Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,384 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ (3150 Views)

Baro Port Dormant, 8 Months After Commissioning / President Buhari Commissions Baro Inland Water Port (Pics) / 8 Years After, Buhari Completes N2.5 Bn Baro River Port (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 4:48am On Jan 17, 2021
eduj:

@1 So please tell us the technological feat Niger will employ to "shut" the river Niger getting to us ? It's economically and politically impossible !!!

please stop making unlearned assertions.Niger republic can only joke with the seasonal level of water getting into Nigeria (something that is already being done ) by building dams. Trying to deny (reroute) the river will cause an ecological disaster Africa hasn't witnessed before. Niger doesn't even have the fund to dream about such suicide mission.

2) dredging actually works ,one of the longest rivers in the world (mississippi) in USA is regularly dredged to accommodate ship -google it if you like.

The plan was never to dredge the river Niger to accommodate big ships -it makes no sense for a country like Nigeria. The plan was for barges to be used for movement of goods and services internally. Amechi isn't in support of the river ports not only because he thinks it won't work,but because he thinks trains would be faster (if we can link most of the country).
And please a lot of goods transverse between the regions of Nigeria if you like I will dedicate another post to tutor you about how we can make effective use of those river ports

What plan ?

Are you just arguing to reassure yourself you are smart?
This thread is about what Amaechi said. He was addressing directly the question of vessels entering Nigeria through the Delta and sailing all the way to Baro
He talked about the draft and size of vessels that can come in .So do not manufacture an imaginary argument around an imaginary "plan".

The Missisipi river BELONGS to the USA which has control over its source and course .
The Niger does not belong to Nigeria. Indeed as far as the Niger is concerned Nigeria is the LEAST IMPORTANT NATION as far as the Niger is concerned and given the global warming risk in the future we cannot assume that the Niger will always flow into Nigeria in the same quantum as Other stakeholders face challenges to their water security all the way along the course from its origin in Guinea.
Indeed Nigeria is in talks to divert the Niger to charge Lake Chad

"Dredging" works ?? yes. There are different types and degrees of dredging. The Niger is dredged all the time

Amaechi was talking about a specific type and degree of dredging and why THAT won't work.

If you want to talk about other types of dredging wait until people think your opinions have value

5 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by poiZon: 9:23am On Jan 17, 2021
seunmsg:

Amaechi is one Frank motherfucker who says it as it is without thinking about whose ox is gored.
Frank abi but he built it with 5.6billion naira?
The maritime university at delta, he was against it, n he made sure the university wasnt gonna get funds from nimasa n fed govt.
What sort of double standard frankness is this?
He knew it wasnt gonna be viable, the duty of a minister is not just to head a ministry but also advice the govt what should be done to save situations instead of wasting scarce resources.
In a saner clime this statement will make him lose his job.

5 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

What plan ?

This thread is about what Amaechi said. He was addressing directly the question of vessels entering Nigeria through the Delta and sailing all the way to Baro
He talked about the draft and size of vessels that can come in .So do not manufacture an imaginary argument around an imaginary "plan".

The Missisipi river BELONGS to the USA which has control over its source and course .
The Niger does not belong to Nigeria. Indeed as far as the Niger is concerned Nigeria is the LEAST IMPORTANT NATION as far as the Niger is concerned and given the global warming risk in the future we cannot assume that the Niger will always flow into Nigeria in the same quantum as Other stakeholders face challenges to their water security all the way along the course from its origin in Guinea.

"Dredging" works ?? yes. There are different types and degrees of dredging. The Niger is dredged all the ti
Amaechi was talking about a specific type and degree of dredging and why THAT won't work.

