Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,926 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday (15290 Views)

Obaseki's Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Fixes Jan 9 For Judgement / Forgery: Court Admits Obaseki’s Original Certificates As Evidence / Forgery: Court Admits Two More Exhibits Against Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by kahal29: 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2021
…as APC closes its case with 6 witnesses, tenders 17 Exhibits

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri

The All Progressives Congress, APC, on Monday, closed the forgery case it instituted against Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, after it called a total of six witnesses and tendered 17 Exhibits.

Lead counsel to the APC, Chief Akin Olujimi, SAN, announced decision of the party to rest its case, shortly after the court discharged the sixth witness, PW-6, Dr. Mikano Asekome, who is an Associate Professor in Banking and Finance Department at Benson Idahosa University, Benin city, Edo state.

The PW-6 told the court that he was on December 23, 2020, summoned to appear as witness in the matter.

The witness went ahead and tendered in evidence, the original copy of his certificate in Agricultural-Economics, which the University of Ibadan awarded to him on July 31, 1978.

Under cross-examination, the witness told the court that as at 1974 when he gained admission into University of Ibadan, the Join Admission & Matriculation Board, JAMB, was not in existence.

“As at then, it was the responsibility of the University of Ibadan to set criteria for admission. However, in order to guide students, the criteria was always documented and published.

“The conditions differed from Faculty to Faculty, though the number of credits that must be passed by intending students remained basic.

“There were two modes of admission then, which was either by direct entry or through consessional entrance exam that was also called prelim or pre-degree.

“In my case, I went in through prelim. That was why I spent four years in school.

“As at then, the University of Ibadan was not offering prelim on courses in Faculty of Arts. Even in sciences, certain students entered through direct entry and they only spend three years”, the witness added.

Under further cross-examination, the witness told the court that he had never seen governor Obaseki’s original certificate.

Earlier, the PW-4, Mr. Raphael Onwuzuligbo, who is a retired Assistant Superintendent of Police and a forensic document examiner, said he analysed governor Obaseki’s certificate following a request that was made by a person he identified as “Faithful Steward”.

He however admitted that what was sent to him for analysis was not the original copy of the certificate, but the Certified True Copy, CTC.

“I don’t know who certified it, but on the face of the document there is Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

“I don’t know the origin of the document”, the witness added.

The PW-5, Engineer Gabriel Iduseri, identified himself as the former South South zonal youth leader of the APC and the present caretaker zonal youth leader of the APC.

He tendered a copy of a suit marked FHC/B/CS/124/2016, which the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, previously instituted against Obaseki for allegedly forging his certificate.

The witness told the court that the case was subsequently struck out after the time for its determination elapsed.

He told the court that Obaseki had in 2016, submitted an affidavit of loss of certificate to INEC, adding that the said affidavit was not part of documents he submitted alongside his nomination form (Form EC9) in the 2020 election circle.

The witness told the court that Obaseki had in the Form CF001 he submitted in 2016, claimed that he attended University of Ibadan between 1976 to 1979.

Asked if he ever visited University of Ibadan or WAEC to confirm the authenticity of Obaseki’s credentials, the witness answered in the negative.

Meantime, following APC’s decision to close its case, Justice Ahmed Mohammed, directed governor Obaseki to open his defence on Tuesday.

The APC had in the suit it jointly filed with one of its members in Edo, Mr. Williams Edobor, alleged that Obaseki forged the University of Ibadan degree certificate he submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in aid of his qualification for the election.

In the suit marked FHC/B/CS/74/2020, the Plaintiffs equally alleged that there were discrepancies in the subjects that Obaseki claimed he passed in his West African Examination Council (WAEC) exam and subjects in his testimonial.

They are therefore praying the court to declare that Obaseki’s claim in his INEC form EC9 at column C, sworn to on June 29, 2020 at the Federal Capital Territory High Court Registry to the effect that he obtained from the University of Ibadan in 1979, a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Classical Studies, is false and contrary to Section 31 (5) and (6) of the Electoral Act, 2010.

As well as an order declaring that Obaseki lied on oath when he swore to an affidavit on June 29, 2020 that he worked in Afrinvest Limited from 1994 to 2014 when he retired.

The INEC was listed as the 3rd Defendant in the matter.

