Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,562 members, 7,816,364 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? (510 Views)

Junior Pope In The Making Of The Movie "The Other Side Of Life" (Video) / MUSTAPHA An Award Winning Short Film By A Nairalander Released / Black Panther: How Africans In America Dressed To Go See The Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Noneroone(m): 10:05am On Jan 05, 2021
I came back last night and met a movie being shown on DSTV/GOTV channel ROK2 TV. The Title of the movie was Mustapha. what caught my attention was not just about the name "mustapha" in a typical Igbo semi-rural setting, but some other controversial issues that the movie progressively revealed.

It was supposed to be the story of a corp member from kano named Mustapha, who served in a semi-village Somewhere in the east. Along the line, his close fraternity with his students got him entangled in a rape and murder case. One of his students had been killed and after passing through a long time in the police custody and a shameful reprimand from the school/nysc authority, it was revealed he was innocent and that in fact, the father of the girl got her pregnant with the mother of the girl's boyfriend who doubled as the policewoman investigating the case, doing the covering up for her son. The movie may have passed off as the plight of a Hausa Muslim in a majority Christian area but what is clear is that
:

Mustapha was potrayed as a perfect Muslim gentleman. I have no problem with however way a specific religious or ethnic choose to portray themselves in movies, provided another group was not potrayed in a demeaning light as the movie did.

The villagers were potrayed as very hostile and in one occasion attempted to mob him. This was a false potryal of Igbos since it never happens in reality. The reverse may well be the case.

"Igbo kwenu" was potrayed as a rallying cry for ethnic violence. The youths of the community at one point pugnaciously charged at the praying Mustapha chanting "Igbo kwenu" This is another false portrayal of the Igbo people. Igbo kwenu has never been used for violence. In fact, any nollywood fan would observe that despite majority of the movie having an Igbo setting, the word "Igbo" is never mentioned, much more portraying other groups in bad light.

Masturbation was potrayed in a positive light Mustapha proudly admitted he does it in movie. Despite many people being guilty of this habit, it is never promoted as part of our values in the East. I understand that Islam has no problem with it but what are dedicated kannywood channels meant for? That is where it should be promoted.

The man who committed incest was a pastor This is an attack on Christianity and fatherhood in Igboland. Like I said, I have no problem with trying to reform the damaged image of Hausa/Islam but it can done it a way that doesn't insult the sensibility of others.

It is clear that the movie exploits some combustible ethno-regious elements but what is not clear is why it was allowed by Iroko without proper vetting. It was credited to Mary Njoku but a simple search showed it was produced and directed by one Ishaq sidi ishaq . Apparently, it was acquired by iroko. Half of a yellow sun had problem being approved by NFVCB despite the story being a historical fact. Many streaming sites pulled racially insensitive contents from their sites during the BLM protest and in my opinion the movie Mustapha is not off the hook.

Ujsizzle Briareos prof800 Lalasticlala seun Fp pls.

Am i the only one who feel this way about this movie?
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Enskynelson(m): 10:43am On Jan 05, 2021
I watched the movie yesterday as well on ROK2. You are quite correct on the above observations. But remember the untold story also was that the guy who mobilised against Mustapha said his people were killed in the North. It's a bit logical for an Igbo man whose parents were killed in the north to act in such rage! It wasn't a bad one in my view.
The most annoying is the part that a phone was locked and a detective didn't know about hi-tech options of getting it unlocked. It was another eyesore when the detective was also expressing the difficulty in determining the person who sent the SMS to the murdered girl just because the number was not saved in her phone. For God's sake, the movie plot was not portrayed to be in 1994! Those actually made everything looked stupid.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Enskynelson(m): 10:46am On Jan 05, 2021
On masturbation...
The lady felt disgusted at that habit of Mustapha. So, I can say, it wasn't really portrayed as a good thing in the movie.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by istina: 10:59am On Jan 05, 2021
Some people at NFVCB and NBC should lose their jobs for this because, it doesn't get any worse than this.
The movie movie is capable of sparking
Ethnic crisis
Political crisis
Religious crisis
in a nation already volatile and tense as this.

These are the things under his nose that lie lie Lai Mohammed should be paying attention to instead of daily defending the CLUELESS ONE.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Noneroone(m): 11:44am On Jan 05, 2021
Enskynelson:
On masturbation...
The lady felt disgusted at that habit of Mustapha. So, I can say, it wasn't really portrayed as a good thing in the movie.
It was subtly promoted. She only shouted in shock (without saying a word against it) being a Christian but Mustapha guy proudly justified the act by saying he did what most celibate guys do. That in my opinion promotes the act. Remember Muslims do not condemn it.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Enskynelson(m): 11:49am On Jan 05, 2021
Noneroone:
It was subtly promoted. She only shouted in shock (without saying a word against it) being a Christian but Mustapha guy proudly justified the act by saying he did what most celibate guys do. That in my opinion promotes the act. Remember Muslims do not condemn it.
Yea, yea. You observed well.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by Bulldozer90: 12:26pm On Jan 05, 2021
I watched it too. I knew something wasn't right but didn't know the producer was a Muslim.
Re: Is The Movie "Mustapha" Ethno-religious Insensitive? by BeckyChinelo1(f): 1:16am On Jan 06, 2021
Was it the father that impregnated her or her classmate/boyfriend who asked her to put it on mustapha and later hit her head on a wall or something when she threatened to tell the truth. Then the mother of the boy [Who is the police woman] killed her to cover up for her son. It's been a while I watched it though.

Ps:I know the father has been sleeping with her.

(1) (Reply)

Mother's Secret (new Movie) Chizzy Alichi / Top 5 Best 2021action Series / Maria Reveals Where She Got Her Nigerian Accent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.