If you want to talk about other types of dredging wait until people think your opinions have value

see your life ? why did you avoid telling us how Niger can block the river Niger from getting to us ?
Please go and search through the reason behind the river and dryports,it didn't begin during this present administration. Even here on Nairaland,we have seen pictures of barges transporting goods to the onitsha port.
So now there are different types of dredging ? and some will work -when someone corrects you, take it with dignity do not try to shift the goal post!!
And how is Niger the least important of countries the Niger passes through?

limiting myself to the type of dredging you claimed Amechi only talked about, I will have you know that the deltas of river Niger can be dredged enough to accommodate ships. It has been done allover the world and is still being done, should I provide examples ?. But like I stated earlier, it doesn't make sense to do such because we have many coastal states.

https://niwa.gov.ng/waterways/. go through the national inland waterway agency and educate yourself

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Many things are stopping us from dredging the Niger.

1. The communities in the Niger Delta refuse to be victims of flood and environmental experimentation They are the most important stakeholders. You do not come to their community and dredge hundreds of kilometres because it will benefirt somebody in Baro or Lokoja whilst leaving them with the environmental impact and no benefit. You cannot dredge in Rivers State , Delta State and Bayelsa state without carrying those states along. Their is no benefit for them. What would benefit them is functional seaports in their domain

2. The Niger flows into Nigeria from other countries in the North and that means they can divert or dam it AT ANY TIME just like is happening with the River Nile in Ethiopia. If Mali or Niger decide to dam the River what can we do?

A Cargo airport in Onitsha sounds more viable than a River port
You really Sabi this matter.

When I was in Bayelsa during the Yardua days, some ijaws there swore with their life the River Niger will never be dredge. And I also agree with them.
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Anambra1stS0n: 11:27am On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Petrol to Abuja via ports in Lokoja?

What cargo is moved from Onitsha to the north? What exactly is produced in Onitsha?
Only an idiot can ask such a question

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 11:33am On Jan 17, 2021
eduj:

see your life ? why did you avoid telling us how Niger can block the river Niger from getting to us ?
Please go and search through the reason behind the river and dryports,it didn't begin during this present administration. Even here on Nairaland,we have seen pictures of barges transporting goods to the onitsha port.
So now there are different types of dredging ? and some will work -when someone corrects you, take it with dignity do not try to shift the goal post!!
And how is Niger the least important of countries the Niger passes through?

limiting myself to the type of dredging you claimed Amechi only talked about, I will have you know that the deltas of river Niger can be dredged enough to accommodate ships. It has been done allover the world and is still being done, should I provide examples ?. But like I stated earlier, it doesn't make sense to do such because we have many coastal states.

https://niwa.gov.ng/waterways/. go through the national inland waterway agency and educate yourself

Stop sounding off ignorantly
I never said Niger is the least important . Can you read?
Amaechi was not talking about barges
There are different kinds of dredging yes even those scooping sand for building are dredging and the government dredges the NIger regularly

even in the last two years there was a significant dredging effort
We are talking about the specific dredging Amaechi is talking about? The dredging that would allow vessels coming from outside Nigeria to go upstream the Niger not barges

Do you even know where the River Niger originates?

Dredging Rivers has been done all over the world to accommodate ocean going ships ?

Give one example please . Just one

The River Niger is drying up and in the coming decades it could be significatly reduced or stopped from coming into Nigeria in the way that we know it today.

Even Nigeria is in talks to divert it to lake Chad

Diverting the Niger would benefit Northern Nigeria so it is not as politically imposssible as you thinks

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Stop sounding off ignorantly
I never said Niger is the least important . Can you read?
Amaechi was not talking about barges
There are different kinds of dredging yes even those scooping sand for building are dredging and the government dredges the NIger regularly

even in the last two years there was a significant dredging effort
We are talking about the specific dredging Amaechi is talking about? The dredging that would allow vessels coming from outside Nigeria to go upstream the Niger not barges

Do you even know where the River Niger originates?

Dredging Rivers has been done all over the world to accommodate ocean going ships ?

Give one example please . Just one

The River Niger is drying up and in the coming decades it could be significatly reduced or stopped from coming into Nigeria in the way that we know it today.

