Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? (1276 Views)

Mysql Help:please I Need Help Transposing Row Into Column / How To Escape From Tutorial Dependency / I Can't Get A Siwes/it Placement....any Help Please?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
I'm a Nigerian student that wants to go into programming, I'm actually studying statistics/computer science and I will be entering 400lv when school resumes.

I'm already done with CSS and HTML and unto JavaScript but my issue is there seems to be a lot of web developers around and I want to venture into a different niche that I can master within my remaining one year in school,I might miss out on service due to age so I need these skills because I don't intend backdating my age.

I'm thinking of cyber security, and I want to start with python,though I want something I can start earning from as soon as possible(local man is broke)... I have over 30courses in my udemy account, from web dev, to cyber security, hacking etc.

Please how lucrative is cyber security or should I just continue with web dev, I have tons of courses on it, from JavaScript to bootstrap, react,angularjs, node js, php, SQL etc. I also have over 30hours courses on python and it's frame work django with projects for practice cutting across web dev, mobile applications etc

I enrolled on a wireshark course that spans around 64hours for the part 1 and part 2 and I already love that one because it makes me feel like a bad ass hacker. Pls help a brother out, tutorial hell or whatever its called is hitting me hard

5 Likes

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2021
Someone should say something please cry cry
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by incogni2o: 8:40pm On Jan 05, 2021
Bro

You are the future.

Please forget having a career in web nonscence.

Go into Data Science

Start with python,
Then R
After that go into Machine Learning
And AI.

Your background is so perfect for a bright future.

2 Likes

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
incogni2o:
Bro

You are the future.

Please forget having a career in web nonscence.

Go into Data Science

Start with python,
Then R
After that go into Machine Learning
And AI.

Your background is so perfect for a bright future.
Thanks so much bro, I also tried out data science, my course combination made it a little easier since I've come across some of the stuff in school just that I was looking at the practical application
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by incogni2o: 8:51pm On Jan 05, 2021
Supreme145:

Thanks so much bro, I also tried out data science, my course combination made it a little easier since I've come across some of the stuff in school just that I was looking at the practical application

Get a personal project to develop yourself Bro.

Get Problems online and fix.

If you are very good, you can register an upwork account.

But you have to be very good first

And that comes with PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:53pm On Jan 05, 2021
Forget data science there's very few jobs available. Cyber security is one of those fields where they value certifications like kilode. Nothing like oga I Sabi am I fit do am as it is in web development and trust me the certifications aren't easy to acquire at all. Cissp is over 350 study hours alone. Those certifications no be beans o.

You have to map out a path. What to learn and certifications that really matter to acquire so as not to waste any time. It's a very good field especially once certified. Less competitive.

Overall I will advise you to stick to web development since money is your end goal. Cyber security will take a lot of time to get a job and get money and it's mostly medium sized to big companies that are always in need of cyber security consultants. Smaller companies don't need them yet. As for web development everyone needs a web developer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 9:04pm On Jan 05, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Forget data science there's very few jobs available. Cyber security is one of those fields where they value certifications like kilode. Nothing like oga I Sabi am I fit do am as it is in web development and trust me the certifications aren't easy to acquire at all. Cissp is over 350 study hours alone. Those certifications no be beans o.

You have to map out a path. What to learn and certifications that really matter to acquire so as not to waste any time. It's a very good field especially once certified. Less competitive.

Overall I will advise you to stick to web development since money is your end goal. Cyber security will take a lot of time to get a job and get money and it's mostly medium sized to big companies that are always in need of cyber security consultants. Smaller companies don't need them yet. As for web development everyone needs a web developer.
Thanks man....shee python can be used for web development too? It seems to have more functionality than JavaScript. Which do you think is better?
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
Supreme145:

Thanks man....shee python can be used for web development too? It seems to have more functionality than JavaScript. Which do you think is better?
This is strictly my own opinion and I will advise you to do research but I always advise beginners to stay away from shiny technologies. The problem is that a lot of this technologies are being learnt by a lot of people so the competition for the jobs won't be here at all and you are a junior developer. It makes it really hard. JavaScript is a must alongside one Framework but for backend I advise people to learn PHP alongside a platform like WordPress or Magento. You can do your own research and take the paths that best suite you.