Meanwhile, in line with section 285 (10) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, the 180 days stipulated for the trial court to conclude hearing on the pre-election suit, will elapse on Sunday.

In a related development, the court, dismissed a joint suit the National Rescue Mission, NRM, and one of its chieftains, Mr. Steven Ozoro, filed to challenge the eligibility of APC’s governoship candidate in Edo State, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu and his Deputy, Abdulganiyu Daudu.

The court held that the suit had become academic, stressing that no legal benefit could accrue to any of the parties in the matter.

Cited as Defendants in the matter were INEC, APC, Ize-Iyamu and Daudu.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/alleged-certificate-forgery-court-orders-obaseki-to-open-defence-tuesday/amp/

1 Like

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Fahdiga(m): 8:55pm On Jan 04, 2021
Even though certificate forgery is a serious crime in Nigeria but reasonable Nigerians knows that Obaseki has no case to answer. APC is just looking for a back door that they might use to enter but they will fail woefully

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Dansuqi: 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2021
Apc are still cornering the forger
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Dansuqi: 9:04pm On Jan 04, 2021
Fahdiga:
Even though certificate forgery is a serious crime in Nigeria but reasonable Nigerians knows that Obaseki has no case to answer. APC is just looking for a back door that they might use to enter but they will fail woefully

Silence is best when you have nothing useful to say

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by abc115: 9:07pm On Jan 04, 2021
Seriously Serious
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
I've no idea how obaseki is going to defend this case because even apc used pdp lawsuit in 2016 against him..

8 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
Fahdiga:
oga shut up and read first. Dundee

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by PVision2020(m): 9:15pm On Jan 04, 2021
I wonder how our politicians spend billions on legal counsel and still end up having lacuna and loopholes in their cases.
All the legal counsel of Obaseki and PDP that went through his INEC form need to be jailed, same with David Lyon's.
For crying out loud Obaseki escaped this same ordeal by the wisker in 2016 and PDP only lost the case due to APC and Oshiomoles' time wasting tactics only to repeat a more grievous mistake 4 years later knowing fully well that your one time friend and ally who knows all your secrets is now your sworn enemy.
You brought a certificate in 2020 that contradicts the sworn affidavit of 2016?

I hope he survive this.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2021
PVision2020:
I wonder how our politicians spend billions on legal counsel and still end up having lacuna and loopholes in their cases.
All the legal counsel of Obaseki and PDP that went through his INEC form need to be jailed, same with David Lyon's.
For crying out loud Obaseki escaped this same ordeal by the wisker in 2016 and PDP only lost the case due to APC and Oshiomoles' time wasting tactics only to repeat a more grievous mistake 4 years later knowing fully well that your one time friend and ally who knows all your secrets is now your sworn enemy.

I hope he survived this.
that's not why he survived, he survived because pdp didn't file the case on time

8 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Benbellamor: 9:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
Lost case

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by kaylardz(m): 9:31pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thank God dat obaseki d crook can not escape dis trap, he'll soon be disgraced out of office and Edo will become Lagos.

19 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by PVision2020(m): 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2021
TheGodlessGod:
that's not why he survived, he survived because pdp didn't file the case on time
Ok
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by ayclem01(m): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2021
I am beginning to feel for this man, it was really a terrible mistake in the sides of his legal advisers. How I wish obaseki did not even presented his certificate to inec, for crying out loud they where not even compulsory. Too know na just de worry obaseki and his legal advisers are all dundee

6 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by razfad10(m): 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2021
I’m not a lawyer, I will wait till Sunday.
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Indispensable85(m): 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2021
Hmmmmmmm............. I'll keenly follow his defence and see. The delay tactics didn't work, now they'll have to rush their defense because 180 days elapse on Sunday. The pressure is now on the defense team.

11 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by seunmsg(m): 10:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
PVision2020:
You brought a certificate in 2020 that contradicts the sworn affidavit of 2016?

I hope he survive this.

I think it’s better for us to wait for him to open his defense before jumping to conclusion. So far so good, we’ve only listened to the case of the applicant. He may come up with a credible defense of his qualifications.