Even Nigeria is in talks to divert it to lake Chad

Diverting the Niger would benefit Northern Nigeria so it is not as politically imposssible as you thinks

1) there are about 8 ports along the mississippi river and currently that river is being dredged to accommodate bigger ships

https://www.bizneworleans.com/work-begins-on-dredging-project-to-deepen-mississippi-river-ship-channel/

Wilmington Harbor Navigation Project (wilmington port) is another port along a river that has been massively dredged to accommodate ships. You asked for an example,I have given two and will likely produce more!

Deltas are formed from the deposition of silt at the point a river flows into a bigger water body (simple geography lesson). Dredging is the removal of solid matter from depths of a water body to increase it's depth,width or manage waste.

Hope the above gives you a better understanding now?

2) divert the River Niger to lake Chad ? you must be a northerner and one without a good grasp of engineering procedure and economics .
Care to tell the house the route this New river Niger will take ? over dry land or channels or into existing rivers? do you even understand the environmental risk such stupidity posses ?
what happens then to imo river, river benue, aba river,orashi river and the hundreds of other rivers that are tributaries to the river Niger ? or what new rivers would feed the River Niger along it's new route?
I can go on an on,but I choose to stop lecturing on the absurd.
a short footnote,the proposed gegelege port of Edo state, hope you know it's situated along a river ? one of the ports I pointed out to you is situated over 50km from the Atlantic ocean

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 6:13pm On Jan 17, 2021
eduj:

1) there are about 8 ports along the mississippi river and currently that river is being dredged to accommodate bigger ships

https://www.bizneworleans.com/work-begins-on-dredging-project-to-deepen-mississippi-river-ship-channel/

Wilmington Harbor Navigation Project (wilmington port) is another port along a river that has been massively dredged to accommodate ships. You asked for an example,I have given two and will likely produce more!

Deltas are formed from the deposition of silt at the point a river flows into a bigger water body (simple geography lesson). Dredging is the removal of solid matter from depths of a water body to increase it's depth,width or manage waste.

Hope the above gives you a better understanding now?

2) divert the River Niger to lake Chad ? you must be a northerner and one without a good grasp of engineering procedure and economics .
Care to tell the house the route this New river Niger will take ? over dry land or channels or into existing rivers? do you even understand the environmental risk such stupidity posses ?
what happens then to imo river, river benue, aba river,orashi river and the hundreds of other rivers that are tributaries to the river Niger ? or what new rivers would feed the River Niger along it's new route?
I can go on an on,but I choose to stop lecturing on the absurd.
a short footnote,the proposed gegelege port of Edo state, hope you know it's situated along a river ? one of the ports I pointed out to you is situated over 50km from the Atlantic ocean

I did not ask you how many ports are on the Missisipi stop waffling.
When was the Missisipi dredged and what was the capacity of ships before and after the dredging.
How many ports were there before dredging
What proportion of US imports or exports are moved on the Missisipi

The Missisipi River belongs to the USA that has control of the entire river. The Niger Originates t in Guinea and travels through so many countries before arriving in Nigeria. The River Niger is over 4000 km long . From the point the Benue joins the River Niger to its end is barely 400km and the Imo River much less

What hundreds of Rivers are Tributaries of the River Niger?

I did not realise I was wasting my time with an ignoramus.

Tell us how many indigenous people live along the the Missisipi River fishing for their livelihood like we do in Nigeria's Niger Delta

Do you understand the impact dredging the Delta to allow bigger vessels would have on the lfish supply and ecology in general?

bottomline.
It will not happen as is suggested

Yes the Niger is being dredged all the time what is different is the scale and extent
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

I did not ask you how many ports are on the Missisipi stop waffling.
When was the Missisipi dredged and what was the capacity of ships before and after the dredging.
How many ports were there before dredging
What proportion of US imports or exports are moved on the Missisipi

The Missisipi River belongs to the USA that has control of the entire river. The Niger Originates t in Guinea and travels through so many countries before arriving in Nigeria. The River Niger is over 2500 km long . From the point the Benue joins the River Niger to its end is barely 400km and the Imo River much less.

