Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,467 members, 7,850,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:02 AM

January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! (9208 Views)

Second Bach Of A-29 Super Tucano Fighter Aircrafts Depart US For Nigeria / First Batch Of A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft Departs USA For Nigeria / A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft Project On Course For Delivery As Scheduled. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by V7place(m): 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2021
Gireiboy:

It was an Ibo coup, we will never forgive nor forget. Trying to change history is not going to work.

History cannot be changed; people just write what they know or their perspective of it.

2 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Miracle2020: 9:47pm On Jan 15, 2021
Smoke55:
with all these points of yours can we now divide the country so that everybody will go and mind their business
who stop you? Engage your representatives to tender the request on the floor of the national assembly. I don't even want to share country with your types. I swear

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Gireiboy(m): 9:49pm On Jan 15, 2021
V7place:

People react based on what they are told until told otherwise or they find new information. Call a man on the phone and tell him, you are sending 1 million naira; he will start rejoicing without seeing you or the money; call another man and tell him his close relative like child, parent or wife is dead ; even though it's a phone call- the man will likely go into instant sorrow even though you may be lying to him.
The initial mood in the North was that of rejoicing until the people were presented with an alternative view of things.
The initial mode of the Ibo's you mean! How on earth would someone claim that northerners, real northerners fa! rejoicing the cold blooded murder of the two most idolized northern leaders in history. Haba! this is just freaking unbelievable. It doesn't make any sense, just imagine for example; me as an individual born in the 90's, i still feel some kind of vengeful anger anytime Ibo people try to badmouth Tafawa Balewa or Sardauna (i guess it's probably true we Fulani's neither forgive nor forget ha!), i can't begin to imagine what my people felt back then, and to hear someone say that northerners where rejoicing haba! this lie is to much.
Infact i have a question;
Why would northerners rejoice the murder of their two most prominent leaders?
And as for the Ibo's every honest Nigerian knows they have the motive to rejoice, because everybody knows Sardauna is not in favour of Ibo's dominating northern Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Miracle2020: 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2021
anungangampu:

Why is no igbo promoting him for presidency, even Rochas is looked like a clown from his own state.
Igbo don't praise their leaders, it's a cancerous problem that brought us here..
We tackle others for praising their leaders with huge defect. Eg Tinubu for being a national leader to usher a president that brought recession to Nigeria twice.

what of Peter Obi that supervised the Killing of 78 youths and donated their bodies to fishes of Ezu river?

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Gireiboy(m): 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2021
V7place:

History cannot be changed; people just write what they know or their perspective of it.
Which means they suppose narrative of the historian can be tainted with their subconscious bias, just like you apparently.

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Miracle2020: 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2021
V7place:

Not justifying cold blooded killings, but eye witness accounts that day say Oyegoke either refused an order or decided to leave the coup.
Any commander will shoot a subordinate at that point. It's a universal military doctrine.
because he was a Yoruba abi? Same thing happened to Banjo. You guys are hypocrites!

3 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Miracle2020: 9:58pm On Jan 15, 2021
Kwashiman:

This Oponu is posting old reports from March 2020, if you have been paying attention you would have done your homework and seen that there have been no reports of Fulani attacks in the East since the establishment of a reliable security network.

There are lots of people coming into the East (foreign and private investors alike) to tap into the business friendly environments, just because you never travel pass Ogbomoso in your life before shouldn't be an excuse for your ignorance.
who kidnapped the arch Bishop in IMO state?

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by BSdetector: 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
This revisionist thread only reenforces the Igbo hate and distrust. But the Yoruba's should also understand that the oldest enemy and threat to yorubaland is the fulani, those who know history knows that these people are the greatest threat. From the killing and rebetrayal of Afonja, to attacks on Oyo ile and down to the current herdsmen crisis in Oyo state it is evident who our true enemies are. Still this doesn't mean the coup of 1966 wasn't an Igbo coup.

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by V7place(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2021
Gireiboy:

Which means they suppose narrative of the historian can be tainted with their subconscious bias, just like you apparently.

I am an historian, I write things the way they happened and I am open to correction. David was a great King and a man after Gods own heart; but he was also a murderer; we report things as they happened, no bias.
I like Nzeogwu and his boys; but a lot of unnecessary blood was shed and I equally pointed that out.
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by babzo(m): 11:44pm On Jan 15, 2021
Miracle2020:
because he was a Yoruba abi? Same thing happened to Banjo. You guys are hypocrites!

OP is not even Igbo!!!!
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by LegendHero(m): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2021
So Igbos want to install Awolowo of all people as the president and that was the reason for the coup? Such shameless, cunning, and disgraceful theory.

Nnamdi Azikwe was the ceremonial president. Why would the Igbo officers skip him for Awolowo?

Nwafor Orizu was the Senate president. Why would the Igbo officers skip him for Awolowo?

