Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives (41456 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Announces New WhatsApp Reactions / Windscribe VPN Mocks Nigerians And Buhari After Twitter Ban Was Lifted (Photos) / Download Aero Whatsapp V8.87 APK With Voice Changer, Hide Whatsapp Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by seunmsg(m): 9:03pm On Jan 12, 2021
To be honest, I really don’t see the difference between whatsapp, Telegram and Signal in terms of data privacy. All of them are foreign companies that will compromise our privacy if necessary in the interest of their home country. Facebook, google, Apple etc already have more than enough information on each and every users than necessary. So, what else will whatsapp be sharing with Facebook that they don’t know already?

Any high ranking government official discussing secret government business or policies on whatsapp or social media group should be jailed. Whatsapp have access to everything we discuss on the platform and won’t hesitate to share with their home government if necessary. I expect DSS and NIA to regularly educate elected and high ranking government officials on how to use the internet (social media especially) in a safe and secure manner that won’t compromise national security.

2 Likes

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by feed70: 9:13pm On Jan 12, 2021
Whatsapp don lose client be that, coz we Nigerians go switch to the next available app
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by ofiko123(m): 9:18pm On Jan 12, 2021
Very Educative write up...FG should do the needful..
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by salford1: 9:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
SultanOfPuna:
Babe: I miss you kiss

Me: Baby send me video of u masturbating

WhatsApp & Facebook:
You mean people are sharing such on whatsapp. What happened to snapchat?
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2021
how do people expect Facebook to spend 19 billion dollars acquiring WhatsApp in 2014 and not make profit from it , Facebook is not a charity organization.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by deenee: 9:50pm On Jan 12, 2021
If you are not using WhatsApp for shady activity nor to defraud people and/or spread fake information, then the new feature should be a problem.

Switching to a new app i.e Signal, Telegram etc is still the same because your information on these apps will always be stored somewhere for reference, so in a nutshell the idea of privacy on all these apps is just an illusion.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by ElValiente(m): 9:56pm On Jan 12, 2021
Thunder fire you. Signal all the way.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by fergie001: 10:05pm On Jan 12, 2021
NoPerfectLife:

Is telegram encrypted?
[url=https://www.google.com/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/social-networking/features/telegram-tips-and-tricks-secure-messaging-switch-from-whatsapp-privacy-2350740%3famp=1&akamai-rum=off]
Chats on Telegram are user-to-server encrypted, unlike WhatsApp or Signal, which are encrypted user-to-user. However, you can opt-in to something called Secret Chat on Telegram, to bring full end-to-end encryption of chats. Secret Chats are designed to be temporary and do not get saved on Telegram's servers. [/url]

Still learning it sha.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 12, 2021
IRSProsolver:

you be mumu o! go and read about NEW WORLD ORDER they will soon microchip you in the name of vaccine then your mumu go tripple
Yea, keep telling yourself that rubbish, you don't know a damm! thing about any vaccine, you have no proof to your ridiculous stale outdated conspiracy theory new world order, it is mumbo jombo!!. You people will beg to be vaccinated eventually. grin i cannot wait to be microchipped.

You still haven't told me what happened to the old world order. grin

What exactly are you afraid of? Are you planning to live forever? cheesy

1 Like

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by SKINDOGGY: 10:17pm On Jan 12, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright....
Na to move client shaperly commot from this whatsapp
You still do waste time nii
Something wey boys don do my side since
Even Telegram dy send everybody message for dia app thanking them for the amount of new users wey just join but las las na signal sure pass, I don register am with my foreign number bayi
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by peacettw: 10:30pm On Jan 12, 2021
It's interesting how some of us are so ignorant of the degree of the personal data that have already been mined by these tech companies...

This is just a drop in the bucket. We have little or no power to subvert this.

1 Like

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by nekejinsi(m): 10:51pm On Jan 12, 2021
OK, sent a link to your mail... The link is 3 yrs old
Pickieox:

Please, I'll like to know more. Mail me @ pickieox2@gmail.com or you can equally send me a link or PDF to that effect. I'll forever be in your debt for this gesture.

Thanks in anticipation smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Olatara(f): 11:07pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It's sad that we will helplessly agree to terms we are aware violates data protection laws.

Our only luck is that we have MURIC who will compel our darling daddy to sanction facebok and Adamu Garba that will sue Whatsapp to stop this fvckery.
Mark Zuckerberg will finally know that Nigerians are no walk-overs.

Till then....privacy is key; signalize your telegrams.
You need help, you are comic relief.