What hundreds of Rivers are Tributaries of the River Niger?

I did not realise I was wasting my time with an ignoramus.

Tell us how many indigenous people live along the the Missisipi River fishing for their livelihood like we do in Nigeria's Niger Delta

Do you understand the impact dredging the Delta to allow bigger vessels would have on the lfish supply and ecology in general?

bottomline.
It will not happen as is suggested

Yes the Niger is being dredged all the time what is different is the scale and extent

oh you have now begun with insults abi?
1) I sent you a link about dredging on that river ,not even it's first. One will expect you as the doctor of philosophy you obviously are, to research and post your own links . Insulting my intelligence won't prove you right . You are guilty of various fallacies in your posts even this last one -argumentun ad-hominem (attack on the person instead of the issue). Yet your greatest fallacy is arguing from ignorance (argumentum ad-Ignorantiam).
Let me educate you more, unlike your claim fishing is still going on along the mississippi river.

https://fishingbooker.com/blog/ultimate-fishing-guide-mississippi-river/

Unlike this nation,some folks take seriously the art of statehood.

2) Isn't it ironic that someone claiming that diverting the river Niger to lake Chad makes sense,is shouting about dredging the delta of river Niger ?
Mind you am not saying we should dredge it, am stating the fact that the river Niger can be dredged to accommodate commercial ships contrary to your claim.

You called me an ignoramus, yet you don't know that the river Niger has hundreds of streams and rivers feeding it in Nigeria alone ? That makes your whole write-up invalid !!!! Please google this things up .

3) I know am wasting my time on you.I also know you are fronting an agenda ....... as fact but that doesn't make it factual.

http://www.waado.org/environment/Wetlands/Dredging/LowerNiger.htm

The above link, will put to bed all your assumptions and also give you a better understanding of the Nigerian inland waterways plan.
Pay special attention to the part where Tafawa Belawa (your kinsman) ,on a visit to the USA noticed the economic importance of the mississippi river and wanted to do same on the benue and river Niger. so you see, it just didn't start today

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 17, 2021
let me also state that you continual harping on Nigeria not being in full control of the river Niger to dredge it,it's a non-issue.
we witness yearly flooding in the northern and southern parts of Nigeria when dams further up the river Niger are opened during the rainy season. Has that stopped those other countries from utilising the river to their own good ?
Do you know dredging the river Niger enough,would allow it take in more of such water and decrease the annually flood in the country ?

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2021
eduj:

oh you have now begun with insults abi?
1) I sent you a link about dredging on that river ,not even it's first. One will expect you as the doctor of philosophy you obviously are, to research and post your own links . Insulting my intelligence won't prove you right . You are guilty of various fallacies in your posts even this last one -argumentun ad-hominem (attack on the person instead of the issue). Yet your greatest fallacy is arguing from ignorance (argumentum ad-Ignorantiam).
Let me educate you more, unlike your claim fishing is still going on along the mississippi river.

https://fishingbooker.com/blog/ultimate-fishing-guide-mississippi-river/

Unlike this nation,some folks take seriously the art of statehood.

2) Isn't it ironic that someone claiming that diverting the river Niger to lake Chad makes sense,is shouting about dredging the delta of river Niger ?
Mind you am not saying we should dredge it, am stating the fact that the river Niger can be dredged to accommodate commercial ships contrary to your claim.

You called me an ignoramus, yet you don't know that the river Niger has hundreds of streams and rivers feeding it in Nigeria alone ? That makes your whole write-up invalid !!!! Please google this things up .

3) I know am wasting my time on you.I also know you are fronting an agenda ....... as fact but that doesn't make it factual.

http://www.waado.org/environment/Wetlands/Dredging/LowerNiger.htm

The above link, will put to bed all your assumptions and also give you a better understanding of the Nigerian inland waterways plan.
Pay special attention to the part where Tafawa Belawa (your kinsman) ,on a visit to the USA noticed the economic importance of the mississippi river and wanted to do same on the benue and river Niger. so you see, it just didn't start today

Stop sending links I do not open links

Make your point .