Aguiyi Ironsi arrested the coupist and failed to execute them while Awo continue to languish in prison without a release order.

Even all through Nigeria history, and Ibo man have never in their entirety supported any Yoruba agenda so where did that love of installing Awo as president in 1966 come from?

Igbos that won't even vote Awo's party during those period are the ones these jokers are saying planned installing Awo as president?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Nobody: 12:41am On Jan 16, 2021
Christistruth00:

We must forgive

Our forefathers did worse when they sold their own people and neighbours into Slavery

How can you forgive those who insist they have done no wrong and deliberately engage in fraudulent revision of history in a shameless attempt to exonerate their kinsmen of blame?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by V7place(m): 2:11am On Jan 16, 2021
LegendHero:
This is the most useless thread I have ever seen.

So Igbos want to install Awolowo of all people as the president and that was the reason for the coup? Such shameless, cunning, and disgraceful theory.

Nnamdi Azikwe was the ceremonial president. Why would the Igbo officers skip him for Awolowo?

Nwafor Orizu was the Senate president. Why would the Igbo officers skip him for Awolowo?

Aguiyi Ironsi arrested the coupist and failed to execute them while Awo continue to languish in prison without a release order.

Even all through Nigeria history, and Ibo man have never in their entirety supported any Yoruba agenda so where did that love of installing Awo as president in 1966 come from?

Igbos that won't even vote Awo's party during those period are the ones these jokers are saying planned installing Awo as president?

Thankyou for your contribution sir. But I disagree with you that this is a useless thread?
For one you are here commenting on it; sharing your opinion; and I seriously doubt a person of your calibre would dabble in anything useless.
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Smoke55: 6:35am On Jan 16, 2021
Miracle2020:
who stop you? Engage your representatives to tender the request on the floor of the national assembly. I don't even want to share country with your types. I swear
who Stop Me? I Think The Best Question Could Have Been Who Stopped Us? Or Don't You Also Want The Country Divided?....Same You That Will Want To Bite Anybody Speaking About Biafra....Smh!! Typical Afonja!
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Deadlytruth(m): 9:37am On Jan 16, 2021
T9ksy:

It becomes even interesting when one consider the FACT that major Okafor, one of the major planner of the coup was himself, corrupt and would have been imprisoned for stealing army funds but for the intervention from his commanding officer, brig. Maimalari.

Thanks for this. From now on let me hear any Igbo monicker here tag it a coup aimed at ridding the country of corruption.

I used to pity Maimalari before now and see his murder as cold blooded. But with this it is now clear to me that he stood in the way of justice by aiding corruption within the army and the corruption later ate him up.

5 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Deadlytruth(m): 9:43am On Jan 16, 2021
V7place:

People react based on what they are told until told otherwise or they find new information. Call a man on the phone and tell him, you are sending 1 million naira; he will start rejoicing without seeing you or the money; call another man and tell him his close relative like child, parent or wife is dead ; even though it's a phone call- the man will likely go into instant sorrow even though you may be lying to him.
The initial mood in the North was that of rejoicing until the people were presented with an alternative view of things.
And that alternative view was actually supported with empirical facts and the unassailable logic inherent in those facts.

3 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Deadlytruth(m): 9:50am On Jan 16, 2021
V7place:

I am an historian, I write things the way they happened and I am open to correction. David was a great King and a man after Gods own heart; but he was also a murderer; we report things as they happened, no bias.
I like Nzeogwu and his boys; but a lot of unnecessary blood was shed and I equally pointed that out.
So why would you like a person whom you yourself admit as having shed innocent blood unnecessarily? I thought people are loved for their kindness and milk of humanness?

3 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Deadlytruth(m): 9:55am On Jan 16, 2021
Smoke55:
who Stop Me? I Think The Best Question Could Have Been Who Stopped Us? Or Don't You Also Want The Country Divided?....Same You That Will Want To Bite Anybody Speaking About Biafra....Smh!! Typical Afonja!
But when Isaac Adaka Boro attempted to split the country, it was you Igbos that stopped him and even got him sentenced to death for it. Now isn't it an irony that the same Igbos are the ones demanding for the split of the same Nigeria?

7 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2021
Deadlytruth:

But when Isaac Adaka Boro attempted to split the country, it was you Igbos that stopped him and even got him sentenced to death for it. Now isn't it an irony that the same Igbos are the ones demanding for the split of the same Nigeria?

Why do you think some of us refer to Igbos as the biggest hypocrites and clannish bigots on Earth?

Awolowo's effort to have a secession clause included in our constitution was frustrated by the treacherous Nnamdi Azikiwe in collusion with the North.

Yet it is Awolowo Igbos will insult and not the traitor Azikiwe whose previous treacherous action had ensured the only option of seccesion they had was war.

