Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Healthy Food; Facts Vs Myths - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Healthy Food; Facts Vs Myths (364 Views)

Did You Know? 15 Shocking Food Facts / 15 Shocking Food Facts / Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Healthy Food; Facts Vs Myths by adanny01(m): 1:40pm On Jan 03, 2021
This thread is created to dispute or correct the wrong impressions with regards to healthy foods.

I would like us to make contributions to unconfuse the minds of those who have been misled like in the following narrative.

I have this close friend whose late mother died of a diabetes complication. The issue here is that he has developed a strong will to prevent him self from diabetes by regulating his food.

As a result, he has prohibited him self from certain foods especially carbohydrate rich foods such as pounded yam, Akpu, ggarrri, Amala, Semolina, spaghetti, noodles, sugar and sugary drinks etc.

Basically anything carbohydrate and sugar is considered taboo by this guy which I tried to unconfuse his mind. Rather unfortunately is the fact that his meals which he considers carbohydrate (sugar) free are foods like wheat meal, unripe plantain, beans (cow pea), water yam etc

We had this argument which I googled nutritional value, he didn't like what the search proofed and decided to call the research lies and fake.

I asked him why he eats wheat meal and not Semolina when both are made of the same thing, wheat. I also told him the major difference between yam and water yam is the higher percentage of water in water yam hence the name. I told him the beans he has so much regard for has more of carbohydrates than protein.

This guy lived years based on lies, misconceptions and misleading information..

He also believes that not eating sugars or carbs will prevent him from diabetes, I told him it's not true. I told him no one knows what causes diabetes especially type 1.

I also have another friend who prefers cow intestine to the flesh calling it red meat which is bad. I had to tell him the red meat is more important having higher protein and less fat than intestine which has higher fat and lower protein.

The different types of recommendations my parents bring home is a thing of concern. From a leaf that lowers blood pressure but will keep them awake peeing to a N10,000 dose of herbs that will work for all illness but with a side effect of 3 days diarrhea.

I will start by posting nutritional values of some common foods.

(1) (Reply)

How To Cook Perfect Easy CHINESE FRIED RICE / So Crispy, So Juicy! / How To Make A Slot On Macadamia Nut? Macadamia Nut Cutter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.