What is clear is you have none and are clearly derailing.

Balewa is my kinsman? What has that got to do with anything here?

The Niger river is over 4000km long and begins in Guinea.

How long is the River in Nigeria? You are here telling us about boreholes and wells from Imo state that feed into the River less than 300 km from its end?

Guy go and sit down . You have derailed completely and are talking nonsense

You said there were hundreds of rivers? Name them

Nobody forced you to make that statement . " Hundreds of rivers" Those were YOUR words

This thread is about the comments Amaechi the Transport minister made

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 8:31pm On Jan 17, 2021
eduj:
let me also state that you continual harping on Nigeria not being in full control of the river Niger to dredge it,it's a non-issue.
we witness yearly flooding in the northern and southern parts of Nigeria when dams further up the river Niger are opened during the rainy season. Has that stopped those other countries from utilising the river to their own good ?
Do you know dredging the river Niger enough,would allow it take in more of such water and decrease the annually flood in the country ?

Guy the Niger river is ALWAYS being dredged.

ALWAYS

We are talking about a SPECIFIC TYPE AND SCALE OF DREDGING on this thread for a SPECIFIC PURPOSE

Tell us whether that would have zero impact on the fishing livelihood of people in Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by GerogeI(m): 8:58pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

What plan ?

"Dredging" works ?? yes. There are different types and degrees of dredging. The Niger is dredged all the time

This person in not just a noise maker, but an unbelievable ignoramus. He is all over the thread stating conjectures as irrefutable facts.

1. Who said you need to own a river's upstream and all through before putting facilities on it. If this is so, why did Nigeria build Kanji Dam on the Niger.

2. Who told you the source of water for the Niger only comes from its origin. Secondary school geography should teach you that almost all the drainage basin in Nigeria and beyond empty into the Niger.

Amaechi is the other ignorant panda stomping around.

1. There is absolutely no need to dredge the Niger in other to use the River ports.

2. Barges only require about 2m draft. Shallow barges can go on as low as 1.4m. The lower Niger has at least 2.3m draft currently.

3. Barges are moved in trains attached to a tug boat.

Someone should tell Amaechi to at least visit economies who depend on River ports before vomiting his parochial pronouncements. Or rather tell us bthe truth, that he has been mandated to focus on building railways to the north. We are not all stupid.

He should at least provide the framework for utiliszation of already built ports before going to collect more Chinese loans to build railways to lead into deserts!

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 8:59pm On Jan 17, 2021
I have exceeded my daily quota for the number of idiots I can engage

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by GerogeI(m): 9:14pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Make your point .

How long is the River in Nigeria? You are here telling us about boreholes and wells from Imo state that feed into the River less than 300 km from its end?

Nobody forced you to make that statement . " Hundreds of rivers" Those were YOUR words

Jeez,
This is what happens when someone wants to show expertise in something they clearly have no clue about.

Rain water, is drained off into the ocean . The mechanism for this is the existence of drainage basins. Drainage basin are depressed lands, crisscrossed by streams, which run into small rivers, which join with large rivers, which still empty into much large rivers to get to the sea.

Almost every major river in Nigeria, finds its way to empty into the Niger. The largest of them being river benue.
So yes, there are hundreds of Rivers and streams emptying into the Niger in Nigeria alone. You will find them in Sokoto Basin, Adamawa Basin, Benue Trough, Anambra Basin, etc.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 9:17pm On Jan 17, 2021
GerogeI:

Jeez,
This is what happens when someone wants to show expertise in something they clearly have no clue about.

Rain water, is drained off into the ocean . The mechanism for this is the existence of drainage basins. Drainage basin are depressed lands, crisscrossed by streams, which run into small rivers, which join with large rivers, which still empty into much large rivers to get to the sea.

