Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,414 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% (32582 Views)

FG Increases Prices Of Electricity Meters / FG Extends Suspension Of New Electricity Tariff By 1 Week / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Kwanza: 11:08am On Jan 05, 2021
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, has approved over 50 per cent hike in electricity tariff effective January 1, 2021.

The new tarrif hike regime is to be paid by customers of the 11 electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs.

This is coming just two months after the Commission forced implementation of much opposed hike on Nigerians in November 2020.

In a revised Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) signed by the new Chairman of NERC, Engr. Sanusi Garba, on December 30, 2020, the new tariff increase took effect on January 1, 2021, and supersedes the previous Order NERC/2028/2020.

In the new Order NERC/225/2020, the commission said it considered the 14.9% inflation rate rise in November 2020, foreign exchange of N379.4/$1 as of December 29, 2020, available generation capacity, US inflation rate of 1.22% and the Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) of the power firms to raise the tariff.

The revised Service Based Tariff (SBT) also saw increase in the rates payable by all classes of electricity users unlike the one of November 2020, that exempted low power getters.

This is effective till June 2021 while a Cost Reflective Tariff (CRT) expected to raise the new cost higher will be activated from June to December 2021, the NERC Order revealed.

Recall NERC earlier in December, 2020, notified that it had begun a review for another tariff, which has been completed and had taken effect from January 1, 2021.

NERC had raised tariff for the DISCOs in September but that drew outrages from customers and the organised labour, prompting the Federal Government to suspend it to pave ways for parties to dialogue.

Subsequently, by November 1, 2020, the suspended tariff was implemented after some discounts were given for customers who get 12 hours and above power supply daily.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/breaking-fg-hikes-electricity-tariff-by-50/amp/
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

1 Share

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Olunmercy56(f): 11:11am On Jan 05, 2021
shocked shocked shocked Somebody should please take me out of this country! Enough of these wahala cry cry

209 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by kalu61(m): 11:13am On Jan 05, 2021
This regime will kill us with tax

Though light has improved in my area but l think Nigerians still pay much for electricity

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by kalu61(m): 11:14am On Jan 05, 2021
Olunmercy56:
shocked shocked shocked Somebody should please take me out of this country! Enough of these wahala cry cry
Which part do you have in mind?

22 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Kingkum: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2021
I'm not Suprised.
I Just Hope That The Present Old Men Power Should Do Fast And Leave The Stage For Others To Take Over. I Also Pray That Our Next Set Of Leaders Should Be Better Than This Cos i Already Gave Up On This Present Set Of Useless People. Nothing Good Can Come Out From Them.

Next Pls

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by CandyOps(m): 11:15am On Jan 05, 2021
Wait fess. shey this 50% increase Na ontop the one wey dem done add before last year abi na new one?

because Iif na new one na him be say na almost 70% increment in less then 6 months be that.

2021 go bloody oh. inflation rate now clocking 40%

Wahala for who no get extra means of income?

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by CodeTemplar: 11:15am On Jan 05, 2021
Some Nigerians are being pushed to the wall o. Dangote will soon hold petrol monopoly and now PHCN too is doing this as the refinery reaches conclusion.

Not that the move is out place, but will Nigerians understand?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by pyyxxaro: 11:17am On Jan 05, 2021
kalu61:

Chibok Phase II

4 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Olunmercy56(f): 11:18am On Jan 05, 2021
kalu61:

Canada or US wink wink cool

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by nameo: 11:18am On Jan 05, 2021
This is honestly the worst regime in Nigeria's histroy.

They seem to be totally impervious to the suffering and voice of its own people.

I cannot imagine another 50% increase after the more than 100% increase just a few months ago?? Where do people get tbe money for in a recession?