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by spartan117(m): 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2021
Pls stick to web if you want a job. I'll recommend you learn JavaScript and it's frameworks (React and Node/Express js) There are a lot of job openings for JavaScript developers both in Nigeria and abroad most go unfilled due to shortage of skiiled devs.

If you want to freelance then you can go with php/WordPress or shopify. There aren't many job openings for php developers compared to JavaScript/React/Node devs but on freelance websites like fiverr or upwork there are more php/WordPress/shopify gigs that pay a lot.

What I'm saying in essence is focus on web development because according to a stackoverflow survey (can't remember the year) 50% of all tech jobs are web related.

Lastly in all thy learning learn JavaScript.

"Any application that can be written in JavaScript will eventually be written in JavaScript" - Atwood's Law

5 Likes

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:11pm On Jan 05, 2021
spartan117:
Pls stick to web if you want a job. I'll recommend you learn JavaScript and it's frameworks (React and Node/Express js) There are a lot of job openings for JavaScript developers both in Nigeria and abroad most go unfilled due to shortage of skiiled devs.

If you want to freelance then you can go with php/WordPress or shopify. There aren't many job openings for php developers compared to JavaScript/React/Node devs but on freelance websites like fiverr or upwork there are more php/WordPress/shopify gigs that pay a lot.

What I'm saying in essence is focus on web development because according to a stackoverflow survey (can't remember the year) 50% of all tech jobs are web related.

"Any application that can be written in JavaScript will eventually be written in JavaScript" - Atwood's Law
Lol there are more php WordPress real developer jobs than they are for nodejs and the likes. check indeed and LinkedIn jobs.

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Mosfemi: 11:13pm On Jan 05, 2021
You can start freelancing on https://www.wecruite.com/
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 05, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

This is strictly my own opinion and I will advise you to do research but I always advise beginners to stay away from shiny technologies. The problem is that a lot of this technologies are being learnt by a lot of people so the competition for the jobs won't be here at all and you are a junior developer. It makes it really hard. JavaScript is a must alongside one Framework but for backend I advise people to learn PHP alongside a platform like WordPress or Magento. You can do your own research and take the paths that best suite you.
good day sir, I just sent you a mail ...I need your guidance ,please we really need to talk ...
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 11:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I have observed how you always attend to newbies on this forum no matter how stupid our questions seems. Thanks a lot and God bless you

2 Likes

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Supreme145(m): 11:49pm On Jan 05, 2021
spartan117:

Thanks Baba.....onward web dev soldiers

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Karleb(m): 11:55pm On Jan 05, 2021
Trust me, there can never be enough web developer. Ever!
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by GreaterDC(m): 7:22am On Jan 06, 2021
Forget web, even wordpress can create a reponsive website.

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by spartan117(m): 7:51am On Jan 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Lol there are more php WordPress real developer jobs than they are for nodejs and the likes. check indeed and LinkedIn jobs.
I'm not talking about just node I'm talking about the whole JavaScript eco system.

Also there is shortage of JavaScript developers compared to the rest according to this survey (though it's outdated but I think it still provides insight)

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Karleb(m): 8:09am On Jan 06, 2021
GreaterDC:
Forget web, even wordpress can create a reponsive website.

You are funny, do you know WordPress you are talking about creates more problem than it solves? grin

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:14am On Jan 06, 2021
Karleb:

You are funny, do you know WordPress you are talking about creates more problem than it solves? grin
I don't understand some developers. Do they think that real development doesn't go on in WordPress or what. Can they build a WordPress theme or plugin from scratch. Can they use the WordPress rest API to build a real application. Can they work on APIs within WordPress and connect it to an external application. I don't understand people o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Karleb(m): 8:15am On Jan 06, 2021
spartan117:

I'm not talking about just node I'm talking about the whole JavaScript eco system.

Also there is shortage of JavaScript developers compared to the rest according to this survey (though it's outdated but I think it still provides insight)

Man that's completely outdated.

A lot has changed since 2016.

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Karleb(m): 8:36am On Jan 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I don't understand some developers. Do they think that real development doesn't go on in WordPress or what. Can they build a WordPress theme or plugin from scratch. Can they use the WordPress rest API to build a real application. Can they work on APIs within WordPress and connect it to an external application. I don't understand people o

cheesy

I kept quiet when a fellow told me WordPress is just a content management system, not a framework. Turns out there's a lot people don't know about the framework.