Almost every major river in Nigeria, finds its way to empty into the Niger. The largest of them being river benue.
So yes, there are hundreds of Rivers and streams emptying into the Niger in Nigeria alone. You will find them in Sokoto Basin, Adamawa Basin, Benue Trough, Anambra Basin, etc.
This might make you feel smart but it is irrelevant twaddle and tangential to the points Amaechi raised
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by GerogeI(m): 9:27pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:
This might make you feel smart but it is irrelevant twaddle and tangential to the points Amaechi raised

Stop beating around the Bush.
Just accept you do not know what you are talking about.
Neither does Amaechi.

If he starts with ordinary barges today, the economic proceed will ensure that in 50 years, the Niger would have been dredge severely to accommodate ocean class vessels.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 9:34pm On Jan 17, 2021
GerogeI:

Stop beating around the Bush.
Just accept you do not know what you are talking about.
Neither does Amaechi.

If he starts with ordinary barges today, the economic proceed will ensure that in 50 years, the Niger would have been dredge severely to accommodate ocean class vessels.
You do not understand what he said and are arguing foolishly.

Rail is a more efficient approach
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by BastardWike: 9:49pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

[s]
Many things are stopping us from dredging the Niger.

1. The communities in the Niger Delta refuse to be victims of flood and environmental experimentation They are the most important stakeholders. You do not come to their community and dredge hundreds of kilometres because it will benefirt somebody in Baro or Lokoja whilst leaving them with the environmental impact and no benefit. You cannot dredge in Rivers State , Delta State and Bayelsa state without carrying those states along. Their is no benefit for them. What would benefit them is functional seaports in their domain

2. The Niger flows into Nigeria from other countries in the North and that means they can divert or dam it AT ANY TIME just like is happening with the River Nile in Ethiopia. If Mali or Niger decide to dam the River what can we do?

A Cargo airport in Onitsha sounds more viable than a River port[/s]

Stop advertising your ignorance to the world, dredging does not cause flooding, if anything, it helps prevent it. It is like saying that removing silt and dirt from gutters will cause flooding. When you dredge Rivers, you make them deeper and better positioned to take in more water that would ordinarily overflow its banks into surrounding areas.

River Niger is navigable all year round from Onitsha to the coast, only the sections from Lokoja northwards that dry up during harmattan. Niger or Mali building dams on it won't affect the downside significantly because it's within the rainforest belt.

You're only trying to make the SS minorities to see dredging as a threat to them when it's not. Dredging can only affect aquatic life but we all that fishes in their streams are long dead due to oil spills. A dredged River Niger will enhance Port activities at Onne since more ships will now berth there instead of Lagos.

You're a primitive and selfish man who only want everything to remain in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by vanunu: 10:12pm On Jan 17, 2021
BastardWike:

Stop advertising your ignorance to the world, dredging does not cause flooding, if anything, it helps prevent it. It is like saying that removing silt and dirt from gutters will cause flooding. When you dredge Rivers, you make them deeper and better positioned to take in more water that would ordinarily overflow its banks into surrounding areas.

River Niger is navigable all year round from Onitsha to the coast, only the sections from Lokoja northwards that dry up during harmattan. Niger or Mali building dams on it won't affect the downside significantly because it's within the rainforest belt.

You're only trying to make the SS minorities to see dredging as a threat to them when it's not. Dredging can only affect aquatic life but we all that fishes in their streams are long dead due to oil spills. A dredged River Niger will enhance Port activities at Onne since more ships will now berth there instead of Lagos.

You got him, he sounds so selfish.
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Make your point .

you're now sounding like a broken record. So you don't open links ? I laugh because you will soon run out of excuses.
Omambala river ,benue ,sokoto river, imo river,orashi river,aba river, oji river,forcados,nun river and many other streams all flow into the river Niger in Nigeria alone. you see everything on earth is connected and balanced river Niger is feed along it's lengthy journey from it's point of origin to the Atlantic.Some of your arguments just show how unenlightened you are.
Before we go further,can you point how I derailed from the topic?
Are you not the one who claimed the river Niger can never be dredged because of some porous issues?
All I want you to know is that, assuming Nigeria wants to dredge the river Niger from the delta to at least the confluence state,it can be done. Dredging is just desilting oga. And enough with your environmental bullshit!! Building of dams cause almost same as dredging but I don't see you shouting to the high heavens.
Almost everything humans build or remove has a degree of negative effect on the environment. The aim is to reduce and manage.