10 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 04, 2021
seunmsg:

I think it’s better for us to wait for him to open his defense before jumping to conclusion. So far so good, we’ve only listened to the case of the applicant. He may come up with a credible defense of his qualifications.
let's watch

2 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Dansuqi: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2021
seunmsg:

True.tomorrow will tell

2 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Dansuqi: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2021
Indispensable85:
Hmmmmmmm............. I'll keenly follow his defence and see. The delay tactics didn't work, now they'll have to rush their defense because 180 days elapse on Sunday. The pressure is now on the defense team.

I think it elapses on the 13th not sunday
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Confirmedzombie: 11:44pm On Jan 04, 2021
Indispensable85:

You have said it all. The pressure now on obasike and his team and no more APC as the delay tactics didn't work for him.

My prayer is for obasek to defend himself but I fear he has a huge hurdle.

His lawyers and advisers never advised him well at all.

APC even presented a similar suit by PDP as evidence which was admitted by the court.

The UI confirmation of his certificate to me has no effect on this cases.

There are lots of controversies on obasek which I doubt he will be able to overcome.

I wish obasek all the best of luck as he commence his defense and I pray there will be no delay by the court now to allow him defend himself.

For those who don't know the law, as far as the delay tactics by obasek didnt work and the petitioners have closed there defense, if any delays now, the judge is at liberty to deliver judgement at any time to beat the 180 days that expires on Sunday 10th January 2021.

Goodluck to my brother and friend obasike

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by tillaman(m): 4:24am On Jan 05, 2021
grin
The case is DOA, Oshiomole doesn’t want to give up
These our politicians fights dirty walahi

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Amoto05(m): 4:25am On Jan 05, 2021
Ok
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by elmessiahs(m): 4:30am On Jan 05, 2021
when politicians cannot live without obvious manipulation in Nigeria then expect a judiciary that will not have time for its common citizens
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by adioolayi(m): 4:37am On Jan 05, 2021
I hope Obaseki will not be shown the way out based on technicalities.

The issue is not that he is a graduate of UI.....The issue is he submitted false information to INEC..and that is the wahala

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by blackpanda: 4:40am On Jan 05, 2021
Fahdiga:

Obaseki knows his certificates are fake. It was oshiomole that rescued him in 2016. Unfortunately he decided to backstab oshiomole so now here we are once again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by blackpanda: 4:42am On Jan 05, 2021
tillaman:
grin
The case is DOA, Oshiomole doesn’t want to give up
These our politicians fights dirty walahi

U do realise that oshiomole is neither a party to the suits nor even a member of apc. He was kicked out, remember?

3 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by kayusely70(m): 4:43am On Jan 05, 2021
I Hope He Survives It.
Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by abc115: 4:49am On Jan 05, 2021
blackpanda:

U do realise that oshiomole is neither a party to the suits nor even a member of apc. He was kicked out, remember?
How is he not a member?

1 Like

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by blackpanda: 4:52am On Jan 05, 2021
abc115:

How is he not a member?

Try to read or watch news

1 Like

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by tillaman(m): 4:53am On Jan 05, 2021
blackpanda:

but I believe in one he is still playing a major role in this war
He just wants him out And I don’t see that happening

1 Like

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Fibonacci88: 4:57am On Jan 05, 2021
ayclem01:
I am beginning to feel for this man, it was really a terrible mistake in the sides of his legal advisers. How I wish obaseki did not even presented his certificate to inec, for crying out loud they where not even compulsory. Too know na just de worry obaseki and his legal advisers are all dundee
Besides looting, Nigeria politicians seem to be d dumbest set of ppl. Y presenting a controversial bsc when u have a WAEC certificate.

3 Likes

Re: Alleged Certificate Forgery: Court Orders Obaseki To Open Defence Tuesday by Ohizman73(m): 5:03am On Jan 05, 2021
This their matter ,na wa oh. What goes around , indeed comes around. when you least expected it. This life we should be very carefully and humble. He is a product of the same dirty system, he cordoned it,then went ahead to bite the fingers that backed him. So he should xpect the worst from them. Let us see how it goes ,it has been a very interesting show in that my Edo State

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

About 400 Nigerians Are In South African Jails - Abdulrahman Dambazau / Kaduna To Appeal Against El-zakzaky’s India Trip / Nigeria Withdraws $1 Billion Claim Against Eni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.