plan to change the mobile phone market – and arguably it did, at least initially. The firm’s budget phones were well designed, had good specs and reliable hardware capable of taking on established brands that charged customers a lot more.
Pei’s sudden departure sent the rumour mill into overdrive. Most danced around the opposing views that he’d been fired by Lau after a dust up over the direction of OnePlus or that he’d quit to start his own business. The timing – right after the launch of the Nord handset that many viewed as a return to form for OnePlus – seemed, on the surface, odd. Now the dust has settled, Pei has revealed a few key details, including when he actually left OnePlus, if he really fell out with Lau and, crucially, what he is doing next.Pei confirms that he left OnePlus a month before the outside world noticed, on his birthday, September 11. “It was like a birthday present to myself,” Pei says. “I wanted to explore something new. I still feel like I have a lot of creativity within me, but I still love tech and I have some new ideas I wanted to try out. So I decided to make my birthday my last day.” Was being in charge of the Nord launch not exciting enough? “OnePlus is a really large company, compared to where we were when we were just started. And once the company is larger, you’re kind of set in your strategy. So, by turning a blank page, I can be a lot more creative with what I choose to spend my time on.”So did Pei feel constrained at OnePlus? “I don’t have anything against my time there. I learned a lot. I kind of grew up there. Now, in my thirties, I want to try something new.” Pei also insists he did not fall out with Lau. “It was an amicable departure and we’re still in touch,” he says. “We text each other once every couple of weeks. I told him [I was leaving] face to face at a cafe. I don’t think he saw it coming, but I very calmly laid out my gratitude and what I wanted to do next. We talked a couple of times [after that] and in the end he agreed and is supporting me.”

As to what will be next, when you consider that, years before OnePlus was even conceived, Pei sourced white-label MP3 players in China to sell globally and was part of the leadership team for the creation of the OnePlus Bullets earphones, it’s not entirely surprising that his new venture is centred around music.

While confirming that multiple pieces of hardware will be coming in 2021, Pei also explains that this new company will have a broader focus than just headphones. He won’t confirm headphones are in the works, mind you. “It’s so much more than that,” Pei says.

He’s being deliberately nebulous, of course, and knows more than most how to generate publicity (both good and bad), but one clue is that he mentions customer experience many, many times in most interviews.

Maybe a new kind of multi-room setup like Syng or music service to go with the hardware coming in 2021? Neil Shah at Counterpoint Research points out that with his Swedish heritage Pei might well be getting closer to Spotify, or a startup which Spotify could acquire. He has a potential direct contact in Szymon Kopeć, formerly at OnePlus and now product manager at Spotify.

Whatever it is, Pei has amassed a stellar lineup of seed investors, raising $7 million before going for Series A funding. Tony Fadell, the former Apple vice president often loftily referred to as the “father of the iPod”, is on board lending considerable weight to whatever “more than music” turns out to be. As is co-founder and CEO of Reddit Steve Huffman. Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin and Product Hunt CEO Josh Buckley have also bought in. Casey Neistat, the millionaire vlogger and co-founder of the multimedia company Beme, later acquired by CNN, has skin in the game, too.

https://courses-ecornell.instructure.com/eportfolios/7717/Home/Xiaomi_Redmi_9T_uncovered_through_unpacking_Its_a_redesigned_Poco_M3

https://courses-ecornell.instructure.com/eportfolios/7718/Home/The_Samsung_Galaxy_Z_Flip_is_currently_getting_its_Android_11_update

https://courses-ecornell.instructure.com/eportfolios/7719/Home/Xiaomi_purchasers_guide_Everything_you_need_to_know

https://courses-ecornell.instructure.com/eportfolios/7720/Home/LG_needs_to_utilize_straightforward_OLED_shows_for_imperceptible_room_TVs

https://courses-ecornell.instructure.com/eportfolios/7721/Home/Gazelle_is_closing_down_mail_exchange_ins_here_are_some_acceptable_other_options
Re: What Oneplus Co-founder Carl Pei Is Doing Next by stupidmod2: 7:08pm On Jan 03, 2021
long phones
expensive
look alike

they aren't doing anything new

(1) (Reply)

Ghanian Health Startup Mpharma Launches In Ethiopia / Unbelievable Homemade Device Called Plasma Tv Spiral Light Remote Controllable / Word Unscrambler - What's It And How Does This Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.