And yes I had to mention your kinsman , because your arguments are coloured through an ethnic prism,- yes only a dumb northerner would think of diverting the river Niger to lake chad
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 17, 2021
aribisala0:

Guy the Niger river is ALWAYS being dredged.

ALWAYS

We are talking about a SPECIFIC TYPE AND SCALE OF DREDGING on this thread for a SPECIFIC PURPOSE

Tell us whether that would have zero impact on the fishing livelihood of people in Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states

Am also tired of you defending your biased agenda based on the livelihood of rivers ,bayelsa and delta states.
But for you to raise concerns about them means that on some level,you believe that the lower Niger can be dredged enough to accommodate ships.
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 12:16am On Jan 18, 2021
eduj:

you're now sounding like a broken record. So you don't open links ? I laugh because you will soon run out of excuses.
Omambala river ,benue ,sokoto river, imo river,orashi river,aba river, oji river,forcados,nun river and many other streams all flow into the river Niger in Nigeria alone. you see everything on earth is connected and balanced river Niger is feed along it's lengthy journey from it's point of origin to the Atlantic.Some of your arguments just show how unenlightened you are.
Before we go further,can you point how I derailed from the topic?
Are you not the one who claimed the river Niger can never be dredged because of some porous issues?
All I want you to know is that, assuming Nigeria wants to dredge the river Niger from the delta to at least the confluence state,it can be done. Dredging is just desilting oga. And enough with your environmental bullshit!! Building of dams cause almost same as dredging but I don't see you shouting to the high heavens.
Almost everything humans build or remove has a degree of negative effect on the environment. The aim is to reduce and manage.

And yes I had to mention your kinsman , because your arguments are coloured through an ethnic prism,- yes only a dumb northerner would think of diverting the river Niger to lake chad

All of that nonsense is irrelevant .

The issue here is Amaechi's conclusion that the rail is a more efficient and rational use of public money.
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 12:27am On Jan 18, 2021
BastardWike:

Guy dredging of the kind Amaechi is describing is not "removing silt" it is creating a thoroughfare that never previously existed by removing substantial quantum of the river bed thus distorting the entire ecology. .
it will have a significant impact on the lives of the local people and the way they earn their livelihood from fishing and related activity.
This is a fundamental constitutional issue because we are saying should the FG or the state government have control and the final say on whether this should happen.
It is not unrelated to issues in the controversial Water bill in the National Assembly.

The people of Lagos used to be fishermen in the 19th century

That has been lost since Apapa arrived.. When large vessels travel in large numbers small fishermen are squeezed out

This is unnecessary in the 21st century when we have rail
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by BastardWike: 10:43am On Jan 18, 2021
aribisala0:

Guy dredging of the kind Amaechi is describing is not "removing silt" it is creating a thoroughfare that never previously existed by removing substantial quantum of the river bed thus distorting the entire ecology. .
it will have a significant impact on the lives of the local people and the way they earn their livelihood from fishing and related activity.
This is a fundamental constitutional issue because we are saying should the FG or the state government have control and the final say on whether this should happen.
It is not unrelated to issues in the controversial Water bill in the National Assembly.

The people of Lagos used to be fishermen in the 19th century

That has been lost since Apapa arrived.. When large vessels travel in large numbers small fishermen are squeezed out

This is unnecessary in the 21st century when we have rail

You embody everything that is wrong with Nigeria. You are so selfish with crab mentality to the extent you would prefer Lagos ports to be the only viable ones in Nigeria even if it means the city grinding to a halt and people wasting a significant portion of their lives on traffic everyday but provided that no other part of Nigeria takes advantage of it. What amount of fishing currently goes on in the River Niger? Can dredging affect fishes up to 2% of how oil spills affect it?

