Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? (493 Views)

FCT Teachers Chase Out Pupils From Classrooms (Photos) / Akintade Abdullahi Got Buhari’s Scholarship For Emerging Best Scientist / Esther Eyiuche Uchendu Wins 2018 Young Scientist Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Naijatask: 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2021
Hello guys, I'm a 21year-old male currently studying Estate Management and Valuation in a Federal university in the North.

The thing is, my dream was to become a computer scientist as I've always admire computer programmers.

I actually applied for cyber security science (as it's more advanced than Computer science).

My dilemma is, I'm currently in 400lvl (I would have been in 500lvl, if not for corona and ASUU strike). The course I'm studying, is a 5year course.

Would you guys advice me to pursue a course in computer science after I'm done with my current course? Or should I go for masters instead?.

Please your inputs is highly welcomed (PS: I don't come from a wealthy home either)/

1 Like

Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Djex614: 12:41pm On Jan 07, 2021
hello! I'm currently studying computer science and I can guarantee you that u don't need to Officially study computer science to be a computer scientist. The internet has made things so easy. All the things I know about android development and web dev, I learnt online. the Nigerian University system won't yeah u nothing as a computer science student. Just have a laptop, an internet connection and passion for coding and programming and you're good to go. you could start from YouTube with their free materials before going to Udemy to pay for courses to get certificates. After learning to an extent, you could be a freelancer and make cool cash

1 Like

Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Naijatask: 2:36pm On Jan 07, 2021
Djex614:
hello! I'm currently studying computer science and I can guarantee you that u don't need to Officially study computer science to be a computer scientist. The internet has made things so easy. All the things I know about android development and web dev, I learnt online. the Nigerian University system won't yeah u nothing as a computer science student. Just have a laptop, an internet connection and passion for coding and programming and you're good to go. you could start from YouTube with their free materials before going to Udemy to pay for courses to get certificates. After learning to an extent, you could be a freelancer and make cool cash

Right now, i'm learning Web development (Currently in Javascript). Even though some people have claimed that you don't need a CS degree to get a Job, Most of the opinions i have seen so far, suggest a CS degree.

CC
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
please i will love more inputs.
Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Djex614: 4:06pm On Jan 07, 2021
The certificates you get from online courses from Udemy and the likes would stand in place of the CS degree.
Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Sulele04(m): 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2021
Djex614:
[s]hello! I'm currently studying computer science and I can guarantee you that u don't need to Officially study computer science to be a computer scientist.[/s] The internet has made things so easy. All the things I know about android development and web dev, I learnt online. the Nigerian University system won't yeah u nothing as a computer science student. Just have a laptop, an internet connection and passion for coding and programming and you're good to go. you could start from YouTube with their free materials before going to Udemy to pay for courses to get certificates. After learning to an extent, you could be a freelancer and make cool cash
You said you are studying computer science but still you dont know the importance of computer science knowledge in software development undecided.
Your education is a waste ask your university for a refund shocked.
Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by Djex614: 6:57pm On Jan 07, 2021
Sulele04:

You said you are studying computer science but still you dont know the importance of computer science knowledge in software development undecided.
Your education is a waste ask your university for a refund shocked.
okay
Re: Should I Chase My Dream Of Becoming A Computer Scientist? by greatnaija01: 4:14am On Jan 15, 2021
Naijatask:
Hello guys, I'm a 21year-old male currently studying Estate Management and Valuation in a Federal university in the North.

The thing is, my dream was to become a computer scientist as I've always admire computer programmers.

I actually applied for cyber security science (as it's more advanced than Computer science).

My dilemma is, I'm currently in 400lvl (I would have been in 500lvl, if not for corona and ASUU strike). The course I'm studying, is a 5year course.

Would you guys advice me to pursue a course in computer science after I'm done with my current course? Or should I go for masters instead?.

Please your inputs is highly welcomed (PS: I don't come from a wealthy home either)/

I am a graduate from both polytechnic and university and in both I studied computer science... DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE.... see, polytechnic taught me more practical stuff than federal university. What they teach is COMPUTER EDUCATION not Computer Science.

So yes pursue your passion in computer science by visiting YOUTUBE, UDEMY and learn all the modules there and practice your prowess on FIVERR, also get a mentor so you are guided step by step. Programmers thrive more when they are in their own clique.

I wish you well.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are You In Need Of A Project Writer / BCS Is The New Deal For Getting A Professional Certificate / In-text Citation In APA Format In A Research Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.