Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms (15876 Views)

Vacancy: Ibom Air Set To Employ 4000 Akwa Ibomites / Fayose To Employ 2000 Into Ekiti Teaching And Civil Service / FG Set To Employ 300,000 Graduates For 2nd Phase Of N-power Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Seyi8750: 9:26am On Jan 11, 2021
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Muhylonaire007: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2021
DigitalDesigns:
This will be Best this government has done. God Bless them in advance.

But the Senate will have to pass a Bill on that to make it a Law if the government is sincere

Lol.. Sit down there make pant dey wear you.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by codslic: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2021
Good move by government. Hope the committee acts seriously and not turn it into chopping �.
Nigeria is full of quacks parading themselves as expatriates and taking jobs Nigerians can do better than them.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by bayelsaowei(m): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2021
See mouth..after the government has employed its own brothers and sisters on the platform of nepotism. So the FG wants firms to just employ all nigerians without a recruitment plan that will cover job security and renumeration?

Mumu government ..what has the country done to ensure these companies are stable enough to continue operations..

On exparts, has the country invested much on education and technology to ensure we are competitive to handle the jobs exparts execute?

We have a lot of indigenous companies that barely deliver on projects due to incompetence and the Nigerian factor..
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by sojfarm: 9:32am On Jan 11, 2021
first thing first,

Mr Chairman,

Please give the complaint details of level compliant by the various level of governments in Nigeria to date according the provisions of the extant laws.

Also, are there no Nigerian Engineers and othe professional competent in NIgeria to work for companies as Dangote Refineries etc that the majority of the technical staff their are lebanese.

Nigerians will never take you serious sir until are being seeing serious about the policies you intent to defend.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by 247man: 9:36am On Jan 11, 2021
wink2015:
Na today this thing start.

DANGOTE DEY DO HIM OWN without any federal law checking or controlling his actions.

Left for Coronavirus diseases which forced the indians to leave Nigeria, Dangote smuggled many indians to work in his factory in defiant of LOCAL CONTENT LAWS.

Go to Kano state and see many Lebanese and Syrian doing jobs meant for Nigerians.

infact.... i weak for this fg. they can't tell me they are not aware of this practice in his refinery in lagos and factory at obajana. they are just deceiving themselves... maybe a way to collect more money from the people doing it.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by abdulkabirO(m): 9:36am On Jan 11, 2021
Weneda:
By Shina Abubakar

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/expatriate-policy-employ-nigerians-or-face-sanctions-fg-tells-firms/

Some of the comments here are so unfortunate. We all should promote the policies of the govt, then we can show our grievances. These guys don't pay tax, or employ our people, we need to at least support whatever the govt is doing before we begin to say they have faults. We can hate the president, but not good policies
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 11, 2021
Dead on arrival, Rubbish, now they want to force companies to employ thieves, scammers, liars and lazy Nigerian youths.

They want to actually tell tax paying companies who to employ in their own companies..

Nigeria is a shithole. grin
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 11, 2021
abdulkabirO:

Some of the comments here are so unfortunate. We all should promote the policies of the govt, then we can show our grievances. These guys don't pay tax, or employ our people, we need to at least support whatever the govt is doing before we begin to say they have faults. We can hate the president, but not good policies
And if these companies refuses to comply? How do you know they don't pay tax?

So the Nigerian government are dictating to companies on who they must employ in their own companies.

Would you accept such if you have a company?

This kinda laws ussually comes from a government that has failed, failed it's people.

1 Like

Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by mechanics(m): 9:43am On Jan 11, 2021
Nice move.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by ayusco85(m): 9:47am On Jan 11, 2021
DigitalDesigns:

But the Senate will have to pass a Bill on that to make it a Law if the government is sincere
They should also ban contract staff
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Josywhyte: 9:55am On Jan 11, 2021
FG,remove the dirt in your eyes before u remove another person's own. When u fix our schools,hospitals,give us steady power supply,equip our tertiary institutions and build industries then u can start talking to these foreign companies to employ Nigerians as expatriate. U people run to advance countries to get even the least paracetamol but leave our hospitals uncared for.
Let youths be given ministerial appointment at the top level and see if this country won't move forward...

1 Like

Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by golddust6000(m): 9:58am On Jan 11, 2021
gypsey:
And if these companies refuses to comply? How do you know they don't pay tax?

So the Nigerian government are dictating to companies on who they must employ in their own companies.

Would you accept such if you have a company?