When Oju-iku then took them into that ill-advised war then wiped out millions of Igbos, it is Awolowo, Adekunle etal hypocritical and tribalistic Igbos blame not the slimy Azikiwe or the megalomaniac lunatic Oju-iku. Take hypocritical, dishonest and unprincipled Igbos seriously at your own peril.

6 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Smoke55: 10:18am On Jan 16, 2021
Deadlytruth:

sorry! Who Is Adaka Boro?
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Uchek(m): 10:18am On Jan 16, 2021
Can you show me examples of average Ndigbo shielding and praising their own leaders while demonizing and attacking leaders of other ethnic leaders? Do Igbos - and other ethnic groups - have leaders in today's Nigeria?

The last time l checked Nnamdi Azikiwe is despised by majority of Ndi-Igbo. Also majority of Ndi-Igbo were happy when former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzo Kalu was convicted for embezzlement and hauled to jail.

Grayoso:
Garbage thread. OP, pathetic effort at revising history to try and launder the image of the Igbos.

Nzeogwu coup was indeed an Igbo coup. Stop the shameless revisionism. What happened then that is not happening today?

Do Igbos not remain the same people who, day in and day out, demonize and attack the leaders of others while shielding and praising their own leaders?

It really is amusing to always be reminded that dishonesty, deciet and dishonor is actually in the core nature of most Igbos.
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by EagleNest(m): 11:33am On Jan 16, 2021
Too much bias on this thread. The reality is that the so called "Nigeria project" has still not worked after 60years. Do we continue in the path of mudslingging and pretense until it all go in flames or do we take a break?
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by dele1727: 11:44am On Jan 16, 2021
It's very good that this thread came up....

At least a lot of Yorubas and other tribes who don't know the truth or follow history will now know that ....it's good to do once research and take a stand.

All the stories Igbos have always told is riddle with lies..

1, Yoruba are Fulani slave and Yoruba always support the Fulani.... Lies,lies,lies
Azikwe was a ceremonial president to Ahmadu Bello.. a powerless position.. yet he took the NCNC (a party given to him by Albert Macaulay) and formed alliance with the Fulani and got a useless position for it

Again Alex ekweme with the Igbos joined shehu Shagari.... immediately after the civil war..
Where many Igbos were killed ...
Alex ekweme too got a powerless position....

Why the Yorubas enjoy been in the opposition, the Igbos have always allied with the north...

Only recently did an Yorubas joined the federal government.....so who is the true Fulani slave?

2, This same people will accuse Awolowo of Betrayal...ask them how ...no proof will be given

But azikwe that ran away and did not support Biafra is an Hero...

And other barefaced lies....

When you see a narrative... Always do your own research and find your own point before parroting wrong info

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Nobody: 11:48am On Jan 16, 2021
dele1727:
It's very good that this thread came up....

At least a lot of Yorubas and other tribes who don't know the truth or follow history will now know that ....it's good to do once research and take a stand.

All the stories Igbos have always told is riddle with lies..

1, Yoruba are Fulani slave and Yoruba always support the Fulani.... Lies,lies,lies
Azikwe was a ceremonial president to Ahmadu Bello.. a powerless position.. yet he took the NCNC (a party given to him by Albert Macaulay) and formed alliance with the Fulani and got a useless position for it

Again Alex ekweme with the Igbos joined shehu Shagari.... immediately after the civil war..
Where many Igbos were killed ...
Alex ekweme too got a powerless position....

Why the Yorubas enjoy been in the opposition, the Igbos have always allied with the north...

Only recently did an Yorubas joined the federal government.....so who is the true Fulani slave?

2, This same people will accuse Awolowo of Betrayal...ask them how ...no proof will be given

But azikwe that ran away and did not support Biafra is an Hero...

And other barefaced lies....

When you see a narrative... Always do your own research and find your own point before parroting wrong info

This is what Igbos never do because they are indoctrinated in a culture of hate for others that means they must always adjudge "foreigners" as guilty and not their own.

The real history of Nigeria, that any sincere person can research with an open mind, shows unequivocally that Igbos are dishonorable, dishonest and deceptive.

For example, why do Igbos place the "they won't let us go" burden on Yorubas and other Nigerians when documented history, to include some all of us witnessed, shows that several times, post 1950, Igbos have shown they were not interested in leaving the union and actually wanted to profit from it as long as they control the centre and rule over others.

When Awolowo insisted on the inclusion of a seccesion clause in our constitution, Azikiwe scuttled that at the formal voting session convened by aligning with the North to frustrate Awolowo and the Yorubas before the British adjudication panel.

The greedy Azikiwe only wanted a united Nigeria led by Igbos whereas the visionary Awolowo saw that it might be safer to have a get-out clause in case we all cannot get along. Yet Awolowo is the "betrayer" according to shamelessly tribalistic Igbos and not their leader Azikiwe.