They do this to us cos they know they can get away with it. Always. Same way previous Govts have also done. Which is why, tho i dont fully like Sowore, I admire his courage

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by mushystuff: 11:33am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow! Speechless is what I am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Ofemmanu1: 11:36am On Jan 05, 2021
Una never see anything

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by ipobarethieves: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
sad New year gift. sad

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by christejames(m): 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
Buhari just tell us wetin we do you...

Your nonchalant attitude towards governance is evident in the maladministration we are currently grappling with in this country.

Why not throw in the towel and safe millions of us this pang because we've had enough of it.

53 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by money121(m): 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
Weldone
Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by RedPanthar: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
Tomato price increased by over 300%

Rice by over 300%

Cement by over 150%

Tax raised

CBN STAMP DUTY and dodgy Bank deductions

I said it weeks ago that fundamental factors Suggests Nigeria was in coma, a near dying state. I maintain my stance

Electricity tariff has increased now five times, increasing to over 600% since this administration took over, yet Nigerian power generation capacity hasn't increased by even 10MW since its take over

What a fraud! Sadly when the less literate and knowledgeable ones speak on issues they blindly defend their task masters.

I lend my voice to the comment made by Jerry Rawlings of Ghana. Nigerians love it's tormentors.

Just the same way Buhari tormented the father's in the 80s that led to the break down of character leading to 419 everywhere, same way, he has come to torture the children.

By the time Buhari is done with you guys, they will scarcely be flesh left over the cheek bones

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by classicfrank4u(m): 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021
Just 5 days into the new year and they have started inflicting pain and hardship on citizens lipsrsealed

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by ipobarethieves: 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021
sad If landlords increase house rent by 70% some pipu will go back to their village.Chai! Bubu embarassed angry angry.From petrol,gas,food, cement,NEPA . angry. and dis NIN wahala. sad sad.Make covid relax make person "Andrew"

12 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by wunmi590(m): 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021

God please come and take me alive away from this country to either Canada or US before my child clock 5year old.

I want a better country for my child where, even using all your salary to pay for light won't matter to you because you pay for what you use.

God please I beg you help me, so that I can be commenting from either Canada or US on nairaland

6 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by gurunlocker: 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021
50% increase?

Electricity supply does not increase o... Why do these people keep inconveniencing the masses? Why the untold hardship on people?

Most people income does not increase, this is a country that doesn't care about the masses and where most will have to hustle to even feed. How will they pay a 50% increase on tariff? shocked shocked shocked

6 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by motherlode: 11:40am On Jan 05, 2021
undecided

So much for less...

This regime policy makers need electrical brain stimulation.
Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by veekid(m): 11:41am On Jan 05, 2021
Una never see anything, another increment is coming in June, if you knw, you know... Sai Baba

5 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Abilistic(m): 11:41am On Jan 05, 2021
Interesting!

This is just NEXT LEVEL increment, UPPER LEVEL will definitely be 100%

Chaii bubu grin

5 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by Stockquality: 11:42am On Jan 05, 2021
By 50 percent. My God. I think i have to hustle hard,get a very big gen ,solar power and every other less power consumping gadget. Nepa and the FG are high and stupid. You can imagine the corruption going on in NEPA. A woman i knew in nepa few years back with nothing has built a house and bought 2 corollas. She don turn branch manager

7 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by ithink7: 11:42am On Jan 05, 2021
I purchased 3 months worth of power after the increase was reversed in September/October at half the current price. Seems that will last me for at least 6 months now.

4 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by DonFreshmoney(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2021
No wonder.. i loaded N10k credit on the 1st and on the 4th of January.. 10k credit finished.. e shock me diee. This country fon spoil finish

3 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by MzTunechi(f): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2021
What am I still doing in this country

2 Likes

Re: FG Increases Electricity Tariff By 50% by HalpyBee(f): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2021
This is outrageous. The government is insensitive to the plight of the masses.
What a regime!

15 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How President Buhari Was Received In Kenya (photo) / Nigeria, 5 Other West African Countries Condemn Renaming Of CFA Franc To ECO / Buhari Broke Into Tears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.