Dredging the River Niger will be mutually beneficial to both Niger Delta, Igbos and Nigeria because it will save Lagos from being choked to death, prevent accidents on our highways, make our roads to last longer, boost our economy, generate more revenue for government, improve ease of doing business in Nigeria and also make Onne port a hub just like Lagos. These advantages far outweigh whatever adverse effects that may arise which is actually insignificant.

Blacks have remained at the base for others to trample on because of our crab mentality.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by aribisala0(m): 11:45am On Jan 18, 2021
BastardWike:

You embody everything that is wrong with Nigeria. You are so selfish with crab mentality to the extent you would prefer Lagos ports to be the only viable ones in Nigeria even if it means the city grinding to a halt and people wasting a significant portion of their lives on traffic everyday but provided that no other part of Nigeria takes advantage of it. What amount of fishing currently goes on in the River Niger? Can dredging affect fishes up to 2% of how oil spills affect it?

Dredging the River Niger will be mutually beneficial to both Niger Delta, Igbos and Nigeria because it will save Lagos from being choked to death, prevent accidents on our highways, make our roads to last longer, boost our economy, generate more revenue for government, improve ease of doing business in Nigeria and also make Onne port a hub just like Lagos. These advantages far outweigh whatever adverse effects that may arise which is actually insignificant.

Blacks have remained at the base for others to trample on because of our crab mentality.

When you run out of logic what next? Start the sentimental sob song and abusive language derailling from the issues

The Niger Delta will benefit from functional seaports linkked to other parts of the country by railand road
How can it be in their interest to BYPASS them .That is bizarre logic?

Onne can become a hub without dredging JUST LIKE LAGOS
Does Lagos link to anywhere by dredged rivers? Why should Onne or Ibom or others?

There is no need or benefit for Akawa Ibom, Rivers , Bayelsa to embark on any dredging. They have coast lines and all they need is ports linked to rail and roads. No gain and plenty of risk to dredging as well as loss of livelihood. Totally crazy idea

Why should the dredging stop in Nigeria? Why not dredge all the way back to Guinea?

Talk specificallly about Africa.

The Niger is not the longest river. Have there been other dredging success stories in Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 19, 2021
aribisala0:

When you run out of logic what next? Start the sentimental sob song and abusive language derailling from the issues

The Niger Delta will benefit from functional seaports linkked to other parts of the country by railand road
How can it be in their interest to BYPASS them .That is bizarre logic?

Onne can become a hub without dredging JUST LIKE LAGOS
Does Lagos link to anywhere by dredged rivers? Why should Onne or Ibom or others?

There is no need or benefit for Akawa Ibom, Rivers , Bayelsa to embark on any dredging. They have coast lines and all they need is ports linked to rail and roads. No gain and plenty of risk to dredging as well as loss of livelihood. Totally crazy idea

Why should the dredging stop in Nigeria? Why not dredge all the way back to Guinea?

Talk specificallly about Africa.

The Niger is not the longest river. Have there been other dredging success stories in Africa?

You are arguing with someone who likely never learned to use his brain beyond the ambit of dogma & propaganda created by other people

Someone who believes dredging of river Niger will improve the functionality of Onne port lol tongue
Re: Amaechi Tags Baro, Other River Ports ‘waste Of Public Funds’ by lamperg: 2:55pm On Jan 27, 2021
I love catching fish. But lately there are not many places where you can do it. I want to tell you about Clear Lake marine chart https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/clear-lake-ca/ .
Clear Lake fishing map is available as part of iBoating : USA Marine & Fishing App(now supported on multiple platforms including Android, iPhone/iPad, MacBook, and Windows(tablet and phone)/PC based chartplotter.).

(1) (2) (Reply)

FLASHBACK: David Hundeyin Mocks Mynd44, / Atiku Is Running With 2 Vice Presidential Candidates / Obi: I'm Ashamed Of Him - Professor Who Approved Gov Soludo Professorship Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.