Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists (185 Views)

Why It’s Dangerous To Start Having Sex Before 16 / Why Sleep Deprivation Is Dangerous To Your Health / "MouthAction Is Dangerous" Gynaecologist Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists by prof2007: 3:27pm On Jan 06, 2021
Virologists have advised the Federal Government against procurement of COVID-19 vaccine at the moment, saying it is unnecessary to introduce it now to Nigerians. A virologist at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, Prof. Rosemary Audu, in an interview with our correspondent, said there would be no need for vaccine if 70% of the population in the country had developed antibodies against the virus.

She said, “We do know that so many people have been infected; we’ll like to know whether we have herd immunity already. Do people have antibodies? Do they have protective immunity already? What percentage of the population has the immunity? If we have up to 70% of the population who have developed antibodies against the virus, then we would say we have herd immunity and may not necessarily need the vaccine. That is something I’m sure within the next few months we should be able to tell.

“NIMR is conducting an epidemiology survey where we are checking citizens for their antibody levels to this virus. I’m sure very soon, we would be able to advise whether the vaccines will be useful for us or not.”

Director, Human and Zoonotic Virology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Prof. Sunday Omilabu, in an interview with our correspondent, said it would be dangerous to introduce COVID-19 vaccine to Nigerians at the moment. He said, “There is something in us that is mitigating virulence of the virus in our body. We may like to call it a kind of immunity that we enjoy through our environment. This is coming to us as an advantage; we have that herd immunity now, if anything comes in now, it may derail what are benefiting from.

“For us, I would suggest they allow people to still use their herd immunity which they are enjoying and is a natural gift. They should concentrate on those few people that have some medical conditions that have made their level of herd immunity very low. The vaccine is dangerous now because we don’t know how it is going to behave in the long run.”

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/its-dangerous-to-introduce-covid-19-vaccine-in-nigeria-now-virologists/
Re: It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists by othermen: 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2021
Important perspective.
Re: It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists by Righteousness2(m): 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2021
The Greatest gift to Have in Life is not Technology
The Greatest gift to Have in life is not being called Super Power
The Greatest Gift to Have is not Educational Degrees and all that.

If you Have GOD ALMIGHTY, you Have the Greatest.

Nigeria may be a nation with Corrupt and evil leaders
Nigeria may be a nation with Tribal Confusion here and there
Nigeria may be a nation filled with iniquity, Wickedness and Abominations.

But Nigeria is a Nation that has People with a Genuie Fear and Love For GOD.
Nigeria is a Nation that has people who Serve Him indeed!
This People are the reason we are enjoying some Strange Grace..
Re: It Is Dangerous To Introduce COVID-19 Vaccine In Nigeria Now–virologists by JaneYave(f): 4:18pm On Jan 06, 2021
The experts have voiced their opinions I hope the people concerned will understand. Anyway, l believe my body has antibodies to fight the virus. If epidimiological surveys are to be conducted, that will take a while considering the hard to reach conditions in some areas and poor facilities, let alone poor orientation of populance towards this steps.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get Tested For Covid-19? / How To Prevent Your Glasses From Fogging? / A Governor's Wife Goes To Houston Take The Vaccine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.