Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In (272 Views)

Putin Sworn In As Russian President For Fifth Time / Chinese Carrier Sails Through Taiwan Strait Hours Before Biden - Xi Call / Joe Biden Is Certified As The 46th President Of The United States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by Hermzou: 11:39am On Jan 16, 2021
United States President Donald Trump now plans to leave Washington the morning of Inauguration Day next Wednesday after considering a departure on Tuesday, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday, the Reuters news agency reports.
He will be sent off with a departure ceremony at Joint Base Andrews, said a person familiar with the planning who spoke with the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because Trump’s plans have not been formally announced. Officials are considering an elaborate event that would have the feel of a state visit, with a red carpet, colour guard, military band and 21-gun salute all being discussed.
Trump, who had already announced plans not to attend President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, will then fly on to Palm Beach, Florida, to begin his post-presidency at his Mar-a-Lago Club, the source told Reuters.
Trump will begin his post-presidency at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida [File: Carlos Barria/Reuters]
Trump will be the first president to skip his successor’s inauguration since President Andrew Johnson refused to attend Ulysses S Grant’s swearing-in ceremony in 1869. Vice President Mike Pence will attend in Trump’s place.
Trump broke another tradition by not officially conceding the election to Biden, becoming the first not to offer a concession since the presidential tradition began in 1896. The president has not reached out to Biden or invited him to the White House for a meeting prior to his swearing in as many others have in recent history.
Pence, for his part, did speak with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on Thursday, the Associated Press reports, citing two people familiar with the conversation.
It’s the first known contact between the elected members of the outgoing and incoming administrations.
One of the people familiar with the Thursday afternoon conversation described it as a “good call,” with Pence congratulating his successor and offering assistance. They spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the private conversation.
Trump will leave Washington after spending months making baseless allegations of voter fraud in an attempt to delegitimise Biden’s presidency and two weeks after he incited a violent insurrection, with his supporters storming the US Capitol building in an attempt to halt the peaceful transition of power.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/15/trump-to-leave-washington-just-before-biden-is-sworn-in

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by Fahdiga(m): 11:40am On Jan 16, 2021
He is free to relocate to Igbo land since all his supporters resides there. he should hurry before Buhari impose a travel ban on him

1 Like

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by MOLOTOVcockTAIL(m): 11:40am On Jan 16, 2021
Disgraced Mofo

1 Like

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by espn(m): 11:44am On Jan 16, 2021
What a shame...Adult behaving like a kid...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by schoolboymatt(m): 11:45am On Jan 16, 2021
can the swearing in still take place without the presence of the sitting president?

just curious
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by thesicilian: 12:00pm On Jan 16, 2021
Fahdiga:
He is free to relocate to Igbo land since all his supporters resides there. he should hurry before Buhari impose a travel ban on him
You tribal bigots always have a way of revealing yourselves even when the issue at hand is not even remotely tribal.
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by thesicilian: 12:03pm On Jan 16, 2021
schoolboymatt:
can the swearing in still take place without the presence of the sitting president?

just curious
Yes. According to their constitution, the only people needed are the President being sworn in, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who administers the oath, and may a few witnesses. The outgoing president constitutionally doesn't even have to be there

1 Like

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by Fahdiga(m): 12:12pm On Jan 16, 2021
thesicilian:

You tribal bigots always have a way of revealing yourselves even when the issue at hand is not even remotely tribal.
Is there any tribal colouration in my post?
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by thesicilian: 12:35pm On Jan 16, 2021
Fahdiga:
Is there any tribal colouration in my post?
No sir, just the drawing
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by Fahdiga(m): 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2021
thesicilian:

No sir, just the drawing
All I know is that I'm not a tribalist and will never be one. I hate bigots.
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by thesicilian: 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2021
Fahdiga:
All I know is that I'm not a tribalist and will never be one. I hate bigots.
Okay. My apologies.
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by Fahdiga(m): 12:58pm On Jan 16, 2021
thesicilian:
Okay. My apologies.
No problem dear, just catching cruise

1 Like

Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by oluwatoyosi8755: 3:26pm On Jan 16, 2021
Re: Trump To Leave Washington Just Before Biden Is Sworn In by recievesense: 4:12pm On Jan 16, 2021
grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

It’s Over: Trump’s Era Ends As He Departs Washington To Florida / 21 Things You Should Know About Kamala Harris, Joe Biden’s Vice Presidential Run / Media War As China Bans BBC News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.