This kinda laws ussually comes from a government that has failed, failed it's people.
The way you speak makes me know that you are a kid.
There is no country in the world that will allow you to brink workers from other countries without regulation.

In Europe and America you are dying so hard to migrate, their laws slated that you must employ the citizen of that country except you have in a situation where nobody in the country is qualified to fit that position.

Ad you can’t hide it because they have labour law that the qualified candidate will pass through. The reason why these criminals are rushing to open company here is because they can beat tax and bribe the government.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by COMPAQ(m): 10:07am On Jan 11, 2021
kalu61:
Best way to go

This is one of the ways Nigerian youths are short changed. Some of these companies keep bringing it their citizen to work here when we have man powers.

Imagine China borrows us money and fools us to handles the project in which they use their citizen to execute them. That's how they own up the country if we don't wise up.

Which manpower do we have exactly? What technology in drilling,manufacturing,science etc has any Nigerian developed? Even in social sciences, what new economic theorem has any Nigeria developed? Even in terms or management science, what new management practice has any Nigerian developed?

We have graduates that can barely read or write. Have not used computer before. Yet across the developed world, kids of 10 are cracking codes for fun.

Even where Nigerians are academically strong, such as someone with a first class, you often find that the individual is book smart, but cannot really create anything with that knowledge. Our education system makes our graduates to be administrators and not innovators and creators.

If you go work for a multinational like Unilever, Shell, BAT etc, you'll see huge differences between how a foreigner works and how a Nigerian typically works in terms of delivery and creative mindset.

So I see no need for this ranting of the minister. Are there not Nigerians posted abroad in many of these companies too?
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by lexy2014: 10:19am On Jan 11, 2021
post=97940620:
Assuming things like this have been enforced all these decades,
Our darling nation would have been the better for it.

Which one has buhari enforced since 2015? Which one did he enforce in 1984?
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by lexy2014: 10:23am On Jan 11, 2021
abdulkabirO:

Who are d "we" that should promote d policies of govt? What then is d job of govt? What business do citizens have with promoting govt policy? Are u a foreigner & do u run a foreign company in Nigeria?
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by lexy2014: 10:31am On Jan 11, 2021
DigitalDesigns:

What makes u think d policy will be enforced?
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by kayjay69(m): 10:46am On Jan 11, 2021
Discussing this is a welcome development however I have pertinent questions.

Whilst this may be passed into law, in form of a bill, what agency of government is tasked with enforcing it?

Not too long ago a write-up was posted here on nairaland where the OP detailed how foreign seafarers worked on Nigeria Port Authority owned vessels. In this case, the NPA and Nimasa are tasked with enforcing the implementation of such directives but I ask as with all things in this country, what happens when a handful of people in power decide to look the other way?

Directives such as these are good but then again who gets to enforce them.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by softset: 10:52am On Jan 11, 2021
Many people don't really understand what the government means when they make these kind of policies.

Nigeria is a very corrupt nation, now government officials will begin to charge a lot more for this expatriate quota docs, they realize that many companies need them. If you were paying about 1 million to get it, now they will force you to pay 2 million or more claiming "Oga, the thing don hard now o"

Before the minister signs, he might be paid 500k through one of his many proxies
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by maimota(f): 11:14am On Jan 11, 2021
Thank day don break for my country. Congratulations for taking the right steps in the right directions
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by kunlegboye(m): 11:25am On Jan 11, 2021
Downey:
Have been saying this for years no one listens to me... I could remember where l did my IT then where each lebanies is been paid 300k per week just allowance not include Salary while Nigerian are been paid 27k per month.
But l don't blame them l blame the labour union that do collect bribe from those companies.
MIKANO has almost 5000 workers and no union imagine that.
[color=#550000][/color]

There is no lie in what you just said.Mikano is even bigger than Nigeria law...Very pathetic, the company has stood by the fact that they won't allow union and it still stand till today... Lebanese were highly paid why Nigerias there are well underpaid... I have to resign after being paid around 40k as gross as an electrical Engineer graduate. Being a slave in one's father's land is such a terrible thing to happen!.

1 Like

Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by gorit16: 11:30am On Jan 11, 2021
Na today .This foreigners especially in Dangote refinery where the Indians pack as thousand of Indian to Nigeria to do the job many Nigeria can. Funny things is that some of this indians will not even hear English.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Scetrocom: 11:36am On Jan 11, 2021
DigitalDesigns:

There is existing law already, but those companies are cIrcumventing it. They want to create jobs for their own country men to the detriment of Nigerians.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 11, 2021
golddust6000:
The way you speak makes me know that you are a kid.
There is no country in the world that will allow you to brink workers from other countries without regulation.