1 Like

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by MrMacinterchi1: 11:24pm On Jan 12, 2021
SultanOfPuna:
Babe: I miss you kiss
Me: Baby send me video of u masturbating
WhatsApp & Facebook:
it doesn't share your message /chat cus it's encrypted. u know read am?
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by ungara17: 4:51am On Jan 13, 2021
They're more scammers using telegram app.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by OyinO: 9:27am On Jan 13, 2021
Too bad. New ICT gurus and developers should come up with something different. We were taught that things like this happens when there's monopoly.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by OyinO: 9:29am On Jan 13, 2021
deenee:
If you are not using WhatsApp for shady activity nor to defraud people and/or spread fake information, then the new feature should be a problem.

Switching to a new app i.e Signal, Telegram etc is still the same because your information on these apps will always be stored somewhere for reference, so in a nutshell the idea of privacy on all these apps is just an illusion.

They are referenced but not shared. WhatsApp and Facebook shares your data or information with impunity. No privacy.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Pickieox(m): 10:40am On Jan 13, 2021
nekejinsi:
OK, sent a link to your mail... The link is 3 yrs old

Thank you. I've seen the link but it's expired. Once again, thanks for your time...
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by BTCog: 1:00pm On Jan 13, 2021
I have nothing to hide. Let them go ahead.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Federov(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2021
Have all heard of SUPFRICA?... the app is just like WhatsApp... You can get to know more about on Google and download on Appstore... I don comot WhatsApp taytay.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by edoairways: 3:33pm On Jan 13, 2021
PraiseGodNoTime:
whatsapp and facebook will likely die by the end of this year.
I doubt that
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by thepoweruser(m): 3:37pm On Jan 13, 2021
zudozz:
I just dey skip the thing since becos I dont even know what its all about!
You see? How many Nigerians, or even most people around the globe give a damn about their sensitive information being used to monetize them using ads?
You think Facebook is bad? Trust me, Google is ten times worse.
There is almost no 'free' app or service that does not try to make money from it's users by selling everything you do. Though I admit that ads are actually useful for web journalism, else BBC will be charging you a sub plan to read their news stories.(Fun fact; SSL or not, I've never been comfortable entering my bank details into any website).
Isn't it curious when the torchlight app you just downloaded is asking you for permission to access your contacts, your location history, your mobile data, your bluetooth and wifi and your camera/microphone?

1 Like

Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by thepoweruser(m): 3:53pm On Jan 13, 2021
seunmsg:
To be honest, I really don’t see the difference between whatsapp, Telegram and Signal in terms of data privacy. All of them are foreign companies that will compromise our privacy if necessary in the interest of their home country. Facebook, google, Apple etc already have more than enough information on each and every users than necessary. So, what else will whatsapp be sharing with Facebook that they don’t know already?
Any high ranking government official discussing secret government business or policies on whatsapp or social media group should be jailed. Whatsapp have access to everything we discuss on the platform and won’t hesitate to share with their home government if necessary. I expect DSS and NIA to regularly educate elected and high ranking government officials on how to use the internet (social media especially) in a safe and secure manner that won’t compromise national security.
True man. Though I sincerely doubt the DSS/NIA would be that stupid. I mean, even Boko Haram wouldn't dare to use those platforms to expose their tradecraft. It would be like them cutting their own throats.
I remember reading an article about a Zimbabwean rebel intelligence operative (in other words, an anti-Mugabe spook) who always carried three 'kpalasa' phones. When asked why he never used a smartphone, he said and I quote:
'Android? [funny expression on face] Do you want to get me killed?'
Although my main man Snowden says he uses Signal, remarking that if it weren't secure, he would've already been dead.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Etesam(m): 5:14pm On Jan 13, 2021
AsampeteNwaanyi:
mynd44 lalasticlala seun oam4j rule 2
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by SavageResponse(m): 12:44am On Jan 14, 2021
zudozz:
I just dey skip the thing since becos I dont even know what its all about!

It has not even shown up on my phone yet
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Xavier0980: 10:05am On Feb 01, 2021
garyjohnson1:

may be it will affect on GBWhatsApp and also other mods like this (e.g. FM WhatsApp, WhatsApp plus, OG WhatsApp, YO WhatsApp, etc.) because these all mods are develop with same script. But I am not sure about this keep searching on google I hope you will found something helpful.
Thanks for sharing this info dude I really like to know more about it. if you can provide more details about it.
Re: How New Whatsapp Policy Threatens Security Of Nigerians And Other Alternatives by Deeni131: 8:57am On Aug 16, 2021
My whatsapp is showing numbers instead of names on some of my contacts, any idea to solve this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Top 5 Apps That Are Eating Your Data / 10 People Who Filmed Their Own Death On Facebook LIVE ! (photos) / How To Recover Deleted Files On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.