Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics (1511 Views)

My Dry Season Rice And Okra Farm (pics) / See The Antelope My Cousin Killed Today In The Farm (photo) / Slow Loris: Animal Caught Alive On The Farm By A Nairalander (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 1:04pm On Jan 16, 2021
So today 16 Jan 2021 , some of my farm assistants helping me to wet a 4 hectare maize farm came across a hole immediately water entered the hole they saw a mother land squirrel run out of the hole and soon this 3 younger ones followed but were unfortunate as they were killed by the workers .
Although am not interested in the kill but am happy they killed cos this land squirrel are very destructive they have already removed 1/2 plot of the farm .
The uproot and eat the germinating maize and if u poison maize and pour on the floor they will not eat but once they see a germinating one they will uproot and eat the maize seed and once this happens that particular maize will not grow again.

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 1:05pm On Jan 16, 2021
The hole

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Kriss216: 1:11pm On Jan 16, 2021
Innocent squirrels.

God rest their souls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Soknown: 1:13pm On Jan 16, 2021
noeloge82:
So today 16 Jan 2021 , some of my farm assistants helping me to wet a 4 hectare maize farm came across a hole immediately water entered the hole they saw a mother land squirrel run out of the hole and soon this 3 younger ones followed but were unfortunate as they were killed by the workers .
Although am not interested in the kill but am happy they killed cos this land squirrel are very destructive they have already removed 1/2 plot of the farm .
The uproot and eat the germinating maize and if u poison maize and pour on the floor they will not eat but once they see a germinating one they will uproot and eat the maize seed and once this happens that particular maize will not grow again.
4 hectares is a large expanse of land, you will need to do more to control pests like these. Is there any biological control that can take care of rodents?

2 Likes

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by OlayemiAshraf(m): 1:13pm On Jan 16, 2021
We are waiting for the pot view o
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Mide3367: 1:16pm On Jan 16, 2021
I saw this right now in owo.. I never knew they were squirrels o. I even ate peppered and smoked squirrel meat day before yesterday

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 1:30pm On Jan 16, 2021
Soknown:

4 hectares is a large expanse of land, you will need to do more to control pests like these. Is there any biological control that can take care of rodents?

No biological control u keep setting traps , wire traps around hoping that one day it will be trapped

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 16, 2021
Hmm
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 1:31pm On Jan 16, 2021
OlayemiAshraf:

grin grin that's for the farm assistance am just happy their terror will be minimized

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by debbydams(f): 1:45pm On Jan 16, 2021
Op send one kiss

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by aarin29642: 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2021
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Alberttahir: 5:50pm On Jan 16, 2021
Land squirrel don't attack germinating maize seed, but bush fowls or rats
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Soknown: 6:19pm On Jan 16, 2021
noeloge82:

No biological control u keep setting traps, wire traps around hoping that one day it will be trapped
I hope that in the nearest future, there will be plants that can deter rodents and other pests from farms. Recently I was reading about the hassles that Rice farmers go through with bird invasion.
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 6:56pm On Jan 16, 2021
Alberttahir:
Land squirrel don't attack germinating maize seed, but bush fowls or rats

This is not correct , land squirrels do , you can find out from any maize farmer around
If ur in the East ask the farmers what ulili does to germinating maize while in the west ask of iku
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 6:56pm On Jan 16, 2021
Soknown:

I hope that in the nearest future, there will be plants that can deter rodents and other pests from farms. Recently I was reading about the hassles that Rice farmers go through with bird invasion.

Well only time shall tell
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Redomi(m): 7:05pm On Jan 16, 2021
Beautiful creature

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Timmylehyn(m): 5:26pm On Feb 10, 2021
noeloge82:

I have a question. Do you intend selling the Mia e frehs or dried? What's the possibility of selling 4 hectares of fresh maize here in the southwest with optimum plant population?
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2021
Timmylehyn:

I have a question. Do you intend selling the Mia e frehs or dried? What's the possibility of selling 4 hectares of fresh maize here in the southwest with optimum plant population?

Yes I intend selling fresh and to be sincere here in south west selling fresh is not a big deal , the only problem farmers have during sales is not making proper arrangements during planting .
For me the women who roast corn are already disturbing me following the progress of the farm.
1 week to sales I will be contacting as many of them but I don't intend selling all on the same day , I normally prefer selling 1 Hectare per day or at most 2 hectares per day this helps me to create artificial scarcity during sales

2 Likes

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by Timmylehyn(m): 1:23pm On Feb 12, 2021
noeloge82:

Yes I intend selling fresh and to be sincere here in south west selling fresh is not a big deal , the only problem farmers have during sales is not making proper arrangements during planting .
For me the women who roast corn are already disturbing me following the progress of the farm.
1 week to sales I will be contacting as many of them but I don't intend selling all on the same day , I normally prefer selling 1 Hectare per day or at most 2 hectares per day this helps me to create artificial scarcity during sales
Omo! See my life. Lol. I sent you a WhatsApp message. I have lots to learn. Thanks for this tip!
Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 5:10pm On Feb 15, 2021
Timmylehyn:

Omo! See my life. Lol. I sent you a WhatsApp message. I have lots to learn. Thanks for this tip!
Yea replied

1 Like

Re: Land/ground Squirrel Killed In The Farm Pics by noeloge82(m): 10:47pm On Feb 28, 2021
You don't need to compare yourself with people farming 10 hectares when your pocket can only carry 2 hectares , always match your plan with your pocket size and practice the best Agricultural system to get the best results

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Odourless Fufu Of 1kg Pack Sizes In Retails And Wholesales / Over 500,000 Litres Of Palm Oil For Sale (at A Discount Rate) / Oven Smoked Blue Whiting(panla)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.