Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,862 members, 7,844,793 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

To Nigerians In Diaspora - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / To Nigerians In Diaspora (767 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Nigerians In Diaspora by Ifecotag: 10:45am On Apr 01, 2011
I mean no offense to anyone out there. But after my adventure to some countries and coming across Nigerians(educated and uneducated) there including those that have lived there for years.

Why is it that some Nigerians are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment,people and culture they find themselves in? Must you work tooth and nail and sacrifice your dignity, badmouth your home land and Africa as whole to be accepted by westerners who will always look down on you one way or the other?

How about using our skills and knowledge we acquired wherever to develop our homeland and Africa where people see you as the same?

Please I would like some honest answers from Nairalanders. No calling of names. Highly analytic approach to this thread would be very appreciated.

Peace out.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by justwise(m): 2:40pm On Apr 01, 2011
Ifecotag:

I mean no offense to anyone out there. But after my adventure to some countries and coming across Nigerians(educated and uneducated) there including those that have lived there for years.
Why is it that some Nigerians are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment,people and culture they find themselves in? Must you work tooth and nail and sacrifice your dignity, badmouth your home land and Africa as whole to be accepted by westerners who will always look down on you one way or the other?
[b]How about using our skills and knowledge we acquired wherever to develop our homeland and Africa where people see you as the same?[/b]Please I would like some honest answers from Nairalanders. No calling of names. Highly analytic approach to this thread would be very appreciated.
Peace out.
Thats not true, we Nigerians don't see ourselves as the same let alone the rest of Africa. Some pple talk down on situations in Nigeria cos they are frustrated, u don't really have to blame them.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by yomitesp(m): 3:01pm On Apr 01, 2011
justwise:

Thats not true, we Nigerians don't see ourselves as the same let alone the rest of Africa. Some pple talk down on situations in Nigeria cos they are frustrated, u don't really have to blame them.

Yep justwise !
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by dare2think: 5:54pm On Apr 01, 2011
@OP

You are wrong to generalise. You probably met SOME Nigerians with those attitudes but i can tell you most just have a critique of nigeria/africa but still love their homelands.
The truth is when you live outside youe country you experience a different culture and system that provides a base for comparison. What you now see is ppl comparing the good and bad between their originated country and the other country.

You said "How about using our skills and knowledge we acquired wherever to develop our homeland and Africa where people see you as the same?"
Are you serious? people back home don't even see themselves as the same talkless of someone coming from the outside. Just take a look at the tribalism section on this forum and you'll understand that we are all still different and not ready for Unity.

I agree, some ppl do forget their origins and adapt to some negative aspects to where they reside in BUT MAJORITY just adapt to their surroundings . Which is only Natural.
As for ", using our skills and knowledge we acquired wherever to develop our homeland", you and I know our people respond to change very slowly, a look into our politics is a testament of that, same ppl running it since the 60s (same can be said in other countries though). Tell me why can't obasanjo just retire from maistream politics?

How do you think someone coming from abroad instructing our politicians to properly manage our funds would be treated? When some true progressives in the country are not even seen talkless of heard.
@ topic Its' a sociological thing.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by eghost247(m): 11:25pm On Apr 01, 2011
Yes your very wrong to generalize Op
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by Ifecotag: 12:11am On Apr 02, 2011
Hey Broda's ,

The points you raised are legitimate, and I must commend you all for taking the time to analyze this sensitive topic. I wish something drastic could be done to fundamentally change things and restore back our dignity.

What about the "American" democratic system we adopted. Is it too much for us or purely unsuited to our not so educated populace? How about implement something based on our cultures that works well? What are our philosophers doing to decipher this issue?

Nigeria and Africa Unite, let us move this great nation and continent forward.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by anfanio: 2:02am On Apr 02, 2011
Ifecotag,
Let’s stay focused here and talk about the issues you brought up before jumping into politics. Nigerians want to better themselves in all areas of life, so people move from villages into towns and cities. The same applies to Nigerians that immigrated to other parts of the world, however when there are no BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES, what do you want them to come back to?
To use your words, when the ‘educated and uneducated’ come back home to use their acquired ‘skills and knowledge’ they get frustrated over lack of electricity, good roads, and other things taken for granted overseas. Nigerians are hard working and enterprising people if given the right environment to excel.
If the necessary infrastructures are in place you will be surprised to see the return of Nigerians in an unimaginable numbers.
‘Why is it that some Nigerians are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment, people and culture they find themselves in?’ You are wrong on this, it is the leaders in Nigeria that are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment, culture and the people they lead, they are opportunists without vision for the country.
‘Badmouthing’ Nigeria, the way I see it, is not a bad thing; it’s a statement of fact. When things are not working or are sub standard we say it’s bad, yes situation of things in Nigeria are terrible or bad. I don’t know where you have been, it could be good if our comparison is to Haiti, Somalia and Sudan (my sincere apologies to those Nationals) but if we have to choose a western country, bad is an understatement. I’m not going to tell you the infrastructures and the way things work in Nigeria are wonderful when you and I know they are not. Don’t let us fool ourselves, we can disagree on the words or the presentations but the conclusion is the same.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by endmoll(m): 2:09am On Apr 02, 2011
Ifecotag:

Why is it that some Nigerians are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment,people and culture they find themselves in?  Must you work tooth and nail and sacrifice your dignity, badmouth your home land and Africa as whole to be accepted by westerners who will always look down on you one way or the other?  

How about using our skills and knowledge we acquired wherever to develop our homeland and Africa where people see you as the same?

Please I would like some honest answers from Nairalanders. No calling of names. Highly analytic approach to this thread would be very appreciated.

Peace out.
It is not bad mouthing your country but telling the outside world the truth about your country.
The worst mistake you should never do is to lie to yourself,when you tell some body from a western world that you don't have 24hr electricity,portable drinking water,good roads,good education system,security,corruption etc. You are doing your self a favour by telling the truth and that is not slandering your country. Try and differentiate from saying the truth of what is happening in your country rather than joining those of them who go about proffessing to be giants of Africa and sending out scam mails telling westerners of oil wealth and billions of $ in a dead account that are not true. Most westerners that i meet most time,the first question that they ask me is where are you from and when i tell them that i am from Nigeria the next question is why are you here.Because they be live that Nigeria is a very rich country and there is no need for me to be in there country. It is left for you to tell them the whole crap that is taking your country back wards and to me that is not bad mouthing. i hope you get me.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by endmoll(m): 2:34am On Apr 02, 2011
anfanio:

Ifecotag,
Let’s stay focused here and talk about the issues you brought up before jumping into politics. Nigerians want to better themselves in all areas of life, so people move from villages into towns and cities. The same applies to Nigerians that immigrated to other parts of the world, however when there are no BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES, what do you want them to come back to?
To use your words, when the ‘educated and uneducated’ come back home to use their acquired ‘skills and knowledge’ they get frustrated over lack of electricity, good roads, and other things taken for granted overseas. Nigerians are hard working and enterprising people if given the right environment to excel.
If the necessary infrastructures are in place you will be surprised to see the return of Nigerians in an unimaginable numbers.
‘Why is it that some Nigerians are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment, people and culture they find themselves in?’ You are wrong on this, it is the leaders in Nigeria that are very insensitive and ignorant to the environment, culture and the people they lead, they are opportunists without vision for the country.
‘Badmouthing’ Nigeria, the way I see it, is not a bad thing; it’s a statement of fact. When things are not working or are sub standard we say it’s bad, yes situation of things in Nigeria are terrible or bad. I don’t know where you have been, it could be good if our comparison is to Haiti, Somalia and Sudan (my sincere apologies to those Nationals) but if we have to choose a western country, bad is an understatement. I’m not going to tell you the infrastructures and the way things work in Nigeria are wonderful when you and I know they are not. Don’t let us fool ourselves, we can disagree on the words or the presentations but the conclusion is the same.

I think that when the most of us travell to some where like Abuja we will think that Nigeria has arrived to the elite of nations,but we don't know that we have not yet started. Why are so many Nigerians running to Ghana,southAfrica and all other African countries talkless of Cuba. Imagine a country were everybody is providing themselves with the basic services such as power,water,self health care,security, of which the goverment is supposed to provide. That means you are a country of your own because there is nothing like governace in Nigeria that is why you come to NL and you hear Nigerians wanting to go to Cuba and kosovo to seek for better standered and respectful life. Do you remember the days when we send our wards to go study overseas and we send them money from Nigeria and when they finish studying they come back and get good jobs and live a happy lives. I weep greatly for my country Nigeria and hope it can once again come back to its original position amongst respectable nations.
Re: To Nigerians In Diaspora by anfanio: 3:15am On Apr 02, 2011
Agree with you.

(1) (Reply)

Uk+180k,canada And Usa+250k: Limited Pple Only / Study Abroad Conceptz / Invitation Letter Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.