Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,077 members, 7,849,366 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:40 PM

Rejoinder To The ASUU-unilag Resolution Of 29th December, 2020 On Ippis Reg. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rejoinder To The ASUU-unilag Resolution Of 29th December, 2020 On Ippis Reg. (220 Views)

ASUU: Unilag Senior Lecturer Shares Salary Alert (Picture) / ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lectures For Enrolling On IPPIS (Full List) / ASUU Strike: Resolution Of ASUU Branches On Fg’s Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rejoinder To The ASUU-unilag Resolution Of 29th December, 2020 On Ippis Reg. by edogu(m): 5:47pm On Jan 02, 2021
REJOINDER TO THE ASUU-UNILAG RESOLUTION OF 29TH DECEMBER, 2020 ON IPPIS REGISTRATION PUBLISHED IN THE NIGERIAN LAWYERS OF 1ST JANUARY, 2021

My attention has been drawn to the publication of The Nigerian Lawyers online publication of 1st January, 2021 titled “ [Full List] ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lecturers Who Enrolled in IPPIS” in which the ASUU has by its resolution dated 20th December, 2020 published libellous issues concerning my registration on IPISS platform as directed by the Federal Government of Nigeria (the employer) and the purported resolution thereof.

I am not given to comment on University of Lagos politics or union activities but am on this occasion constrained to make my view public. Firstly, I would not have commented but for the libellous statements and innuendos contained in the said publication. The publication tends to portray me and other staff who have registered as dissidents, irresponsible and disloyal persons in the eyes of the general public and therefore unfit for our callings. As a Professor of Law and Legal Practitioner of both local and international repute, I am aware of the immense damage that this publication has done and will do to my reputation home and abroad and I have forwarded the publication to my Solicitors to take necessary legal action to protect my name hence I reserve my comments on legal rights accrued to me from such malicious publication leaving the duty to my Solicitors to pursue.

However, it must be pointed out that the action of the Union should not be taken lightly given the breach of privacy and fundamental human rights to fair hearing enshrined in our Constitution. Was the action of the Union guided by the Constitution of the Union itself, I doubt!

For the avoidance of doubt, membership of any union is voluntary and no entity under the 1999 Constitution of the Nigeria (no matter the blackmail) can force any member to belong to an association, ASUU inclusive. (whether trade union or not). The leadership of ASUU also need to be reminded that its action calling for disobedience of lawful instruction from an employer can lead to termination of appointment in case the Union is unaware of this. Our law reports are replete with several legal authorities in this regard.  More fundamentally, the right of any staff of University of Lagos to aspire to any position of authority within and outside the University is not governed by the Union Rules rather by the written law, guidelines and procedure prescribed by law. 

Beyond that, the resolution speaks volume of the leadership of the union and call for soul-searching. Where were ASUU-UNILAG leadership when members are being denied promotion based on non-existing and unwritten rules? Does it lie in the mouth of ASUU-UNILAG leadership to punish members without fair hearing when the so-called leaders are being considered for promotion and interviewed during the same ASUU strike? Where lies the justice and integrity of the leadership of the same ASUU-Unilag publicly perceived as compromised and accused of financial gratification? Those who leave in glass house must by conventional wisdom learn never to throw stones.

It is my belief that ASUU will toe the path of honour to retrieve its threats as contained in the alleged resolution to avert unnecessary friction and lacuna that breed no good omen to the Union’s struggle. Nobody has monopoly of threats and mischiefs. Obafemi Awolowo University and University of Ilorin is a case study and I hope that the unionism in University of Lagos will not go the same way. Time will tell. To be fore warned is to be fore harmed.

I stop for now.

Professor Oludayo Gabriel Amokaye
Department of Private and Property Law,
University of Lagos.
Akoka.

2nd January, 2021.

(1) (Reply)

E- Notes For E-learning / UPSC/IAS Question Papers And Answers - Free App For UPSC Exam / Due To The Second Wave Of COVID-19 UNIPORT Sends Notice For 2020 Post-utme Scree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.