In Europe and America you are dying so hard to migrate, their laws slated that you must employ the citizen of that country except you have in a situation where nobody in the country is qualified to fit that position.

Ad you can’t hide it because they have labour law that the qualified candidate will pass through. The reason why these criminals are rushing to open company here is because they can beat tax and bribe the government.

grin grin Okay, i am a kid, I am guessing in your country Nigeria kids do not have an opinion..

I am dying so hard to migrate to europe America? grin grin I was born in hackney east london!!

Government cannot force companies to employ who the government wants. What they can do is put a policy that would enable companies employ their citizens who are qualified first before others, and it isn't by force, companies can claim that Nigerians are not qualified, again Qualified for the position or to be employed in their companies as you have stated already, Qualified, which many nigerians are not.

Do you have any proofs that they do not pay taxes?

Have a good day!! Grandpa!!
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:46am On Jan 11, 2021
Racoon:
See who is talking? After promising 3M jobs annually but ended rendering more than 17M Nigerians unemployed in 5year? Was that part of the MOU you signed with these companies?

So it is now to force expatriate companies to employ your people but the children of the elites are secretly being employed in choice government agencies or establishments?

Get your facts right.

17 million Nigerians did not lose their employment because of this government.

There are different types of unemployment.

In fact, there are natural unemployments, which can happen irrespective of how great or bad a government's policy is.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Ikpisco: 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
This is a good one if it will really be implemented,
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Blackdisciple(m): 12:46pm On Jan 11, 2021
Another good one hope they will enforce it oo
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by 12inchess: 12:47pm On Jan 11, 2021
I have said it before and I will say it one more time. Nigeria and Nigerian govt are mumu. Its only in Nigeria that it is normalize to pay an expat 10 times the salary of a citizen. If the expat leaves the salary of the Nigerian taking over that position is cut by 5 and all the benefits are removed. Go out of Nigeria, other countries will never reciprocate such nonsense. We just don't rate ourselves at all. Shame! Maybe it's colonial mentality.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by 12inchess: 12:50pm On Jan 11, 2021
gypsey:
grin grin Okay, i am a kid, I am guessing in your country Nigeria kids do not have an opinion..

I am dying so hard to migrate to europe America? grin grin I was born in hackney east london!!

Government cannot force companies to employ who the government wants. What they can do is put a policy that would enable companies employ their citizens who are qualified first before others, and it isn't by force, companies can claim that Nigerians are not qualified, again Qualified for the position or to be employed in their companies as you have stated already, Qualified, which many nigerians are not.

In Europe and America before you give an immigrant a job, the company must prove that there is no citizen available to take it. This is just one policy. The govt can device many more policies to ensure that citizens are considered first.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 11, 2021
12inchess:

In Europe and America before you give an immigrant a job, the company must prove that there is no citizen available to take it. This is just one policy. The govt can device many more policies to ensure that citizens are considered first.
I don't think so, mate! Companies Don't have to proofs anything, they don't even have to abide by the policies. Companies employs those who they believe are qualified, fit and trustworthy for jobs in their firms. Trustworthy which many nigerian are not.

Who is described as an Immigrant? People with citizenship, American or European? or what? Those people are also allowed first jobs as citizens and passport holders of their resident countries.

So who is an immigrant?
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by 12inchess: 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2021
gypsey:
I don't think so, mate! Companies Don't have to proofs anything, they don't even have to abide by the policies. Companies employs those who they believe are qualified, fit and trustworthy for jobs in their firms. Trustworthy which many nigerian are not.

Who is described as an Immigrant? People with citizenship, American or European? or what? Those people are also allowed first jobs as citizens and passport holders of their resident countries.

So who is an immigrant?

You certainly don't know what you're talking about. Any it seems you have UK citizenship so you may not know. But generally, that is how it's done in U.S and the U.K for job based work visas.
Re: Expatriate Policy: Employ Nigerians Or Face Sanctions, FG Tells Firms by golddust6000(m): 2:01pm On Jan 11, 2021
gypsey:

just take a look at how you sound, even if you are born in heaven that doesn’t guaranteed you quality of life, you can lie again.
You really don’t know how system works, now you can go play with your toy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Workforce Outsource Massive Job Recruitment / N-power Is Not A Free Money, N-power Is Serious Business / Rectem Interviewees, What Is The Outcome? Let 's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.