As per web development, it's a good starting point for any developer. Another alternative is mobile application development.

Unless you have a company that's ready to recruit you straight away, it's probably not the best idea to dive directly into AI, Data Science, application security right away especially as a Nigerian.

Unless of course you are willing to go hungry for some few years before you land the job. cheesy
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:46am On Jan 06, 2021
Karleb:

cheesy

I kept quiet when a fellow told me WordPress is just a content management system, not a framework. Turns out there's a lot people don't know about the framework.

As per web development, it's a good starting point for any developer. Another alternative is mobile application development.

Unless you have a company that's ready to recruit you straight away, it's probably not the best idea to dive directly into AI, Data Science, application security right away especially as a Nigerian.

Unless of course you are willing to go hungry for some few years before you land the job. cheesy
I don't even bother with data science. If someone wants to go into cybersecurity it's best to start from level 200 or something. Get the CompTIA and CCNA. By level 300 start preparing for CCSP and CEH. Then get a few years work experience and go in for CISSP. Those exams aren't cheap. CEH alone Is 1200 USD. CCSP is 559 USD. There's nothing like watching YouTube videos or Udemy videos alone when it comes to cybersecurity unless you are doing it for fun. No one will give you a job without those certifications.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by spartan117(m): 8:52am On Jan 06, 2021
Karleb:

Man that's completely outdated.

A lot has changed since 2016.
Yeah I agree. I can't find recent data on that. But I won't be surprised if it hasn't changed by much
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Karleb(m): 8:59am On Jan 06, 2021
spartan117:

Yeah I agree. I can't find recent data on that. But I won't be surprised if it hasn't changed by much

Node js was born in 2009.

It is understandable that compared to its ancestors, it won't do well in terms of job seekers.

A lot has really changed about Javascript.
These days, most people would even tell you straight up to learn Javascript.

Besides, React, Vue and Angular have more developers than some languages.
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by spartan117(m): 11:09am On Jan 06, 2021
Karleb:

Node js was born in 2009.

It is understandable that compared to its ancestors, it won't do well in terms of job seekers.

A lot has really changed about Javascript.
These days, most people would even tell you straight up to learn Javascript.

Besides, React, Vue and Angular have more developers than some languages.
Yeah that's true
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by denvers: 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2021
According to your age, once you finish school, you will need some source of income.
I ll advice you go for web development.

1 Like

Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 04, 2021
Supreme145:
I'm a Nigerian student that wants to go into programming, I'm actually studying statistics/computer science and I will be entering 400lv when school resumes.

I'm already done with CSS and HTML and unto JavaScript but my issue is there seems to be a lot of web developers around and I want to venture into a different niche that I can master within my remaining one year in school,I might miss out on service due to age so I need these skills because I don't intend backdating my age.

I'm thinking of cyber security, and I want to start with python,though I want something I can start earning from as soon as possible(local man is broke)... I have over 30courses in my udemy account, from web dev, to cyber security, hacking etc.

Please how lucrative is cyber security or should I just continue with web dev, I have tons of courses on it, from JavaScript to bootstrap, react,angularjs, node js, php, SQL etc. I also have over 30hours courses on python and it's frame work django with projects for practice cutting across web dev, mobile applications etc

I enrolled on a wireshark course that spans around 64hours for the part 1 and part 2 and I already love that one because it makes me feel like a bad ass hacker. Pls help a brother out, tutorial hell or whatever its called is hitting me hard

Hey Senior man cheesy

I'm curious, cos I'm also trying to learn Js.

Please which tutorial did you use to learn and for the Udemy courses did you actually buy or get some coupons or downloaded the course from a site .

Thanks
Re: I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!? by tosinhtml: 8:00pm On Nov 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

The WordPress stigma is very real, in 2015 a company hired me as a web developer to work on Backend and create WordPress themes and Plugins, almost everyday colleagues make this kind of statements like Expression function.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well / I Feel Bored As My Skills In Programing Might Waste! / The Java Expert Is Back,ethical Hacking Seminars All Over Africa Took Me Away!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.