Oju-iku too nko? He put down Gideon Orkah putsch for secession 'defending' Nigeria against illegal balkanization.

Igbos said nothing then as the opportunist hypocrites they are. Yet same lawless Igbos, always wishing the law applies to others and never them, wanted to portray other Nigerians as the oppressors when Ojukwu tried to seced from Nigeria exactly the same as Orkah.

Ojukwu was of course unsuccessful and his effort only culminated in a regrettable civil war with many casualties on all sides.

Till today Igbos continue to blame others, mainly the Yorubas and Northerners, for their failed secession effort showing how patently unreasonable they are as a people.

Aguiyi Ironsi nko? Same man who put Nigeria formally into a unitary system of Governance once he thought Igbos could control all the wealth of all Nigerian region under the Government him and fellow Igbos hijacked brutally and were set to control.

Even modern example exists of ndi Igbo two-faced approach to co-existing with others.

When Jonathan was President and favoring Igbos we did not hear any noise from Igbos and Kanu about seccesion let alone the dangerous, divisive and terrorist agitation IPOB put up against the PMB government immediately Jonathan stepped down and Buhari took over.

Any fair person should ask if Kanu, IPOB and Igbos in general would be this restive if it were Jonathan still in power.

It all comes down to the same thing. Igbos are a naturally oppressive, intolerant and dictatorial people who never want to obey and defer to any authority, even an electorally democratic ruling order, unless it is one they control and are in charge of.

History, not the words of any us, show how dangerous, anarchic and hateful Igbos are.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by V7place(m): 11:50am On Jan 16, 2021
Deadlytruth:

So why would you like a person whom you yourself admit as having shed innocent blood unnecessarily? I thought people are loved for their kindness and milk of humanness?

God judges us by our motives not our actions or else no one would have any hope. Nzeogwu meant well in my opinion-but their methods were dead on arrival.
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by fergie001: 11:54am On Jan 16, 2021
nku5:
Lagos based journalist, Gabriel Fagbure reacting to the coup in an interview with the British press the day after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S0F_5ma4lM
Thank you for this video.
Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Paretomaster1(m): 12:04pm On Jan 16, 2021
V7place:
Brig. Zakariya Maimalari. Escaped when the coupists invaded his house and tried to arrest him. He fled by foot and when he saw Major Ifeajuna, he was relived at seeing his subordinate, The Brigadier beckoned to the Major who got down from his vehicle and executed his superior officer.

Betrayal, coward! .....

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Paretomaster1(m): 12:06pm On Jan 16, 2021
V7place:
The plan by the mainly Ibo officers to make Chief Obafemi Awolowo the Prime Minister of their new government showed that the coup could not have been an " Ibo Coup".
Chief Awolowo was in jail at Calabar prison. Captain Ude was sent to release him and bring him to Lagos. Ude was arrested by troops loyal to General Ironsi in Calabar.

Lies..... Igbo seek ti usurp power.. Leave Àwo outta this..

4 Likes

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by dele1727: 12:10pm On Jan 16, 2021
Note...That the above video was only a day after....

People did not yet know the whole truth....

In fact people were unaware of how many had died and who and who died...they just heard a change of government.

1 Like

Re: January 15th 1966: The Day Nigeria Was Changed Forever By A 29 Year Old! by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 16, 2021
Paretomaster1:

Lies..... Igbo seek ti usurp power.. Leave Àwo outta this..

It is what Igbos always do and will always seek to do. We see proof today with shameless Igbo demanding the APC Presidential ticket despite all that the Igbos have put the Party through with their venom, hate, 5% vote and tireless attempt to demonize the APC before the entire World.

Yet these "food is ready" charlatans have no shame now seeking to treacherously grab the ticket of the APC through last minute defection of their political leaders who show no shame with their current and desperate attempt to reap where they have not sown. Why did Kalu and Umahi not remain in their PDP to fight for a ticket they more than deserve?

Did Peter Obi, their golden child, not abandon APGA for the PDP like a cheap political prostitute?

Even Ambode that was hounded out in Lagos never defected to the PDP showing the big difference between a Yoruba leader and an Igbo leader.

I don't see a bright political or social future for Igbos because what is at the core of the soul of the average Igbo is not good at all. They even fear and hate themselves.

Many run to the SW and never wish to set foot in ala Igbo again. Yet they will shout Biafra up and down as if most Igbos will not cry on bended knees to remain Nigerians today, and away from the SE and their wicked fellow Igbos, if Biafra is achieved this minute.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Monguno: Zulum Shares ₦275 Million, Food, Clothes To 90,000 Displaced Families / Peter Obi Increased Anambra Poverty Rate From 20% To 68% - Soludo / Oshiomhole Eulogizes Uzodimma, Praises Buhari For Supporting APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.